Gig Etiquette

I've been eyeing a debate on Twitter on what people's opinions are on the dos, don'ts and their rules on gigging.  The discussion has included everything from taking photos and videos to lack of deodorant!

For me, a rule would be no assaulting of any kind!  Speaking from experience, it ruined my first proper gig at the age of 15.

What are your thoughts?
PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Don't carry fucking backpacks (for fuck sakes tenclubbers).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • edited June 2019
     :) 
    Post edited by KingJeremyTheWicked82 on
  • Don't carry fucking backpacks (for fuck sakes tenclubbers).
    It's almost like an extra person!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I bring one and I take it off when I'm in a crowd or entering a train/subway.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I've been eyeing a debate on Twitter on what people's opinions are on the dos, don'ts and their rules on gigging.  The discussion has included everything from taking photos and videos to lack of deodorant!

For me, a rule would be no assaulting of any kind!  Speaking from experience, it ruined my first proper gig at the age of 15.

What are your thoughts?
    I'm sorry to hear you were assaulted at a gig.   Being assaulted anywhere is a crime.  And it stays in your mind.  I've been assaulted twice as an adult and as a lid, what was called "bullying" as a kid (being kicked in the nuts, punched in the back without warning) was also assault.  These incidents never go away completely. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

What are your thoughts?
    I'm sorry to hear you were assaulted at a gig.   Being assaulted anywhere is a crime.  And it stays in your mind.  I've been assaulted twice as an adult and as a lid, what was called "bullying" as a kid (being kicked in the nuts, punched in the back without warning) was also assault.  These incidents never go away completely. 
    There should be zero tolerance for assaults at gigs/shows.  I didn't say anything to anyone when it happened as I was quite young and mortified but it's disgusting to think it still goes on.  That sounds awful what happened to you!  :o
    I bring one and I take it off when I'm in a crowd or entering a train/subway.
    Me too. People at Stockholm 2014, did not.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Somethings are worse these days, some better.

Worse:  Cell phones and cell phone cameras.  Very irritating! 

Better:  When I saws Hendrix at Winterland in '68, this big bear of a guy brought in a huge staff decorated with leather strips and feather and what not- a sort of aboriginal/ native thing- that he pounded on the floor throughout the whole show while screaming at the top of his lungs.  I managed to work my way away from the guy before I lost a few toes (hopefully no one else was a victim).  I don't think that's allowed in shows anymore. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I have a hard time hating on the smartphones, when it has given us video of big Pearl Jam moments. 
    It even helped their Temple of the Dog reissue
    If one person is doing it fine, not all of GA...
    If one person is doing it fine, not all of GA...
    I'd say one in GA focusing mainly on Ed. One a bit further back being free to focus on other members. And than one who captures the whole stage.

So three (3) :)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Don’t be a drunk asshole. 
    Leave your big ass signs at home.  
    Please don’t try to be louder than Ed.  
    Loud whistling sucks ass. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Leave your kid at home so I don't have tougher competition for the tambo...
    edited June 2019
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    mcgruff10 said:
    "That's not whistling... thats feedback"

Guess the show.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Don’t puke. Or if you have to, do it in the bathroom. 
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Ruh-roh... Someone is now going to revive The Boston Puke thread.
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

Guess the show.
    Give me a hint
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    Don't be a dick, be considerate of others without being a push over, and do what everyone else is doing in terms of standing/sitting. And of course don't hold your damn phone up so you're blocking views from behind.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Guess the show.
    Give me a hint
    @PJ_Soul might have been at the show

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Renfield said:
    bbiggs said:
    Must be something about Boston. I had a girl puke on the ground, directly in front of me at Fenway this year. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Guess the show.
    Give me a hint
    @PJ_Soul might have been at the show

:confused:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Better:  When I saws Hendrix at Winterland in '68, this big bear of a guy brought in a huge staff decorated with leather strips and feather and what not- a sort of aboriginal/ native thing- that he pounded on the floor throughout the whole show while screaming at the top of his lungs.  I managed to work my way away from the guy before I lost a few toes (hopefully no one else was a victim).  I don't think that's allowed in shows anymore. 
    Lol
    This kind of crazy shit is what makes concerts fun. I don’t give a shit what anybody does as long as they aren’t touching anyone, so yep, no assaults and we good. Also, if you’re smoking  weed you should offer to the people around you.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Applies to most things in life:  Don't be an asshole.

If only...
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    bbiggs said:
    Renfield said:
    bbiggs said:
    Must be something about Boston. I had a girl puke on the ground, directly in front of me at Fenway this year. 
    It’s the Green Monster 🤢 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    The big three: No cutting in GA. No farting. Don’t be an asshole! (Seriously, you are there to have fun)
    edited June 2019
    The big three: No cutting in GA. No farting. Don’t be an asshole! (Seriously, you are there to have fun)
    Rather have people farting than puking though. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    Rather have people farting than puking those. 
    I’ve never been around a puker, but probably every other big show I go to has me near the guy who had White Castles at lunch and three burritos for dinner. 
    Good gig etiquette:

Grate gig etiquette: