Internet risks

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/25/us/false-racism-internet-mob-chipotle-video/index.html

Very good article about the rush to make judgments on the internet without having (or really caring to have) all the information.
hippiemom = goodness

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I find this to be a difficult line to walk. You try to wait for information m, and sometimes when you are others are calling you out for not condemning things quickly enough. Then if they turn out to be true, you can be made to look like an idiot for not condemning it fast enough.

I think what we all should probably remember is, you are literally seeing 1 persons point of view for a very short period of time in what is usually a much longer issue.  It’s tough to do in the moment as initial reaction tried to take over. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I think there are at least two things going on here:  Knee jerk reactions and ADHD.  It's very easy to react quickly to an internet post that is cleverly worded along with an image selected with a reaction in mind.  Happens all the time.  I've done it, you've probably done it, we've all done it to some degree at one time or another. 

The other problem is attention deficit disorder- and this one is becoming universal and high speed internet has a lot to do with it.  Tons of information is at our fingertips and more and more it's just the quick headline or a synopsis of just a few sentences that pass as "information".    Hit-and-run news scanning.  And with such a huge barrage of information being thrown out there, it's no wonder we move from one thing on to the next in rapid fire.  Add to that, much of it is pure bullshit- stuff that does not really matter in the long run.  Crazy world we live in.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    edited May 2019
    people are too quick to react emotionally. We  need to engage our critical thinking more
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    We’ve become a society of instant gratification I know I’m guilty of it , just retweet or post articles without reading them ! Everything has to happen immediately..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....