Curb Your Enthusiasm

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Jeff Tweedy is going to be on an episode in the new season.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    I am rewatching Curb, again, and I've never realized how much Cheryl was a bitch. I always just thought of her as a nagging wife but a generally nice person. But man, Larry wasn't that bad of a husband, especially compared to Jeff.
    She was definitely more likable in the first few seasons but to divorce him over petty stuff is bullshit. He couldn't HEAR her! It's not that he chose the Tivo guy over her. He just couldn't HEAR her. Then she immediately holds hands and starts dating that No Fly Zone guy? Fuck that bullshit. And then she leaves him with the Blacks, after flying them thousands of miles to live in their house, and never talks to them again....then only is nice to Larry when she realized he would cast her in the Seinfeld reunion......THEN she dates Ted Danson?!??!?!

Fuck Cheryl David.
    Lol, I agree. She's terrible.
    I want to start binge-watching this too, from the beginning. I've actually not seen a LOT of them, especially not the last several seasons... Because I don't get HBO. It's so expensive here. They were rerunning it on some other channel before, but not anymore, or maybe I cancelled that channel too; I'm down to basic cable now (which is surprisingl unbasic IMO). I really wish Netflix or Prime would buy the rights.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It's on Amazon Prime via HBO here (Canada is likely different).

I had no idea a tenth season is forthcoming.  Woohoo!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    hedonist said:

No Funkhouser though
    RIP
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    hedonist said:

We have Crave TV here instead - that includes the HBO stuff plus movies plus shows from showtime and starz. Costs the same as an HBO subscription (around $20/month)... I worked hard at cutting down my cable bill, so $20/month more... I dunno. It goes against the plan I have for lowering my cable costs, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Not a small penis, she has a HUGE vagina!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    JK_Livin said:
    Not a small penis, she has a HUGE vagina!
    hahahaha!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Larry David was the secret on Seinfeld.  Watching Jerry try to be funny in Comedians in Cars is painful.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Larry David was the secret on Seinfeld.  Watching Jerry try to be funny in Comedians in Cars is painful.
    He’s the real life George Costanza...I’ve heard, I mean.
    I have been watching a lot of the Seinfeld DVD extras on youtube recently and all the interviews with writers, cast, producers about highlights of each season.  George said he went to Larry after one reading and said the story line was unrealistic and no one would react like George would.  Larry said, “what do you mean?  That is exactly how I reacted.”  I thought was funny.   These interviews are super interesting.  

Never realized that Seinfeld was the only actor in the group to get royalties.  The rest of the cast gets nothing. Crazy.

Seinfeld is too analytical and tries to make the jokes smart so he seems smart.  Give him credit for the show but his stand up is like watching paint dry. Curb is unscripted and they kill it every week.  
    I have been watching a lot of the Seinfeld DVD extras on youtube recently and all the interviews with writers, cast, producers about highlights of each season.  George said he went to Larry after one reading and said the story line was unrealistic and no one would react like George would.  Larry said, “what do you mean?  That is exactly how I reacted.”  I thought was funny.   These interviews are super interesting.  

Never realized that Seinfeld was the only actor in the group to get royalties.  The rest of the cast gets nothing. Crazy.

Seinfeld is too analytical and tries to make the jokes smart so he seems smart.  Give him credit for the show but his stand up is like watching paint dry. Curb is unscripted and they kill it every week.  
    I think Seinfeld's act is fucking great 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I love Jerry's act too but I do have complaints. In 1998, he did a HBO special called "I'm Telling You For The Last Time." In it, he did all of his old bits and "retired" his act. He then created an entirely new act. Some of his creation of the new act was documented in the documentary "Comedian." I saw the new act live in about 2006 or so and it was fucking hilarious. I regret not having a tape recorder. Not to bootleg it for others, but for myself. He was great. Many of the bits related to the Iraq War that was going on that the time, and they were great. 

But in the years that followed that, he began sprinkling in a lot of the old jokes. I think he thinks he's like a musician or something, where fans would want to hear the "hits" they're familiar with. Well he's dead wrong about that. That works for songs, but not for comedy bits (for me anyway). I saw him a few years after the 2006 show, and he actually did the "laundry day is the most exciting day for clothes" bit from the FIRST episode of Seinfeld! I couldn't fucking believe it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I love Jerry's act too but I do have complaints. In 1998, he did a HBO special called "I'm Telling You For The Last Time." In it, he did all of his old bits and "retired" his act. He then created an entirely new act. Some of his creation of the new act was documented in the documentary "Comedian." I saw the new act live in about 2006 or so and it was fucking hilarious. I regret not having a tape recorder. Not to bootleg it for others, but for myself. He was great. Many of the bits related to the Iraq War that was going on that the time, and they were great. 

But in the years that followed that, he began sprinkling in a lot of the old jokes. I think he thinks he's like a musician or something, where fans would want to hear the "hits" they're familiar with. Well he's dead wrong about that. That works for songs, but not for comedy bits (for me anyway). I saw him a few years after the 2006 show, and he actually did the "laundry day is the most exciting day for clothes" bit from the FIRST episode of Seinfeld! I couldn't fucking believe it. 
    Yeah....still funny though. 

I have no idea as to the answer but I wonder how common it is for comedians to back to the well like that. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited August 2019

Yeah....still funny though. 

I have no idea as to the answer but I wonder how common it is for comedians to back to the well like that. 
    I don't think it's very common. Rock, CK, and Gervais seemed a little surprised when Jerry suggested he does jokes as old as 10-years-old in this video.  I actually think they would have been critical if it was anyone else saying it. 

This is a great video worth watching for a variety of reasons. The four of them just talking stand-up. Watch the whole thing. I don't know why the video is starting in the middle because I didn't mean set it like that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKY6BGcx37k

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I just don't think any of the 5 minutes on this clip is funny enough to laugh at.  I feel like the crowd is there to acknowledge the work he put into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR1ckgXN8G0

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I saw Seinfeld when he was in town a year or two ago.  It was a good show, but I've seen better.  There were a couple of jokes I've heard him do before.
    On Comedians, I think when he tells a joke or specifically tries to be funny, it's generally "meh"...but I think it's his observational comments that are hilarious.
    No question, when Larry David left Seinfeld, the show became significantly less funny.  
    Larry was the real mastermind behind it all. 
    edited August 2019
    mca47 said:
    I saw Seinfeld when he was in town a year or two ago.  It was a good show, but I've seen better.  There were a couple of jokes I've heard him do before.
    On Comedians, I think when he tells a joke or specifically tries to be funny, it's generally "meh"...but I think it's his observational comments that are hilarious.
    No question, when Larry David left Seinfeld, the show became significantly less funny.  
    Larry was the real mastermind behind it all. 
    Totally agree with this.  Some of my favorite stand-ups shine in conversational mode (Shandling, David, MacDonald).

Repeat stuff?  I'm generally not a fan, but still laugh my ass off at Carlin routines (among others) that I've heard hundreds of times.

I just don't think any of the 5 minutes on this clip is funny enough to laugh at.  I feel like the crowd is there to acknowledge the work he put into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR1ckgXN8G0

Different strokes. I literally laughed out loud a couple times at the postal service bit. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yep.  We all have different tastes and they change over time.  
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Last nights episode pretty damn good

haha that cooky old man
    edited January 2020
    CROJAM95 said:

haha that cooky old man
    For a show that is 20 years old now, the entertainment value is fucking incredible. 

I was a little worried after the first five minutes because it just seemed like they were trying to do too much and he just seemed like an angry old man being rude to people....but damn. Might've ended up as a top fiver when it was finished. Fantastic episode. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    CROJAM95 said:

haha that cooky old man
    For a show that is 20 years old now, the entertainment value is fucking incredible. 

I was a little worried after the first five minutes because it just seemed like they were trying to do too much and he just seemed like an angry old man being rude to people....but damn. Might've ended up as a top fiver when it was finished. Fantastic episode. 
    yeah i thought it was great. larry was exceptionally pissed off the first few minutes though. it kind of made me not like him as much, as he usually tries to at least be nice, no matter how impossible it is for him. 

leon is great as usual. love the "lampin" chain he was rocking.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i can see the MAGA hat as a recurring thing this season.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    New season?  I guess I need to get HBO again...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Yeah the first episode was hilarious
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    That was some funny stuff.  Opening his own coffee shop next to Mocha Joe out of spite is Larry at his best!
    That was some funny stuff.  Opening his own coffee shop next to Mocha Joe out of spite is Larry at his best!
    A spite store.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Follows up an all time classic with possibly the worst episode of Curb ever. That was pretty terrible last night.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Follows up an all time classic with possibly the worst episode of Curb ever. That was pretty terrible last night.

I was bored out of my mind....so bad. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Uhhhh yeah that was pretty rough last night.  A few funny parts but overall it was a giant step down from the season opener.