Final Fantasy

Any Final Fantasy fans?  Just started XV over the weekend and really like it so far.
Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I always meant to play all them through.  I just have no spare time for additional completionist hobbies.  I wish there were 100 hours in a day
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I've played I, III, IV, VII, VIII, IX, & X.  Only ever finished 3 & 7, got about halfway through 8 & 10 but never finished.  I've also finished 7 about a dozen times.  My screenname which I use everywhere but this forum comes from FF7. 
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    edited May 2019
    I started with VII, and a couple years ago I went back and played from the beginning of the series.  I've liked most of them (put so many hours into XII), but I got pretty bored with VIII and XIII (didn't even want to finish that one).  Thankfully XV has me back on track of loving this franchise.

Looking forward to the VII re-release, whenever that drops.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Never heard of it ...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Jason P said:
    Never heard of it ...
    Lmao

7 and 10 are my favorites by far.  
    I started Final Fantasy last night on my hacked Vita.  I have played it before, but don't remember finishing it.  I do remember there is quite a bit of level-up and g grinding.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I feel like I dedicated half my life to FF7, but I played many of them before and few of them after.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I played the original for hours as a kid. I would scour the woods around Elfland fighting Giants, Trolls and Green Ogres to build exp. Often times I would let everyone in my party die except one and then jump levels like no other. Before that it was on the sea fighting those annoying Kyzoku which often times showed up in groups of 6+. Beat that game a few times. Loved the end when you beat Chaos and he began fading away. I would often bring the game guide with to church on Sunday mornings and study the enemy identification chart.

Never got to play any of the other games for years because they changed game systems. I remember picking up the combo pack re-issues for 4 - 6 I believe, called the Anthology at the time. Can't recall if I ever beat them. Then I got IX for PS and played the hell out of that game. The Tetra Master side game was fun. Played that a lot. Also enjoyed the Chocobo side quest digging for treasure. I beat IX once and don't think I ever tried again.

Alas, I don't play video games at all anymore, but I played so much in to my 20's that I earned enough to probably cut years out of my life. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    I played the original for hours as a kid. I would scour the woods around Elfland fighting Giants, Trolls and Green Ogres to build exp. Often times I would let everyone in my party die except one and then jump levels like no other. Before that it was on the sea fighting those annoying Kyzoku which often times showed up in groups of 6+. Beat that game a few times. Loved the end when you beat Chaos and he began fading away. I would often bring the game guide with to church on Sunday mornings and study the enemy identification chart.

Never got to play any of the other games for years because they changed game systems. I remember picking up the combo pack re-issues for 4 - 6 I believe, called the Anthology at the time. Can't recall if I ever beat them. Then I got IX for PS and played the hell out of that game. The Tetra Master side game was fun. Played that a lot. Also enjoyed the Chocobo side quest digging for treasure. I beat IX once and don't think I ever tried again.

Alas, I don't play video games at all anymore, but I played so much in to my 20's that I earned enough to probably cut years out of my life. 
    That is an awesome recap.

Has anyone tried the secondary games, the non-numbered ones?  Not sure if any of them are fun.
    I played Tactics for a bit.  Didn't like it.  The story seemed pretty cool from what I remember, I just don't like the style of gameplay in grid-based strategy rpg's.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Is this the same game lineage that was on the 8 bit nintendo back in the day?
    Is this the same game lineage that was on the 8 bit nintendo back in the day?
    Yep. 1-3 were on the NES. Or rather 1 was on the NES/Famicom and 2-3 were on the Famicom.  4-6 were on the SNES/Super Famicom. 4 and 6 were released as 2 & 3 in the US on the SNES.  Everything since 7 has been developed for Playstation, many with eventual ports for other systems.
    “Studying the game guide at church “ :lol:

man thats back when games came with awesome booklets.  Bios, story background, they were like 16 pages.   Now we get nothing
    “Studying the game guide at church “ :lol:

man thats back when games came with awesome booklets.  Bios, story background, they were like 16 pages.   Now we get nothing
    I know! It was awesome. Every enemy's HP, weakness, damage, etc. I forgot how great it was until I looked it up the other day. All this talk made me dig up an online emulator for the original game. Man, I love the original. I still have my original NES from 1987 and this was one of the games I kept, but it's in storage somewhere. Back in high school I sold off most of my games (since I now had the SNES) to raise money for a trip to Germany. I had over 50 games at the time. Whittled it down to about 10. I may have to track down my old system...
    I have been playing the original.  Its been going well.  Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of grinding for experience points and gold.  I actually feel like I have gone too far with leveling up and equipping and I will steamroll the next chunk of game.  Trying to get all the achievements.  

The booklet for the game IS awesome and makes me want to port back in time to when I was 9
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABJE.pdf

Going to play a translated version of II next
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    When the first one came out for the NES me and my three best friends rented it for the weekend and played in shifts 24/7 to beat it. 
    Jason P said:
    When the first one came out for the NES me and my three best friends rented it for the weekend and played in shifts 24/7 to beat it. 
    You really never forget memories like that lol.  I remember very similar things with my buddies
    Jason P said:
    You really never forget memories like that lol.  I remember very similar things with my buddies
    Yep, every birthday party we took a trip to the local gas station and picked out games to rent; Blades of Steel, Tecmo Bowl, California Games, RBI Baseball, Double Dragon, etc. Then we would play all night long. Lots of smack talk. Of course there were breaks for outside football and baseball and pizza. 
    Some great games listed there, but man were NES games hard as fuck.  Don't even get me started on TMNT.
    Some great games listed there, but man were NES games hard as fuck.  Don't even get me started on TMNT.
    Indeed. I gave up on the NES version of that game, but spent at least $20 to beat the amazing arcade version. That and The Simpsons were the best multi player arcade games. You'd rotate out partners as they ran out of coins. I think the one game I never beat that I owned was Ninja Gaiden. That fucking game was insane. So many hours spent on the same damn level. Then there were simple as fuck games like Star Tropics. I think I got it on a Saturday Morning and had it beat by that night. Fun game, but the levels were way too easy. Always got stuck on Punch Out at King Hippo until I figured out the trick to beat him and then it was Sandman before figuring out Tyson or Mr Dream, depending on what version you played.
    NES is the system I have the most fond memories of.  TMNT was indeed among the games I never beat.  Maybe I'll give it a shot someday.  

The games were brutal though.  Especially compared to now where you can basically save scum and also have unlimited continues for most games. 

The hardest game I beat was Battletoads I think.  
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I had the NES as a child. I was completely infatuated by The Legend Of Zelda. To me that world seemed infinite. I never was able to complete it by the time I switched over to Sega Mega Drive. However, when emulators became a common enough thing I later went back and finished the whole thing with a walkthrough as a teenager. Sorry for taking the conversation away from Final Fantasy but great memories here.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Ghouls n Goblins, Castlevania, Skate or die, Dragon Warrior, loved those games!
    Oh man California Games!  I felt so cool on the halfpipe. 

I always enjoyed renting really random games like Friday 13th.  

TMNT is impossible.  Even if i played it 30 years later im not beating that fucking game. 

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Jason P said:
    "don't do anything important while I'm asleep!"

also, can you have three best friends?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    I had the NES as a child. I was completely infatuated by The Legend Of Zelda. To me that world seemed infinite. I never was able to complete it by the time I switched over to Sega Mega Drive. However, when emulators became a common enough thing I later went back and finished the whole thing with a walkthrough as a teenager. Sorry for taking the conversation away from Final Fantasy but great memories here.
    The Zelda series is probably my favorite series overall, and Link my favorite hero.  Before I went through and played all the Final Fantasies straight through, I did the Zelda series (first time I beat the second game), and the only reason I want a Switch is to play the newest Zelda. 

The halfpipe in Skate or Die 2 was great too.
    That game was great! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ljZh4DHik

All the early games were hard, NES or otherwise.  A lot of them were designed to just repeat levels forever!
    Rygar said:
    That game was great! 

All the early games were hard, NES or otherwise.  A lot of them were designed to just repeat levels forever!
    I have no interest in playing TMNT after watching that video.  Also, what a weird assemblage of enemies to fight and board design. 
    The Zelda series is probably my favorite series overall, and Link my favorite hero.  Before I went through and played all the Final Fantasies straight through, I did the Zelda series (first time I beat the second game), and the only reason I want a Switch is to play the newest Zelda. 

The halfpipe in Skate or Die 2 was great too.
    Do it!! Suffice it to say - and to stay true to the thread - it has probably replaced FF7 as my favorite game of all time.  But whatever you do, be warned it is not the typical Zelda formula of go to this area, find the dungeon, get the dungeon item, beat the dungeon boss, move on to the next area.  A lot of hardcore Zelda fans really have a problem with this. But honestly, other than the absence of traditional Zelda dungeons, it is probably more like the original NES Legend of Zelda than anything else in the entire series.
    Rygar said:
    That game was great! 

I have no interest in playing TMNT after watching that video.  Also, what a weird assemblage of enemies to fight and board design. 
    It is definitely a lot better as a memory ;)