A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I liked it. Wasn't great. But people would complain either way. Especially this season
    I miss igotid88
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2019
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    I was disappointed. Seeing Arya run off to be a captain of a boat felt random. Sending Jon off to rejoin the watch I didn't like. Why is there even a watch, he's the only one left since Sam was apparently allowed to skip out on his vows. But then he just joined the Wildlings anyway? I felt like someone should have made the comment there was no more watch so the joke was on Greyworm or something.

But it was the unecessary side plots that bugged me. The biggest issue I had was who Jon really was didn't mean anything at all. For being such an important plot point and discovery what was the whole point? To make Dany sweat for 2 episodes? That whole idea became totally pointless as it didn't play out at all.
    The Greyjoy fleet? What was the point of saving the sister , she did nothign afterwards except say 1 line that she was loyal to the queen and Jon should die. Did she not notice the city was in complete shambles? It was this huge side story that never came to a point and never had any purpose. She wasn't in any of the battles this season and Euron hardly put up a fight.
    Greyworm was annoying. I've put up with his lame facial expressions for 5 seasons just to see him kill innocent people in the end and everyone seems okay with it? Same with the Dothraki, they went around raping everyone. Drogo died because Dany wasn't okay with them raping the villages, but now that she's the queen its all good?
    I was actually more ok with this ending and thought it played out better than expected based on the previous episodes. I think Arya going off to explore made more sense than her continuing on as a killer or turning in to a lady. She is an adventurer and a loner so it made sense to me. I think Tyrion knew the watch was kind of a joke, but it appeased Greyworm. Ultimately, it meant he would join the people of the north and Tormund. He seemed to be the new Mance Rayder, the king beyond the wall.

My biggest issue is with Greyworm and the Dothraki being given clemency for their war crimes. Sure, they were acting on behalf of their now dead queen, but it was odd to see Greyworm given any respect or dignity and Jon as a prisoner. Apparently only some characters need to be held accountable for their "crimes".

It took me a minute to figure out what was happening after the fade to black in the throne room and Tyrion being led to the dragon pit, but then I realized, oh, they're skipping those details again. I guess that would be my other complaint, this season consistently left the most interesting plot points to occur off screen (Jon revealing who he is to his family, Arya's magical stealth attack of the Night King, Jon being confronted or revealing he murdered Dany). I would have thought more people would be in support of what Jon did than opposed, but it was also unclear if people were supposed to know he was really Aegon Targaeryn since they kept referring to him as Jon. A few weeks ago it seemed like everyone was going to know soon and then Varys was sending out notes. Did those not get sent and did no one else talk? 

I guess I agree with Arya, it just seemed out of left field when she announced it. 
    I think the issue I have with Jon's story is what you said at the end, they leave the most interesting parts in the dark for you to assume. A 2-minute scene where Tyrion explains that to Jon or Sansa would have filled a lot of that. Did he take the black and forsake his vows knowin gno one would look for him, is there really no Black anymore? Is he part of the black but is free to roam north of the wall now? Will he keep his vows then? How did Sam get out of the Black?
    Still the single biggest issue I have is who Jon really was played into the story. For such a big build up and reveal, then it means absolutely nothing in the end. He may as well have been the son of a whore, would not have changed a single thing (except maybe Drogon would have killed him?). But even then, that was after the last battle and not made any difference to the story as a whole.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    I was disappointed. Seeing Arya run off to be a captain of a boat felt random. Sending Jon off to rejoin the watch I didn't like. Why is there even a watch, he's the only one left since Sam was apparently allowed to skip out on his vows. But then he just joined the Wildlings anyway? I felt like someone should have made the comment there was no more watch so the joke was on Greyworm or something.

But it was the unecessary side plots that bugged me. The biggest issue I had was who Jon really was didn't mean anything at all. For being such an important plot point and discovery what was the whole point? To make Dany sweat for 2 episodes? That whole idea became totally pointless as it didn't play out at all.
    The Greyjoy fleet? What was the point of saving the sister , she did nothign afterwards except say 1 line that she was loyal to the queen and Jon should die. Did she not notice the city was in complete shambles? It was this huge side story that never came to a point and never had any purpose. She wasn't in any of the battles this season and Euron hardly put up a fight.
    Greyworm was annoying. I've put up with his lame facial expressions for 5 seasons just to see him kill innocent people in the end and everyone seems okay with it? Same with the Dothraki, they went around raping everyone. Drogo died because Dany wasn't okay with them raping the villages, but now that she's the queen its all good?
    I was actually more ok with this ending and thought it played out better than expected based on the previous episodes. I think Arya going off to explore made more sense than her continuing on as a killer or turning in to a lady. She is an adventurer and a loner so it made sense to me. I think Tyrion knew the watch was kind of a joke, but it appeased Greyworm. Ultimately, it meant he would join the people of the north and Tormund. He seemed to be the new Mance Rayder, the king beyond the wall.

My biggest issue is with Greyworm and the Dothraki being given clemency for their war crimes. Sure, they were acting on behalf of their now dead queen, but it was odd to see Greyworm given any respect or dignity and Jon as a prisoner. Apparently only some characters need to be held accountable for their "crimes".

It took me a minute to figure out what was happening after the fade to black in the throne room and Tyrion being led to the dragon pit, but then I realized, oh, they're skipping those details again. I guess that would be my other complaint, this season consistently left the most interesting plot points to occur off screen (Jon revealing who he is to his family, Arya's magical stealth attack of the Night King, Jon being confronted or revealing he murdered Dany). I would have thought more people would be in support of what Jon did than opposed, but it was also unclear if people were supposed to know he was really Aegon Targaeryn since they kept referring to him as Jon. A few weeks ago it seemed like everyone was going to know soon and then Varys was sending out notes. Did those not get sent and did no one else talk? 

I guess I agree with Arya, it just seemed out of left field when she announced it. 
    I think the issue I have with Jon's story is what you said at the end, they leave the most interesting parts in the dark for you to assume. A 2-minute scene where Tyrion explains that to Jon or Sansa would have filled a lot of that. Did he take the black and forsake his vows knowin gno one would look for him, is there really no Black anymore? Is he part of the black but is free to roam north of the wall now? Will he keep his vows then? How did Sam get out of the Black?
    Still the single biggest issue I have is who Jon really was played into the story. For such a big build up and reveal, then it means absolutely nothing in the end. He may as well have been the son of a whore, would not have changed a single thing (except maybe Drogon would have killed him?). But even then, that was after the last battle and not made any difference to the story as a whole.
    I think that also applies to Arya & Bran’s characters (the buildup of their stories, that is). There were tremendously underutilized these last two years IMO... at least as compared to how big a part of the show their stories were over the 1st 6 seasons. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

I think that also applies to Arya & Bran’s characters (the buildup of their stories, that is). There were tremendously underutilized these last two years IMO... at least as compared to how big a part of the show their stories were over the 1st 6 seasons. 

A lot of people have issue with Bran being king, I think as a byproduct of him being a very poorly developed and run character since they exceeded the books (the point where he was still learning under the Weirwood).  That isn't an easy character to portray on screen since the Three-Eyed-Raven University, especially with no source material. 
    From Martin's mouth, they likely knew he would eventually be named king/regent, but there was little way to develop the character and how it is being all-seeing, how it is useful, or what is going on in his head...  Especially without P.O.V. chapters. 

Bran, since being chased out of the root system of that Weirwood acts like any pubescent kid who plays Fortnight 20 hours a day and loathes being around adults.  Nobody liked him, and this decision feels out of left field, where in the printed version (if we get it), it will probably make much more sense.... as will Dany's turn into madness.

Im not sure how much more you could build up Arya's character TBH.  

I think Sansa is another one where there is a disconnect between "I like Songs" and being a stern ruler.
    MayDay10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

A lot of people have issue with Bran being king, I think as a byproduct of him being a very poorly developed and run character since they exceeded the books (the point where he was still learning under the Weirwood).  That isn't an easy character to portray on screen since the Three-Eyed-Raven University, especially with no source material. 
    From Martin's mouth, they likely knew he would eventually be named king/regent, but there was little way to develop the character and how it is being all-seeing, how it is useful, or what is going on in his head...  Especially without P.O.V. chapters. 

Bran, since being chased out of the root system of that Weirwood acts like any pubescent kid who plays Fortnight 20 hours a day and loathes being around adults.  Nobody liked him, and this decision feels out of left field, where in the printed version (if we get it), it will probably make much more sense.... as will Dany's turn into madness.

I think Sansa is another one where there is a disconnect between "I like Songs" and being a stern ruler.
    I have no problem w/ the buildup of Arya’s character, it’s just how she was written into the last two seasons that I don’t like. 

I expected her to have a much much bigger role last night based on how episode 5 ended, but whatever. I’m fine with her killing the Night King, but the White Walker storyline seemed to be put to bed too quickly and yes... easily. 

I get what you’re saying, and appreciate the insight from someone who read the books, but I think the end of this show feels clunky and may have ended better if they did two full seasons for 7/8 as opposed to cramming it all into 7 & 6 episodes. 
    MayDay10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

I have no problem w/ the buildup of Arya’s character, it’s just how she was written into the last two seasons that I don’t like. 

I expected her to have a much much bigger role last night based on how episode 5 ended, but whatever. I’m fine with her killing the Night King, but the White Walker storyline seemed to be put to bed too quickly and yes... easily. 

I get what you’re saying, and appreciate the insight from someone who read the books, but I think the end of this show feels clunky and may have ended better if they did two full seasons for 7/8 as opposed to cramming it all into 7 & 6 episodes. 
    Should have added: they could have used some more character development over these last two seasons, as opposed to rushing it, which they did. 
    I just don't think they were equipped and didn't have the motivation to do character development and rushed headlong into the plot points and wanted to make those as visually appealing as possible.

Like mentioned, Dany fast-tracked it to the mad queen.  Sansa fast-tracked from being an innocent and naive girl to being a stern ruler.  Bran being kind of just thrown into a corner until needed at the end, etc.   

It all wasn't great.  Seasons 7 and 8 definitely were a come-down from 1-6 and IMO a direct result of becoming too free of GRRM's material.  The writing was not great.  Directing and acting was very good.   Used cheesy "marvel movie" humor as a crutch too often.  Things were rushed, other things sloppy (like Cersei's apparent 14 month pregnancy)....   In a vacuum though, it was still better than anything that has ever been on television, save, maybe Breaking Bad.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I would think that restoring the Nights Watch to full power would need to be a top priority only behind rebuilding Kings Landing.  There is no reason to think the white walker threat is over.  They had assumed there was no white walker threat when the series started.  Now they have a giant hole in the wall and no way to seal it with magic unless Jon discovers it beyond the wall.  

Doomed to repeat, they are. 
    MayDay10 said:
    I just don't think they were equipped and didn't have the motivation to do character development and rushed headlong into the plot points and wanted to make those as visually appealing as possible.

Like mentioned, Dany fast-tracked it to the mad queen.  Sansa fast-tracked from being an innocent and naive girl to being a stern ruler.  Bran being kind of just thrown into a corner until needed at the end, etc.   

It all wasn't great.  Seasons 7 and 8 definitely were a come-down from 1-6 and IMO a direct result of becoming too free of GRRM's material.  The writing was not great.  Directing and acting was very good.   Used cheesy "marvel movie" humor as a crutch too often.  Things were rushed, other things sloppy (like Cersei's apparent 14 month pregnancy)....   In a vacuum though, it was still better than anything that has ever been on television, save, maybe Breaking Bad.

Agreed. 

Despite my criticisms, I’ll still miss it, it’s been a fun ride. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mfc2006 said:
    I thought it was ok, but lots of loose ends. To have that much time to write and film this season and to have so many questions seems a bit weak. I’ll definitely miss the show even if it started going south in the last couple of seasons. 
    Yeah.  Don't get why Benioff and Weiss were so insistent on only doing 6 episodes for this final season.  So many parts felt rushed.  Sounds like HBO was willing to let them do as many episodes as they wanted but for some reason they only wanted 6.  
    Aren't those two writing the next Star Wars trilogy?  That's probably why it was so short.
    Theres a new star wars trilogy? So 12 films now?
    Or do you mean episode 9?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MayDay10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

Should have added: they could have used some more character development over these last two seasons, as opposed to rushing it, which they did. 
    Agreed on Arya. Her story line built for seasons and then all of a sudden disappeared last season and didn't really go anywhere. I know we were supposed to believe that one exchange between her and the Hound finally made her see the light, but the character development change from assassin to retired killer didn't happen.

Another petty side note, last week, we saw Arya ride off on that white horse, but then the first shot of her this week is walking through the burned out ashes of the city again. That immediately annoyed me. So was the whole white horse amidst the gray of ash and ruin supposed to be another sign that Arya should hang-up needle and sail the seas?

Anyway, I think what we got was all the writers were willing to make time for. Maybe they were finding it hard to write the complex story or the actors were itching to get out of the show (I haven't heard that), but either way, they could have probably done a lot better job and given this show 2 full final seasons with just a few extended 80+ minute shows instead of these past 2 seasons on urgency over 3 years.

A few of my friends a few years ago had talked about how this show could possible overtake The Wire for them as best show, but these last 2 seasons really made it clear that wasn't going to happen. GoT wins hands down when it comes to entertainment and visuals, but in the end, it was the story that held it back, which is ironic considering Tyrion's message about why Bran should be King.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mace1229 said:
    No they mentioned doing a new trilogy.
    https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2019/02/11/star-wars-trilogy-benioff-weiss/
    mace1229 said:
    If that's true, I'd expect a lot of great CGI action and Jar-Jar Binks level character development.
    tbergs said:
    Agreed on Arya. Her story line built for seasons and then all of a sudden disappeared last season and didn't really go anywhere. I know we were supposed to believe that one exchange between her and the Hound finally made her see the light, but the character development change from assassin to retired killer didn't happen.

Another petty side note, last week, we saw Arya ride off on that white horse, but then the first shot of her this week is walking through the burned out ashes of the city again. That immediately annoyed me. So was the whole white horse amidst the gray of ash and ruin supposed to be another sign that Arya should hang-up needle and sail the seas?

Anyway, I think what we got was all the writers were willing to make time for. Maybe they were finding it hard to write the complex story or the actors were itching to get out of the show (I haven't heard that), but either way, they could have probably done a lot better job and given this show 2 full final seasons with just a few extended 80+ minute shows instead of these past 2 seasons on urgency over 3 years.

A few of my friends a few years ago had talked about how this show could possible overtake The Wire for them as best show, but these last 2 seasons really made it clear that wasn't going to happen. GoT wins hands down when it comes to entertainment and visuals, but in the end, it was the story that held it back, which is ironic considering Tyrion's message about why Bran should be King.

The whole story, Arya wanted to be a fighter and get revenge (and to protect her family).  

She "graduated" from the House of Black and White, used her newfound superpowers to neatly murder the entire (and quite large) Frey house, including feeding Walder Frey his own sons before killing him.  That displayed the 'face trick' and that was enough of that for me.  

She was the one who executed Little Finger

They also put her skills on display as she sparred with and bested one of the most skilled Knights in the story (Brienne).

She also delivered the most important stroke in the history of mankind in killing the Night King.

That isn't really disappearing... in fact, IMO, Arya killing Dany would have been too much for 1 character and everyone would have been like WTF is Jon for?

Jason P said:
    I would think that restoring the Nights Watch to full power would need to be a top priority only behind rebuilding Kings Landing.  There is no reason to think the white walker threat is over.  They had assumed there was no white walker threat when the series started.  Now they have a giant hole in the wall and no way to seal it with magic unless Jon discovers it beyond the wall.  

Definitely. I mean, look at the council for the King. It's like the band of misfits united. Seeing Bronn all of a sudden back, a lord and on the council was another idiotic plot point as well. Not only have they let the murdering Unsullied and Dothraki sail off in to the sunset and settle in new homes, but they have rewarded another person who has never really earned it and done whatever is necessary for the highest bidder, as recently as a few episodes ago.

Ack, the more I discuss this show, the more I get frustrated with how they ended it. I guess it is better to mindlessly watch and just take whatever they throw at you no matter how absurd.
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:

Definitely. I mean, look at the council for the King. It's like the band of misfits united. Seeing Bronn all of a sudden back, a lord and on the council was another idiotic plot point as well. Not only have they let the murdering Unsullied and Dothraki sail off in to the sunset and settle in new homes, but they have rewarded another person who has never really earned it and done whatever is necessary for the highest bidder, as recently as a few episodes ago.

Ack, the more I discuss this show, the more I get frustrated with how they ended it. I guess it is better to mindlessly watch and just take whatever they throw at you no matter how absurd.
    Bron as the Master of Coin was f’ing absurd.
    MayDay10 said:
    tbergs said:

The whole story, Arya wanted to be a fighter and get revenge (and to protect her family).  

She "graduated" from the House of Black and White, used her newfound superpowers to neatly murder the entire (and quite large) Frey house, including feeding Walder Frey his own sons before killing him.  That displayed the 'face trick' and that was enough of that for me.  

They also put her skills on display as she sparred with and bested one of the most skilled Knights in the story (Brienne).

She also delivered the most important stroke in the history of mankind in killing the Night King.

That isn't really disappearing... in fact, IMO, Arya killing Dany would have been too much for 1 character and everyone would have been like WTF is Jon for?

Yeah, I see some of it, but after the first few episodes of season 7, she used very little of her skill and we were given just a brief glimpse (at least on screen) of that in the battle against the dead and the night king. I could go either way on her and as I originally mentioned, I think her story end makes sense, but again, the writers lacked on doing enough to show her getting there. Still love her character the best. 
    edited May 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    tbergs said:

I thought Littlefinger’s fate was bullshit too... the whole story of Sansa & Arya setting him up in season 7 was a joke & a pretty weak way for one of the most influential characters on this show to go out. 

Edit: it was gratifying to see Arya be the one to kill him, but I thought his character deserved a better ending than it got. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    tbergs said:
    Jason P said:

I forgot how much seeing Bron annoyed me. I mean, he was going to kill Tyrian if he wasn;t going to pay him more than Cersi or think he would win. I liked the character for the most part, but he was a terrible person and doesn't deserve to sit on the council. 

The finale didn't ruin it for me, but it hasn't taken away the appeal of rewatching it for now. I started rewatching it a few weeks ago, got through season 2, and right now I don't have a desire to keep going. I don't know if its because I know how it ends overall, or just disapointment in the ending.
    mace1229 said:
    well, after season 7 and 8 I'm not that excited. But apparently theres been no information on what its about. Might be interesting what they come up with for a whole new trilogy. 
    Been reading through several reviews of the finale. Some skewer it, some rave about it and some land in the middle, where I think I mostly am. I found this assessment to be one of the more interesting ones:

But the thing that truly stood out to me — and indeed, stands out across the entire sweep of the series — is the power of a single father, Ned Stark. It was his fate in the first season (and first book) that signaled that there was something different about Game of Thrones. If you’d read fantasy fiction at all, you would have thought that Thrones was Ned Stark’s story. He was the righteous man who would triumph. Instead, he was the righteous man who lost his head. Then we spent the next seven seasons trying to discover the true hero. We thought it was Robb Stark. He was betrayed. We thought it was Dany. She turned. We thought it was Jon Snow, and he was certainly a hero, but was he the hero?

No, it was still Ned Stark. The closing images of the show focus on three of his children, and each was indelibly and unalterably shaped by the example of the man who raised them. Arya ended the show free of the burdens of Westeros, sailing into the unknown. But it was her father who set her free in the first season — liberating her from the burdens of becoming a classic lady of Westeros and setting her on the path that would kill the Night King. Sansa was the Stark who learned from her father’s mistakes. She retained his fundamental decency and learned his lessons, but she tempered his straightforward sense of honor (his ultimately foolish nobility) with a shrewdness and survival instinct gained through time spent with Littlefinger and through the awful teacher of dreadful experience.

And Jon Snow? He maintained the fundamental essence of his adoptive father. He was the living manifestation of the man who put death before dishonor. Duty was all. He died to save the Wildlings. He relinquished his throne to save the North. And he sacrificed his birthright to save the world from a mad queen.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/game-of-thrones-a-fathers-legacy-endures/

MayDay10 said:
    tbergs said:

I thought Littlefinger’s fate was bullshit too... the whole story of Sansa & Arya setting him up in season 7 was a joke & a pretty weak way for one of the most influential characters on this show to go out. 

Edit: it was gratifying to see Arya be the one to kill him, but I thought his character deserved a better ending than it got. 
    As far as the books go at this point.  

The White Walkers are an overarching threat to humanity and there is a whole sense of doom the 'woke' people feel that all the squabbling over the throne/lands/etc is counter-productive as they need to take shit seriously.  You get some of that in the show, but I feel/agree that it was very quick that the Army of the Dead/White Walkers/Others/Night King were vanquished at the first resistance south of the wall (Last Hearth not withstanding). 

The other big danger is Littlefinger and him expertly maneuvering everything and basically masterminding all the trouble from the very beginning.  Littlefinger was botched in the show post-Eyrie.  He just kind of floated around and hid in the shadows and had a weird meeting with Cersei that didnt make sense, marrying Sansa to Ramsey which didnt make sense, and lurking around Winterfell until he was eventually killed.  

So yeah.  I agree.
    edited May 2019
    tbergs said:
    Been reading through several reviews of the finale. Some skewer it, some rave about it and some land in the middle, where I think I mostly am. I found this assessment to be one of the more interesting ones:

But the thing that truly stood out to me — and indeed, stands out across the entire sweep of the series — is the power of a single father, Ned Stark. It was his fate in the first season (and first book) that signaled that there was something different about Game of Thrones. If you’d read fantasy fiction at all, you would have thought that Thrones was Ned Stark’s story. He was the righteous man who would triumph. Instead, he was the righteous man who lost his head. Then we spent the next seven seasons trying to discover the true hero. We thought it was Robb Stark. He was betrayed. We thought it was Dany. She turned. We thought it was Jon Snow, and he was certainly a hero, but was he the hero?

No, it was still Ned Stark. The closing images of the show focus on three of his children, and each was indelibly and unalterably shaped by the example of the man who raised them. Arya ended the show free of the burdens of Westeros, sailing into the unknown. But it was her father who set her free in the first season — liberating her from the burdens of becoming a classic lady of Westeros and setting her on the path that would kill the Night King. Sansa was the Stark who learned from her father’s mistakes. She retained his fundamental decency and learned his lessons, but she tempered his straightforward sense of honor (his ultimately foolish nobility) with a shrewdness and survival instinct gained through time spent with Littlefinger and through the awful teacher of dreadful experience.

And Jon Snow? He maintained the fundamental essence of his adoptive father. He was the living manifestation of the man who put death before dishonor. Duty was all. He died to save the Wildlings. He relinquished his throne to save the North. And he sacrificed his birthright to save the world from a mad queen.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/game-of-thrones-a-fathers-legacy-endures/

This was a great review.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I thought the finale was ok.  A few scenes I found to be annoying or rushed.
    It's SPRING!  How fn long was Tyrion and Jon locked up?  Jon's beard grew a little, but for King's Landing to go from winter to teeshirt weather overnight seemed a bit odd.  The next time someone says "Winter is coming", the response should be laughter.  Yeah, watch out!
    The scene where they great houses were together to make the decision to anoint Bran king.  I don't have a problem with the decision, I have a problem with the scene.  Greyworm went from "ok, we're going to kill this traitor" and "You don't speak" to seconds later Tyrion giving a long, detailed reason why Bran should be king.  Ok.  The whole scene felt clumsy...or something a comedy show would parody.  
    I know people have issues with Jon being re-assigned to the Night's Watch, but it was a wink-wink decision.  Greyworm has no idea what the Night's Watch is about or the fact that they are no longer needed.  It's more or less a get out of jail free card.  I was kind of hoping Sansa saying "thousands of northmen are outside of the walls" would lead to something.  Instead, they were just cool with Jon going away.  Nobody was like "why does the north get to be an independent kingdom and we have to stay?"
    Where the fuck did Bron come from?  Why was he at the small counsel's table?  I get that he's the head of Highgarten, but it doesn't explain why he's there.  That wasn't part of the negotiation.  Master of coin?  That seems as appropriate as making Betsy Devos the secretary of education.  Was hoping to hear Tyrion say "Why are you here?"  And the pan out scene at the small counsel table felt kinda dumb.  
    Finally, I know Jon is noble, but why the fuck wouldn't he just say "Damn, that dragon went nuts, killed Dany, and flew her lifeless corpse away"?  
    Either way, I'm sad it's over.  Not much left, TV wise, to get excited about.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the potential of their being 4-5 spinoffs.
    edited May 2019
    mca47 said:
    I thought the finale was ok.  A few scenes I found to be annoying or rushed.
    It's SPRING!  How fn long was Tyrion and Jon locked up?  Jon's beard grew a little, but for King's Landing to go from winter to teeshirt weather overnight seemed a bit odd.  The next time someone says "Winter is coming", the response should be laughter.  Yeah, watch out!
    The scene where they great houses were together to make the decision to anoint Bran king.  I don't have a problem with the decision, I have a problem with the scene.  Greyworm went from "ok, we're going to kill this traitor" and "You don't speak" to seconds later Tyrion giving a long, detailed reason why Bran should be king.  Ok.  The whole scene felt clumsy...or something a comedy show would parody.  
    I know people have issues with Jon being re-assigned to the Night's Watch, but it was a wink-wink decision.  Greyworm has no idea what the Night's Watch is about or the fact that they are no longer needed.  It's more or less a get out of jail free card.  I was kind of hoping Sansa saying "thousands of northmen are outside of the walls" would lead to something.  Instead, they were just cool with Jon going away.  Nobody was like "why does the north get to be an independent kingdom and we have to stay?"
    Where the fuck did Bron come from?  Why was he at the small counsel's table?  I get that he's the head of Highgarten, but it doesn't explain why he's there.  That wasn't part of the negotiation.  Master of coin?  That seems as appropriate as making Betsy Devos the secretary of education.  Was hoping to hear Tyrion say "Why are you here?"  And the pan out scene at the small counsel table felt kinda dumb.  
    Finally, I know Jon is noble, but why the fuck wouldn't he just say "Damn, that dragon went nuts, killed Dany, and flew her lifeless corpse away"?  
    Either way, I'm sad it's over.  Not much left, TV wise, to get excited about.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the potential of their being 4-5 spinoffs.
    I agree with most of that, a lot of that annoyed me too.
    I guess the only part I didnt have an issue with was the winter ending. I think winter is associated with the Night King right, so when he died it made sense to have a short winter.

I too almost laughed when GreyWorm threatens Tyrion not to speak, then lets him go on for 10 minutes. I can't stand whoever that guy is that plays Greyworm either.....his facial expressions! No one ever thought once to say "Okay, lets try this scene again. This time look less constipated." 
    Bron being on the counsel makes zero sense. He isn't trustworthy, he's proven himself a true sellsword to the highest bidder without honor. And why does he even have highgarden? The only people who knew of that deal was Tyrion and Jamie. Jamie is dead and Tyrion was in jail and with no way or right to give it to Bron even if he wanted to. 
    This last season wasn't terrible, but it felt like an average movie or show where you have to ignore a lot of basic plotholes and just accept it.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I didn’t see anything wrong with Arya’s ending. Her list - which was the whole reason for her training - was finished, so in a sense she was finally free. When she ran into the theatre company a few seasons ago, she even said “what’s west of Westeros? I’d like to see it some day” to the actress, so it wasn’t really unexpected.

The small council is obviously Tyrion saying “if I have to be Hand, I get to pick my team”. You know he would’ve had Varys there too if he’d lived.

I think everyone knew that taking the Black would effectively free Jon, except Grey Worm. The important thing was that he was seen to agree to father no children, and therefore end the Targaryen name. 

Where did the Dothraki go? We didn’t see them on the boats with the Unsullied. When Grey Worm was told that all the men had boarded, there were still some Dothraki walking through the docks.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Jon was honorable, so he fessed up, true to his character.  He was ready to accept whatever punishment drogon deemed appropriate as well
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have never watched one episode of this show.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Greyworm's facial expressions are those of someone who takes Monopoly to serious and is bad at playing it.

Bronn should have gotten Littlefinger's brothels and a chest of gold at best.  He was on the losing team, so yeah, not much sense in his promotion to the job he is least suited for.  Like putting Fat Bastard in charge of Dr. Evils candy collection.

Poddrick's promotion to pushing an alien host around in a wheel chair is the short end of the stick, but he made it alive to the end so he has that going for him.

Samwell getting laughed at for suggesting democracy in the realm and then the same group agreeing to let a woman take a kingdom out of the realm doesn't make sense for the setting the world resides in.

Huge win for fans of breasting feeding adolescent children and adults.  Robin Arryn is McDreamy and Tormund is chief wilding. 

This is a show that is impossible to please fans with it's final ending because no one really wants it to end.  That's the nuts and bolts of it.  The fact that it ended in a way that I didn't see coming is to me a tip of the cap.