A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    CROJAM95 said:
    At least she knows not to name her kid after Dany now 
    Haha for sure

ill be watching at home after picking up some pizza 

I sent the text “ are you guys Fuckin with me?”and they said no
    Ha!  They just wanted to watch it alone
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Not a fan of the last episode. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Not really sure how else it could have ended.  At least Bron came out on top. Also, pretty much confirmed that the Ayra spinoff was green lighted.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    It was a masterpiece right through the killing of dany.

Then kind of fell apart i think. The nights watch deal made no sense. Also making bran king doesnt make much sense either, really. Just strip jon of titles to keep westeros free of targaryens with claim, and him indicate he wants to live north of the wall.... and split up into 7 kingdoms to come full circle. Now we have a succession crisis to keep me up at night

Lots of wasted time. 

Glad ghost got his ear rub

Fuck grey worm. I hope they hit a storm

Robyn arryn is the dreamiest dream boat in the realm. 

Overall, id say a decent enough finale. Hopefully we get the last 2 books

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I never thought of Jon becoming King Beyond the Wall as a possibility ... Out of all the plots they had to wrap up going into the final show, I think they did a good job of coming to (semi) concrete endings.  

Samwell could have forced the Aegon card at the counsel but was more then happy to get his new job working for Bran.  Sellout.

For a second I thought Jon was seriously going into full doink-my-aunt mode and rule with Dany until I heard the knife sound ...

I'm not sure why anyone at the counsel didn't bring up the possibility that Bran may have been replaced by a sentient alien parasite intent on ruling all of mankind ...

Not sure who the actor that plays Edmure Tully pissed off after he did a great job in Rome that they had to pull him out of the closet to make him look like a dummy one last time in the show that will be viewed the most ever ...

In closing ... Fuck Bran.  And fuck the King.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Hahaha 
    I liked the episode but there are many questions and things to laugh at, Edmure Tully being chief among them.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I liked it also. Could have cut it off 15 minutes early; after the kings council meeting or right when Jon made it to the wall.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I liked it, feel it was as good as they could have done.  

I'm more interested to see if GRRM sticks with this ending, or changes things now that it has aired. That is assuming he ever finishes the last two books. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Loved it.

Saw that people were betting on Bran to become king and I was like , Hell no!  I was wrong about that shit...

Dany going mad was a sad thing but glad she went.

So, Bran is going to look for the dragon.  Are there going to be more dragons?  I like the dragons.

Jon Stark was supposed to be part of the Knights watch but went further North with the Wildlings?  So he broke the orders?

Heard a theory that the whole North was a "climate change" thing and the thawing represented that and the fall of Kings landing represented a nuclear fallout.

Thoughts?

Again, loved this episode.  Couple of curve balls.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    What a ride. I liked the ending and didn't think Jon would be the one that killed her. Now what am I supposed to do?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Just watched it for the second time. I wasn’t convinced at first, but I’m happier with it second time around.
    I question how good a king Bran could be though - the guy hardly speaks, how is he going to lead? But everyone else is right where they should be now
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I’m hopeful the books get completed but I’m also hopeful that some amazing RPG gets made.  Get the team that worked on The Witcher or Divinity Sin on that shit. 
    If I was Bran, I would have had the Greyjoy fleet ready to sink Greyworm and the unsullied as soon as they got out to sea.  Pardoned Jon. And that would have pretty much ended any threats.  Instead everyone basically dicked Jon over when he did all the heavy listening. And least he gets his dog and can drink beers with Tormund. 
    Jason P said:
    If I was Bran, I would have had the Greyjoy fleet ready to sink Greyworm and the unsullied as soon as they got out to sea.  Pardoned Jon. And that would have pretty much ended any threats.  Instead everyone basically dicked Jon over when he did all the heavy listening. And least he gets his dog and can drink beers with Tormund. 
    That was probably the ideal/happiest conclusion for Jon.  He never wanted to lead and seemed to be a wildling convert.  I think part of the "wall" thing was a mutual understanding the targaryen line would end with Jon.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Loved it.

Saw that people were betting on Bran to become king and I was like , Hell no!  I was wrong about that shit...

Dany going mad was a sad thing but glad she went.

So, Bran is going to look for the dragon.  Are there going to be more dragons?  I like the dragons.

Jon Stark was supposed to be part of the Knights watch but went further North with the Wildlings?  So he broke the orders?

Heard a theory that the whole North was a "climate change" thing and the thawing represented that and the fall of Kings landing represented a nuclear fallout.

Thoughts?

Again, loved this episode.  Couple of curve balls.

People betting on Bran seen the spoilers.

I think Jon’s exile order was given with a wink. There’s basically no need to man the wall so it’s basically a nice vacation and assurance that the Targ line ended.
    Well, there is a minor hole that needs patched up in the wall that may take a few weeks to repair.   
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

I'm happy enough with it.

There are plenty of unanswered questions, and I feel like not using Arya's face stealing skills or Bran's warging in the last couple of seasons was disappointing.

I thought characters of Cersei & Jamie's calibers deserved a better ending (from a story telling point of view) but I loved Tyrion finding them... that was a nice touch.

I didn't think Jon would have been the one to kill Dany, nor did I think Bran would end up on the throne, but here we are.

I was surprised Arya had such a limited role in this episode considering the way episode 5 left off, but whatever.

Jaime's ending was perfect.  He regained his honor when Brienne wrote his deeds in the King's Guard registry.  His entire character arc post-Riverrun captivity was realizing he wanted to regain his honor past being the "Kingslayer".  He accomplished that, even in the last act of "dying protecting his queen".  Even if his intent there wasnt entirely wholesome.... it is recorded as such for all time and he died an honorable knight.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I was disappointed. Seeing Arya run off to be a captain of a boat felt random. Sending Jon off to rejoin the watch I didn't like. Why is there even a watch, he's the only one left since Sam was apparently allowed to skip out on his vows. But then he just joined the Wildlings anyway? I felt like someone should have made the comment there was no more watch so the joke was on Greyworm or something.

But it was the unecessary side plots that bugged me. The biggest issue I had was who Jon really was didn't mean anything at all. For being such an important plot point and discovery what was the whole point? To make Dany sweat for 2 episodes? That whole idea became totally pointless as it didn't play out at all.
    The Greyjoy fleet? What was the point of saving the sister , she did nothign afterwards except say 1 line that she was loyal to the queen and Jon should die. Did she not notice the city was in complete shambles? It was this huge side story that never came to a point and never had any purpose. She wasn't in any of the battles this season and Euron hardly put up a fight.
    Greyworm was annoying. I've put up with his lame facial expressions for 5 seasons just to see him kill innocent people in the end and everyone seems okay with it? Same with the Dothraki, they went around raping everyone. Drogo died because Dany wasn't okay with them raping the villages, but now that she's the queen its all good?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Bran is the worst.  It should have been Sansa.  And apparently Arya is going to turn into Columbus.  But at least Jon pet his dog.  
    Jon's not staying with the Nights Watch. When he looked back when the gate closed, he knew he was never going back. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    I was losing interest as the episode played out....at the end I really could care less.

it didn't flow well at all
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    It was odd.  Anticlimactic.  

How did anyone find out that Jon stabbed Dany?  Did the dragon tell someone?  

Why did Dany glare at Jon like he was a leper  after her speech and then she was ready to jump in the sack with him in the throne room?

I didn't really expect the story to end up with Jon on the throne as that would have been too predictable.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    CROJAM95 said:
    I was losing interest as the episode played out....at the end I really could care less.

it didn't flow well at all

This is how I felt about the last two seasons, TBH.

Overall I'm ok with how it ended because I'm not nearly as invested as I was after the first 5 or 6 seasons.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Lame!!!!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mace1229 said:
    I was disappointed. Seeing Arya run off to be a captain of a boat felt random. Sending Jon off to rejoin the watch I didn't like. Why is there even a watch, he's the only one left since Sam was apparently allowed to skip out on his vows. But then he just joined the Wildlings anyway? I felt like someone should have made the comment there was no more watch so the joke was on Greyworm or something.

But it was the unecessary side plots that bugged me. The biggest issue I had was who Jon really was didn't mean anything at all. For being such an important plot point and discovery what was the whole point? To make Dany sweat for 2 episodes? That whole idea became totally pointless as it didn't play out at all.
    The Greyjoy fleet? What was the point of saving the sister , she did nothign afterwards except say 1 line that she was loyal to the queen and Jon should die. Did she not notice the city was in complete shambles? It was this huge side story that never came to a point and never had any purpose. She wasn't in any of the battles this season and Euron hardly put up a fight.
    Greyworm was annoying. I've put up with his lame facial expressions for 5 seasons just to see him kill innocent people in the end and everyone seems okay with it? Same with the Dothraki, they went around raping everyone. Drogo died because Dany wasn't okay with them raping the villages, but now that she's the queen its all good?
    I was actually more ok with this ending and thought it played out better than expected based on the previous episodes. I think Arya going off to explore made more sense than her continuing on as a killer or turning in to a lady. She is an adventurer and a loner so it made sense to me. I think Tyrion knew the watch was kind of a joke, but it appeased Greyworm. Ultimately, it meant he would join the people of the north and Tormund. He seemed to be the new Mance Rayder, the king beyond the wall.

My biggest issue is with Greyworm and the Dothraki being given clemency for their war crimes. Sure, they were acting on behalf of their now dead queen, but it was odd to see Greyworm given any respect or dignity and Jon as a prisoner. Apparently only some characters need to be held accountable for their "crimes".

It took me a minute to figure out what was happening after the fade to black in the throne room and Tyrion being led to the dragon pit, but then I realized, oh, they're skipping those details again. I guess that would be my other complaint, this season consistently left the most interesting plot points to occur off screen (Jon revealing who he is to his family, Arya's magical stealth attack of the Night King, Jon being confronted or revealing he murdered Dany). I would have thought more people would be in support of what Jon did than opposed, but it was also unclear if people were supposed to know he was really Aegon Targaeryn since they kept referring to him as Jon. A few weeks ago it seemed like everyone was going to know soon and then Varys was sending out notes. Did those not get sent and did no one else talk? 

It's a hopeless situation...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I thought it was ok, but lots of loose ends. To have that much time to write and film this season and to have so many questions seems a bit weak. I’ll definitely miss the show even if it started going south in the last couple of seasons. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

I was actually more ok with this ending and thought it played out better than expected based on the previous episodes. I think Arya going off to explore made more sense than her continuing on as a killer or turning in to a lady. She is an adventurer and a loner so it made sense to me. I think Tyrion knew the watch was kind of a joke, but it appeased Greyworm. Ultimately, it meant he would join the people of the north and Tormund. He seemed to be the new Mance Rayder, the king beyond the wall.

My biggest issue is with Greyworm and the Dothraki being given clemency for their war crimes. Sure, they were acting on behalf of their now dead queen, but it was odd to see Greyworm given any respect or dignity and Jon as a prisoner. Apparently only some characters need to be held accountable for their "crimes".

It took me a minute to figure out what was happening after the fade to black in the throne room and Tyrion being led to the dragon pit, but then I realized, oh, they're skipping those details again. I guess that would be my other complaint, this season consistently left the most interesting plot points to occur off screen (Jon revealing who he is to his family, Arya's magical stealth attack of the Night King, Jon being confronted or revealing he murdered Dany). I would have thought more people would be in support of what Jon did than opposed, but it was also unclear if people were supposed to know he was really Aegon Targaeryn since they kept referring to him as Jon. A few weeks ago it seemed like everyone was going to know soon and then Varys was sending out notes. Did those not get sent and did no one else talk? 

Yeah I kept wondering when Varys' notes were going to become important.  I thought there was going to be some sort of come to Jesus meeting with Dany where the leaders of Westeros laid down the law.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah I kept wondering when Varys' notes were going to become important.  I thought there was going to be some sort of come to Jesus meeting with Dany where the leaders of Westeros laid down the law.
    Problems that arise when HBO gives you a blank check to make more episodes and the creators decline. Kind of makes me think the creators and the actors were all ready to move on to other projects after 10 years. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    mfc2006 said:
    I thought it was ok, but lots of loose ends. To have that much time to write and film this season and to have so many questions seems a bit weak. I’ll definitely miss the show even if it started going south in the last couple of seasons. 
    Yeah.  Don't get why Benioff and Weiss were so insistent on only doing 6 episodes for this final season.  So many parts felt rushed.  Sounds like HBO was willing to let them do as many episodes as they wanted but for some reason they only wanted 6.