Bands: Favorite, Most Loyalty Toward, Longest Time Fan Of.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
Kind of a twist on "What is your favorite band?"  
List three bands (only three!), one for each category of:

"My Favorite Band"
"The band I feel Most Loyal Toward"
"The band that you've been a fan of for the Longest Time"

For extra credit, do the same for individual musicians.

Here's mine:
Favorite Band:  Dinosaur Jr.
Most Loyalty Toward:  Pearl Jam
Longest Time fan of:  The Beach Boys

Favorite Musician: Neil Young
Most Loyal Toward (musician): Paul Westerberg
Longest Time fan of (musician): Brian Wilson
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Pearl Jam
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Favorite - Pearl Jam (all time), Metric (current)
    Loyalty - Pearl Jam, Rush
    Tenure - U2, Rush
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Zeppelin
    Zeppelin
    Zeppelin
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    edited May 2019
    The Who & The Clash
    The Who & The Clash
    The Who & The Clash

Post edited by qontheboard on
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Eagles
    Michael Jackson
    Huey Lewis

just kidding

Pearl Jam/Phish
    Pearl Jam
    Chicago
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Here's mine - The answers are based on the current moment. 

Favorite Band:  The National (assume this meant active bands that still try)
    Most Loyalty Toward:  Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Longest Time fan of:  Pearl Jam
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Eagles
    Michael Jackson
    Huey Lewis

just kidding

Pearl Jam/Phish
    Pearl Jam
    Chicago
    You've been playing too many "Weakest Link" polls!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The resistance to choose only one for each category is weak here, lol.  I figured it would be- was hard for me!

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ for all three!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Favorite Band- The Weeks
    Most Loyal to- Pearl Jam
    Longest Time Fan- Iron Maiden

I don't follow any solo musicians closely so no bonus for me...
    Favorite Band- The Weeks
    Most Loyal to- Pearl Jam
    Longest Time Fan- Iron Maiden

I don't follow any solo musicians closely so no bonus for me...
    You get a "participation award".  "Everyone's a winner."   :lol: 

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited May 2019
    Favourite Band: Pearl Jam
    Most Loyalty Toward: Pearl Jam / Brad
    Longest Time Fan Of: Pearl Jam

Favourite Musician: Eddie Vedder / Bob Marley
    Most Loyalty Toward (Musician): Eddie Vedder / Jack Johnson
    Longest Time Fan Of (Musician): Eddie Vedder / Bob Marley
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i could never do this. there are way too many first place wins. nice try though  ;)
    i could never do this. there are way too many first place wins. nice try though  ;)
    I get it!  Just thought I'd torture everyone a little this AM.  :lol:   

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    ha ha u bastard !  ;)

music fans are a special breed...

i take music pretty seriously, like a lot of us do here, and i really hate when people use the word hate when talking about music. "hate" and the word "music" just don't belong in the same sentence. ever. i would never diss any band or any music(art included) because i personally know how it feels when someone attacks my band. it's way too emotional and individually personal to pass negative judgment on. like OR don't like nickleback(!!) but imo there's no need to broadcast dislike! move on with your hate asap, and share more love! go ahead and turn me on, but don't turn me off !  rant over on that one ;)

bands come and go. trends come and go. we age and we change. the music i adored&cherished when i was 17 is still very much relevant in my life today. i still love the old stuff and those first bands/records made me the fan i am today. that love&respect i have has not changed one bit over the years. there is no way i could ever grade old vs new. then there's the whole angle of who you have seen and shared time with live vs bands/music you never got to see live. insert bob marley here. irie mon 

i'm just not that good and being boxed into a corner when it comes to my music choices. i can make a top ten list right now but that list is not static, it's constantly changing. i'm loyal to every band and music that has touched my inner core. i'm amazed that at my ripe old age i still find great old undiscovered(by me) music and that i also found a new band, 2 months ago, that is changing my world right now. we are so f'n blessed to have the music options that we do. i take that as one of life's greatest gifts to humans/me/us

especially, empathy goes out to people who just don't get it and to the people who, because of where they live, don't get the zillion music options that we have. i listen to music every single day and i never limit myself to the discovery of my new bestest  :) 

every band wins. every piece of music ever created has equal valve. right from beethoven to the new best band on the planet, and if you care, they are called ripe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBHjH5YomA&list=RDeMBHjH5YomA&start_radio=1
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Black Crowes
    the Beatles 
    the Beatles

Chris Robinson
    John Lennon/Paul McCartney 
    Lennon/McCartney

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    1. Pearl Jam or Radiohead
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. U2

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:
    The resistance to choose only one for each category is weak here, lol.  I figured it would be- was hard for me!
    Choosing only one was crazy tough, especially deciding where to fit PJ in!

Favourite band: REM
    Most loyalty toward: Pearl Jam
    Longest time fan of: Neil Young

Favourite musician: John Butler
    Most loyalty toward: Foy Vance
    Longest time fan of: Mark Lanegan
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Middle Kids
    Midnight Oil 
    The Clash 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    ha ha u bastard !  ;)

music fans are a special breed...

i take music pretty seriously, like a lot of us do here, and i really hate when people use the word hate when talking about music. "hate" and the word "music" just don't belong in the same sentence. ever. i would never diss any band or any music(art included) because i personally know how it feels when someone attacks my band. it's way too emotional and individually personal to pass negative judgment on. like OR don't like nickleback(!!) but imo there's no need to broadcast dislike! move on with your hate asap, and share more love! go ahead and turn me on, but don't turn me off !  rant over on that one ;)

bands come and go. trends come and go. we age and we change. the music i adored&cherished when i was 17 is still very much relevant in my life today. i still love the old stuff and those first bands/records made me the fan i am today. that love&respect i have has not changed one bit over the years. there is no way i could ever grade old vs new. then there's the whole angle of who you have seen and shared time with live vs bands/music you never got to see live. insert bob marley here. irie mon 

i'm just not that good and being boxed into a corner when it comes to my music choices. i can make a top ten list right now but that list is not static, it's constantly changing. i'm loyal to every band and music that has touched my inner core. i'm amazed that at my ripe old age i still find great old undiscovered(by me) music and that i also found a new band, 2 months ago, that is changing my world right now. we are so f'n blessed to have the music options that we do. i take that as one of life's greatest gifts to humans/me/us

especially, empathy goes out to people who just don't get it and to the people who, because of where they live, don't get the zillion music options that we have. i listen to music every single day and i never limit myself to the discovery of my new bestest  :) 

every band wins. every piece of music ever created has equal valve. right from beethoven to the new best band on the planet, and if you care, they are called ripe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBHjH5YomA&list=RDeMBHjH5YomA&start_radio=1
    I totally agree about "hate" and "music" being to words that should never go together.  I feel the same way about calling any music "bad music".  And I literally mean any music.  Sure, there is music that is made for purely commercial gain and I could see maybe cautiously questioning the motive, but not the music.  Every piece of music has a fan out there in the world somewhere for whom that music helps them feel good or brings them joy.  That is good!

My tastes in music change over time as well.  For me, the kind of list I'm playing with here will change over time.  Maybe even next month or next week.  On occasion, I've gone back to old "what is your favorite..." type threads to see where I've gone on my journey through music.  For some, that journey reaches a place of comfort and that person stays there, maybe for the rest of their life.  I know a number of people like that.  I can't say whether that's a good thing or a bod thing- it's just how it is for some.  For me, my interest is ever evolving- maybe even, at times, devolving into some wretched quagmire of beautifully ugly music.  But again, it's all good!

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Favorite: Pearl Jam
    Most Loyalty Toward:  Pearl Jam
    Longest Time fan of:  The Beatles

Favorite Musician: Paul McCartney
    Most Loyal Toward (musician): Neil Young
    Longest Time fan of (musician): Stevie Wonder
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    I've been reading Warren Zane's excellent Tom Petty Biography, Petty, and kind of following it by watching chapters from the DVD, "Runnin' Down a Dream", so this week my list kind of feels like:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Tom Petty
    Tom Petty
    Tom Petty

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2019
    My favorite band changes often....
    Favorite Band - (now) - Lukas Nelson and Promis of the Real.
    Most Loyalty - Pearl Jam
    Longest Time - Waylon Jennings
    (since I was 4)(I'm 42)
    Post edited by RYME on
    brianlux said:
    I've been reading Warren Zane's excellent Tom Petty Biography, Petty, and kind of following it by watching chapters from the DVD, "Runnin' Down a Dream", so this week my list kind of feels like:

Tom Petty
    Tom Petty
    Tom Petty
    exactly !
    and man do i ever miss not having tom around anymore  :(
    absolutely one of the greats. it still hurts.
    tpah and me have had such a long great history together
    loyalty? off the charts for me, since first listen 38 yrs ago
    i own every release and chased him down for that one best perfect live show
    running down a dream indeed

and tom as a traveling wilbury?
    favourite band ever!!

The Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    My favorite band = Pearl Jam
    The band I feel most loyal toward = Pearl Jam 
    The band that I've been a fan of for the longest time = Motley Crue

These were more difficult...trying to separate the musician from the band.
    Favorite Musician = Chris Cornell
    Most Loyal Toward (musician) = Chris Cornell
    Longest Time fan of (musician) = Ozzy

Also tough to leave FNM & Mike Patton from this, but Pearl Jam and Cornell finish forward, at this point in time.  Crue and Ozzy win out from the metal youth days.  :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:

Tom Petty
    Tom Petty
    Tom Petty
    exactly !
    and man do i ever miss not having tom around anymore  :(
    absolutely one of the greats. it still hurts.
    tpah and me have had such a long great history together
    loyalty? off the charts for me, since first listen 38 yrs ago
    i own every release and chased him down for that one best perfect live show
    running down a dream indeed

and tom as a traveling wilbury?
    favourite band ever!!

The Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line

A friend of mine turned me on to Petty by playing me Damn the Torpedoes.  It had just come out, I'd not heard of Petty before that and right off that bat, that first listen, I knew I was going to love this guys work.

I was driving home last night in the rain listening to my TP greatest hits CD and "Even the Losers" starts playing and I'm thinking about something I read in the biography and next thing I know I'm tearing up and thinking, "Oh man, gone way too soon", wiping tears away and trying to drive.   :-(

I'm so glad I got to see Petty and the Heartbreakers with Bob Dylan.  What a fine show!

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    National
    LCD Soundsystem
    PJ
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Middle Kids
    Midnight Oil 
    The Clash 
    Nice choices!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

Also tough to leave FNM & Mike Patton from this, but Pearl Jam and Cornell finish forward, at this point in time.  Crue and Ozzy win out from the metal youth days.  :)
    I never cared for Ozzy solo and could never get into Patton either.  What is something I should check out from Patton that I might enjoy?  No Mr Bungle or FNM, something in the last 10 years or so.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I never cared for Ozzy solo and could never get into Patton either.  What is something I should check out from Patton that I might enjoy?  No Mr Bungle or FNM, something in the last 10 years or so.
    I'm telling you for the last time, Dead Cross!
    I SAW PEARL JAM