A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    MayDay10 said:
    Jason P said:
    Rumor is that books 6 and 7 are complete and Martin has a deal with HBO to delay publishing until season 8 concludes 
    I have said that was my suspicion before....  Not sure if it is true, and not sure if the Barristan Selmy-actor would know.  

It makes sense though, for HBO to want the 'exclusive' on the story and the ending.
    GRRM posted it was not true already. Even worse, is he said he has not even started Book 7. Working on the TOOL timeline of creativity. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I'm surprised if he is halfway done the next book.  Hoping he is 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Isn't GRRM like 70 and in poor health? Whatever books aren't finished I doubt they ever will be. I also doubt the rumors are true about completed books, so I'm guessing we'll never know how the story ends in the books. If it wasn't for HBO we probably wouldn't have any ending at all, but then again if it wasn't for HBO I probably would have never heard of the books either.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited May 2019
    Poor health?  Is that a "Fat Joke?"

:lol:    
    Not a joke. But wouldn't 70 and being (morbidly?) obese count as poor health?
    Oh, I agree.  Dude looks massively unhealthy.  (haha, not a joke, although I chuckled as I typed that)
    Definitely. If he hasn't even started book 7 yet, I doubt there will ever be one. At least not one written by him.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Poor health?  Is that a "Fat Joke?"

:lol:    
    Looks fit enough to be president...
    It's a hopeless situation...
    JK_Livin said:
    So I didn't catch that Varys was trying to poison Dany or was poisoning here and she stopped eating. Maybe it's his fault she went crazy.
    Yes, so upon rewatch I caught that scene with Martha (the little girl) and Varys better and realized that she worked in the kitchen and was being used by Varys to try and poison Dany. I would assume that Dany wasn't eating because she was suspicious of Varys and knew his history with his use of "spiders" and poison.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27453212/varys-daenerys-poison-plan-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/
    mace1229 said:
    I don't see any scenario were Arya kills Jon just for his face. Jon looked disgusted and ready to turn against Dany once she started burning the city. But even if he didn't, I don't think Arya would kill him.
    I agree. Arya wouldn't kill Jon. I would appreciate it the most if she killed Greyworm and took his face. After his turn during the battle and decision to kill innocents, he's an easy expenditure. His purpose has been fulfilled on the show at this point.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I'm thinking Winds of Winter is pretty close to getting a release date, and I wouldn't be shocked for a Summer announcement for a holiday/winter release 2019. 

Hoping that GRRM will see the light at the end of the tunnel and is motivated to start up on Dream of Spring fairly quickly.  Worst-case, we could be looking at another 5-year span between books... but I dont think it would be a 7-10+ year thing.  I truly think Dance With Dragons wrote him into a corner a bit and continuing on was a daunting challenge that caused him to backburner Winds of Winter, and the reason it has taken so long, is because the amount of work this novel requires to bring the story back under control and focus.  Once the "knot" is un-done, I think Dream of Spring should be fairly straight-forward.  
    Based on Dany's decision to kill thousands of innocent unarmed people in order for them to fear her and never try to usurp her rule, why would she even consider keeping Jon around at this point? There has never been more of a reason for her to kill him, especially since everyone basically knows he is the rightful heir to the throne. He's walking in Ned Stark territory at this point. Blind loyalty will get him killed, again.
    tbergs said:
    Based on Dany's decision to kill thousands of innocent unarmed people in order for them to fear her and never try to usurp her rule, why would she even consider keeping Jon around at this point? There has never been more of a reason for her to kill him, especially since everyone basically knows he is the rightful heir to the throne. He's walking in Ned Stark territory at this point. Blind loyalty will get him killed, again.
    It looked like there was a battle and Winterfell in the previews. SO I'm assuming they are going to battle it out. I assumed no tbecause Dany wanted him gone, but because Jon finally saw she was the Mad Queen and he should take his spot on the throne even if he doesn't want it. Or at least overthrow Dany and dissolve the 7 kingdoms and he would rule the North.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    tbergs said:
    Booty calls ...  nookie ... to ask him advice on decisions and then do the exact opposite 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    tbergs said:
    JK_Livin said:
    So I didn't catch that Varys was trying to poison Dany or was poisoning here and she stopped eating. Maybe it's his fault she went crazy.
    Yes, so upon rewatch I caught that scene with Martha (the little girl) and Varys better and realized that she worked in the kitchen and was being used by Varys to try and poison Dany. I would assume that Dany wasn't eating because she was suspicious of Varys and knew his history with his use of "spiders" and poison.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27453212/varys-daenerys-poison-plan-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/
    Ok, I have to admit, I completely missed this.  I had no idea Varys was attempting to poison her.  Man, i'm an idiot!  This all makes sense now.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mca47 said:
    tbergs said:
    JK_Livin said:

Ok, I have to admit, I completely missed this.  I had no idea Varys was attempting to poison her.  Man, i'm an idiot!  This all makes sense now.  
    I didn't understand why they were watching the girl or why Varys was chatting with her.  Missed it too...
    For the story line are all Targerians meant to turn out "mad"?!?

Is that their downfall?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

Is that their downfall?
    no
    mca47 said:
    tbergs said:
    JK_Livin said:

It went over my head the first time too. I just assumed that he was using Martha to spy and they were having convo about her lack of eating. It was one of the better scripted moments in the show and subtle enough to where I had never imagined Varys would try to have Dany killed, at least not yet. It also made me wonder if Dany was waiting to see who would come forward and tell her first and then have the other fried to a crisp as punishment. It does give a little more credence to her flip to Queen of Ashes. All that brooding she was doing over her friends and dragons' deaths, the murmuring of Jon being the heir and her own advisers starting to turn on her. Then Jon rejects her and it's on. She realizes that no matter what she does, they won't love her and they will only presume the worst, even after all she has done, so then she must make them fear her so they quit trying to take her out, especially in the infancy of her soon to be rule.

I don't know, I think I am talking myself in to the Dany flip being more and more believable. No one has hailed her since she arrived in Westeros and she has already been shown to have a very harsh judgment on those who don't follow her rule. 
    edited May 2019

Is that their downfall?
    Half. Varys says things like "the Gods flip a coin."
    And it isn't just Targerians, its all children of incest. Tyrian refers to the 50/50 odds with Cersi's kids too, saying she beat the odds because only 1 of her 3 turned out to be mad.
    The Targs are just known for keeping pure bloodlines, so half of them are mad.
    mace1229 said:

Is that their downfall?
    And it isn't just Targerians, its all children of incest. Tyrian refers to the 50/50 odds with Cersi's kids too, saying she beat the odds because only 1 of her 3 turned out to be mad.
    Ahhhh got it.  The incest thing makes sense.

So what about Bran?  His story has to do something?  If not he will have been the worst story line plot for the whole show.

Unless his whole purpose was to see Jon Snow get born and know of his true identity?  Is that all?
    edited May 2019
    mace1229 said:

Is that their downfall?
    Ahhhh got it.  The incest thing makes sense.

So what about Bran?  His story has to do something?  If not he will have been the worst story line plot for the whole show.

Unless his whole purpose was to see Jon Snow get born and know of his true identity?  Is that all?
    I agree about Bran.
    I feel like they committed to the short 7 and 8 seasons and weren't able to wrap everything up. 
    It seemed like this week they had so many survivors that expected to be dead by now they just wiped them all out at once. And some storylines, like Bran's, come across as incomplete or pointless. Unless there's something else big coming. I just dont know what they can do in 1 episode with where they left off.
    If all they wanted him for was to confirm Jon's parents, then they could have done with a lot less background for him.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i loved the 5th episode,,my favo from this season
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Jason P said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Jason P said:
    Rumor is that books 6 and 7 are complete and Martin has a deal with HBO to delay publishing until season 8 concludes 
    I have said that was my suspicion before....  Not sure if it is true, and not sure if the Barristan Selmy-actor would know.  

It makes sense though, for HBO to want the 'exclusive' on the story and the ending.
    I think the books will end quite differently.  I believe that the show runner is creating new content that probably goes before Martin for his blessing but isn’t based on unfinished manuscripts of the final books.  I have nothing to base that on but instinct 

He recently said that the major characters will end up the same but minor character would be quite different.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    This review of episode 5 is the best one I've seen so far. I pretty much agree with it all:

https://youtu.be/_uNgQ-lK9ks

It starts with a recap, then reviews the episode

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    I just stopped in to say this season blows.  Thank you.  As you were.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    500,000 people have signed a petition demanding Season 8 is remade?!? FFS, I'm sure there are bigger problems in the world than disagreeing with the way a fantasy show is written :confused:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48303921
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Losers!
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    goldrush said:
    500,000 people have signed a petition demanding Season 8 is remade?!? FFS, I'm sure there are bigger problems in the world than disagreeing with the way a fantasy show is written :confused:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48303921
    I did not sign the petition though....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    If people had to walk 4 blocks to "sign" that petition they would have a total of seven signatures.   We really need to differentiate between going out and signing a signature to a sheet of paper vs. hitting a button on your phone while you are pooping.