2018/2019 NBA Thread

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Durant out
    I miss igotid88
    Durant out
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    igotid88 said:
    Durant out
    Well now, Let's see what happens!
    igotid88 said:
    Durant out
    I mean for the series. But I guess that could change
    I miss igotid88
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    igotid88 said:
    Durant out
    I'm hoping that Steph and Klay torch them, but neither has been having a great playoff series. Obviously KD out is big, BUT if Steph gets hot, it won't matter and they will win. Credit to Tucker, who has been really disrupting the Warriors offense with his physicality and excellent D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Durant out
    I mean for the series. But I guess that could change
    I get it but hey, the Rockets could torch them as it has been Durant that has been holding them together it seems of late.
    OK.  Let's talk Lakers, the new Knicks or dumpster fire, you choose.

The Lakers made a mistake in hiring Walton.  They threw a bunch of money at a young coach that did well up in Golden state when Kerr was out.

Hot take here!  My coffee cup could have coached that team and won...

Take the best player in the world in Lebron and wherever he went the team did amazing.  Insert 'Bron and you have a winning team.  Not so with the Lakers.  You could argue that the supporting cast wasn't all that great sure but, a bunch of the teams that he manned the helm for weren't good either.

So now we go to Tyronn Lue.  Championship winning coach... Remember what I said about inserting 'Bron. Feels slighted that he was offered so little to coach the Lakers.

Here is a young coach that was inserted into a winning team and had success but also had Lebron.

I feel the Lakers don't want to make the same mistake twice and hire a relatively young coach and get nothing in return.

Both situations that Lue and Walton were in their previous teams came easy for them.  There wasn't any real strife amongst these teams, they were winning before they got there.

The Lakers need a real coach, someone seasoned and I don't think that Lue is it.  Monty Williams was smart in not taking the job though.  This organization has been a mess for years, oh and don't get me started on Magic!  I applauded his arrival and thought that the Lakers could use him for good measure but how quick I am to forget what he had done in the past with the team and his lack of management skills.

What is Larry Brown doing these days?

Thoughts?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

The Lakers made a mistake in hiring Walton.  They threw a bunch of money at a young coach that did well up in Golden state when Kerr was out.

Take the best player in the world in Lebron and wherever he went the team did amazing.  Insert 'Bron and you have a winning team.  Not so with the Lakers.  You could argue that the supporting cast wasn't all that great sure but, a bunch of the teams that he manned the helm for weren't good either.

So now we go to Tyronn Lue.  Championship winning coach... Remember what I said about inserting 'Bron. Feels slighted that he was offered so little to coach the Lakers.

Here is a young coach that was inserted into a winning team and had success but also had Lebron.

I feel the Lakers don't want to make the same mistake twice and hire a relatively young coach and get nothing in return.

Both situations that Lue and Walton were in their previous teams came easy for them.  There wasn't any real strife amongst these teams, they were winning before they got there.

The Lakers need a real coach, someone seasoned and I don't think that Lue is it.  Monty Williams was smart in not taking the job though.  This organization has been a mess for years, oh and don't get me started on Magic!  I applauded his arrival and thought that the Lakers could use him for good measure but how quick I am to forget what he had done in the past with the team and his lack of management skills.

Thoughts?
    they signed an aging superstar with a lot of miles on his wheels with a hope he could get other stars to align with him. If Lebron isn't healthier or better down the line they are fucked because it doesn't look like the other stars are signing with him. basically it doesn't matter who their coach is.  Lue was right to pass up the job. they wanted to give him a below average salary. 
    edited May 2019
    pjhawks said:

Thoughts?
    they signed an aging superstar with a lot of miles on his wheels with a hope he could get other stars to align with him. If Lebron isn't healthier or better down the line they are fucked because it doesn't look like the other stars are signing with him. basically it doesn't matter who their coach is.  Lue was right to pass up the job. they wanted to give him a below average salary. 
    They offered Lue 6 million a year where the average coach gets 3 million so not sure what you mean by that...

EDIT: Lebron does need to act like Kareem and take a supporting role on the team now, I agree with that though.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    edited May 2019
    LeBron would never play for Larry Brown or a similar coach these days.
    He wanted Lue cause basically that means Lebron is the coach. He wants that type of coach.
    He proved how good a GM he is last offseason by acquiring Rondo, Stephenson, MaGee and Beasley.
    How did that team not go 82-0?

Post edited by Poncier on
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Happy to see Lebron waste the last few years of his career. At least he’s gotten a head start in his Hollywood connections though!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:

Thoughts?
    They offered Lue 6 million a year where the average coach gets 3 million so not sure what you mean by that...

EDIT: Lebron does need to act like Kareem and take a supporting role on the team now, I agree with that though.
    I thought i saw on ESPN they offered below average salary?  if not true then my bad.
    Poncier said:
    LeBron would never play for Larry Brown or a similar coach these days.
    He wanted Lue cause basically that means Lebron is the coach. He wants that type of coach.
    He proved how good a GM he is last offseason by acquiring Rondo, Stephenson, MaGee and Beasley.
    How did that team not go 82-0?

Happy to see Lebron waste the last few years of his career. At least he’s gotten a head start in his Hollywood connections though!

I agree with Bron as the worst GM ever other than Magic, lol.

Brown is what he needs and you are right that he wouldn't play for him but if he listened then you could have something possibly.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Thoughts?

I thought i saw on ESPN they offered below average salary?  if not true then my bad.
    I know he complained(Lue) about the years but the salary is right in line with the top coaches.

As someone mentioned above Lebron is coaching the team in reality and I wouldn't pay him a bunch of money either if that is the case.

Lebron needs to adapt or he will not age gracefully...
    Reportedly length of contract (only 3 years offered) and a requirement to hire Kurt Rambis as an assistant were reasons Lue said no.

Note that I was the biggest Lebron supporter for years and since he went back to Cleveland I noticed the change in him.  It's depressing that he was that good and getting better then something happened and he fell off a cliff.  The team around him stopped getting better.  Maybe they weren't buying into his brand anymore either?

I'd like the ESPN Lebron insider Brian Windhorst to dish some more on this but don't think he will until he retires.
    Poncier said:
    Reportedly length of contract (only 3 years offered) and a requirement to hire Kurt Rambis as an assistant were reasons Lue said no.

I knew the length was a problem and hiring of staff was but never heard that Rambis was a hiring requirement.  Interesting.

No one agrees with my Walton take?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited May 2019

i dont think he's completely inept but i definitely agree that almost any current or former NBA coach could have coached that team to an awesome start.  He hit the lottery with Kerr being out.  They came out on fire

as for LeBron, i've almost thought that he should bulk up and go back into post mode for his twilight years.  That was my favorite part of his Miami days.  His footwork was great.  Maybe i'm wrong and he's got a few more years of playing coast to coast but it would beat watching him hoist up 3's.  

Lakers will probably settle with a decent middle of the road coach like Vogel or Woodson.  Just seems anti-climactic.  They're not going to land a homerun coach.  I really don't think they'll land a top 10 Free Agent.  Probably Boogie and some role players.  The days of players being in awe of Lebron are probably over and they just don't want the drama and circus that goes with playing with him.  As for Larry Brown, the last i heard he was close to 80 and coaching in like a AA Euro League.  He's a lifer for sure.  
    Poncier said:

I knew the length was a problem and hiring of staff was but never heard that Rambis was a hiring requirement.  Interesting.

https://thespun.com/nba/new-report-reveals-why-ty-lue-turned-down-lakers-offer

Not sure if its accurate info or not, but rumor is out there.

i dont think he's completely inept but i definitely agree that almost any current or former NBA coach could have coached that team to an awesome start.  He hit the lottery with Kerr being out.  They came out on fire

as for LeBron, i've almost thought that he should bulk up and go back into post mode for his twilight years.  That was my favorite part of his Miami days.  His footwork was great.  Maybe i'm wrong and he's got a few more years of playing coast to coast but it would beat watching him hoist up 3's.  

Lakers will probably settle with a decent middle of the road coach like Vogel or Woodson.  Just seems anti-climactic.  They're not going to land a homerun coach.  I really don't think they'll land a top 10 Free Agent.  Probably Boogie and some role players.  The days of players being in awe of Lebron are probably over and they just don't want the drama and circus that goes with playing with him.  As for Larry Brown, the last i heard he was close to 80 and coaching in like a AA Euro League.  He's a lifer for sure.  
    Would love to see Kawhi go to the Clippers so Lebron won't even be the best player in his own arena. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Would love to see Kawhi go to the Clippers so Lebron won't even be the best player in his own arena. 
    That's coldblooded yo.  Durant might be in that building soon so give it a few months, July is right around the corner.

That's coldblooded yo.  Durant might be in that building soon so give it a few months, July is right around the corner.
    I'd also love to see Kawhi back in the west!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Lakers & NYK are irrelevant to talk about right now while the playoffs are going on =)
    Zero points for Curry on first half????
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Game is tied though.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    23scidoo said:
    Game is tied though.
    wow, impressive comeback from the warriors and curry. Thought Houston was finally gonna take them down this year.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Warriors was warriors last night..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Game is tied though.
    wow, impressive comeback from the warriors and curry. Thought Houston was finally gonna take them down this year.
    Rockets=90's Jazz