Options

Facebook crush feature - would you use it?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Fuck facebook.  I would rather give up a nut than join that site and have people I barely know/remember contacting me.
    Glad others like it.  I hate facebook more than most things.
    Luckily we have total control over who we are friends with there. If your profile is private nobody you barely know is going to be contacting you anyhow. Whatever. All I'm saying is that the uses for facebook are a lot more flexible and controllable than some seem to think. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fuck facebook.  I would rather give up a nut than join that site and have people I barely know/remember contacting me.
    Luckily we have total control over who we are friends with there. If your profile is private nobody you barely know is going to be contacting you anyhow. Whatever. All I'm saying is that the uses for facebook are a lot more flexible and controllable than some seem to think. :)
    That is why I do not use it.
    I hate on it because of the drones so many of the people in our generation or older are due to their facebook addictions. Also, my wife is a regular user and it causes issues for me....as in, we visit a city and some douchenozzle that she went to high school with and hasnt seen in 20 years is now a priority for us to visit with, because said asswipe saw her post that we were in town and reached out. 
    :lol:   

I think the tools that the kids use (Instagram or Snapchat or even TikTok) are much more entertaining and cooler than old person Facebook...but I do not use those either.  I am a @Wobbie when it comes to Facebook.  "Get off of my lawn!"
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    I liked FB much more when it was only open to colleges. If I remember correctly, it started sometime around sophomore or junior year and was open to my school at the beginning of my senior year. It was cool to reconnect with high school friends at first. Then, it got to where you didn't have anyone else to find so you didn't know what to do with it. I started using it a little more when it was opened up to anyone, but all the food photos and political rants turned me off of it. I still check it about once a week, but could honestly be fine with deactivating it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is why I do not use it.
    I hate on it because of the drones so many of the people in our generation or older are due to their facebook addictions. Also, my wife is a regular user and it causes issues for me....as in, we visit a city and some douchenozzle that she went to high school with and hasnt seen in 20 years is now a priority for us to visit with, because said asswipe saw her post that we were in town and reached out. 
    :lol:   

I think the tools that the kids use (Instagram or Snapchat or even TikTok) are much more entertaining and cooler than old person Facebook...but I do not use those either.  I am a @Wobbie when it comes to Facebook.  "Get off of my lawn!"
    :lol: I would definitely have no tolerance for visiting someone's high school friends, that is for sure!! I personally unfriended every single one of my high school "friends"  - I quickly realized there was absolutely no benefit to it - I want my newsfeed full of actual news and music stuff, but instead it was full of fucking pictures of kids I couldn't care less about. I purged completely and am now only friends with my real life friends that I have now, and people who all share the same specific interests as me. Facebook is a good resource for me now because of this. Obviously I couldn't care less about what is cooler (and I am an old person, lol!), but FB is far more entertaining to me than Instagram because it's a far better source for news and political discussion, and also has the best closed groups for movie and music fans who actually want to converse.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I like facebook for the most part, but Im a very passive contributor.

I like to have a connection to old college friends and old co-workers.  Without FB, they would likely be lost forever.  While we don't interact all the time, its cool to see what they are up to.

I mainly use it to people watch.  I have some friends that seem to have some sort of disorder when it comes to FB, and I see it as entertainment.  It also exposes those people I know who politically are dinks.
  • Options
    The potential for this drama that's been mentioned is definitely high with Facebook. I've never come close to any of it, but I hear shocking stories! Some people overshare BADLY!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Oh, also, I love FB Messenger and the Face Time or whatever it's called.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    PJ_Soul said:
    The potential for this drama that's been mentioned is definitely high with Facebook. I've never come close to any of it, but I hear shocking stories! Some people overshare BADLY!
    My brother's moron gf shares negative things about him when she is "friends" with my wife and sister...so the two people who are her de-facto 'Sister In Laws' hear her griping about my brother. 
    It causes friction, to be sure.

Some people cannot be saved from themselves.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, also, I love FB Messenger and the Face Time or whatever it's called.
    Yeah, the messenger is good.  I have a group of friends here, and Canada and we get together every year.  We have a group on the messenger and we pretty much talk/communicate every day.

I also like the closed groups (so everyone cant see me post).  I only make a 'public' post once every 4 months or so. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    I unfriended (or now just muted) friends that were constantly posting things like "devastated!" with just the word, just pining for people to comment "what's wrong?" 'I'm here for you!", blah blah blah and they'd never come back and say what was wrong. I found that to be the ultimate in pathetic online behaviour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and as PJ said, I spent a ridiculous amount of time searching out old friends (and them, me) from school and that general time period, only to realize there was a definite reason I don't talk to those people anymore. didn't have enough in common then to stay in touch, so the relationships took their natural course and should have stayed that way. facebook can interfere with the natural evolution of human interaction that way. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I unfriended (or now just muted) friends that were constantly posting things like "devastated!" with just the word, just pining for people to comment "what's wrong?" 'I'm here for you!", blah blah blah and they'd never come back and say what was wrong. I found that to be the ultimate in pathetic online behaviour. 
    I love that stuff.  To me, its entertainment and my wife and I laugh about it.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I love that stuff.  To me, its entertainment and my wife and I laugh about it.

I just felt sad for the person. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Wasn’t Facebook once cool or something?
    was it ever? I've been on it for a life-wasting 11 years or so. And I'm constantly looking back, asking myself, why the fuck....?
    Touché ;)  Once the “duck face selfie” started trending, I lost interest.  Duck faced idiots...
    Too many duck faced, collagen filled lips on Instagram
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    The longest I was off Facebook was almost a year I believe. 
    But I am addicted to it, always checking my newsfeed and commenting. I guess it serves a purpose for me (making me feel less lonely).
    It is a cesspit of assholes. I recently had people making fun of my appearance so I changed my profile pic to be something other than a photo of me. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    Go Irish! Sorry, it's been awhile, bud.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    But I am addicted to it, always checking my newsfeed and commenting. I guess it serves a purpose for me (making me feel less lonely).
    It is a cesspit of assholes. I recently had people making fun of my appearance so I changed my profile pic to be something other than a photo of me. 
    That fuxking sucks, and people who would do that to anyone are complete pricks.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah. I had one guy have a look at my profile because he got offended about something I said about the Notre Dame cathedral and he said my paintings suck and that I have no taste in art. I am in a artists group and some guy randomly said "I don't know where my hairline is" whatever that is meant to mean. Another guy said I am ugly. Facebook is full of shit people.
  • Options
    Go Irish! Sorry, it's been awhile, bud.
    Irish are right up there, as well!
    :lol:.      
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    SD48277 said:
    I see the potential of things to go very wrong with this feature. What if someone just "crushes" on every person in their contact list to see who may possibly be " crushing" on them? How is that authentic? Or what if you "crush" on someone who never "crushes" on you? What if your crush doesn't know about this feature? How long would someone wait to see if there is a response? Can you"un-crush " someone? (I am not on FB, so am not sure how all this works.) 

Fortune favours the bold. If you like someone, tell them. It will never be easy, but you will never know until you take that risk. I would say that all of my friendships through this forum have been because one of us reached out to the other. Yes, I know friendships are different than crushing on someone and the risk is different, but for a shy, socially awkward, introvert like myself, it was still a risk. Not everyone I have reached out to has become a friend, but the ones who have are some of the most awesome folks I know. Take a chance.
    You should be an advice giver in the Agnes thread. You've been holding out on us. ;)
    #truth
    Awww, why thank you both. My "advice" usually is one of two directives: Suck it up, buttercup; or, Shut your pie hole. Neither one would be appropriate or taken well, I imagine. Besides, you have been holding your own in that thread, @OffSheGoes35 (big fan, btw). And truly, nothing I could advise would compare to the awesomeness of Chadwick's Opinion thread.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:
    I see the potential of things to go very wrong with this feature. What if someone just "crushes" on every person in their contact list to see who may possibly be " crushing" on them? How is that authentic? Or what if you "crush" on someone who never "crushes" on you? What if your crush doesn't know about this feature? How long would someone wait to see if there is a response? Can you"un-crush " someone? (I am not on FB, so am not sure how all this works.) 

Fortune favours the bold. If you like someone, tell them. It will never be easy, but you will never know until you take that risk. I would say that all of my friendships through this forum have been because one of us reached out to the other. Yes, I know friendships are different than crushing on someone and the risk is different, but for a shy, socially awkward, introvert like myself, it was still a risk. Not everyone I have reached out to has become a friend, but the ones who have are some of the most awesome folks I know. Take a chance.
    You should be an advice giver in the Agnes thread. You've been holding out on us. ;)
    #truth
    Awww, why thank you both. My "advice" usually is one of two directives: Suck it up, buttercup; or, Shut your pie hole. Neither one would be appropriate or taken well, I imagine. Besides, you have been holding your own in that thread, @OffSheGoes35 (big fan, btw). And truly, nothing I could advise would compare to the awesomeness of Chadwick's Opinion thread.
    This is why it is the best advice, imo.
    People who bitch about stuff like this do not want advice....they want to gripe, out in the open, and hope that someone hears them and consoles them. 
    They never actually take anyone's advice/help/opinion, to prove the point.  The internet is a breeding ground for this crap and it sound like Facebook is the home base, judging from some of the posts shared here.  Some laugh at it, some feel badly for people, some try to offer help/consolation/advice - knowing that it will never be taken or even considered, just to be nice.

Chadwick would set it straight, to be sure.  "This world of shit & piss does not care about you.  Climb a rock.  Run through the woods, naked.  Care about yourself." or something pretty awesome along those lines.  Perhaps a story from long ago to inspire the inner Viking to come out and play.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth
    People who bitch about stuff like this do not want advice....they want to gripe, out in the open, and hope that someone hears them and consoles them. 
    They never actually take anyone's advice/help/opinion, to prove the point.  The internet is a breeding ground for this crap and it sound like Facebook is the home base, judging from some of the posts shared here.  Some laugh at it, some feel badly for people, some try to offer help/consolation/advice - knowing that it will never be taken or even considered, just to be nice.

Chadwick would set it straight, to be sure.  "This world of shit & piss does not care about you.  Climb a rock.  Run through the woods, naked.  Care about yourself." or something pretty awesome along those lines.  Perhaps a story from long ago to inspire the inner Viking to come out and play.
    friggin Facebook.  I would run over zuckerberg with a tank.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    SD's posts are bold.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah. I had one guy have a look at my profile because he got offended about something I said about the Notre Dame cathedral and he said my paintings suck and that I have no taste in art. I am in a artists group and some guy randomly said "I don't know where my hairline is" whatever that is meant to mean. Another guy said I am ugly. Facebook is full of shit people.
    it is. you just have to realize that and laugh it off. Like those "celebrities reading mean tweets about themselves" I've seen online. it's fucking hilarious. I don't know if it's from a late night show or what, but many of them are amazing at laughing at themselves. Some of them seem honestly hurt (those ones aren't funny, obviously). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    mickeyrat said:
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth

Now, now, lol!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    mickeyrat said:
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth

You'd crush him.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth
    You're very welcome! And thank you! :)  Hopefully, someday you'll change your mind or someone will ask the one question you can't resist answering. We can only hope. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    edited May 2019
    Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth

You'd crush him.
    WHOOOOAAA!!! AND THERE IT IS!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our "Slack's Hoagie Shack, Play on Words//Play of the Day" right here!

Congratulations to.... Hobbes!!!!!

Hobbes, you will receive a year's worth of crushes, in monthly installments, from the OP beginning June 1st!. Hobbes, this is truly the gift that keeps on giving year round.

As a parting gift, Hobbes, you will also receive one ham hoagie (no cheese and no lettuce, no tomato, and no onions---just ham, nothing else) from Slack's Hoagie Shack in beeeaaautifull Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. This will be sent regular mail in an oversized cardboard box that will have you saying "Wow, this box seems like way too much for just a ham hoagie. Why didn't they send it in something more economical? And jesus h christ, this thing smells bad."

Thank you. Take care, everyone. Good night and drive safe!!!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    it is. you just have to realize that and laugh it off. Like those "celebrities reading mean tweets about themselves" I've seen online. it's fucking hilarious. I don't know if it's from a late night show or what, but many of them are amazing at laughing at themselves. Some of them seem honestly hurt (those ones aren't funny, obviously). 
    “It’s always funny until someone gets hurt, and then, it’s just hilarious!”

https://youtu.be/BzoDVzO1F9I

Hobbes said:
    mickeyrat said:
    SD48277 said:
    SD48277 said:

#truth

You'd crush him.
    WHOOOOAAA!!! AND THERE IT IS!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our "Slack's Hoagie Shack, Play on Words//Play of the Day" right here!

Congratulations to.... Hobbes!!!!!

Hobbes, you will receive a year's worth of crushes, in monthly installments, from the OP beginning June 1st!. Hobbes, this is truly the gift that keeps on giving year round.

As a parting gift, Hobbes, you will also receive one ham hoagie (no cheese and no lettuce, no tomato, and no onions---just ham, nothing else) from Slack's Hoagie Shack in beeeaaautifull Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. This will be sent regular mail in an oversized cardboard box that will have you saying "Wow, this box seems like way too much for just a ham hoagie. Why didn't they send it in something more economical? And jesus h christ, this thing smells bad."

Thank you. Take care, everyone. Good night and drive safe!!!
    Drive safely

I swear....
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    PJ_Soul said:
    That sucks and is really mean-spirited. But, if you're heterosexual, you shouldn't be too concerned with other guys opinions of your appearance.