Create a Traveling Wilburys type band.

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    I see a lot of people adding a drummer.  I don't think that would be needed in a group like this.  Everyone should be strumming and jamming.

That is my interpretation of the band though.
    Most people are creating Super Groups - I know how the Traveling Wilburys worked and why it worked. I didn't think we were supposed to copy it.  Just choose from living musicians and put together a group of random musicians who might work and possibly create something special (or it could fail miserably). But it would be something different, like the Wilburys did.  

FWIW - My mother, who is in her 80's,  loved them when they came out and still loves them. She bought their CD. She is a huge James Taylor fan, I've even gone to see him with her twice, so I can see how they would appeal to her. I think it's cool.   
    My mom is 85 and loves DMB. About 10 years ago I took her and my son to a show.  Im pretty sure I had both the oldest and youngest person at the show.  My son was easier to manage. 
    lol, that is so cool.

My mom turns 85 next month. 10 years ago I used to take my son to all kinds of events and he was so easy to navigate around the City. My mom 10 years ago was easy to travel with, but not as easy as my son. I went to a bunch of concerts with both. Now, neither would be easy, but I am taking my son to 2 concerts in June. Should be interesting, he'll be high, I'm in recovery and he doesn't listen to me anymore. If I have to, I'll lose him, though I don't think he'd be able to find his way home. :rock_on:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    njnancy said:
    I see a lot of people adding a drummer.  I don't think that would be needed in a group like this.  Everyone should be strumming and jamming.

Most people are creating Super Groups - I know how the Traveling Wilburys worked and why it worked. I didn't think we were supposed to copy it.  Just choose from living musicians and put together a group of random musicians who might work and possibly create something special (or it could fail miserably). But it would be something different, like the Wilburys did.  

FWIW - My mother, who is in her 80's,  loved them when they came out and still loves them. She bought their CD. She is a huge James Taylor fan, I've even gone to see him with her twice, so I can see how they would appeal to her. I think it's cool.   
    There are not hard and fast rules in this one although I was thinking more specifically of a similar set up- 5 singer songwriters.  Many of my favorites are gone but there are hundreds, thousands even, young and old who write songs, play guitar and sing.

Here's an all women version:

Juliana Hatfield
    Emmylou Harris
    Bonnie Raitt
    Tracy Chapman
    Nancy Wilson

All sing, play guitar, write songs.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

There are not hard and fast rules in this one although I was thinking more specifically of a similar set up- 5 singer songwriters.  Many of my favorites are gone but there are hundreds, thousands even, young and old who write songs, play guitar and sing.

Juliana Hatfield
    Emmylou Harris
    Bonnie Raitt
    Tracy Chapman
    Nancy Wilson

Big Nancy Wilson fan. 

I was just making a band, but I can do singer songwriters, I got this! :plus_one:
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Wow. Okay, this could be tricky. 

Jason Isbell
    Sturgill Simpson
    Brian Fallon
    Jeff Tweedy
    Jack White

For the women:
    Kacey Musgraves
    Brandi Carlisle
    Margot Price
    Amanda Shires-Isbell
    Maren Morris

The women were much easier because I think excluding Musgraves (and maybe Morris?) the other ladies have joined forces (with Jason Isbell producing) to start recording as The Highwomen. Holy hell could that album be amazing. 
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Juliana Hatfield
    Emmylou Harris
    Bonnie Raitt
    Tracy Chapman
    Nancy Wilson

Big Nancy Wilson fan. 

I was just making a band, but I can do singer songwriters, I got this! :plus_one:
    Looking forward to what you come up with, Nancy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    If I were to choose all women I would just pick the first Lilith fair and pepper in Courtney Barnett and Taylor Swift.

I am still in awe of the Lilith fair performances.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited May 2019
    Natalie Merchant on vocals
    Dave Matthews on guitar
    Sober Billy Joel on piano

Acoustic tour,  heavy on the harmonies

mrussel1 said:
    Natalie Merchant on vocals
    Dave Matthews on guitar
    Sober Billy Joel on piano

Acoustic tour,  heavy on the harmonies

"Sober"- interesting first name, lol.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    edited May 2019

If I could put a band together today it would be ...

Chris Robinson

Rich Robinson

Steve Gorman

Sven Pipen

Marc Ford

Eddie H (RIP)

Maybe Call them the Black Crowes

Nice!  They might be good band! ;) .........great thread, by the way!
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

Here goes nothing...

James Taylor -  singer,songwriter, guitarist 
    Bruce Springsteen - singer/songwriter, guitarist
    Matt Nathanson - singer/songwriter, guitarist
    Marc Roberge - singer/songwriter, guitarist
    Jewel  - singer/songwriter, guitarist

njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Looks like something to me!  :smile:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Damien Rice
    Josh Ritter
    Erika Wennerstrom 
    Sam Beam
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Excellent call on Matt Nathanson. A criminally underrated songwriter. 
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Brian Fallon
    Jack White
    Josh Homme
    Raine Maida
    Ian Thornley

I think vocally there's a bit of diversity there and a good deal of guitar chops to go with it.
    I am wired and fading...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    goldrush said:
    In keeping with the multiple singer/guitarist folksy vibe of the Wilburys:

KT Tunstall - vocals, guitar
    Frazey Ford - vocals, guitar
    Natalie Maines - vocals, guitar
    Juliana Hatfield - vocals, bass
    Cindy Blackman - drums
    If we’re not including the drummers I’ll switch out Cindy Blackman with Norah Jones in my line up

KT Tunstall - vocals, guitar 
    Frazey Ford - vocals, guitar
    Natalie Maines - vocals, guitar
    Juliana Hatfield - vocals, bass 
    Norah Jones - vocals, piano
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Nathaniel Rateliff
    Chris Robinson
    Noel Gallagher
    Dave Matthews 
    Dave Grohl 
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Agree 100% on Nathanson's underrated status. He's funny as hell in concert, also. 
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Agree 100% on Nathanson's underrated status. He's funny as hell in concert, also. 
    Absolutely! Dude could easily be a stand up comedy talent. Got to meet him several times and he’s just a stand up dude. If I were going to go with a Willbury’s of pop singer songwriters strictly...

Matt Nathanson
    Kevin Griffin (Better Than Ezra)
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

There would be some catchy tunes out of a group like that. Yes, they’re pop singer songwriter ms, but they all nail the acoustic and folky stuff as well. 
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Absolutely! Dude could easily be a stand up comedy talent. Got to meet him several times and he’s just a stand up dude. If I were going to go with a Willbury’s of pop singer songwriters strictly...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

There would be some catchy tunes out of a group like that. Yes, they’re pop singer songwriter ms, but they all nail the acoustic and folky stuff as well. 
    Howie Day and John Mayer were both contestants for my list. :smile:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

That dude from Ezra is good.  Forgot about him.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

Jason Isbell
    Sturgill Simpson
    Brian Fallon
    Jeff Tweedy
    Jack White

For the women:
    Kacey Musgraves
    Brandi Carlisle
    Margot Price
    Amanda Shires-Isbell
    Maren Morris

The women were much easier because I think excluding Musgraves (and maybe Morris?) the other ladies have joined forces (with Jason Isbell producing) to start recording as The Highwomen. Holy hell could that album be amazing. 
    It’s Brandi, Shires, Maren Morris, and a rotating cast of other women supposedly including Sheryl Crowe, Miranda Lambert, Margo Price, and others.  I’m pretty excited to hear this drop. 
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

He is “good,” isn’t he? Had to do it. KG is the man. Incredible songwriter, funny dude, and all around good guy. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Jason Isbell
    Sturgill Simpson
    Brian Fallon
    Jeff Tweedy
    Jack White

For the women:
    Kacey Musgraves
    Brandi Carlisle
    Margot Price
    Amanda Shires-Isbell
    Maren Morris

It’s Brandi, Shires, Maren Morris, and a rotating cast of other women supposedly including Sheryl Crowe, Miranda Lambert, Margo Price, and others.  I’m pretty excited to hear this drop. 
    Yup. It should be great.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

He is “good,” isn’t he? Had to do it. KG is the man. Incredible songwriter, funny dude, and all around good guy. 
    lol, I walked into that one.
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

Reminds me of that old SNL News joke from that era..

"Number one on the album chart this week, Better Than Ezra.  Coming in at #2, Ezra.".  
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    Paul Weller - Vocals, Guitar
    Noel Gallagher - Vocals , Guitar
    Pino Palladino - Bass
    Zak Starkey - Drums

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

"Number one on the album chart this week, Better Than Ezra.  Coming in at #2, Ezra.".  
    In my head, I hear Kevin Nealon saying this. Is that correct?  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

I think it was Norm in that era.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Here goes nothing...

Matt Nathanson
    John Mayer
    Howie Day
    Jason Wade (Lifehouse)

I think it was Norm in that era.  
    Absolutely Norm. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2019
    Tori Amos - Vocals and piano/keyboard
    Pj Harvey - vocals and bass
    Tegan - vocals, guitar and keyboard
    Sara - vocals, guitar and keyboard
    Nina Persson - vocals and maraccas
    Dave Abbruzzese - drums
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"