The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    ^interesting....I've only come across one in a store last summer, but I cannot recall which one it was. I feel like it was a barleywine and those have zero appeal to me, so I took an easy pass on it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    ^interesting....I've only come across one in a store last summer, but I cannot recall which one it was. I feel like it was a barleywine and those have zero appeal to me, so I took an easy pass on it.
    I've been a fan and have collected the bottles, gift sets, etc., so I have em all, lol.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I've been a fan and have collected the bottles, gift sets, etc., so I have em all, lol.
    But do you have all 8 of the scotches plus the White Walker?
    I didn't bother with that.  I had enough of a hard time acquiring the beers, lol.
    I didn't bother with that.  I had enough of a hard time acquiring the beers, lol.
    Quitter! :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Quitter! :lol:
    Never even started!

not my image
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    #FHP
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

#FHP
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited May 2019
    ^
    Poignant time for a Dogfish Head beer post. Yuge deal.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    ^

Crazy deal.  I can't believe Boston Beer Co is worth over $300 per share!  Apparently all of Sam Adams beers are struggling, but it's their other stuff like Truly/Hard iced tea and all that other crap that is keeping them going.  Prob a good move to merge with Dogfish Head...
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^

Crazy deal.  I can't believe Boston Beer Co is worth over $300 per share!  Apparently all of Sam Adams beers are struggling, but it's their other stuff like Truly/Hard iced tea and all that other crap that is keeping them going.  Prob a good move to merge with Dogfish Head...
    They acquired Dogfish Head? If so, I wonder if that will affect quality. I’ve always enjoyed Dogfish Head. Their 60 minute was a staple in my early IPA days. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^

They acquired Dogfish Head? If so, I wonder if that will affect quality. I’ve always enjoyed Dogfish Head. Their 60 minute was a staple in my early IPA days. 
    Yeah not sure the exact details but I keep seeing "merger" being used.  Dogfish Head is solid but I've always thought Sam Adams was garbage.  Will be interesting to see what happens with these 2 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    bbiggs said:
    ^

Yeah not sure the exact details but I keep seeing "merger" being used.  Dogfish Head is solid but I've always thought Sam Adams was garbage.  Will be interesting to see what happens with these 2 
    Really hoping this will just help with distribution and keep the cost of their beer lower and not have much of an effect on quality. Dogfish always gets crafty in addition to their staples...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    bbiggs said:
    ^

Goose Island used to be really good....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:
    ^

It’s pretty nasty now. I hope Sam Adams doesn’t f up dogfish. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^

Yeah Goose Island was the first thing I thought of. At least Sam Adams isn't Anheuser-Busch though. THAT would've been way worse, IMO.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    bbiggs said:
    ^

I think Sam Adams is garbage too. Although their Sam ‘76 is a tasty summer beer, but overall they could really screw up a good product in Dogfish Head (hopefully not).
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^

Yeah Goose Island was the first thing I thought of. At least Sam Adams isn't Anheuser-Busch though. THAT would've been way worse, IMO.
    Very very true. I haven’t drank it in awhile but any quality drop off with ballast point?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^

Very very true. I haven’t drank it in awhile but any quality drop off with ballast point?
    Ballast Point is still good.

The problem w Sam Adams is they aren't putting out 10 new beers every week.  The new beer drinker wants to keep chasing the new shit which is tiresome.  I gave up trying them all and to be the first to have this or that.  I did that a while when only a few of us were but when everyone else is doing it it's just not that fun anymore. That was over 10 years ago.

When a 21 yo starts telling you about beers and have you tried this or that and thinks you're a newb for not having tried said beers it will only get worse and implode...

Sam Adams does put out quality beers but it is too big to be chic and too small to be a Budweiser.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^

The problem w Sam Adams is they aren't putting out 10 new beers every week.  The new beer drinker wants to keep chasing the new shit which is tiresome.  I gave up trying them all and to be the first to have this or that.  I did that a while when only a few of us were but when everyone else is doing it it's just not that fun anymore. That was over 10 years ago.

When a 21 yo starts telling you about beers and have you tried this or that and thinks you're a newb for not having tried said beers it will only get worse and implode...

Sam Adams does put out quality beers but it is too big to be chic and too small to be a Budweiser.

My problem with Sam Adams is that the beer just doesn't taste that good.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^

My problem with Sam Adams is that the beer just doesn't taste that good.
    Rebel, Utopias and the "Specialty" line are good.  They have been experimenting with some things and I like that.
    Yeah I like the Rebel

Actually the Summer Ale, waaay back in the day, may have been my first foray into "craft" beers. This was like 15 years ago. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah I like the Rebel

Actually the Summer Ale, waaay back in the day, may have been my first foray into "craft" beers. This was like 15 years ago. 
    I still like the Summer beer.  Tasty.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Sam New England IPA is very good.

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Yeah I like the Rebel

I still like the Summer beer.  Tasty.
    Summer and ‘76. Those two win. The rest I’m okay without. 
    Oh...and porch rocker. Basically like Leinies summer shandy. So I essentially like only Sam Adams summer, lighter, backyard bbq type beers. Lol 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I used to drink Sam back when it first was distributed out of Boston but not in 30 years or more. Way too many superior options.
    bbiggs said:
    Oh...and porch rocker. Basically like Leinies summer shandy. So I essentially like only Sam Adams summer, lighter, backyard bbq type beers. Lol 
    Cold Snap's okay-ish too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I used to drink Sam back when it first was distributed out of Boston but not in 30 years or more. Way too many superior options.
    This I agree with.