Options

Alex Trebek diagnosed with cancer...

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    edited April 2019
    pjhawks said:
    hedonist said:
    I don't think he's a douche at all.  He's smart and bold, with a great mix of chance and calculation.  I hope this does put some extra zing in Alex's step!

(I also love James' plan to travel around the world with his wife and stay a month in each location - oh, to have $700K.)
    i would say putting happy birthday to a different person every day is douche-behavior. yea like everyone he knows has had a birthday in the week or so the show was taping.  and betting odd numbers based on said birthday's and such...douche-like behavior in my opinion.  i've never liked people putting messages in the final jeopardy answer screen. it's not the purpose of the darn screen.  they should be docked points for putting anything other than their actual answer.  that's just my opinion.  he is great though.
    This seems like more of a you problem than a him problem.

Get off pjhawks lawn.
    so you think maybe every person this guy knows birthday just happened to be during the week(s) his shows were taping?  wishing someone happy birthday months is advance..douche.

PS: No clue when your's is but Happy Birthday Cliffy
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    hedonist said:
    I don't think he's a douche at all.  He's smart and bold, with a great mix of chance and calculation.  I hope this does put some extra zing in Alex's step!

(I also love James' plan to travel around the world with his wife and stay a month in each location - oh, to have $700K.)
    i would say putting happy birthday to a different person every day is douche-behavior. yea like everyone he knows has had a birthday in the week or so the show was taping.  and betting odd numbers based on said birthday's and such...douche-like behavior in my opinion.  i've never liked people putting messages in the final jeopardy answer screen. it's not the purpose of the darn screen.  they should be docked points for putting anything other than their actual answer.  that's just my opinion.  he is great though.

Get off pjhawks lawn.
    so you think maybe every person this guy knows birthday just happened to be during the week(s) his shows were taping?  wishing someone happy birthday months is advance..douche.

haha, I don't have an opinion, but it seems like good clean fun to me.  Baseball season which means I don't watch much jeopardy.  

Thank you, good sir.  Memorial day weekend. I appreciate this in advance and in no way are you a douche.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Agree.

I support this message:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    edited April 2019
    Did anyone else see him sing Betterman the other day? Pearl Jam was a clue. :)
    Not Trebek...the genius.
    Post edited by covered in bliss on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Just a mere $74K tonight.  He is losing his fastball.
  • Options
    Did anyone else see him sing Betterman the other day? Pearl Jam was a clue. :)
    Not Trebek...the genius.
      ... he sings about as good as I do
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    17 wins and $1.275M ... he had an off day with no daily double in the second round and still $50K
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

That dude in the middle missing a fairly easy daily double in first round (of course its caviar when its "roe" you idiot) cost him a legit shot to at least make James have to fend off a challenge in Final Jeopardy.

Still waiting for Trebek to call me to get on the show, passed the test over 15 years ago, bastard never called.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The Night King James now has the entire top 10 highest scores in Jeopardy history in 20 tries ...
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Alex Trebek shares positive, ‘mind-boggling’ cancer update

https://trib.al/4Xhdm4G?fbclid=IwAR2QocXNRt2-m-m_1F8-Uo4Vv2OsntMgoYgHv_gdlNnc4UiftNTFKlHuiDo

Fuck Cancer...

This is very good, positive news...hopefully he beats these long odds and it sounds like he is winning...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Awesome.  Go, Alex!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Good for rich people.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Good for rich people.
    If that was the case Steve Jobs and Paul Allen would still be walking around

anywho it is great news. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2019
    Jason P said:
    dankind said:
    Good for rich people.

anywho it is great news. 
    California boy Steve Jobs absolutely used his wealth and influence to get a liver faster in Tennessee. 

And in hindsight, that liver may have been better off with someone else. Of course, docs had no way of knowing that it would only prolong his life by two years (and change), but still....

Anyway, yeah, good for Trebek. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Jason P said:
    dankind said:
    Good for rich people.

anywho it is great news. 
    California boy Steve Jobs absolutely used his wealth and influence to get a liver faster in Tennessee. 

And in hindsight, that liver may have been better off with someone else. Of course, docs had no way of knowing that it would only prolong his life by two years (and change), but still....

Anyway, yeah, good for Trebek. 
    So much I want to say about self-contribution to one's transplant status...and this hits close to home in many ways (David Crosby comes to mind as well).  In the end it really makes me think, so much for legit waiting lists.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    hedonist said:

Get off pjhawks lawn.

I think you are coming off like a complete curmudgeon. There is nothing douchey about that behaviour.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    hedonist said:

Get off pjhawks lawn.

I think you are coming off like a complete curmudgeon. There is nothing douchey about that behaviour.
    Wobbie takes it personally when people try to steal his title of 10C Curmudgeon
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    James only a few wins away from breaking the all time total money record ... he is averaging more than the old daily money record for each of his wins. 

I think he is a robot. 

Its gotton to the point that I have to watch the show before going on the internet because there are headlines after each of his wins. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Jason P said:
    James only a few wins away from breaking the all time total money record ... he is averaging more than the old daily money record for each of his wins. 

I think he is a robot. 

Its gotton to the point that I have to watch the show before going on the internet because there are headlines after each of his wins. 
    Same here. I'm transfixed. The really surprising part is that he is like a robot, but also really has a strong personality - more so than most Jeopardy contestants in general, and more and more as he gets more and more used to his surroundings. It's almost unsettling, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Do you think they've discussed just how far they'll go with this?  As in, just keep playing and winning until he doesn't, or put a $3M cap on the winnings, or an end timeline or something...?

I feel so bad for some of his competitors.  I think one guy just shook his head and laughed.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    hedonist said:
    Do you think they've discussed just how far they'll go with this?  As in, just keep playing and winning until he doesn't, or put a $3M cap on the winnings, or an end timeline or something...?

I feel so bad for some of his competitors.  I think one guy just shook his head and laughed.
    I don't think there are any caps. They are obligated to keep going until he loses. That's the rules of the game. Ken Jennings won 74 games before losing!! This guy only has 30 or so under his belt. I'm sure he is trying to beat Jennings' record and keep going.
    I read an article about the other competitors a little while ago. At this point that are aware of what they're facing when they get there, but they film these shows way in advance, so for most of the time James has been winning, the competitors only realize what they're up against when they're literally standing there in the studio hearing Alex talk about how much the guy has won, lol. And then it starts sinking in immediately that they have almost no chance of winning, before they even walk on set. And now I think the contestants know what they're facing when they find out they are accepted on the show, so no surprises anymore. When it will get really good is when the competitors are actually trying out for the show specifically because they think they can beat Mr. Computer Brain. I don't think they've reached that point yet - the players are still those who applied before James started winning - but when they do, we'll see more really serious geniuses compete against him. It's hard to imagine anyone beating him at this point though... I personally think he'll simply lose on a bad wager, not because someone knows more than him. He is a gambler at heart, and I think he'll just risk more than he should have one of these days, while someone else makes a brave wager as well, and that will be his downfall, as it is for all gamblers. The great thing for him this time is that he can't wager what he's already won from previous episodes, lol. I'm sure that if he could, he would.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:

I don't think there are any caps. They are obligated to keep going until he loses. That's the rules of the game. Ken Jennings won 74 games before losing!! This guy only has 30 or so under his belt. I'm sure he is trying to beat Jennings' record and keep going.
    I read an article about the other competitors a little while ago. At this point that are aware of what they're facing when they get there, but they film these shows way in advance, so for most of the time James has been winning, the competitors only realize what they're up against when they're literally standing there in the studio hearing Alex talk about how much the guy has won, lol. And then it starts sinking in immediately that they have almost no chance of winning, before they even walk on set. And now I think the contestants know what they're facing when they find out they are accepted on the show, so no surprises anymore. When it will get really good is when the competitors are actually trying out for the show specifically because they think they can beat Mr. Computer Brain. I don't think they've reached that point yet - the players are still those who applied before James started winning - but when they do, we'll see more really serious geniuses compete against him. It's hard to imagine anyone beating him at this point though... I personally think he'll simply lose on a bad wager, not because someone knows more than him. He is a gambler at heart, and I think he'll just risk more than he should have one of these days, while someone else makes a brave wager as well, and that will be his downfall, as it is for all gamblers. The great thing for him this time is that he can't wager what he's already won from previous episodes, lol. I'm sure that if he could, he would.
    If that's the case (no caps), I completely agree with the bolded part.
  • Options
    There was one guy about 7 shows back that could have beaten him ... He was ahead going into the second round, got the first daily double, but only wagered 6000 / 12000 .... he ended up going into final jeopardy down 3000 ... if he would have done a true daily double he would have won.  He was playing aggressive as he must have been analyzing James strategy while waiting to go on but still couldn't pull the trigger on a true daily double when given the chance.
  • Options
    I don’t think you can call anything a bad wager because the strategy has gotten him this far but he will run into a daily double or final jeopardy that bites him in the ass eventually 
  • Options
    Fucking jerk off spoilers on the internet. People are dicks 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    Fucking jerk off spoilers on the internet. People are dicks 
    Worse than people are the news sites. I saw it on yahoo this afternoon. Fuckers. And the woman who won is originally from philly area and went to conestoga high school
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Wanna spoil.
  • Options
    Deadspin may be dead to me.  No longer funny and then spoiler headlines at noon.  They couldn't wait to get that news out there and they are smug in their decision to do so in a so, so sad way.

Despite all that, it was a good run. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It was..... but I am kind of convinced he threw the game. What was with wagering almost nothing in final jeopardy? Makes no sense unless he decided not to try. If she had gotten it wrong or didn't wager basically everything, he would have won, so that he wagered next to nothing says he bailed IMO. I have seen the opposing arguments based on math, but they don't make much sense to me in practice.
    And why would he throw the game (literally right before beating the all-time record)? Who knows. Likely just for personal reasons.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It was..... but I am kind of convinced he threw the game. What was with wagering almost nothing in final jeopardy? Makes no sense unless he decided not to try. If she had gotten it wrong or didn't wager basically everything, he would have won, so that he wagered next to nothing says he bailed IMO. I have seen the opposing arguments based on math, but they don't make much sense to me in practice.
    And why would he throw the game (literally right before beating the all-time record)? Who knows. Likely just for personal reasons.
    Makes complete sense. He couldn’t out bet her and even if he wagered it all, she still wins, so the bet is going small and assuming she gets it wrong