Alex Trebek diagnosed with cancer...

Sad news that Alex Trebek was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  The announcement's on Jeopardy's youtube channel.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5028385/jeopardy-alex-trebek-pancreatic/
"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    not long for this world.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Wobbie said:
    not long for this world.
    Unfortunately, likely not.  This cancer took my uncle/godfather a couple years ago, fortunately he had good treatment and lived for another year after his diagnosis, hopefully Trebek will have the same or more.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    no cancer is good (I know) but this is one of, if not the, worst.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Just horrible.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    .....bummer news!!! FUCK cancer!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I was never a fan ...until today.  Fight on , Alex!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    #FuckCancer
    Super sad to hear. I'm sure he'll fight the good fight, and wish him the best. That is a brutal diagnosis / prognosis to be facing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Sad news. 

Pain in your back that comes around to your abdomen is a sign not to ignore. 

My sister died within 3 months of diagnosis. It sucks.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I was just talking with my Dad who seen this on the evening news and apparently Alex said something along the lines of, “I have to beat this. I have three years left on my contract.” Setting a good example for sure. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Oh no. There is no way he's going to last very long with that. How sad. He's a bit of a Canadian icon. I think he's been struggling with this for a while - I remember reading he had cancer quite some time ago, although it wasn't as serious as it is now, and that was linked to word that he was going to retire. I assume they were waiting until it got really bad to make a formal announcement.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Didn't he have cancer prior to this or am I imagining that?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That sucks.  The best game show on TV.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    His last medical issue was brain surgery which is when the talk of him retiring happened. Unrelated to this 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Damn.  Jeopardy was one of the last things my Mom's brain could still take in at 85 and almost gone.  I love the guy for that. 
    Best wishes, Alex.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Jeopardy was, is and always will be my favorite game show. Alex has always been a great host and overall person. I grew up watching that everyday. It was always fun to play along and see how high I could score. I hope he finds some peace and comfort through all of this. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Cancer sucks.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Awful.

I do hope that he beats it.

I'll be rooting for him.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    Damn.  Jeopardy was one of the last things my Mom's brain could still take in at 85 and almost gone.  I love the guy for that. 
    Best wishes, Alex.
    My mom is just a year younger than yours. You are a lucky man to have her in your life for so long 

My mom watches Jeopardy religiously also. I love the show but I am way too competitive. My mom can't hear and I'm yelling out answers before she can read the CC :lol:

Siblings - 41 and 54; Dad - 67. Maybe I have hope with Mom's genes.   My sister had a stroke, on her birthday, and then another stroke within a month. Didn't find out she had cancer till she was in ICU about a month later. Don't know how long she or her husband knew about it. 

He could have years left, be one of the lucky ones that beat it...his attitude is good. Pancreatic cancer is a bitch though. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited March 2019
    Alex came through our town a few years go to ride the Scenic railroad train and record clues for the show.  I was obviosuly not in attendance but from what I gathered from the folks in local government that I know is that he was genuinely passionate in doing his research and studying the history of the Western Maryland Railway and was extremely excited to cross "driving a steam engine" off his bucket list.

I can't say it any better than tbergs so I'll echo the sentiment. Jeopardy is, was, and always will be my favorite game show.  In the span of my lifetime so far, there is no other show that I've watched more.  When I was a kid it was a family ritual.  I even remember the first time I got a Final Jeopardy clue correct that my dad did not.  I was in 7th grade and the clue alluded to which Beatle was the first to have a #1 song as a solo artist. (Who is George Harrison?)

Pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate as we all know, and that he's a stage 4 patient does not bode well.  It is treatable and one can live with it for longer than expected but it's a son of a bitch for certain.  A friend of mine was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer about 4 years ago. He is still living but his health has deteriorated to a point that he basically has no immune system and often cannot hold any type of diet down. Here is to hoping that Alex has the best care and is able to survive as long as my friend has.

Alex Trebek boarding the engine of Western Maryland Scenic Railroad #734, "Mountain Thunder," in May 2011.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    brianlux said:
    Best wishes, Alex.
    old moms loves jeopardy  !
    my mom's 84 now and still watches it every single day.
    crushing news for so many fans and alex's inner circle of course. i fucking hate cancer so much.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Alex came through our town a few years go to ride the Scenic railroad train and record clues for the show.  I was obviosuly not in attendance but from what I gathered from the folks in local government that I know is that he was genuinely passionate in doing his research and studying the history of the Western Maryland Railway and was extremely excited to cross "driving a steam engine" off his bucket list.

I can't say it any better than tbergs so I'll echo the sentiment. Jeopardy is, was, and always will be my favorite game show.  In the span of my lifetime so far, there is no other show that I've watched more.  When I was a kid it was a family ritual.  I even remember the first time I got a Final Jeopardy clue correct that my dad did not.  I was in 7th grade and the clue alluded to which Beatle was the first to have a #1 song as a solo artist. (Who is George Harrison?)

Pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate as we all know, and that he's a stage 4 patient does not bode well.  It is treatable and one can live with it for longer than expected but it's a son of a bitch for certain.  A friend of mine was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer about 4 years ago. He is still living but his health has deteriorated to a point that he basically has no immune system and often cannot hold any type of diet down. Here is to hoping that Alex has the best care and is able to survive as long as my friend has.

Alex Trebek boarding the engine of Western Maryland Scenic Railroad #734, "Mountain Thunder," in May 2011.
    I had a buddy that is an engineer for the trains that run through Maryland.  He loved the trips during the fall.  I wonder if he was around when that happened (Alex visiting)?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I think the producers of Jeopardy had this James guy in cryogenic freezing in a "in case of emergency break" glass case to pep up Alex in a situation like this.  Dude just won $131K today (41 R 0 W) and has a 10 day total of $698K.  I think the only way he loses is if one of his opponents pulls a Tonya Harding and tries to baton his wrists so he can't push his buzzer. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Jason P said:
    I think the producers of Jeopardy had this James guy in cryogenic freezing in a "in case of emergency break" glass case to pep up Alex in a situation like this.  Dude just won $131K today (41 R 0 W) and has a 10 day total of $698K.  I think the only way he loses is if one of his opponents pulls a Tonya Harding and tries to baton his wrists so he can't push his buzzer. 
    I think James is kind of a douche but he is the best Jeopardy player i've even seen. he is amazing.  I do like that he basically bets it all whenever he gets a daily double.  the only way i seen him losing is he misses a large bet on a daily double in double jeopardy and someone is close enough to beat him in final jeopardy. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This new guy who is raking up the money can't smile. Like ... seriously. Wtf?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    edited April 2019
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:
    I think James is kind of a douche but he is the best Jeopardy player i've even seen. he is amazing.  I do like that he basically bets it all whenever he gets a daily double.  the only way i seen him losing is he misses a large bet on a daily double in double jeopardy and someone is close enough to beat him in final jeopardy. 
    His come-uppance will definitely be on a daily double when he has 38K, 2nd place has 5K and he bets 36,669.00 and gaffes, then someone edges him out.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    It’s not going to be a gaffe that gets him.  He is a sports gambler by trade and knows numbers better than his opponents. Someone will need to straight out match and beat his wit. I thought I read that he has only answered incorrect 13 times in 10 days. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don't think he's a douche at all.  He's smart and bold, with a great mix of chance and calculation.  I hope this does put some extra zing in Alex's step!

(I also love James' plan to travel around the world with his wife and stay a month in each location - oh, to have $700K.)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    hedonist said:
    I don't think he's a douche at all.  He's smart and bold, with a great mix of chance and calculation.  I hope this does put some extra zing in Alex's step!

(I also love James' plan to travel around the world with his wife and stay a month in each location - oh, to have $700K.)
    i would say putting happy birthday to a different person every day is douche-behavior. yea like everyone he knows has had a birthday in the week or so the show was taping.  and betting odd numbers based on said birthday's and such...douche-like behavior in my opinion.  i've never liked people putting messages in the final jeopardy answer screen. it's not the purpose of the darn screen.  they should be docked points for putting anything other than their actual answer.  that's just my opinion.  he is great though.
    pjhawks said:
    hedonist said:

i would say putting happy birthday to a different person every day is douche-behavior. yea like everyone he knows has had a birthday in the week or so the show was taping.  and betting odd numbers based on said birthday's and such...douche-like behavior in my opinion.  i've never liked people putting messages in the final jeopardy answer screen. it's not the purpose of the darn screen.  they should be docked points for putting anything other than their actual answer.  that's just my opinion.  he is great though.
    This seems like more of a you problem than a him problem.

Get off pjhawks lawn.