A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Not good for Dany as she lost 99% of her army.  Overall, Cersie is the one flying the "W" flag after that episode.

* Had Arya in my dead pool for taking out the night king as bonus points.
    * Had Theon as a wildcard to survive the season ... figured one Greyjoy will make it and I chose the wrong poorly 
    * Not sure what happened with Gendry ...
    * Not sure if there is only one or two dragons left

I'm curious if HBO Now or Go stream has better high definition than the main HBO feed.  I know most cable and satellite companies don't hardly broadcast anything in 1080p because bandwidth cost money and I'm pretty sure that what I watched wasn't 1080p (which is why 4K and 8K are mainly false tech unless you have a computer or gaming console that can take advantage, but 99% of what you watch doesn't come close to it)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    The fact that Arya was the fucking badass saved the episode . If not for that it would go down as a "worst" (least liked) episode in recent memory.  
    So frustrating 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I thought the build up to the war at the start of the episode was fantastic. Left me on edge unsure as to when and how it would actually begin.

That said, I tired of the "fight scene" after awhile. About the last 20 minutes of it found me just ready to move on. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I was waiting for the night king to bend the knee to Bran ... but is that all we learn of the army of the dead???   What was up with the crows?  Is Bran a mole?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    They have so much to wrap up, but I have similar questions 
    Beric was badass 
    Thank you for not showing us naked red ,OLD woman, this time.
    Hound turns wimp for a bit?
    The Walker's that face Jon and Dany/Jorah are slow as fuck vs. the Walker's that charged the castle?
    They wasted the Dothraki when they could have been at the walls?
    Tyrion didn't seem to have a dragon glass weapon?
    It is ok.  At the end, I liked it....but such a tough task to wind things up...
    Sorry, but one more ...
    Do we have any explanation for that crazy haze/fog?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Not sure what to make of that episode, to be honest 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,397
    It followed the GOT formula of blurry night battle scenes... I think the surprise was the amount of main characters who DIDN’T die. It was enjoyable, and I certainly didn’t expect the ending, but as far as how it fits into the overall series, I’ll need more time to digest. 

The Battle of the Bastards was a much better episode, at least visually / cinematically. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Standard fantasy fare, tired war cliches, melodramatic deaths, too much slow motion including a scene between the knight king and bran that left me shouting at the screen "somebody do something"
    Worst episode of the series.
    This is not the groundbreaking fantasy of the first four books.
    Jon snow stared down an ice dragon for 2 minutes only to be spared in the nick of time.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    It's going to take a long time to clean Winterfell up and restore it. A whole lot of bodies to get rid of.

I was very surprised at the lack of main character fatalities. In a way, I kind of felt that it was a let down.

@fmeinthebrain - I think the hazy fog thing was just meant to resemble a blizzard. Something that brought Daenerys and Jon into the Night Kings comfort zone, and removed them from theirs.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Holy Shit that was intense.
    I believe Jon's dragon is gone.
    Nice last stand for Jorah as well as Lyanna Mormont

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I also liked the prophetic quote from Melisandre that Arya would kill some with brown, green and blue eyes.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Malroth said:
    Standard fantasy fare, tired war cliches, melodramatic deaths, too much slow motion including a scene between the knight king and bran that left me shouting at the screen "somebody do something"
    Jon snow stared down an ice dragon for 2 minutes only to be spared in the nick of time.

I can't speak for the books, but I do agree this stopped being a groundbreaking masterpiece at least a couple of seasons ago. It's still IMO one of the best shows on television, but it isn't what it once was.

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Sorry, but one more ...
    Do we have any explanation for that crazy haze/fog?
    Night king has used the fog in episodes before. The Hardhome episode in Season 5 probably the best example.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Holy Shit that was intense.
    I believe Jon's dragon is gone.
    Nice last stand for Jorah as well as Lyanna Mormont

In the trailer for next week’s episode you see 2 dragons in the sky, so it looks like they both made it
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Malroth said:

Not anywhere close to the worst.  The first 3 books were very good.  The 4th and 5th were a big step backwards with a few good elements sprinkled in them. 
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    I thought the episode was pretty badass.  Of course there were parts where it was difficult to suspend my disbelief, but in the end the only thing that bothered me was that apparently the people in the crypt weren't armed.  Maybe they didn't have enough dragon glass to go around? 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Loved it. Was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Arya has been my favorite from the start.

The Hound also wigged out at the battle of Blackwater Bay.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    Loved it. Was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Arya has been my favorite from the start.

The Hound also wigged out at the battle of Blackwater Bay.
    And when they went beyond the wall last season.
    edited April 2019
    I thought the episode was pretty badass.  Of course there were parts where it was difficult to suspend my disbelief, but in the end the only thing that bothered me was that apparently the people in the crypt weren't armed.  Maybe they didn't have enough dragon glass to go around? 
    The suspension of disbelief that’s hardest for me is for the survival of Khaleesi, Jon Snow or anyone else in the courtyard when the Night King raised the dead again. The sheer number of wights should have swarmed them within seconds. 
    The suspension of disbelief that’s hardest for me is for the survival of Khaleesi, Jon Snow or anyone else in the courtyard when the Night King raised the dead again. The sheer number of wights should have swarmed them within seconds. 
    the plot armor is probably the only thing that really disappointed me. 

Not unlike when the dream team went north of the wall last season & only Thoros croaked.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I also liked the prophetic quote from Melisandre that Arya would kill some with brown, green and blue eyes.
    What's really crazy is that Melisandre said that same thing to Arya in season 3.  I love that shit. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/29/18522003/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-melisandre-arya-night-king-azor-ahai
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    My wife, re:Jorah, after he was stabbed 17 times.
    "Maybe he will live....?'

:sleepy:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Kinda messed up but my only disappointment came from lack of major character deaths.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    DewieCox said:
    Kinda messed up but my only disappointment came from lack of major character deaths.
    There is another war coming, have faith.

So the dead did rise in the crypt!  Who was lost there?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Didn't hate it, but didn't love it.  I thought there was something wrong with my TV at first....way too dark.  Not that you need main characters to constantly be killed off for the show to be good, but the fact that so many main characters survived the battle is juuuuust a bit of a stretch.  Lyanna Marmont going out like a badass!  
    DewieCox said:

I thought that was just the dead tunneling into the crypt, I did not think that was Ned-with-no-head and Lyanna....
    DewieCox said:

I thought that was just the dead tunneling into the crypt, I did not think that was Ned-with-no-head and Lyanna....

That was definitely the dead Starks being raised.

I thought I saw Maester Leuwin (sp?) come out of a grave, but that wouldn't make sense either, his body should have been long gone before the Starks could have buried him.... I'm hard pressed to see the Boltons giving his remains a proper burial in the crypts.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    DewieCox said:

That's what I thought...we needed a character to exclaim "holy shit the dead are rising from the crypts!" so that we all understood.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville