A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I saw a theory that Arya is the Waif and is sent by the House of Black and White to kill a major character.

It makes some sense with how insanely skilled Arya was, and the savage stabbing she took (including a big twist of the knife) and apparent rapid recovery.

I dont think that will happen tho.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Why would the waif bother wiping out house Frey?  
    Jason P said:
    good point. i guess she wouldnt
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Next week should be interesting for Jaime in Winterfell. He gets to confront both Bran and probably Daenerys as well.
    I'm certain Jaime will live, at least for a little while longer, but I the main result of him being in Winterfell is going to be one who stirs the pot.
    Dany is going to want to kill him (see preview for next Sunday) and Tyrion is going to try to talk her out of it.  She'll call him a traitor...drama.
    I'm sure Jon will be around telling her "We need as many swords as necessary" and Dany will be like "I am your queen, you bent the knee to me!"...drama.
    The only unknown IMO is Bran.  I'm sure he'll mention Jaime pushing him out of the window, but I'm not sure how much other detail will come from it.  Bran could easily say "Yeah, I saw what happened with the Mad King, he was going to burn everyone and Jaime saved the lives of thousands....
    So, I think Tyrion, Jon and Bran will ultimately support Jaime.  Dany is going to be left on her own.  I think this is going to occur more and more and not only will she not feel welcome in the north, but i think she's going to start making terrible and hasty decisions.  
    What do you all think is going to happen with the Ice Dragon?
    Part of me thinks when this thing shows up to battle, Dany may be reluctant to send her two dragons in to battle.  The Knight King easy took down her dragon before and now they have to fight their icy dragon brother?  My gut tells me she's going to protect her dragons more than she will protect Winterfell.  And the north has no means to stop the Ice Dragon without the use of their own.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:
    Why would Cersei hire the one guy she doesn’t trust who is also friends with the two guys she wants to murder, especially when Tyrion will double the price?  Especially when Bronn knows the dragons have the ultimate advantage in a war?
    Not to mention he is her ex in real life, I wouldn't trust him at all.
    I did read a while ago that the actors who used to roll around together in real life cannot even be in the same room and be civil enough to act at this point.  This would explain why Cersei wanted to make him the offer but it was her toadie re-animator Hand who did the bargaining.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Jason P said:
    Wouldn't the waif need to do things that Arya would have done to be convincing in her deception? Arya eliminating house Frey would be high on her list, so it makes sense for the waif just go ahead and do it.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:
    Why would Cersei hire the one guy she doesn’t trust who is also friends with the two guys she wants to murder, especially when Tyrion will double the price?  Especially when Bronn knows the dragons have the ultimate advantage in a war?
    I did read a while ago that the actors who used to roll around together in real life cannot even be in the same room and be civil enough to act at this point.  This would explain why Cersei wanted to make him the offer but it was her toadie re-animator Hand who did the bargaining.
    Also why Bran was not at the meeting with Dany, Cersi and Jon last season. He was written out of it for that reason, or so I've read.
    Jason P said:
    Wouldn't the waif need to do things that Arya would have done to be convincing in her deception? Arya eliminating house Frey would be high on her list, so it makes sense for the waif just go ahead and do it.
    They are real funny on who they kill though, in a Final Destination kind of way.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:
    Yeah and why Bronn had to leave that big meeting in the dragon pit in last year's finale before Cersei arrived.  That's pretty crazy.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    mca47 said:
    Part of me thinks when this thing shows up to battle, Dany may be reluctant to send her two dragons in to battle.  The Knight King easy took down her dragon before and now they have to fight their icy dragon brother?  My gut tells me she's going to protect her dragons more than she will protect Winterfell.  And the north has no means to stop the Ice Dragon without the use of their own.  

I don't know...I feel like once Dany see this ice dragon killing the unsullied and dothraki, she'll have no choice but to take out the ice dragon.  Episode 3 is going to be awesome....pretty sure that is the battle of winterfell that took them like 3 months to film.  
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:
    Yeah and why Bronn had to leave that big meeting in the dragon pit in last year's finale before Cersei arrived.  That's pretty crazy.
    I knew they had a past and hated eachother but I didn't know that's why he left.  That's nuts
    Jason P said:
    How would the Waif know her kill list and the intricate details of the Starks and what happened at the Red Wedding?  It don't recall the Waif and Arya ever getting in to detailed and personal convo. 
    I believe Arya is Arya.
    mca47 said:

I don't know...I feel like once Dany see this ice dragon killing the unsullied and dothraki, she'll have no choice but to take out the ice dragon.  Episode 3 is going to be awesome....pretty sure that is the battle of winterfell that took them like 3 months to film.  
    I think she will eventually have her dragons involved but not before thousands die.

At what point do you think Dany finds out about Jon's lineage?  Does Jon tell her or does he hold off until after the war?  I don't think Jon gives a crap about the throne or any title, but I can see her losing her shit over it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mca47 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Jason P said:
    I knew they had a past and hated eachother but I didn't know that's why he left.  That's nuts
    Hard saying, not knowing....but it seems ridiculously petty.
    Again, one (or both of them) could have done awful things to one another, extended friends, family, etc...and perhaps there is just nothing to bridge things.  (Although money and a show where other people are all acting would seem to be enough.)  Curious...but since I like both of them perhaps it is better not to know.  :lol:     

Jason P said:
    I  don't think anyone knows what Arya has done and she isn't bragging about it.  She left one survivor at the Freys, but any first respondents would think the girl was lying or nuts.  If the waif wanted to be deceptive, she would come back as a clumsy little girl who wants to be a knight someday versus cutting throats in the main hall of Winterfell like a trained assassin in my opinion.  Plus, using faces make you look and sound like your prior victim but it doesn't give you their memories. 
    edited April 2019
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:
    How would the Waif know her kill list and the intricate details of the Starks and what happened at the Red Wedding?  It don't recall the Waif and Arya ever getting in to detailed and personal convo. 
    I believe Arya is Arya.
    In the books, when Arya put on one of the masks she experienced thoughts and feelings of the person she was portraying. It would stand to reason that the waif would experience the same thing if she put on an Arya mask. Also, in the show, I don't remember which episode exactly, the waif asks who she wants to kill. Arya does respond with Cersei, Gregor, and Walder Frey. Waif then kind of mocks her saying that's a short list and Arya probably failed one of their tests by lying and omitting names.

I'm not so sure I believe this theory though. However, it does seem to be one of the more logically sound theories I've read.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    My wife had a fun theory about Arya. As much as we both want to see Jamie kill Cersei and complete his redemption arc (could he be Azor Ahai?), what if Jamie is killed in the North, either executed or in battle, and Arya takes his face?
    We could then see 'Jamie' travel back to King's Landing and kill Cersei, and just as she's about to die Arya rips the face off - Boom! You got killed by a Stark!

Also, Gendry (a Baratheon) and Arya, (a Stark) would make a great power couple. He could be King, she'd be his Queen/Faceless Man/Ninja Assassin
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    get a lifes.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    get a lifes.
    all men must die
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    How could the Waif be Arya when the Waif's face is on the wall in the House of black and white?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    What if the face on the wall isn't the waifs original face? They have, after all, been training to pose as someone else.

I just can't get on board with it because of the direwolves. Once returning back to Westeros, she comes into contact with Nymeria, her wolf that she made run away to stave off execution. The wolf's smelling of Arya let the wolf recognize her and prevented the wolf from attacking. If it was the waif in an Arya mask, I don't think the wolf recognize the smell of the waif.
    Waif, what?
    I love the idea posted that Arya and Blacksmith Boy end up on the throne.  That would be pretty cool.  Everyone else dies!
    I also suspect that the house of the many faced god doesn’t appreciate the white walkers stealing from the Stranger. 
    What if the face on the wall isn't the waifs original face? They have, after all, been training to pose as someone else.

I just can't get on board with it because of the direwolves. Once returning back to Westeros, she comes into contact with Nymeria, her wolf that she made run away to stave off execution. The wolf's smelling of Arya let the wolf recognize her and prevented the wolf from attacking. If it was the waif in an Arya mask, I don't think the wolf recognize the smell of the waif.
    I believe that in the books, there is a "transplant" that happens with the faces.  They are also meticulous about learning the backgrounds of their victims and surroundings in general.  When putting on a face, the wearer is hit with memories and emotions from the original person.  

Imo, the biggest factor working against it was ridding the world of freys.  Killing that many people would be a special level of sacrilege to the many faced god.  And to "fool" people is pointless because nobody else knows.  The wolf pack would have also likely devoured an imposter.  Not only smells, there is a telepathic bond.  

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I love the idea posted that Arya and Blacksmith Boy end up on the throne.  That would be pretty cool.  Everyone else dies!
    ....or in the sack!!!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I can't buy the theory that Arya is the waif (first, I had to look up what the waif was, I had forgotten, am I the only one?). 
    One, she is one of the only characters I just don't see them killing off. And she almost got killed because she didn't kill according to the many faced gods and did kill who she wanted to to begin with. So going back and killing the Freys and being Sansa's executioner wouldn't make sense.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited April 2019
    Who felt weird seeing Arya and Gendry? Only because we watched her grow up
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    Weird that she showed skin but it seemed right that they got down.