What book are you reading?

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    SD48277 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Just finished Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, by Erik Larson.  Great writing and fascinating history but one of the most tragic tales I've ever read. 

Really enjoyed this book. Erik Larson has quickly become one of my favorites.  The HH Holmes Chicago World's Fair book is one of my favorites.
    I'm liking his stuff a lot too!  I went right from this one to this:

which was excellent though I liked Dead Wake better.

Now am reading this fine book:

^^Another great book from Patti Smith. Brian, have you read Just Kids?

Presently reading: Sleeping Beauties, by Stephen and Owen King.

Did Sleeping Beauties end well?  I put it down and the big break in the middle and never picked it back up.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Pap said:
    This was a good trilogy, vampires are usually a big NOPE for me, but these beasts were fun.
    And I really like the sound of the phrase, "take one/it on the blade"
    I just read 5 of Jeff Shaara's war books.  Two on the Civil War, two on WW2, and 1 on WW1.
    Fascinating and morbid.
    I've always been strangely drawn to the morbid, which is a bit weird because I'm not morose or introverted at all, I'm a happy go lucky extrovert.
    The Craftsman kinda farted out but I still enjoyed the book, overall.

Picked this up last night:

That looks right up my alley!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets, and Outright Lies from a Lifetime Writing for The Simpsons
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

This book is so damn good. You can learn a lot about the world, things that were never available, through what people type intonhe search bar and internet behavior in general 
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I am almost done with 

The Victory Season: The End of World War II and the Birth of Baseball's Golden Age 

Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,777
    "The Lives of Tao" was pretty good, though I thought the pacing was a little rushed towards the end. I'll probably move on to the rest of the series eventually, but I'm in no rush.
    Current reads:
    "The Calculating Stars" by Mary Robinette Kowal
    An alternate history of the space program. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it. I love that she let's you know right off the bat that it's an alternate history by starting the first chapter with a news clipping from 1952 that starts with the words, "President Dewey".

and "Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture" by Ytasha Womack
    An interesting and enlightening read that has definitely added some music to my playlists and some books to my TBR pile.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Image result for the secret history
    One of the best books I've ever read.

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm reading Circe by Madeline Miller.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Just finished On the Come Up by Angie Thomas.  Loved both it and The Hate U Give.  Her work is beautiful written.

Now on to reading the graphic novel Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Book 3 / Kingsbridge
    Not as good as the others, but still good

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    edited March 2019
    Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm
    I spent a few hours hanging out with him in Ireland some years back, and he signed my copy. I figured I had better read the whole thing, since he urged me to read it properly in his inscription.
    Post edited by ConorKavanagh on
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ConorKavanagh said: Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm
    Great book!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    First book of the Guido Brunetti series by Donna Leon - Death at La Fenice 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    In 1944, there was a pow camp in michigan. (several more were scattered through the states, but this book is in michigan)
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Two great books.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    One chapter into this one and already just blown away.  A great book about our U.S. National Parks written by a woman who is a national treasure.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Harry Potter #7! Almost done with the series, yay! Great series.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    A friend of mine keep pushing HP books on me.  I politely said I would try to get to them but to myself thought, "I never read that kind on nonsense."  I also thought about Henry Rollins' bit about meeting and dating a woman.  They were driving to a coffee shop when she mentioned that she like to read and, being a book fan himself, said, "Great!  What are your reading?"  She replied, "Harry Potter".  He said, "WHAT? You read children's literature? GET OUT OF THE CAR!"  LOL

Well, finally I gave in anyway and read the first one.  OK, that was easy and quick so I went on to number two.  And three.  And all the way to the end.  Love them! 

Sorry Henry!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just finished the Frank Miller Dark Knight series:  The Last Crusade, The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and The Master Race.  The rest are enjoyable, but the original (Returns) is still a classic. For comics, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited April 2019
    brianlux said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    A friend of mine keep pushing HP books on me.  I politely said I would try to get to them but to myself thought, "I never read that kind on nonsense."  I also thought about Henry Rollins' bit about meeting and dating a woman.  They were driving to a coffee shop when she mentioned that she like to read and, being a book fan himself, said, "Great!  What are your reading?"  She replied, "Harry Potter".  He said, "WHAT? You read children's literature? GET OUT OF THE CAR!"  LOL

Well, finally I gave in anyway and read the first one.  OK, that was easy and quick so I went on to number two.  And three.  And all the way to the end.  Love them! 

Sorry Henry!
    I was living in Madrid in 2004, and I had an English roommate who had a copy of 'The Philosopher's Stone'. I think they named it 'Sorcerer's Stone' in America. He kept telling me how great it was. Like you, Brian, I was like, I'm not reading children's lit.
    He eventually moved out and left it for me. So one night I picked it up and stayed awake reading the whole thing. I ran to the English bookshop in the morning and picked up the second book. 
    J.K. Rowling is an amazing storyteller. It's unbelievable she was rejected twelve times before somebody picked her up.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • vogonpoetbythelakevogonpoetbythelake Posts: 2,146
    edited April 2019
    Antigone Undone and the Art of Resistance
     by Will Aitken

Not for people who can resist being shattered...Laurie Anderson

Post edited by vogonpoetbythelake on
    eddiec said:
    brianlux said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Sorry Henry!
    I was living in Madrid in 2004, and I had an English roommate who had a copy of 'The Philosopher's Stone'. I think they named it 'Sorcerer's Stone' in America. He kept telling me how great it was. Like you, Brian, I was like, I'm not reading children's lit.
    He eventually moved out and left it for me. So one night I picked it up and stayed awake reading the whole thing. I ran to the English bookshop in the morning and picked up the second book. 
    J.K. Rowling is an amazing storyteller. It's unbelievable she was rejected twelve times before somebody picked her up.
    Definitely!  Very imaginative and a big draw is her characters- great character development and they are interesting!

edited April 2019
    Having been born here in the U.S. west, as a kid I was a typical Cowboys and Indians fan.  But as I grew up I distanced myself from all that to the point of really not caring about or being interested in western American history which I still think is basically about a bunch of restless white people- mostly men- who would run over, push away, assimilate, or if need be kill, anything and anyone that got in the way of their greedy expansion. 

But, being a fan of adventure, I started reading Ethan Rarick's Desperate Passage; The Donner Party's Perilous Journey West. The true-story telling in this is great and I'm even finding myself interested in the history and maybe even able to feel a little bit why people  might have that urge to seek out something new.  I've started my life over a number of times, so there you go.  Great reading so far.

Post edited by brianlux on

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Read this on the plane yesterday.  Tried a few previous times to start buy finally got into it.
    Overrated based on reviews but not bad absent those expectations.

The love he receives is the love that is saved