what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Selling my m'fn house!!! Well not yet but hopefully soon. Met with a realtor today and she thinks it will sell quickly. Putting on market next month and hoping to be out of hurricane f*ck central by June!!
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    23scidoo said:
    that is fantastic
    Our modern world my friend..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    edited April 2019
    PAOK FC U19 - Campeones -> ✔
    PAOK Women's Volleyball - Pre League Champions -> ✅
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Embarrassment! I just bailed SO dramatically out on the street in front of about 200 people. :lol: I went flying, and rolled a couple times upon impact. I'm miraculously unscathed though... i think because of the roll, lol.
    Of course, everyone just stared and tried to hide their grins instead of checking to make sure I was okay. But I suppose if I'd stayed down and hurt, someone probably wouldn't have come along to help eventually. :angry:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Selling my m'fn house!!! Well not yet but hopefully soon. Met with a realtor today and she thinks it will sell quickly. Putting on market next month and hoping to be out of hurricane f*ck central by June!!
    Good luck!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    That my son snow_foxth is now on the board! Everyone PLEASE welcome him here!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    PJ_Soul said:
    Embarrassment! I just bailed SO dramatically out on the street in front of about 200 people. :lol: I went flying, and rolled a couple times upon impact. I'm miraculously unscathed though... i think because of the roll, lol.
    Of course, everyone just stared and tried to hide their grins instead of checking to make sure I was okay. But I suppose if I'd stayed down and hurt, someone probably wouldn't have come along to help eventually. :angry:
    Check back in about 24 hours and let us know if you still feel okay. Sometimes injuries don't show up right away, especially when the adrenaline is still going. 

I've found that for the most part, people in cities such as yours and mine, don't much give a shit about interrupting their important lives to notice much less help someone. When it does occur, it is usually an older woman. Not being sexist, I'm sure that a guy would break his routine if you had been in your early 20's and 'the right type'. Some people are nurturers and it usually turns out to be women.  There are anomalies and this is completely subjective and unscientific. (disclaimer)

I wonder how long you would have had to stay on the ground before someone actually approached you? Might have been a good social experiment and I have no doubt you could have pulled off the 'awakening' from your fall. Glad you are okay though. :hug:
    dankind said:
    Good luck!
    Good luck also Meredith!!  Do you have a place picked out to relocate?

edited April 2019
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Check back in about 24 hours and let us know if you still feel okay. Sometimes injuries don't show up right away, especially when the adrenaline is still going. 

I've found that for the most part, people in cities such as yours and mine, don't much give a shit about interrupting their important lives to notice much less help someone. When it does occur, it is usually an older woman. Not being sexist, I'm sure that a guy would break his routine if you had been in your early 20's and 'the right type'. Some people are nurturers and it usually turns out to be women.  There are anomalies and this is completely subjective and unscientific. (disclaimer)

I wonder how long you would have had to stay on the ground before someone actually approached you? Might have been a good social experiment and I have no doubt you could have pulled off the 'awakening' from your fall. Glad you are okay though. :hug:
    Oh no, I'm totally fine. I have fallen down a LOT of times, so am an expert at knowing whether or not I'm hurt. :lol: I've never had such a "soft" landing on concrete in my life, lol! But yeah, good question... I think if I'd lain there for more than maybe 10 seconds, someone would have come over for sure. It's a university campus after all, so a somewhat lower asshole ratio than on the regular city street. :tongue:
    You know, I get the impression that a lot of people don't react when they see someone fall down because they are embarrassed for the person, and think that just pretending it didn't happen is best to avoid making it more awkward than it already is ... But as a person who has been the faller so many times (just because I tend to walk around with my head in the clouds too much, lol), that is not the best thing to make the faller feel less humiliated. It is actually WAY nicer for someone to ask if you're okay. That actually lessens the embarrassment, and gives the faller a chance to say thank you to someone for caring, which distracts them from the fact that everyone saw it happen. And once in a while this does happen (can't say I've noticed a gender/age commonality - it's been all over the board). Once when I bailed in a mall, this one man passing saw that I'd slipped on something someone has spilled on the floor, and he was angry on my behalf, and hauled me over to some mall staff and complained for me. I think he wanted me to sue them! :lol: That seriously made me feel better... I injured myself that time, and he made it hurt less too with the distraction, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Welcome @snow_foxth !  It's awesome that you and your mom share an interest in such good music!!
    Welcome boy!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    PJ_Soul said:
    Tuck and roll! 
    ELITIST FUK
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    The good old days
    Finally got my preventative lung ct scan yesterday - age and courage and insurance finally came together. 

I have been in an absolute state of terror for the past day - the scan wasn't anything at all, except for the consequences if they find something. And I read negativity into the face and tone of the imaging guy and nurses, etc. They could have told me everything is fine and I would have read into that.

Had it at around 2 yesterday and they said 24 hours for results so I'm sitting and waiting for the call. The imaging guy said to call the doctor (WHY???) but I can't get up the courage. But every muscle twitch and breath suddenly feels suspicious and I made the mistake of reading the American Cancer Society's page on the effectiveness of low dose CT scans on ex/current smokers and it was a huge mistake. 

I'm at the very beginning of the age range allowed for it, but if you are 40 or older and just quit or are still smoking - the guidelines are quit in last 15 years or still smoking. So quit!  I did two years ago, but I have gobs of smoking (pack) years on top of that so I am screwed. 

This is probably the most scared I have been in a very long time - my life could change with one phone call. And I'm not an optimist of late. So as of right now, I am not aware that I have lung cancer or some other cancer but that could change at any moment. Oh and I made a mammogram appointment for Friday - haven't had one in too long and figured why not just get all the bad news at once. 

My support system is non-existent so that is why I am typing my panic on a rock band forum. And I get to do this every year for the next 20 years (unless I get a bad one and then.....).   Positive energy in short supply and I'm rambling.

Hope everyone else is having a good day. Seriously. :worried:

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm sorry, Nancy - that "make the call" feeling can be rife with emotions and what-ifs.

For what it's worth, I had my very first mammogram a few months ago - and breast cancer is quite common in our family.  Fear and intentional blindness is a wonderful delay tactic, I know, but it'll drive you nuts.  It did me, anyway.  The knowledge, for better and worse, is much more manageable - even the really heavy stuff (again, for me - still scary, but not...floating and not knowing).

If therapy's not your thing (I know it isn't for many), let us also be your support system as you need it :)

Lots of good energy sent your way.

On a lighter note, some actors' head shots are so strange.  I've noticed some are really big on the head-in-hand pose.
    hedonist said:
    I'm sorry, Nancy - that "make the call" feeling can be rife with emotions and what-ifs.

For what it's worth, I had my very first mammogram a few months ago - and breast cancer is quite common in our family.  Fear and intentional blindness is a wonderful delay tactic, I know, but it'll drive you nuts.  It did me, anyway.  The knowledge, for better and worse, is much more manageable - even the really heavy stuff (again, for me - still scary, but not...floating and not knowing).

If therapy's not your thing (I know it isn't for many), let us also be your support system as you need it :)

Lots of good energy sent your way.

On a lighter note, some actors' head shots are so strange.  I've noticed some are really big on the head-in-hand pose.
    Thanks - therapy is an integral part of my life but people on here are part of my support system - you are one of them. :hug:

Had a mammo at 39 and 43 and then just went stupid for a long time. I'm at least doing the lung cancer thing at the beginning (oh goodie - getting older and dealing with past bad habits really bites).  

I'm gonna make that call now - deep breath and thank you.

And LOL about the head shots. 

PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh no, I'm totally fine. I have fallen down a LOT of times, so am an expert at knowing whether or not I'm hurt. :lol: I've never had such a "soft" landing on concrete in my life, lol! But yeah, good question... I think if I'd lain there for more than maybe 10 seconds, someone would have come over for sure. It's a university campus after all, so a somewhat lower asshole ratio than on the regular city street. :tongue:
    You know, I get the impression that a lot of people don't react when they see someone fall down because they are embarrassed for the person, and think that just pretending it didn't happen is best to avoid making it more awkward than it already is ... But as a person who has been the faller so many times (just because I tend to walk around with my head in the clouds too much, lol), that is not the best thing to make the faller feel less humiliated. It is actually WAY nicer for someone to ask if you're okay. That actually lessens the embarrassment, and gives the faller a chance to say thank you to someone for caring, which distracts them from the fact that everyone saw it happen. And once in a while this does happen (can't say I've noticed a gender/age commonality - it's been all over the board). Once when I bailed in a mall, this one man passing saw that I'd slipped on something someone has spilled on the floor, and he was angry on my behalf, and hauled me over to some mall staff and complained for me. I think he wanted me to sue them! :lol: That seriously made me feel better... I injured myself that time, and he made it hurt less too with the distraction, haha.
    I would think that you being on a campus would change the dynamics a bit - not like you're walking down the middle of Vancouver (NYC for me). I usually do the really awkward trip and then, for no apparent reason, turn around as if I am really interested in what made me stumble.  I have really bad ankles and feet though so at this point, anytime I trip I have a 50/50 chance of spraining something.

The guy probably wanted you to sue. I am not a sue type person but they are all over the place. I have someone suing me right now for my car being in the way when she hit it. People are really greedy and petty. I don't want to profit off someone for no reason. 

Glad you are okay though. I think about Dave Matthews explaining the song So Damn Lucky as being about that second when you know you are about to completely faceplant and there is nothing you can do to stop it but the song is written in that moment right before it happens. Random, I know. Have a good day, Alli. 
    njnancy said:
    Finally got my preventative lung ct scan yesterday - age and courage and insurance finally came together. 

I have been in an absolute state of terror for the past day - the scan wasn't anything at all, except for the consequences if they find something. And I read negativity into the face and tone of the imaging guy and nurses, etc. They could have told me everything is fine and I would have read into that.

Had it at around 2 yesterday and they said 24 hours for results so I'm sitting and waiting for the call. The imaging guy said to call the doctor (WHY???) but I can't get up the courage. But every muscle twitch and breath suddenly feels suspicious and I made the mistake of reading the American Cancer Society's page on the effectiveness of low dose CT scans on ex/current smokers and it was a huge mistake. 

I'm at the very beginning of the age range allowed for it, but if you are 40 or older and just quit or are still smoking - the guidelines are quit in last 15 years or still smoking. So quit!  I did two years ago, but I have gobs of smoking (pack) years on top of that so I am screwed. 

This is probably the most scared I have been in a very long time - my life could change with one phone call. And I'm not an optimist of late. So as of right now, I am not aware that I have lung cancer or some other cancer but that could change at any moment. Oh and I made a mammogram appointment for Friday - haven't had one in too long and figured why not just get all the bad news at once. 

My support system is non-existent so that is why I am typing my panic on a rock band forum. And I get to do this every year for the next 20 years (unless I get a bad one and then.....).   Positive energy in short supply and I'm rambling.

My thoughts are with you Nancy..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

edited April 2019
    njnancy said:

I get your fear Nancy - sorry you have to experience it. Have you heard back yet??? My fingers are crossed for you! Whatever the results, I hope you get the support you need in every way.

My mom just went through the exact same thing over the past couple of weeks. She had a scan done as a follow up to pneumonia, which she was in the hospital for from Christmas to New Years Eve (along with a kidney and bladder infection - it was very bad; she almost died - it was a rough holiday season for us. She's okay now). The follow up scan showed a lung nodule. My mom has smoked since she was 16, and is now 73. She did mostly stop smoking since the hospital, but obviously that hasn't made any difference in that short a time. Anyway, she had two options once they discovered the nodule, which could be benign or could be cancer: 1) wait 6 months and get another CT scan and see if it grew. If it did, it's most likely cancer, and go from there (all for free). 2) Get a PET scan right away, and pay $3400 for it at a private clinic, and find out immediately if it's cancer or not, just to avoid the 6 month wait. So obviously my mom wasn't willing to wait 6 months, and paid the money (luckily she could afford it), and got the PET scan. The time waiting for this to be done and then for the results was absolutely horrible and anxiety inducing for her and for me. But at least it did all happen within a week....
    And the results are... well, good, not super great. It is NOT cancer, yay! But now she has to do what you're doing Nancy. She has to get a CT scan every 3 months for the next 2 to 3 years to monitor the nodule (and the rest of her lungs). If nothing happens in the next 2 to 3 years with the nodule, then they figure it will never become cancer. So yeah, we all have to just deal with that weight on our shoulders, and go through the fear that comes with each scan and the wait for the results. The bright side is that my mom will never have to pay that ridiculous amount of money for a scan again, since now it won't just be a "set my mind at ease scan". Anything that happens now is covered. But FWIW, I feel that making her pay that was ageism. I have had a PET scan done for free, and i got in for it within a week, and that was when they had less reason to be concerned that I might have something wrong. I think they fast tracked me and made it so it was covered under MSP because I was in my 30s and not my 70s. I think they are less "paranoid" about potential but not probable stuff like that with the elderly. Which is infuriating.
    PJ_Soul said:
    njnancy said:

I get your fear Nancy - sorry you have to experience it. Have you heard back yet??? My fingers are crossed for you! Whatever the results, I hope you get the support you need in every way.

My mom just went through the exact same thing over the past couple of weeks. She had a scan done as a follow up to pneumonia, which she was in the hospital for from Christmas to New Years Eve (along with a kidney and bladder infection - it was very bad; she almost died - it was a rough holiday season for us. She's okay now). The follow up scan showed a lung nodule. My mom has smoked since she was 16, and is now 73. She did mostly stop smoking since the hospital, but obviously that hasn't made any difference in that short a time. Anyway, she had two options once they discovered the nodule, which could be benign or could be cancer: 1) wait 6 months and get another CT scan and see if it grew. If it did, it's most likely cancer, and go from there (all for free). 2) Get a PET scan right away, and pay $3400 for it at a private clinic, and find out immediately if it's cancer or not, just to avoid the 6 month wait. So obviously my mom wasn't willing to wait 6 months, and paid the money (luckily she could afford it), and got the PET scan. The time waiting for this to be done and then for the results was absolutely horrible and anxiety inducing for her and for me. But at least it did all happen within a week....
    And the results are... well, good, not super great. It is NOT cancer, yay! But now she has to do what you're doing Nancy. She has to get a CT scan every 3 months for the next 2 to 3 years to monitor the nodule (and the rest of her lungs). If nothing happens in the next 2 to 3 years with the nodule, then they figure it will never become cancer. So yeah, we all have to just deal with that weight on our shoulders, and go through the fear that comes with each scan and the wait for the results. The bright side is that my mom will never have to pay that ridiculous amount of money for a scan again, since now it won't just be a "set my mind at ease scan". Anything that happens now is covered. But FWIW, I feel that making her pay that was ageism. I have had a PET scan done for free, and i got in for it within a week, and that was when they had less reason to be concerned that I might have something wrong. I think they fast tracked me and made it so it was covered under MSP because I was in my 30s and not my 70s. I think they are less "paranoid" about potential but not probable stuff like that with the elderly. Which is infuriating.
    That's horrible that she had to pay for something that anyone would do. Who would wait 6 months to see if it's cancer and has grown and spread. Stupid. Glad she could afford it and even happier that it was not cancer. Fingers crossed for the future scans. 

Who thinks about this when they're a teen ager or young adult and starts smoking, especially when I started. You could smoke everywhere. It was not a big deal. Well, it is a big deal but we didn't think about it as being so scary. There's also that denial as a young person who thinks they're invincible. As I was addicted and kept passing milestones I swore I'd quit at it was always on my  mind. I'm so glad that I finally quit 2 years ago, although it doesn't change the guidelines.

I finally got a call about 3 hours ago - after calling yesterday and today - and my test is clear. Thank god. I was in such a state of panic. I have to get it done every 6 months so maybe I'll eventually get used to it? My doctor said that there was something strange on my X-Ray so I could get in a couple years early and get covered by insurance. It was a lie but he's looking out for me. My primary doctor is also a pulmonary specialist so....

As for X-Rays, my doctors told me that once something shows up on an x-ray (lung wise), it's too late. That was freaking awesome to hear and it was before they had this option. I just opted not to get X-Rays after that. 

I thought it was going to be once a year, but I guess 6 months goes with how long I smoked. At least I have my baseline at the very beginning of the age that is allowed so that's a good thing. Lung cancer is scary, and people who tell smokers or ex-smokers - well, duh what do you expect - are just insensitive idiots that don't understand addiction. I was a teenager in the 70's when I started - different world, but addiction is addiction. 

I got my son, whose 21, off of cigarettes which he started smoking while at his father's by having him use the Juul and so he's been cigarette free for about a year. I hope he stays off of them - he has always had trouble with his lungs - we both have asthma but his is way worse than mine. I'd be living in the hospital for about 2 weeks every September for the first 15 years of his life. 

So I'm okay for now. Hope the mammo goes well, I can get back on a yearly track with that after tomorrow. 

Thanks  @PJ_Soul /Alli and thank you @23scidoo

edited April 2019
    YAY! Congrats! :joy: You must feel so relieved!

No kidding about it being easy back then to start smoking! When I was growing up, not only did my mom smoke, but so did SO many other people, and you could smoke inside everywhere you went. So of course I started smoking in grade 8, at 13, along with 90% of my friends. There was a smoke pit at my high school, which I was allowed to be in at that age, and it was the social hub of the school. Plus a pack of smokes only cost like $4 or $5 at that point. You could even smoke in the corridors at the malls (how did all the clothes in the all the stores not smell like smoke??). So the rest was history for me. There were times in my life when I smoked more (particularly during my high school and university years), and times when I smoked less. By the age of 30 I was down to 2, sometimes up to 3 packs a week at most.... But it never even occurred to me to quit TBH, because it's so damned enjoyable. :lol: But then finally, just last October, someone showed me the miracle of vaping, now that they've come up with a very small device that doesn't look ridiculous. Miracle in that I switched to a non-carcinogenic option without flinching, and the vaping isn't constant. I don't even get the urge to do that until night time. I haven't had even a single thought about smoking since then. Someone can smoke in front of me and I couldn't care less. And wow, the difference is definitely felt. Hopefully I stopped early enough to avoid lung cancer or anything else smoking related.
    PJ_Soul said:
    YAY! Congrats! :joy: You must feel so relieved!

No kidding about it being easy back then to start smoking! When I was growing up, not only did my mom smoke, but so did SO many other people, and you could smoke inside everywhere you went. So of course I started smoking in grade 8, at 13, along with 90% of my friends. There was a smoke pit at my high school, which I was allowed to be in at that age, and it was the social hub of the school. Plus a pack of smokes only cost like $4 or $5 at that point. You could even smoke in the corridors at the malls (how did all the clothes in the all the stores not smell like smoke??). So the rest was history for me. There were times in my life when I smoked more (particularly during my high school and university years), and times when I smoked less. By the age of 30 I was down to 2, sometimes up to 3 packs a week at most.... But it never even occurred to me to quit TBH, because it's so damned enjoyable. :lol: But then finally, just last October, someone showed me the miracle of vaping, now that they've come up with a very small device that doesn't look ridiculous. Miracle in that I switched to a non-carcinogenic option without flinching, and the vaping isn't constant. I don't even get the urge to do that until night time. I haven't had even a single thought about smoking since then. Someone can smoke in front of me and I couldn't care less. And wow, the difference is definitely felt. Hopefully I stopped early enough to avoid lung cancer or anything else smoking related.
    Yes, I am - LOL - love your party guy!!!

Yeah, you used to be able to smoke everywhere and we had 'the circle' at high school. We would go on the steps of whatever door we wanted between classes and all stand there and smoke. I guess we didn't smell it because everyone was smoking so we just didn't notice the difference. We could smoke in the dorms at college, movie theaters, it was a completely different mind set. 
    The hardest was when they stopped smoking on planes cause I am terrified of flying. 
    But vaping did the impossible for me - I can't believe I have no desire to smoke a cigarette and I definitely don't use it the same as I did cigarettes. 
    I was a pack a day for most of my life. 
    The guidelines are 30 pack years - so if you smoked a pack a day for 30 years or 2 packs a day for  15 years, you can play with the numbers - I know I started in my teens and quit in my 50's so I'm Patient Zero You need to be asymptomatic and are still smoking or quit in the last 15 years, starting in your 50's - that's insurance's guidelines.   Or not. I would like to have the best chance of catching something before it just kills me like pancreatic cancer killed my sister in 3 months. 

It was much easier to be 16  or 26 and freaking clueless. I always said I would quite at 30, but evidently I passed that one and a couple more. It is what it is and I can only hope that I've had enough diseases in my life that karma decides not to hit me with that particular whammy.

You probably will be okay Alli - I'm glad you quit now. I hope Mom is still not smoking. :hug:
    Good to hear all is clear Nancy!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Good to hear all is clear Nancy!!
    :relieved:

thanks scidoo!!!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    23scidoo said:
    Both, I think.

I had no idea what the article was about until I saw the tweet.  Man.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Just got these chicks I’m hoping they grow good & strong this summer so next year they start laying eggs. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....