Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    my2hands said:
    Sprite is the best soda, in my humble opinion 
    No. Fanta Lemon is. 

If you don't count Julmust:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    £2 a can.  Just  wow
    £1.66

But it is because they're not from the swedish Coca Cola (We do not have those Fanta flavours here) but imported from the US in some way.

The normal "swedish" cans (Fanta or other) are £0,99 or 2 for £1.66 in this "candy store". In a supermarket a Fanta can would be I guess around £ 0.55
    Whoa!  For that much (= 2.17 US), I want something good in a bottle like this:

Root beer is truly American!  Sassafras root drinks among indigenous Americans pre-date European arrival.  Couple that with copious amounts of sugar and some carbonation and you have a truly great beverage...to be enjoyed only occasionally.

@Spiritual_Chaos if you can find a quality root beer, give it a try and report back!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

@Spiritual_Chaos if you can find a quality root beer, give it a try and report back!
    I will check at the supermarket who has an american shelf.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited April 2019
    Haha. There's a lot of wrong stuff in this video BUT it made me think of how crazy it is that in "the greatest country in the world" you walk around with your shoes on inside. For some weird illogical reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgXsDyIYFs
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    You are obsessed bro, seriously
    my2hands said:
    There's that disdain again.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    You show disdain for my country and people every day. You're watching youtube videos comparing Swedish & American homes? You are obsessed. It's lame, bro
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    You show disdain for my country and people every day. You're watching youtube videos comparing Swedish & American homes? You are obsessed. It's lame, bro
    It reeks of an inferiority complex...
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2019
    Without getting into the argument, I would like to mention that Europe in general really does have the housing figured out better, for environmental and efficiency purposes. I didn't watch that video, but know that they tend to build their houses to maximize heating, angled according to the sun, with windows strategically placed for the same reasons, shit like that. I've always admired that. North Americans don't do that at all, but really really should. But hardly anyone cares.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Without getting into the argument, I would like to mention that Europe in general really does have the housing figured out better, for environmental and efficiency purposes. I didn't watch that video, but know that they tend to build their houses to maximize heating, angled according to the sun, with windows strategically placed for the same reasons, shit like that. I've always admired that. North Americans don't do that at all, but really really should. But hardly anyone cares.
    THEY WALK WITH THEIR SHOES ON INSIDE. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I don't get why you care about that. You should only care if they walk around YOUR house with their shoes on, since it bothers you so much.
    Me, I take off my shoes, but also think it's really rude to make people coming to one's home for a party to take off their shoes. Shoes are part of an outfit - you don't make people, especially women, take off part of their ensemble that they put on to look nice at the party.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t think that’s an American standard.  I take my shoes off when I walk in the door, but there is no cultural relevance to it.  What I’ve noticed is that people with carpet tend to take shoes off and people with tile or hard wood flooring may keep them on...but I would say it is different with every single household.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I don't get why you care about that. You should only care if they walk around YOUR house with their shoes on, since it bothers you so much.
    Me, I take off my shoes, but also think it's really rude to make people coming to one's home for a party to take off their shoes. Shoes are part of an outfit - you don't make people, especially women, take off part of their ensemble that they put on to look nice at the party.
    Not to mention athletes foot...lol. Some places, you just don’t want to walk barefoot, ha
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I see a lot of cultural differences, nothing more.  At parties I definitely don't take off my shoes but in my house it depends on the situation, sometimes we wear shoes and sometimes we don't.  You bring up shoes but you guys have a washing machine in your god damn bathroom.  The only reason why this would be done is if you live in a real small place.  You don't have ac we do.  (I have two zones) 
    I wouldn't event know how to cook with an electric oven, gas is the way to go. 
    But ya bro, you are definitely obsessed.  It is borderline creepy.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    Honestly I haven’t been in a home that does that in I don’t know how long 
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t think that’s an American standard.  I take my shoes off when I walk in the door, but there is no cultural relevance to it.  What I’ve noticed is that people with carpet tend to take shoes off and people with tile or hard wood flooring may keep them on...but I would say it is different with every single household.
    For sure. It's just personal preference. I actually don't care at all either way (except with that party scenario) - I do whatever the person who lives in the house wants. I don't think it's fucked up to leave your shoes on, assuming you don't have dog shit or gum or something on your shoe. People clean their floors and vacuum and everything. It's not a big deal. I only always take them off at my own home because I hate the feel of shoes and socks on my feet. I'm fine if someone comes over and leaves their shoes on... just as long as they don't then put their shoes on my sofa or something. Now THAT'S rude.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I see a lot of cultural differences, nothing more.  At parties I definitely don't take off my shoes but in my house it depends on the situation, sometimes we wear shoes and sometimes we don't.  You bring up shoes but you guys have a washing machine in your god damn bathroom.  The only reason why this would be done is if you live in a real small place.  You don't have ac we do.  (I have two zones) 
    I wouldn't event know how to cook with an electric oven, gas is the way to go. 
    But ya bro, you are definitely obsessed.  It is borderline creepy.  
    “Borderline”
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    For sure. It's just personal preference. I actually don't care at all either way (except with that party scenario) - I do whatever the person who lives in the house wants. I don't think it's fucked up to leave your shoes on, assuming you don't have dog shit or gum or something on your shoe. People clean their floors and vacuum and everything. It's not a big deal. I only always take them off at my own home because I hate the feel of shoes and socks on my feet. I'm fine if someone comes over and leaves their shoes on... just as long as they don't then put their shoes on my sofa or something. Now THAT'S rude.
    Agreed, reminds me of the “fuck yo couch” skit from Dave Chappelle’s show, ha!
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    :rofl: I love that skit!!! Probably the best skit ever made in the history of comedy, seriously!

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    100% agree.  
    Now if my kids attempt to come in the house with their muddy cleats or spikes my wife might cut off their legs.  ;)  Especially since we have a mud room area in one part of the garage.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    :rofl: I love that skit!!! Probably the best skit ever made in the history of comedy, seriously!

Yes!!! Hahaha
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Couldn’t care less if people leave their shoes on or take them off in my place. My only rules are 1) make yourself comfortable, 2) don’t double dip, and 3) if you get piss on the toilet seat or floor, wipe it up.
    Couldn’t care less if people leave their shoes on or take them off in my place. My only rules are 1) make yourself comfortable, 2) don’t double dip, and 3) if you get piss on the toilet seat or floor, wipe it up.
    Is this an official  invite to all your pj friends?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    Offic-al!
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Offic-al!
    Spiritual can bring the moose steaks!
    Just messing with you Spiritual, I know you are a veg head ;)
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I remember when I backpacked Costa Rica 25 years ago.

We hit this little establishment in San Jose. The waitress came to our table and proceeded to take our drink order. Rob ordered an Imperial (cerveza). The waitress replied they didn't serve alcohol. We looked at each other... kind of astonished.

Rob said, "Welp. I guess I'll have a Fanta."

I laughed my ass off. Every time I hear the term Fanta... I think to that time. 
    That's awesome. Reminds me of the time 20 years ago that I did study abroad in Germany and my friends and I went in to a pub (mind you, we were all 16 and 17, illegal in US, but ready to rock in Deutschland!) and everyone is placing their orders for the various local lagers and it gets to my last buddy and he goes...I'll have a Fanta. We're all like, WTF? I didn't even know what a Fanta was at the time. He was always scared we'd get in trouble with our chaperones.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You are supposed to wear shoes indoors...never slippers.  Shoes are better for your feet healthwise.  The only time I am not wearing shoes is when I am sleeping.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    You are supposed to wear shoes indoors...never slippers.  Shoes are better for your feet healthwise.  The only time I am not wearing shoes is when I am sleeping.
    That's actually exactly what the podiatrist told my wife when she started to developed a couple of spayed toes.  And it's become a regular thing to see people wearing slipper and flip flops everywhere.  This will bring in a lot of business for future podiatrists!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGuG8esJuQ
This discussion has been closed.