*** The vegetarian/vegan thread ***

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited March 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
Searched and couldn't find one.

Food that looks like electronics. This vegan mozarella looks like an Apple TV. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Are you making sandwiches?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Are you making sandwiches?
    Wanted to try making a vegan "pasta gratin"(?). Even though I'm just a vegetarian. But bought all vegan ingredientes. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I'm all for vegan and vegetarian options.  Healthy and some tasty options.  
    When I do, however, I like to eat things presented as they are, not what they try to be.  (No vegan cheese steaks.  Call it whatever it is.  Don't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining.)
    Best vegan meal I've had was at this place
    https://www.avantgardennyc.com/

One of the guys with us was against that as our dinner choice and he ended up loving it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I did a ,pescatarian' diet for a month last year.  I did miss chicken.  A lot.  Got creative with cooking lots of vegetables so that was fun.

I like to eat things presented as they are, not what they try to be.  
    Big deal. Whatever helps people.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    While reading through this thread, I'm enjoying a delicious bowl of my home-made Muesli with rice milk and honey drizzled over...

oh wait... honey.  DANG IT!  Honey is a non-native, animal based food.  Argh!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Just ate a couple of bean burgers over a big bed of lettuce, onion, tomatoes, pickles, olives, and topped with lots of salsa.
    Delicious.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited May 2019
    I would love to eat some more veggie dishes. any good recipes?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Scicilian is vegetarian!

Scicilian is vegetarian!

Hell yeah but way too many carbs. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I've looked at and tried a lot of diets.  If I cut out everything that at one time or another I was trying to avoid I would have to cut out:

Meat and fish
    Carbs (which include dairy, fruits, grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables)
    Gluten
    Sugar
    Yeast

I think that leaves carrots, lettuce and broccoli.  I wonder if I could survive on carrots, lettuce and broccoli?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I use Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, Vegetarian
    Bittman is amazing.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019

Why not just stay out of the thread instead? You are not in here with even an ounce of respect or any care for the cause.

These constant attempts to "mock" in this thread, together with how you have been acting in other threads on the board regarding women is not a good look.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    On the weekend I bought a couple of the Beyond Meat meatless patties to try , since I’ve heard great things about them. Might throw them on the bbq tonight. Anyone else tried them? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    On the weekend I bought a couple of the Beyond Meat meatless patties to try , since I’ve heard great things about them. Might throw them on the bbq tonight. Anyone else tried them? 
    Are you from the US? How is the sortiment of vegetarian "substitutes" in the regular supermarkets? I guess it differ from store to store, and state to state maybe - but in general?

It has really exploded in Sweden the last ten years.
    I tread lightly here, because the person who loves to be in on every thread and start all sorts of random threads takes this very seriously and likes to belittle people's responses....but what the hell, I will risk it.  :lol:   

I posted in The Food Thread that I tried the Beyond Meat Sausage this weekend...we also cooked some Beyond Meat burgers.
    They were decent.  I did lettuce wrap for bun and topped with pickles, olives, tomato, and onion...and thought it was a good meal. 
    As with the Sausages, they do not taste like the animal.  They do taste good.  The texture is pretty good.  I enjoyed and would have no problem eating -- they are much better for your body based on a comparison of nutrition tables.  No idea how much better for the environment and all of that.
    I tread lightly here, because the person who loves to be in on every thread and start all sorts of random threads takes this very seriously and likes to belittle people's responses....but what the hell, I will risk it.  :lol:   

I posted in The Food Thread that I tried the Beyond Meat Sausage this weekend...we also cooked some Beyond Meat burgers.
    They were decent.  I did lettuce wrap for bun and topped with pickles, olives, tomato, and onion...and thought it was a good meal. 
    As with the Sausages, they do not taste like the animal.  They do taste good.  The texture is pretty good.  I enjoyed and would have no problem eating -- they are much better for your body based on a comparison of nutrition tables.  No idea how much better for the environment and all of that.
    Right?  Kettle meet pot lol
    mcgruff10 said:

It is all good -- I laugh at it and take postings on the interwebs for what they most often are. 
    mcgruff10 said:

It is all good -- I laugh at it and take postings on the interwebs for what they most often are. 
    Same here. Jersey people keep it real. Lol

Good taste and good texture sounds fine to me. I’ll see how it goes. 

i am wondering if grilling will dry them out, since they won’t have the fat content of beef. Maybe pan fry them? 
    Are you from the US? How is the sortiment of vegetarian "substitutes" in the regular supermarkets? I guess it differ from store to store, and state to state maybe - but in general?

It has really exploded in Sweden the last ten years.
    Not in the US, no - in Canada. We have also had an explosion of choice but these ones are supposed to be good. 

i am wondering if grilling will dry them out, since they won’t have the fat content of beef. Maybe pan fry them? 
    I popped them down in a cast iron skillet - no oil or anything and cooked 3 mins per side.  Seemed fine.  I am also curious about grilling...
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Just rub some bacon grease on it and you’ll be good to go ;)
    I can report back that the Beyond Meat burgers were very tasty. Didn’t seem to dry out on the grill. Of course, when topped with a nice aged cheddar, jalapeño slices, and greens, most things would taste pretty good. I will buy them
    again.