Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited March 2019
    You pay for plastic in many stores in Vancouver too (including Walmart and most grocery stores, and of course Costco doesn't have any bags at all - they use cardboard boxes if necessary instead). I literally always have at least one large fabric tote with me though, rolled up in my purse. I must admit, I purposefully take plastic bags sometimes, because I reuse them for various things. Sometimes I find that a plastic bag is just really needed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    You can't get plastic bags where I get my groceries. You can get paper, for a fee, but I always bring my reusables. For small purchases, I don't even get a bag; it all goes into my panniers (when I'm cycling) or my backpack.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    So what do you all without plastic bags scoop your cat poop into? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Yup, that's one of the things I reuse them for! But I can think of other options. I would imagine paper bags would be the most obvious solution... I never get any paper bags from anywhere though... They'd have to be really fucking strong, thick paper bags too. And surely increasing paper bag production by a massive amount isn't great for the environment either, to say the least. They do also have kitty litter Genies, where you just scoop directly into a sealed container, and then empty the whole container in the trash when it's full... I would like this option, except that if I empty big containers of cat piss and shit into the communal garbage bin in the underground parking lot, I think it would create such a stink that it wouldn't be appropriate... At this point, I feel like if I couldn't get plastic bags anywhere anymore, I'd actually have to buy them specifically for the kitty litter. Of course biodegradable ones. I'd rather not have to do that though. Why can't all plastic bags just be biodegradable?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Exactly. I reuse the plastic bags for things like dog shit. I also use it as an outer bag (to prevent leaks) for my paper bag I use for food waste which goes into a yard waste bin. So I'm hoping not to completely lose by supply of these handy bags, but I also rarely get new ones and have been working through my old stock. Many cities around me have banned them, and I'm sure a statewide ban is coming soon. I carry reusable bags in my trunk so I always have some to take into grocery stores. And I have a massive Ikea resusable bag that I keep in the trunk for Costco trips.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup, that's one of the things I reuse them for! But I can think of other options. I would imagine paper bags would be the most obvious solution... I never get any paper bags from anywhere though... They'd have to be really fucking strong, thick paper bags too. And surely increasing paper bag production by a massive amount isn't great for the environment either, to say the least. They do also have kitty litter Genies, where you just scoop directly into a sealed container, and then empty the whole container in the trash when it's full... I would like this option, except that if I empty big containers of cat piss and shit into the communal garbage bin in the underground parking lot, I think it would create such a stink that it wouldn't be appropriate... At this point, I feel like if I couldn't get plastic bags anywhere anymore, I'd actually have to buy them specifically for the kitty litter. Of course biodegradable ones. I'd rather not have to do that though. Why can't all plastic bags just be biodegradable?
    Don't they have compostable bags for that?

Edit: Can cat poo go into compost?
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    Exactly. I reuse the plastic bags for things like dog shit. I also use it as an outer bag (to prevent leaks) for my paper bag I use for food waste which goes into a yard waste bin. So I'm hoping not to completely lose by supply of these handy bags, but I also rarely get new ones and have been working through my old stock. Many cities around me have banned them, and I'm sure a statewide ban is coming soon. I carry reusable bags in my trunk so I always have some to take into grocery stores. And I have a massive Ikea resusable bag that I keep in the trunk for Costco trips.
    Yeah, plastic bags are sometimes just necessary. Things leak on the way home from the store sometimes, and that is so gross to have a pack of meat or milk or something seeping through a fabric bag. GROSS! I'm happy to way reduce how much I use them and to pay for them, but I don't want them to disappear altogether.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    To answer the question originally posed...

America is absolutely the greatest country on planet earth
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,712
    eddiec said:
    Here's something that bugs me, and it could easily be rectified. 
    I currently live in Ireland. When I go the supermarket, I bring the same two tote bags I've been using for the past few years. If you forget your bags, they charge you a small fee for each plastic bag you need or you can purchase a new reusable tote. This forces most people to bring their own reusable bags.

When I visit my parents in New York and go to the supermarket, (and I'm only using NY as a reference, I don't know how it is in other states), it's a horrific waste of plastic. A lot of aisles will have people who pack your bags, and they literally barely fill each bag before starting to fill another one. I'm talking like four oranges and they consider it full. One time I needed to pick up just a handful of things, so at checkout they started bagging them up. When I told them I didn't need a bag, the two people at checkout looked at me like I was a psycho.

Apparently voting in legislation to reduce plastic bags isn't going to work either.  I base that cynical comment on seeing almost the same number of people in the grocery store get new plastic or paper bags rather than bring their own.  Here in  California, we voted in legislation to make consumers have to buy a grocery bag (for a negligible amount of money) rather than outright ban them.  It blows me away how many people still won't take their own reusable bags to the grocery store.  And stores other than grocery stores don't have to charge for bags so their giving out by the millions every day.  Great example of how great we are, eh?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    What I think is a much worse problem is the recycling industry in North America. SO much of the stuff we recycle doesn't actually get recycled just because the recycling centers don't have anywhere near the capacity that is required to handle it all. There is probably a 50/50 chance that what you're recycling is going to end up in a landfill anyhow. So really THAT has to be addressed and fixed first and foremost, not consumer habits. Also, there absolutely needs to be legislation when it comes to manufacturer packaging. It should be the law that ALL packaging has to be recyclable. But again, that will only be useful if the recycling industry goes through an honest to god revolution.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    What I think is a much worse problem is the recycling industry in North America. SO much of the stuff we recycle doesn't actually get recycled just because the recycling centers don't have anywhere near the capacity that is required to handle it all. There is probably a 50/50 chance that what you're recycling is going to end up in a landfill anyhow. So really THAT has to be addressed and fixed first and foremost, not consumer habits. Also, there absolutely needs to be legislation when it comes to manufacturer packaging. It should be the law that ALL packaging has to be recyclable. But again, that will only be useful if the recycling industry goes through an honest to god revolution.
    a guy I work with who was once a garbageman told me that 90% of all recycling gets in the landfill. that was probably 10 years ago, but I don't doubt it. just in the last couple years winnipeg has been sending out awareness campaigns on what can/can't be recycled. it boggles my mind that people actually toss used clothing (and other non-recyclables) in their recycling bins at such a rate that they had to spell that out on ads on the sides of buses. people are so fucking stupid. 

it's also partly the waste departments poor communication on what is and what isn't recyclable. a while back, they told everyone "don't rinse out your cans! it's a waste of water". now it's "rinse out your cans or it contaminates the recyclables making them waste!". get it together. we need clear messaging and what those symbols on the bottom of starbucks cups and shit mean. one day it was "it has to be a #4 to go in the bin" then it was "the number doesn't matter!" and I think it changed again. 

it's really confusing and turns people off trying to be responsible. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    a guy I work with who was once a garbageman told me that 90% of all recycling gets in the landfill. that was probably 10 years ago, but I don't doubt it. just in the last couple years winnipeg has been sending out awareness campaigns on what can/can't be recycled. it boggles my mind that people actually toss used clothing (and other non-recyclables) in their recycling bins at such a rate that they had to spell that out on ads on the sides of buses. people are so fucking stupid. 

it's also partly the waste departments poor communication on what is and what isn't recyclable. a while back, they told everyone "don't rinse out your cans! it's a waste of water". now it's "rinse out your cans or it contaminates the recyclables making them waste!". get it together. we need clear messaging and what those symbols on the bottom of starbucks cups and shit mean. one day it was "it has to be a #4 to go in the bin" then it was "the number doesn't matter!" and I think it changed again. 

And with China turning away N American recyclables, more and more is just going back into the waste stream.

We've got to focus on the first two Rs.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

What really gets me is seeing people toss aluminum cans and/ or glass bottles in the trash.    If they get tossed in the recycle bin they may not get recycled but at least they have a chance and it's so easy to do.  I can't imagine tossing glass or aluminum in the trash.  Blows my mind.

Apparently "single-stream" recycling is a major culprit for why more stuff is supposedly being "recycled" and why less stuff actually is getting recycled:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited March 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What really gets me is seeing people toss aluminum cans and/ or glass bottles in the trash.    If they get tossed in the recycle bin they may not get recycled but at least they have a chance and it's so easy to do.  I can't imagine tossing glass or aluminum in the trash.  Blows my mind.

Apparently "single-stream" recycling is a major culprit for why more stuff is supposedly being "recycled" and why less stuff actually is getting recycled:

I never see that anymore. But most public trash cans here now have this ledge that you place the cans and bottles in - they're usually picked up by panhandlers then. If they don't have one of those, people normally leave bottles or cans on top of it or at the base of it. We all know in Vancouver that someone will be along right away to pick them up and take them to a return-it depot!
    At work - campus wide - they removed all regular wastebaskets from workspaces, and now have these things where it's just a recycling bin for paper, with a tiny black garbage pail hooked to the side of it. They're meant to deter people from ever throwing any food scraps in the garbage or anything. Since they only empty these tiny little pails once a week at most now, people can't put anything that would rot in there, or much of anything else because of the size. People are expected to carry anything organic to these central recycling and composting stations that we have in each department. I know a lot of people were pissed about these things, but they certainly work. It's a good example of forcing change.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I never see that anymore. But most public trash cans here now have this ledge that you place the cans and bottles in - they're usually picked up by panhandlers then. If they don't have one of those, people normally leave bottles or cans on top of it or at the base of it. We all know in Vancouver that someone will be along right away to pick them up and take them to a return-it depot!
    At work - campus wide - they removed all regular wastebaskets from workspaces, and now have these things where it's just a recycling bin for paper, with a tiny black garbage pail hooked to the side of it. They're meant to deter people from ever throwing any food scraps in the garbage or anything. Since they only empty these tiny little pails once a week at most now, people can't put anything that would rot in there, or much of anything else because of the size. People are expected to carry anything organic to these central recycling and composting stations that we have in each department. I know a lot of people were pissed about these things, but they certainly work. It's a good example of forcing change.

I would be surprised if a single aluminum can makes it through to the landfill where I live. Yes, some people leave them out for people to collect, but binners still dig through all the trash cans and bins. People do this for hours a day, day after day. Most things with some immediate value get taken.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I would be surprised if a single aluminum can makes it through to the landfill where I live. Yes, some people leave them out for people to collect, but binners still dig through all the trash cans and bins. People do this for hours a day, day after day. Most things with some immediate value get taken.
    Yeah, for sure. I agree that nothing that you can get any money out of is ending up in landfills here.

I do have a huge complaint about recycling habits of individuals where I live though. I think most people are at least recycling paper, cardboard, and containers, because those big blue bins are right there, and even easier than taking anything to the garbage bins. But FFS, almost everyone puts plastic bags full of their cans and bottles into the bins instead of emptying them in there. I've read that they won't even open these bags, so actually almost all of my building's recycling apparently gets trashed at the recycling centre anyhow! And the thing is, nobody knows it. I'm sure that if there was a communications/education campaign about things like this, people would totally make changes. So really a LOT of responsibility here lies with the local governments. They should be FULLY informing people about details like this. Most people just don't know any better. Same when it comes to what you can't recycle (black plastic for example), and the fact that you actually MUST clean your recyclables, that plastic coated or shiny cardboard (which should be illegal in packaging anyhow, excluding liquid products) should not go in the cardboard bins, etc etc. The majority just has no clue what is right or wrong.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    North America outsources everything, jobs and our garbage.  I remember Toronto at one time was shipping their garbage to Michigan...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    my2hands said:

Yes ofc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    my2hands said:

Yes ofc.

Is that sarcasm?

IMO too many guns and fake worship.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    my2hands said:

Yes ofc.

Is that sarcasm?

IMO too many guns and fake worship.
    You must not have read much of this thread.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited March 2019
    Nikki Haley is like some of you "living-in-a-bubble-of-nationalism-bald-eagles-and-lies"-people in here. Isn't that swell:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    is canada the greatest country in the world? OH CANADA
  • Options
    If we had a public education system that produced people capable of posting grammatically flawed and kinda weird posts like this... I’d say, “Not a chance.”
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    If we had a public education system that produced people capable of posting grammatically flawed and kinda weird posts like this... I’d say, “Not a chance.”
    so you're the best. 
  • Options
    so you're the best. 
    I’m not sure how one could ever establish such a thing, but if you say so... then thanks I guess!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    so you're the best. 
    I’m not sure how one could ever establish such a thing, but if you say so... then thanks I guess!
    you'll never be sure.  you're welcome, don't guess.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    so you're the best. 
    Your weather sucks. No way you can be number one. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    so you're the best. 

Being from California, I could almost agree with that.  But California today sucks because what most people call "good weather" attracted too many people and then the place turned to worms.  So in that case, an argument could be made for inclement weather making for better places.

And just what is "good" weather?  Everyone around here is complaining about all the "bad weather" we've had here this winter (I've measured just over 70 inches of rain in my yard here so far) so I'm thinking this is one of the best California winters of my life!

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    so you're the best. 

What's wrong with our weather?  Wait 5 minutes and it'll change.  We can also get all 4 seasons in the same 24 hour period...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.