Record Store Day 2019

FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
Not sure about you guys but my local record store (in the UK) has now listed what they have ordered for RSD. They have a few things on my want list like the Blood on the Tracks alternative but no Pearl Jam and no R.E.M LP and only 1 copy of the Ramones record. 

I'm probably going to pass this year. Don't usually have a problem finding stuff later.

I guess I should have gone in and asked them to order but I didnt really want to ask the middle-aged woman behind the counter for Bingo Hand Job.

I'm wondering if the Pearl Jam record is pressed exclusively in the US hence the crazy UK prices I've seen for it, not only does it out off customers it puts off the stores having to buy it in.

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    With PJ printing 9000 copies of a partial show I'm sure that there will be PLENTY of these to go around.

I will gladly be sleeping in again this year.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Not one to line up, but I will definitely go in for leftovers. Short list for me:

Saucerful of Secrets mono
    The Crow soundtrack
    Live From WTF

I'll probably wait to see what the 10C offers for Easy Street.
  • DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    Thought I read the breakdown was 6000 US/ 3000 Europe... 
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    That right.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Green Day, REM, Pearl Jam and The Crow. Those are my big wants. Gonna be first in line again this year!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I'm not sure what is about RSD but we only have only local store that does it right.   IE they do a pretty good  at ordering, get in a fair number of copies (unless the item is super rare) and even if your a bit back in the line (ie got there 30 minutes before it opened) you end up doing all right.

Then there's the other stores in town.   They often show up on the RSD Canada list but don't really do RSD.   Some of them are RSD's list and don't order anything.   One store orders stuff, but get's the crummy leftover a month after RSD.  They're all euro presses too, so I have no idea who they order from.

Basically I'm suggesting you see if any other stores in your area support RSD and see if they're doing it better? :)
  • joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    Gonna be my first time doing RSD, hoping to score PJ, R.E.M., and super excited about Frank Black- Teenager of the Year (IMO as good as any Pixies album)
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    joe159 said:
    Gonna be my first time doing RSD, hoping to score PJ, R.E.M., and super excited about Frank Black- Teenager of the Year (IMO as good as any Pixies album)
    Line up early. Imo its worth it. Best chance to get what you want. Have fun!!! Good luck.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I'll be looking for three:

1. PJ - Live at Easy Street
    2. In the Garage: Live Music from WTF with Marc Maron
    3. Tedeschi Trucks Band - High and Mighty
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    Loujoe said:
    joe159 said:
    Line up early. Imo its worth it. Best chance to get what you want. Have fun!!! Good luck.
    Don't bother lining up early, they produce so many of everything now it'll be there when you wake.

If not just pay $10 more online rather than wasting time in a damn line.

That's just me though.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    ^^^Yeah. I'm a sucker for getting up early. Beats waking up to walk the dogs & my joint gives 
     out posters and other junk...I dont need...hmmmm
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Expensive day for me:

B-52s
    Chic
    CSNY
    The Doors
    Golden Earring
    Green River
    Kristin Hersh
    Janis Joplin
    Mission of Burma
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    The Ramones
    Otis Redding (Monterrey Pop!)
    Violent Femmes
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited March 2019
    I went to so many stores looking for Boxer last year that I sigh and wonder if I should give RSD another try this year.  I had friends looking for it, too. There were even friends from out of state on the hunt.  One of us managed to snag one. That one of us was not me, but the files were shared so that works. 

PJ, REM.  Those are the two I'm looking for, but as with Boxer, I won't die without them. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited March 2019
    I looked at the list again for probably the 5th time... Personally, there’s an awful lot of trash being put out.  

Who is buying the soundtrack to Coneheads? Did some wank at a record label wake up one morning and was like “You know what be the cat’s ass to spin on my turntable this morning... The motherfucking Coneheads soundtrack! Press it!”

I know that stuff really pisses off some of the smaller record stores. They have to buy that shit in order to get the more in demand stuff. They want five copies of Pearl Jam’s release, but they have to buy 15 copies of coneheads to get them.

My list is short: 
    - Grateful Dead - Warfield

Maybe list:
    - Pearl Jam (will grab one if it’s sitting there)
    - Sly & the Family

Just to be an ass:
    - Any of the goofy 3” records to immediately flip on eBay. Mainly because it’s dumb, a waste of petroleum and paper, and people are going to be going bananas for them. I’ll let those folks pay for my records.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I looked at the list again for probably the 5th time... Personally, there’s an awful lot of trash being put out.  

Who is buying the soundtrack to Coneheads? Did some wank at a record label wake up one morning and was like “You know what be the cat’s ass to spin on my turntable this morning... The motherfucking Coneheads soundtrack! Press it!”

I know that stuff really pisses off some of the smaller record stores. They have to buy that shit in order to get the more in demand stuff. They want five copies of Pearl Jam’s release, but they have to buy 15 copies of coneheads to get them.

My list is short: 

Maybe list:
    - Sly & the Family

Just to be an ass:
    - Any of the goofy 3” records to immediately flip on eBay. Mainly because it’s dumb, a waste of petroleum and paper, and people are going to be going bananas for them. I’ll let those folks pay for my records.
    Coneheads soundtrack has Chili Peppers, REM, BNL, Paul Simon, etc. 90s soundtracks were definitely a thing and it looks like a few are being released. I'm stoked for The Crow.
    pjl44 said:

My list is short: 

Maybe list:
    - Sly & the Family

Just to be an ass:
    Coneheads soundtrack has Chili Peppers, REM, BNL, Paul Simon, etc. 90s soundtracks were definitely a thing and it looks like a few are being released. I'm stoked for The Crow.
    My fav Peppers song of all time is on that record.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    pjl44 said:

My list is short: 

Maybe list:
    - Sly & the Family

Just to be an ass:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I bought the Coneheads soundtrack for "Soul to Squeeze" back in the day and was pleasantly surprised by some of the other tracks on it. I've never even seen the film.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    pjl44 said:

My list is short: 

Maybe list:
    - Sly & the Family

Just to be an ass:
    My fav Peppers song of all time is on that record.
    But yes, lots of crap being made too.

Need to cash in on vinyl now!
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    The Crow soundtrack is fantastic!!! I still play it on the regular. I dont think theres a bad song on it.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I'll be sleeping in. I submitted my request list to my old store in Madison, and if anything is left over after Saturday that is on my list they'll ship it to me. I'd really like to get my hands on the Seven Mary Three, but with 600 pressed I'm not too hopeful.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Completely struck out this morning. I was only really looking for PJ Easy Street, CSNY 4 Way Street, and Bingo Handjob - my local store only had a few copies of each and I missed them all
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    goldrush said:
    Completely struck out this morning. I was only really looking for PJ Easy Street, CSNY 4 Way Street, and Bingo Handjob - my local store only had a few copies of each and I missed them all
    Huh?  Where do you live? Most record stores aren’t even open yet. I’m on line now and still have a few hours before they open.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 383
    If someone finds an extra „I am Sam“ OST and is willing to ship it to Europe, I would be very grateful. Unfortunately, this is exclusively available in the US and not in Europe. PMs are most welcome. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    goldrush said:
    Huh?  Where do you live? Most record stores aren’t even open yet. I’m on line now and still have a few hours before they open.
    Sydney, Australia. It's already 8pm on Saturday evening here :smiley:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    Sydney, Australia. It's already 8pm on Saturday evening here :smiley:
    Oh wow, cool. Didn’t think record store was a “thing” in Australia. Thought it was just a North America thing.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anyone see the Tweedy record?
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I wandered in at 11am to my local, more left over than I've ever seen before but very little I was interested in. They had loads of Bowie, Elvis and Stones. I left with the Joe Strummer 12", not quite sure why I bought it, expensive for what it is. I bought the R.E.M live record last week online and so only PJ, Ramones, Modest Mouse and the blood on the tracks LP to find at a later date.
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    FR181798 said:
    I wandered in at 11am to my local, more left over than I've ever seen before but very little I was interested in. They had loads of Bowie, Elvis and Stones. I left with the Joe Strummer 12", not quite sure why I bought it, expensive for what it is. I bought the R.E.M live record last week online and so only PJ, Ramones, Modest Mouse and the blood on the tracks LP to find at a later date.
    If you're like me, you got it because it's Joe.

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Got hooked up with PJ,  Flaming Lips & Jeff Buckley  =)=)
    Still on the lookout for Jerry Garcia & The Crow if anyone has a lead?? 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    I got in line around 5:30 AM and there were about 15 people ahead of me. I know they got like 6 PJ vinyls in so I thought i was good to go.
    Here's what i got:
    Pearl Jam- Live at Easy Street
    Green River- Live at the Tropicana
    Green Day- Woodstock '94
    Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm in Love with My Car

Non Record store day stuff:
    Strand of Oaks- Eraserland (cd)
    and my biggest find was a Pearl Jam bootleg from '03 tour in the used cd section (Pitts. Apr. 26) :smiley:

Only one I didn't get that I wanted was The Crow soundtrack

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD