Options

What happened to the guy who sued Ticketmaster???

1235»

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJ_Soul said:
    Someone said it was well below market value = bargain. They said it because they think we should be looking at scalper prices as a measuring stick. And yes, others said that these are common price levels. 
    I don't blame Eddie. I blame the fans for these stupid prices. I wish people demanded better for themselves and everyone else. They won't. I just wish they would.
    Spot on. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,883
    This is the first time I've looked at Pearl Jam related ticket prices and thought it wasn't worth it. And I don't think Ed's show is worth that price.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Someone said it was well below market value = bargain. They said it because they think we should be looking at scalper prices as a measuring stick. And yes, others said that these are common price levels. 
    I don't blame Eddie. I blame the fans for these stupid prices. I wish people demanded better for themselves and everyone else. They won't. I just wish they would.
    well looking at scalper prices to determine actual ticket cost is ludicrous to me (I don't recall that comment), as only a small fraction of people will pay that. mostly because they can afford it, not because they are willing to go into debt for the show. 

the other thing is, the other artists you mentioned, they toured way more regularly than Ed did/does. Cornell would do a full tour, same with Petty, which obviously has an effect on demand. not only how many dates, but how often their tour cycles were. this has a significant effect on the price. neil young puts out a freaking album every 6 months and then tours behind it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wish I had the 1995 Spin Magazine interview in front of me because he had some quote in there about shuddering to think what it would be like to only play in front of people that could afford $80 tickets ($132 today). I'll have to check it out later when I get home and see if I got the quote right.
    there's also no way he could have predicted how the industry has massively evolved/devolved since then. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't know wtf shows some of you are seeing so that tickets regularly cost $150+ USD, and that you actually see that as a bargain, but that is not my experience at all. I get TONS of great concert tix for far less than that. Hell, I got Neil Young tickets for far less than that. And NIN. And Chris Cornell. And Ben Folds. And Tom Petty. And The National. Etc etc ... FFS, the only time I have EVER paid that much or more for a concert ticket is for Paul McCartney. Elton John tix are also that much... Eddie Vedder solo, as much as I love him, isn't anywhere close to that level, so I don't know why his tix are that pricey. I would expect EV's tix to start at maybe $60 USD, and go up to perhaps $150 USD only for the most expensive seats in the house. I have no problem with $150+ USD Eddie Vedder tickets as long as they are premium tickets. There should always be a good spread of prices IMO. I am super pro graduated pricing... But EV's top level pricing is WAY too high for his act. Did I see that it was over $300??? That is ridiculous to me. But hey, yeah, there are surprisingly people willing to pay that. There is no way in hell I would. To each their own I guess, but it really sucks that some fans are so willing to be suckered out of so much money, because it ruins the market for everyone.
    But of course I agree nobody should be expecting low low ticket prices of yesterday. Even if it weren't for the suckers... inflation is real either way.
    No one is being suckered. People know the show, are seeing the price, and making their decision. $150 or so is too much for me, but I hold no ill will toward those who think it's worth it. 
    Okay, pick another word for people who willingly compete with each other to find out who will pay the most ridiculous price for a concert ticket, without setting a cap on it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fans are definitely to blame because fans buy scalper prices in desperation.  Maybe not us here, but plenty people out there do, which makes it the measuring stick at that point. Market will always be based on how much people are really willing to pay. Except now, scalpers aren't the ones out there asking that.. It's EV by raising his prices.  Which I think is just fair. It's his shows and and it's not like we can't just say no. Same with merch. In terms of demanding though, there's no need for that IMO. Just simply don't go. That's enough. No one is holding a gun to our heads to buy tickets. Problem is, people act like the ground will open and take them alive if they don't get to go to a concert. A concert. But again everyone has different views I guess..
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2019
    I love graduated pricing... helps beat the bots and scalpers....

I've paid $200+ to sit first 5 rows for Neil Young solo with graduated seating multiple times......... also paid less than $100 for amazing GA tix to see him with Crazy Horse and POTR

I have also seen EV solo several times, and loved it, in old small theaters and opera houses that barely fit 2,000...... i was at both shows in DC for the EV DVD taping..... loved seeing him in the intimate setting... but that was 10 years ago now, when he actually released music

But guess what, Eddie ain't Neil Young, and his current show is essentially the same exact show that it was 10 years ago when he taped that DVD...... so yeah, not impressed with $165 per ticket, especially at larger arena like venues.... but i'm not worried about it, because i'm not going... cant even imagine getting on a plane to another continent to see EV solo
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I keep seeing this "$165 per ticket" being thrown around.  Other than Amsterdam & Brussels,  the remaining 67% of shows are in the $119-137 range. Still a bit steep more in line with typical show prices.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,057
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't know wtf shows some of you are seeing so that tickets regularly cost $150+ USD, and that you actually see that as a bargain, but that is not my experience at all. I get TONS of great concert tix for far less than that. Hell, I got Neil Young tickets for far less than that. And NIN. And Chris Cornell. And Ben Folds. And Tom Petty. And The National. Etc etc ... FFS, the only time I have EVER paid that much or more for a concert ticket is for Paul McCartney. Elton John tix are also that much... Eddie Vedder solo, as much as I love him, isn't anywhere close to that level, so I don't know why his tix are that pricey. I would expect EV's tix to start at maybe $60 USD, and go up to perhaps $150 USD only for the most expensive seats in the house. I have no problem with $150+ USD Eddie Vedder tickets as long as they are premium tickets. There should always be a good spread of prices IMO. I am super pro graduated pricing... But EV's top level pricing is WAY too high for his act. Did I see that it was over $300??? That is ridiculous to me. But hey, yeah, there are surprisingly people willing to pay that. There is no way in hell I would. To each their own I guess, but it really sucks that some fans are so willing to be suckered out of so much money, because it ruins the market for everyone.
    But of course I agree nobody should be expecting low low ticket prices of yesterday. Even if it weren't for the suckers... inflation is real either way.
    No one is being suckered. People know the show, are seeing the price, and making their decision. $150 or so is too much for me, but I hold no ill will toward those who think it's worth it. 
    Okay, pick another word for people who willingly compete with each other to find out who will pay the most ridiculous price for a concert ticket, without setting a cap on it.
    Why? I couldn't care less if someone wants to pay more than me. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I see a lot of mention of the covers... i love the ev covers myself, the more the better... Ed's Millworker is a masterpiece.... also love hearing stripped down pj songs, although Porch is a bit played out and can do without 

Before he tours the US again and i go see him i really hope he releases a new record, keeps the tour in smaller venues,  and the tickets below $100.... i would glady see multiple shows 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    I was just thinking this morning that maybe one of the reasons ticket prices are so high is because of the amount of taxes taken out in each country. I know those taxes are a lot higher in Europe compared to the us. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......