America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    There are several reasons it wouldn't happen, but the biggest one is cost. I rarely hear anyone talk about the cost of a buyback program. If it is not voluntary, but mandatory then it isn't right to only offer $100 a gun, it would have to be the fair market value. And it is not uncommon for guns to cost $1000 or more. The $5.5 billion that many laughed at to build the wall is probably what a buyback program would cost. Who here wants to donate a ten thousands dollars to support this?
    Statistics show that about 43% of American households have at least one gun and I'm guessing that's low.  So think about how many people would have to be hired to go out and confiscate all those guns.  Basically half the country would be confiscating guns from the other half and nothing else would get done. 

So the logical thing to do is to start by banning assault rifles and then, even more importantly, work on making life better (and by better I don't mean just being able to buy more stuff) so that people will be happier and feel safer and then maybe opt not to buy yet another goddamn gun in the first place. 
    Would the half that gets to confiscate the guns get danger pay.  I can not imagine what could go wrong by trying to confiscate guns from people that have plenty of ammo and are pissed that they are having their guns confiscated...lol
    I guess the trick is to just ask nicely.

Seriously though, there are just too many gun owners who literally see it as their God-given right to possess fire arms and most of whom are no way just going to hand over their fire arms.  No, the answer is very complicated and complex- more education, build safer communities, stronger background checks and registration including gun safety courses, banning of automatic weapons.  Even just one of those is a big goal.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this gun issue will ever be resolved. 
    That is so true.  That's why disarming them is not a real feasible goal.  Tougher gun laws would be a start, better background checks.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    There are several reasons it wouldn't happen, but the biggest one is cost. I rarely hear anyone talk about the cost of a buyback program. If it is not voluntary, but mandatory then it isn't right to only offer $100 a gun, it would have to be the fair market value. And it is not uncommon for guns to cost $1000 or more. The $5.5 billion that many laughed at to build the wall is probably what a buyback program would cost. Who here wants to donate a ten thousands dollars to support this?
    Statistics show that about 43% of American households have at least one gun and I'm guessing that's low.  So think about how many people would have to be hired to go out and confiscate all those guns.  Basically half the country would be confiscating guns from the other half and nothing else would get done. 

So the logical thing to do is to start by banning assault rifles and then, even more importantly, work on making life better (and by better I don't mean just being able to buy more stuff) so that people will be happier and feel safer and then maybe opt not to buy yet another goddamn gun in the first place. 
    Would the half that gets to confiscate the guns get danger pay.  I can not imagine what could go wrong by trying to confiscate guns from people that have plenty of ammo and are pissed that they are having their guns confiscated...lol

Seriously though, there are just too many gun owners who literally see it as their God-given right to possess fire arms and most of whom are no way just going to hand over their fire arms.  No, the answer is very complicated and complex- more education, build safer communities, stronger background checks and registration including gun safety courses, banning of automatic weapons.  Even just one of those is a big goal.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this gun issue will ever be resolved. 
    That is so true.  That's why disarming them is not a real feasible goal.  Tougher gun laws would be a start, better background checks.  
    Background checks is a hot talking point.

What should a background check consist of?  

What would you like to see done?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Thank god the Baffoon declared a made up national emergency ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    It is not made up
    There is an invasion at the southern border.
    Caravans of criminals and terrorists and diseases and ms13
    OH MY
    It is not made up
    There is an invasion at the southern border.
    Caravans of criminals and terrorists and diseases and ms13
    OH MY
    Wait, you mean they aren't vaccinated?

Build the wall!!!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

In Canada, you must take a firearms safety course and pass before purchasing unrestricted firearms.  You must also take a hunters safety course before you can hunt legally.

Firearms Safety Training

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/index-eng.htm

You can own restricted weapons, but 1st must apply for a restricted weapons permit, and if you get restricted weapons permit, the rules involved in transporting your gun are stiff.  Upon purchasing your restricted weapon, you would be placed on the restricted weapons registry.

Canadian Firearms Registry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

And all guns must be in the locked cabinet and stored separately from the ammo.

Once again this does nothing to stop the criminal, and we have our fair share of gun crime.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

In Canada, you must take a firearms safety course and pass before purchasing unrestricted firearms.  You must also take a hunters safety course before you can hunt legally.

Firearms Safety Training

You can own restricted weapons, but 1st must apply for a restricted weapons permit, and if you get restricted weapons permit, the rules involved in transporting your gun are stiff.  Upon purchasing your restricted weapon, you would be placed on the restricted weapons registry.

Once again this does nothing to stop the criminal, and we have our fair share of gun crime.
    I have no problem with any of these.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

I think the system works well.  We had a long gun registry at one point as well, that was scrapped by the previous government.  The long gun registry.  It was a disaster financially and only sought to inconvenience farmers and hunters...some have pegged the final cost at some 2 billion.

Good luck to the US if you guys try that. 

Canada Tried Registering Long Guns -- And Gave Up

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/01/22/canada-tried-registering-long-guns-and-gave-up/#3bff51b75a1b

Lost in the discussion: Canada tried it and gave up, discovering like several other nations that attempting to identify every gun in the country is an expensive and ultimately unproductive exercise. Criminals, of course, don't register their guns. And even law-abiding citizens tend to ignore registration when it comes to long guns mostly used for hunting and target shooting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

fine with it except this.

Not sure if a shotgun would fall under this rule but I'd take issue with this.
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    The stored separately from ammo rule. I can't imagine why that would be an issue... I guess home protection??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    The stored separately from ammo rule. I can't imagine why that would be an issue... I guess home protection??
    I honestly don't see the point. I mean, if I have a big safe for guns, why not store ammo there too? Why put it in a place that is easier to get than some place secure enough for guns?
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    I see.  I do not see an issue with that rule, however, I suspect many farmers ignore that rule...in their case, it's for predator control...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    Oh yeah I don’t agree with that one either.  Otherwise I really like the training part. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited March 2019
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    I honestly don't see the point. I mean, if I have a big safe for guns, why not store ammo there too? Why put it in a place that is easier to get than some place secure enough for guns?
    I think the point is that if a kid finds one or the other (yes, kids will figure out ways to get into locked things sometimes), everything's fine - no harm done. But if they are stored together, the chances of something bad happening go way up.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  
    I think the point is that if a kid finds one or the other (yes, kids will figure out ways to get into locked things sometimes), everything's fine - no harm done. But if they are stored together, the chances of something bad happening go way up.
    A good safe, not a cabinet, a safe, has an additional lock box for ammo.

A good safe also has a combination that your kid doesn't need to know.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  

I know that. But kids find shit out sometimes, and not all parents are as careful as others. It's all just about risk prevention.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  

it's just like having an alarm system for your home. in addition to the locks on the doors. just added security. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

I know that. But kids find shit out sometimes, and not all parents are as careful as others. It's all just about risk prevention.
    PJ_Soul said:

it's just like having an alarm system for your home. in addition to the locks on the doors. just added security. 
    If kids get in to shit then putting it in 2 different places isn't going to matter.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

If kids get in to shit then putting it in 2 different places isn't going to matter.

by that logic I should set my home alarm but leave my door unlocked. of course it will matter. two lines of defense! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I get that it makes sense in some cases. There are some very weak and flimsy gun cabinets out there that could be easily broken into. But for me, I have a safe that is extremely difficult to break in to, I would say nearly impossible for a teenager and younger. I do not have the room or money to have a separate one just for ammo. So my two options are to store them together in a place that would require a professional to break into, with a  lot of time and power tools, or store the ammo separately in a less secure location.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

I am a Canadian.  

Firearms Safety Training

What rule?  

I believe in Canada ammo cannot even be in the same room as the gun.  The idea behind that is to hopefully allow a person who is grabbing his gun in anger a few minutes to cool down and hopefully think before acting.  Only a fool sleeps in a house with a loaded weapon and ammo nearby.  I'm sure most of us have lost their cool, maybe got in a heated argument with a neighbour...well in Canada we generally never need to worry about a gun being involved...I'll takes that any day over a shooting incident because of someone blowing snow on someone's yard.

That's why America will always have gun violence.  You resist common sense solutions.  Where the fuck does most of you live that you need a gun in your nightstand?  Fuck I go to bed most nights with my door unlocked...

And anyone who enjoys hunting is not being denied the opportunity.  We are making it hard for people who would not normally commit gun violence from acting based on emotions.  The guns laws work in Canada, I worked with plenty of hunters...none I talked to worried about the gun laws...we just have a different mentality than Americans.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I believe in Canada ammo cannot even be in the same room as the gun.  The idea behind that is to hopefully allow a person who is grabbing his gun in anger a few minutes to cool down and hopefully think before acting.  Only a fool sleeps in a house with a loaded weapon and ammo nearby.  I'm sure most of us have lost their cool, maybe got in a heated argument with a neighbour...well in Canada we generally never need to worry about a gun being involved...I'll takes that any day over a shooting incident because of someone blowing snow on someone's yard.

That's why America will always have gun violence.  You resist common sense solutions.  Where the fuck does most of you live that you need a gun in your nightstand?  Fuck I go to bed most nights with my door unlocked...

And anyone who enjoys hunting is not being denied the opportunity.  We are making it hard for people who would not normally commit gun violence from acting based on emotions.  The guns laws work in Canada, I worked with plenty of hunters...none I talked to worried about the gun laws...we just have a different mentality than Americans.  
    I have no problem locking up a gun in a safe, right next to the ammo.

Nothing wrong with that.

Locking up ammo in another room?  Silly.
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing wrong with that.

Not so silly when you compare gun violence and accident statistics.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing wrong with that.

I agree.  But I've said it before, there are no other people on this earth as paranoid as the average American.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    With the exception of hunting accidents, 100% of all other gun accidents result from not obeying the first most basic rule of gun safety- always assume a gun is loaded. Locking up ammo in an underground bunker in your backyard won't protect people from accidents who don't follow that rule.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes it is.  Locked in a safe =safe.

Not locked in a safe=problems.

A locked up gun is hard pressed to cause violence or accidents.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    I get that it makes sense in some cases. There are some very weak and flimsy gun cabinets out there that could be easily broken into. But for me, I have a safe that is extremely difficult to break in to, I would say nearly impossible for a teenager and younger. I do not have the room or money to have a separate one just for ammo. So my two options are to store them together in a place that would require a professional to break into, with a  lot of time and power tools, or store the ammo separately in a less secure location.

And the counter argument to that, of course, is if gun safety is really a priority then that comes first. No one should purchase guns and then claim not to have the money or the room to safely store them. You get the safe storage options in place first, or you don't get the guns. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mace1229 said:
    With the exception of hunting accidents, 100% of all other gun accidents result from not obeying the first most basic rule of gun safety- always assume a gun is loaded. Locking up ammo in an underground bunker in your backyard won't protect people from accidents who don't follow that rule.

The idea by separating ammo from the gun is to allow a little cool down as to avoid someone grabbing the gun and using it during a heated dispute.  It also allows the other party in the dispute a head start to get away when they see the person grab the gun...nothing wrong with the law.  Americans need to change their mentality...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes it is.  Locked in a safe =safe.

Not locked in a safe=problems.

A locked up gun is hard pressed to cause violence or accidents.
    Forgive me if I don't feel inclined to really listen to Americans when it comes to effective gun laws.
This discussion has been closed.