What happened to the guy who sued Ticketmaster???

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I think it is a shock for many of us to see prices this high. My first show in 1998 was $28, and remained under $100 until 2016 maybe. SO it is a little sticker shock, but those pointing out prices of other artists are right. Another couple went to Vegas and dropped $165 each on tickets to Britney Spears. That is an act that doesn't travel and is exactly the same every night, I cant fathom spending that much on a sub-2 hour show like that. My wife wanted to go and I said no way. I mean, I don't have a desire to see her to begin with, but if it was like $40 a ticket I'd go just to go. So in the grand scheme of the music industry it isn't bad, but is still a little sticker shock for those who are used to get bargain prices.
    Pink who plays here in about a month also has tickets starting at around $160 I think. I really don't know how people sell out shows anymore, who would pay that money? its a $500 night by the time you get 2 tickets, parking and whatever other fees. Add another $100 if you have to get a babysitter or want to get a few drinks. It shocks me every time these artists sell out.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Mosh Pits?

I just want to sit in my seat, and eat some popcorn. Hoping and praying the person sitting next to me doesn't start the conversation with...."So whats your 10 club number?"

They most likely often use the term.....please forgive me for typing it.....jamily
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited March 2019
    I guess nobody here saw Bruce on Broadway. Now that was a crazy ticket price. $500-850 per ticket for lower level, and it sold out every night. 
    Edit: And he did over 200 shows.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    eddiec said:
    I guess nobody here saw Bruce on Broadway. Now that was a crazy ticket price. $500-850 per ticket for lower level, and it sold out every night. 
    I saw it
    Paid $500 face at box office morning of show.
    As lifelong Springsteen fan it was worth every penny.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    eddiec said:
    I would never pay $500 to see anything. (Sole exception would be meet in greet with pj)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    I would never pay $500 to see anything. (Sole exception would be meet in greet with pj)
    Pink Floyd reunion with Dave, Roger, and Nick. I think that's it for me. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    GV658068 said:
    Here is a list of people to blame for ticket prices....

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue
    TM for the "service fees" not the "ticket price"

That's it that's the list
    I understand but EV must have a choice right? come on... principles. I don't believe he is a slave of the market.
    all artist has a fee,..they get paid from promoter..thats all..after that promoter is in charge of everything,,promoter wants to make money 
    he ios not gonna lose money cos arftsit doesnt like the price of the tickets..
    Right
    But the artist along with management sets that fee.
    So it's up to Eddie and Kelly to decide if they want Ed to earn $50,000 per night after expenses or $250,000.
    Not up to TM.

Personally I'd pay the top price but only for 1 or 2 shows. Not for 5 or 6.
    the thing is...when u are an artist ..u building a name....so tomorrow morning pj cant say..fuck it..we put down our feee..and fans can see us live for 10 dollars per show.impossible3..they worth away more thasn that..they will sell out sadium,not a 100 people smalll club,,when will cost u 10 dollars to see aband..alsoi that means the crew will get less money..sorry but the crew if sees ther money goes down will go work somewhere else to other artist..
    exable..pj has one oif the best sound guys on the planet..Tom is epic good at his job..he can work with any band he wants..
    same rest of the crew..they change the whole stage and lits last year..those cost tons of money..only cos  was doing the homeless project they change all stage and lights cos wanted to look like mad max style..its a business,,its investment..
    plus..manager is for make u money..is for make your life as u wanted..is for make good deals..
    so no manager will go and say to the artsit...u know what..lets take less money for yor talent and your work this year and u work more and make more shows..
    not gonna happen.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    if Ian Curtis (Joy Division) and Paul Kossoff(FREE) was alive those arte the two bands i would pay that price to see live
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    Neil Young farewell tour I would pay that for. 

Maybe a reunited KISS. This year. But next year I bet I won't care.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Unless John Lennon and George Harrison are reincarnated to play a Beatles tour, I am not paying anything to see old men with petty feuds get together for a last money grab.  I'd pay $500 if someone could put me in a time machine to see Floyd in the 1970s. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

I understand but EV must have a choice right? come on... principles. I don't believe he is a slave of the market.
    all artist has a fee,..they get paid from promoter..thats all..after that promoter is in charge of everything,,promoter wants to make money 
    Right
    So it's up to Eddie and Kelly to decide if they want Ed to earn $50,000 per night after expenses or $250,000.
    Not up to TM.

the thing is...when u are an artist ..u building a name....so tomorrow morning pj cant say..fuck it..we put down our feee..and fans can see us live for 10 dollars per show.impossible3..they worth away more thasn that..they will sell out sadium,not a 100 people smalll club,,when will cost u 10 dollars to see aband..alsoi that means the crew will get less money..sorry but the crew if sees ther money goes down will go work somewhere else to other artist..
    exable..pj has one oif the best sound guys on the planet..Tom is epic good at his job..he can work with any band he wants..
    same rest of the crew..they change the whole stage and lits last year..those cost tons of money..only cos  was doing the homeless project they change all stage and lights cos wanted to look like mad max style..its a business,,its investment..
    plus..manager is for make u money..is for make your life as u wanted..is for make good deals..
    so no manager will go and say to the artsit...u know what..lets take less money for yor talent and your work this year and u work more and make more shows..
    not gonna happen.
    You're absolutely right.

But there are people on here who don't get that
    This isn't Fugazi
    This isnt 1995
    And this isn't  a new band happy to play for 50 people at $5 a head.

It's a corporation
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    EV is charging Pearl Jam prices. To me it’s a bit expensive for just him. Especially with no new music. 
    Will I still go? Probably. Still undecided. Dublin 2017 was good with the exception of that poem. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • NormanNorman Posts: 109
    The drop in the price of weed has more than made up for the rise in ticket prices. Let’s just be happy weed doesn’t come around just once every 2-3 years. 
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Suuuuuuuuure. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

Right
    Not up to TM.

not gonna happen.
    You're absolutely right.

This isn't Fugazi
    This isnt 1995

It's a corporation
        exactly..and ill tell u when all change..the day they had the meeting and someone said the idea of PJ20..all change that day..all went up high profecional..they change all that day the way band tour,way band make choices,way fan club works,the whole pj business..
    Norman said:
    The drop in the price of weed has more than made up for the rise in ticket prices. Let’s just be happy weed doesn’t come around just once every 2-3 years. 
    Related image

GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

Right
    Not up to TM.

not gonna happen.
    You're absolutely right.

This isn't Fugazi
    This isnt 1995

It's a corporation
    All valid points, but it doesn't change the fact that certain aspects of their point of view have aged rather poorly.  

Ultimately I don't buy the whole stage show argument at all. Not the idea that crew doesn't need to be paid, of course they need to be paid it is their livelihood.  But putting on all the bells and whistles etc and saying it "costs money", can't recall a time I talked to fan that said you know what this pj show needs, is more special effects. That was a choice, not something that was a need.   As far as an Ed show, ain't none of that happening, so it is not the extra doodads that are driving those prices up.  That is a conscious decision on the artists part, and that is okay, because that is their right.  None of us are obligated to see him or them or anyone.  

PB11041 said:
    GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

Right
    Not up to TM.

not gonna happen.
    You're absolutely right.

This isn't Fugazi
    This isnt 1995

It's a corporation
    All valid points, but it doesn't change the fact that certain aspects of their point of view have aged rather poorly.  

Ultimately I don't buy the whole stage show argument at all. Not the idea that crew doesn't need to be paid, of course they need to be paid it is their livelihood.  But putting on all the bells and whistles etc and saying it "costs money", can't recall a time I talked to fan that said you know what this pj show needs, is more special effects. That was a choice, not something that was a need.   As far as an Ed show, ain't none of that happening, so it is not the extra doodads that are driving those prices up.  That is a conscious decision on the artists part, and that is okay, because that is their right.  None of us are obligated to see him or them or anyone.  

Exactly
    And rarely does anyone have the same point of view and beliefs at 55 that they had at 25.
    I know I don't. 
    People age, grow, change. Sometimes for better and sometimes not.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    How much was (insert anything here) in 1995. Why is it 4x more now? Same reason you’re making 4x more money than you were back then.

i remember when a dime bag only cost a dime 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I don't see how Ed charging so much more in 2019 than Pearl Jam did in 2018 is really defensible. It isn't about 1995. It's about the last few years. Selfishly, I'm glad these shows are in Europe and I'm not faced with a decision about paying these prices or not.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • GV658068GV658068 Posts: 10
    Some people are missing the point. It’s not about PJ its about EV. EV shows are 65 dollars more expensive then a PJ show.. and i don’t believe that there are more people(crew) involved in a EV show. And what do you get in a EV show? EV playing PJ songs, some covers and a few into the wild songs on a acoustic guitar in a venue that is too big for an acoustic show.?? 

Ps i’m talking about Amsterdam and probably some other european places.

i don’t know the prices in the US.
    GV658068 said:
    Some people are missing the point. It’s not about PJ its about EV. EV shows are 65 dollars more expensive then a PJ show.. and i don’t believe that there are more people(crew) involved in a EV show. And what do you get in a EV show? EV playing PJ songs, some covers and a few into the wild songs on a acoustic guitar in a venue that is too big for an acoustic show.?? 

Ps i’m talking about Amsterdam and probably some other european places.

i don’t know the prices in the US.
    actually u dont get it..other artist gets double money than eddie and play 45 minutes..
    ever saw big names ticket prices?
    plus europe and south america and australia are more expencive than usa for same artist......artsit gets paid in usa dollars..even that money lost of fees and conversion the promoter guess  from where he gets it back....from ticket prices.
    let me give u one detail. about a thing.last year pj played at same venue as eddie plays in barcelona,.pair was 244 ..eddie now is 275
    15 dollars per ticket more expensive...
    now the promoter sold 22.000 last time.at pj show.....
    u know how much time and work and money  arena of 22.000 people need to change and ut seats on the floor?who will pay for this?
    do you know how many less tickets will be sold instead of ga has seated the whole floor?
    plus these are the prices to the best seat in the house....the rest of the venue up has tickets at 60 dollars per ticket..but at pearl jam show at same venue last year was away more than that the upper section...
    things are not as mush simple that u think..
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Billy Corgan will play a solo show in Luxembourg on 21/06. The venue is rather small (1000) and the tickets are only 40 USD.
    IMO it shows that it is possible to tour with decent tickets price.
    My guess is that Eddie charges a flat fee per show which explains why prices are higher in the smallest arena (Amsterdam).
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    I would pay that as well gor PJ. Haha Metallica charges $2,500 for meet and greets.  Crazy, but it seems like they are sincere with it though.  Like they shoot the shit with you and they talk to you like a human being. Bought my girl a meet and greet for Weezer and they said hi, stood next to us for a picture and we were corralled outta there. Whole thing was probably not even a minute.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Billy Corgan will play a solo show in Luxembourg on 21/06. The venue is rather small (1000) and the tickets are only 40 USD.
    My guess is that Eddie charges a flat fee per show which explains why prices are higher in the smallest arena (Amsterdam).
    Billy Corgan still hasn't sold out The Olympia in Dublin which is 1,200 seats. Eddie will sell out the 3Arena which holds 10,000 (?), so I don't know if it's the best comparison.
    How much was (insert anything here) in 1995. Why is it 4x more now? Same reason you’re making 4x more money than you were back then.

i remember when a dime bag only cost a dime 
    If a dime bag ever really cost a dime, that was schmeg weed.  

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I think that's a demand issue. Billy and Ed aren't remotely on the same level in 2019.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 742
    I assume he is putting together more of a "show" than he did at Innings Fest? I am not sure a man with a uke really translates in a 20000 arena.

One thing to consider. Maybe $165 is his minimum price to pack his stuff up and do these shows? Anything less and he doesn't bother and nobody see him.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited March 2019
    I would guess Glen Hansard do not play for nothing or pay-to-play like some bands. He's able to tour Europe ny himself, so I guess he gets a bit more cash than the "usual" opener who plays for exposure?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com