Latest update from Mike on new Pearl Jam music

Comments

• SCHSCH Easton CT Posts: 59
    I stand corrected in that I have not been taken advantage of.  But it certainly appears they are set on cashing in.  And it certainly appears they are not very interesting in being a band or offering any new creative output to their loyal and dedicated fan base.  The live show have grown stale, too many covers etc, no new material. The experience of being a fan has therefore changed, as there is nothing new to look forward to from them and seemingly nothing even in the pipe based on what MC said yesterday.  It was a great run and a great first 25 years. I greatly appreciate their entire catalog and everything they have meant to me along the way.  Things have changed, something is obviously just wrong with this band and as a result this has become a very different experience in the view of a long time hard core fan, me.  I guess it is just time to move on and have no expectations anymore, and it they release something some day that would be great.....
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    SCH said:
    I stand corrected in that I have not been taken advantage of.  But it certainly appears they are set on cashing in.  And it certainly appears they are not very interesting in being a band or offering any new creative output to their loyal and dedicated fan base.  The live show have grown stale, too many covers etc, no new material. The experience of being a fan has therefore changed, as there is nothing new to look forward to from them and seemingly nothing even in the pipe based on what MC said yesterday.  It was a great run and a great first 25 years. I greatly appreciate their entire catalog and everything they have meant to me along the way.  Things have changed, something is obviously just wrong with this band and as a result this has become a very different experience in the view of a long time hard core fan, me.  I guess it is just time to move on and have no expectations anymore, and it they release something some day that would be great.....
    Pearl Jam is 80% retired.  Nothing left to say.  Just lower the expectations.  A band that doesn't make music is not much of a band to follow closely. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    SCH said:
    Pearl Jam is 80% retired.  Nothing left to say.  Just lower the expectations.  A band that doesn't make music is not much of a band to follow closely. 
    But I want to here HTI and Parting Ways live still.... 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJNB said:
    SCH said:
    haha,,im wioth u in parting ways
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    SCH said:
    Amazing song live!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    SCH said:
    The monetizing of Pearl Jam happened a long time ago.  Probably around the time the website changed.  The 10C, the site, the merch, just became to big to manage internally and they were missing out on a lot of potential revenue. They brought in professionals that run fan clubs for bands. And my guess is that they did it because the revenue generated by their publishing severely declined. I doubt Pearl Jam ever imagined that they would essentially be giving their music away. 

Pearl Jam just played a bunch of shows last year. Great shows, reminding us why they are so good. Now everybody wants to write them off because they haven't released a new record? Silly IMHO.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    SCH said:
    Amazing song live!
    I will trade you one of my two Othersides for one of your Parting Ways.... 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    SCH said:
    Amazing song live!
    No way!  Parting ways is vastly superior!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KusyKusy Posts: 345
    Consider me lucky, got Parting Ways and Other Side in '18 ;)
    2007: Chorzow, PL
    2014: Gdynia, PL
    2017: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2018: PinkPop Festival, NL; London #1, UK; Padova, ITA; Prague, CZ; Krakow, PL; Berlin; DE; London #2, UK
    2019: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    SCH said:
    Amazing song live!
    No way!  Parting ways is vastly superior!!!!
    Hey I did not say the trade was fair. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    See the source image
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    They will be back.  Maybe the current state has been done for a reason.  We as fans sometime expect too much from them.  Everything they do recently is critiqued so much these days.  Maybe “Can’t Deny Me” was put out for a reason.  To test the water so to speak.  It really got a mixed reviews and I feel that if they’re going to give us new music they want to make it worth it.  They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet.  This band has always given us 100%.  It’s music and it’s art.  To make it right and relevant  takes time sometimes.  I think they realize the past few albums were not their strongest.  In giving 100%, they want to make this next one just right.  Give them time to find themselves again.  With all the talent in this group it will be well worth the wait.  Most of us yearn for that creative and somewhat experimental part of their music to come crashing down on us like a huge wave as it has done in the past.  Let’s be patient and let that energy build to let them create that big fucking wave that will blow our fucking minds once again.  You all know it would and will be worth it.  🌊🤙
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mvw said:
     They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet. 
    Jeff was once asked about a possible No Code/Yield boxset following the Vs/Vitalogy one and he said they were hesitant to do that because they didn't want to be a nostalgia act. That was in like 2012. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mvw said:
    They will be back.  Maybe the current state has been done for a reason.  We as fans sometime expect too much from them.  Everything they do recently is critiqued so much these days.  Maybe “Can’t Deny Me” was put out for a reason.  To test the water so to speak.  It really got a mixed reviews and I feel that if they’re going to give us new music they want to make it worth it.  They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet.  This band has always given us 100%.  It’s music and it’s art.  To make it right and relevant  takes time sometimes.  I think they realize the past few albums were not their strongest.  In giving 100%, they want to make this next one just right.  Give them time to find themselves again.  With all the talent in this group it will be well worth the wait.  Most of us yearn for that creative and somewhat experimental part of their music to come crashing down on us like a huge wave as it has done in the past.  Let’s be patient and let that energy build to let them create that big fucking wave that will blow our fucking minds once again.  You all know it would and will be worth it.  🌊🤙

My patience is forthcoming.

• BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    There are TONS of bands who are still creating, are fan centric, tour properly, and are affordable. I have some wonderful Pearl Jam memories. They were my first love. But like with many relationships, when ones give up, the relationship dies.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    demetrios said:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-johnny-cash-the-gift-808116/amp/

As for Pearl Jam, McCready says he hopes to work on something new with them soon. “We haven’t done anything since we were on the road last year,” he says. “I’m not sure what we’re doing. I’d love to do something, but I don’t have anything right now on the table. We just had a big touring year last year, and two giant shows in Seattle for a homeless benefit. And those were amazing and exhausting and exhilarating. When we all get back together, I’m sure we’ll be creating again. But I don’t have any timeline on that right now.”

I guess I missed that.....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mace1229 said:
    demetrios said:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-johnny-cash-the-gift-808116/amp/

As for Pearl Jam, McCready says he hopes to work on something new with them soon. “We haven’t done anything since we were on the road last year,” he says. “I’m not sure what we’re doing. I’d love to do something, but I don’t have anything right now on the table. We just had a big touring year last year, and two giant shows in Seattle for a homeless benefit. And those were amazing and exhausting and exhilarating. When we all get back together, I’m sure we’ll be creating again. But I don’t have any timeline on that right now.”

I guess I missed that.....
    Shouldn't have blinked.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    edited March 2019
    The band has never been transparent with the fans as far as when they are working on new music, forthcoming releases, etc. It's always been a BIG secret... that part has been maddening for me... I'm sure it's a strategy or something but after 25 years it's time to give it a rest... I listen to PJ every day and probably have for the last 25 years... the music makes sense to me... when it's good, it's amazing... when it's bad, it's still really really good. That's the part that's so frustrating about the lack of output... they are so freaking good, even at their worst.

It does seem like the past few years have been more about larger venues, baseball stadiums, etc and I AM very thankful that they have played those shows and I probably have seen more shows the past 5 years than I have in the previous 20... 

I don't doubt that putting on those shows IS exhausting for the band... the amount of ticket requests must be mind numbing... kids teachers, every actor, sports figure, tree house builder, friend from the old days, art friend, friend of friend, doctor, author... probably the guy that mows their freaking lawn...  I can't even imagine.

The bands that have been together as long as they have seem to have a creative spark/relationship among singer and guitar player... Bono/Edge, Jagger/Richards, Trey A/himself :-). I don't really see the creative spark in this band... from what I've read they send each other ideas and then pick the good ones and if Ed decides to write lyrics to it, then it becomes a song... I'm not criticizing their process but whatever it is (intentional or not) it's not conducive to new material. In the old days they were together so much that they were forced to create... they got in the studio, worked their asses off, yelled at each other, high five'd each other, ate, drank and slept creativity. Now with families, kids, spring break, tutors, sports games, new relationships, taking care of older family members, etc. etc. etc. there are a lot of distractions.

I get it. I just wish they were more transparent with the fans... I for one will always be here.
    Post edited by davidos on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Boom...Boom is obviously the problem! 
    yeah...I bet he brings in some dank ass weed and they sit around all day laughing and shit.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Yeah, I have no idea what is up with the band anymore. It does seem that the band is constantly creating and Ed keeps doing the same old thing. Who knows what the reasons are. One is probably his voice just cant handle heavy touring commitments. Solo shows are probably a lot easier on his voice. All I know is that i heard Help! this morning from a 2018 show and it didnt sound good. Voice was really weak sounding. With that said I will still be a fan forever. Things change. When I was younger I would never imagine i would go months without hanging with my buds but that's how it is for us now. All married with kids and our own lives. The band is the same im sure.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Yeah, I have no idea what is up with the band anymore. It does seem that the band is constantly creating and Ed keeps doing the same old thing. Who knows what the reasons are. One is probably his voice just cant handle heavy touring commitments. Solo shows are probably a lot easier on his voice. All I know is that i heard Help! this morning from a 2018 show and it didnt sound good. Voice was really weak sounding. With that said I will still be a fan forever. Things change. When I was younger I would never imagine i would go months without hanging with my buds but that's how it is for us now. All married with kids and our own lives. The band is the same im sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37vZLIWAI3Y
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I just want another RNDM album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    PJ_Soul said:
    I read this at first as "RATM" and thought "Well who doesn't!?!?"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    edited March 2019
    Does anyone know if the Black Keys are looking for a long term meaningful relationship? 42 year old hoodie wearing male seeks expensive posters and trips to Europe.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, that would also be cool!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, that would also be cool!
    On top of the obvious reasons, Chris Cornell's death was sad because it prevented the incredible RATM, TOTD, Audioslave, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam stadium tour that needed to happen.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    SCH said:
    At this point, I think the band has pushed the limits of fan base loyalty.  Eddie and the guys are in their 50s not 70s like the guys in the RS, The Who and other older bands. I'm sorry if so, other than health, there is really no good excuse after 6 years with 1 new song.  We've been told all along that this was a fan friendly band but now it feels like a band that is only interested in cashing in.  Have we been fooled ? Are we being taken advantage of? It was a great run but I'm strongly considering giving up on Pearl Jam. It's sad. 
    this is silly. its a band. You can definitely take a step back and not pay as close attention, but its not like this is an abusive relationship. There's no betrayal or being taken advantage of. Maybe your expectations of Pearl Jam are what need to be adjusted.  

I've lowered my expectations of the people on this message board, and that's helped alot.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    davidos said:
    I don't doubt that putting on those shows IS exhausting for the band... the amount of ticket requests must be mind numbing... kids teachers, every actor, sports figure, tree house builder, friend from the old days, art friend, friend of friend, doctor, author... probably the guy that mows their freaking lawn...
    I do. I mean, I’m sure they’re worn after the shows  but they basically have to show up and play.

They have somebody handling the guest list situation.  I’d be pretty surprised to find out that individual members are bombarded with ticket requests. Even if they were, how hard would it be to have a list on your phone and forward it to somebody to take care of it. 
  • chris2391chris2391 Posts: 40
    Yeah, I have no idea what is up with the band anymore. It does seem that the band is constantly creating and Ed keeps doing the same old thing. Who knows what the reasons are. One is probably his voice just cant handle heavy touring commitments. Solo shows are probably a lot easier on his voice. All I know is that i heard Help! this morning from a 2018 show and it didnt sound good. Voice was really weak sounding. With that said I will still be a fan forever. Things change. When I was younger I would never imagine i would go months without hanging with my buds but that's how it is for us now. All married with kids and our own lives. The band is the same im sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37vZLIWAI3Y
    Sounds great. WTF?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    kaw753 said:
    Does anyone know if the Black Keys are looking for a long term meaningful relationship? 42 year old hoodie wearing male seeks expensive posters and trips to Europe.
    That is funny