Latest update from Mike on new Pearl Jam music

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mcgruff10 said:
    I guess they now consider 26 concert dates in a year to be a big touring year  :|
    I wish I could only work 26 days a year. 
    You can if you figure out how to get 40,000 people paying $100 each to show up and watch you work
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I guess they now consider 26 concert dates in a year to be a big touring year  :|
    You can if you figure out how to get 40,000 people paying $100 each to show up and watch you work
    I am a good teacher but I don’t know if 40,000 would pay to watch me give a lecture.  Maybe 25,000 but no more.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am a good teacher but I don’t know if 40,000 would pay to watch me give a lecture.  Maybe 25,000 but no more.  
    Unfortunately at 25,000 you might have to work 40 days
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unfortunately at 25,000 you might have to work 40 days
    Damn it!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    RS65573 said:
    Isnt the timing of all this suspect?
    First, cancel Xmas single to start year, since band is never together.
    Then schedule Ed tour, send announcement.
    Mike confirms no PJ announcement to help Eds ticket sales.
    Collect additional X dollars for membership and merch all year when band doesn't even really exist.
    :(
    For a band not all about the money, this appears to be all about money.
    If people didn't figure that out when they started selling $40 dog collars, plastic sheep, and more recently $80 button-up shirts...well, not sure what more can be said.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2019
    Honestly, you don‘t have to buy any of that stuff... I‘m in for the music, that‘s what makes me happy and that’s more than enough for me
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    JPPJ84 said:
    Honestly, you don‘t have to buy any of that stuff... I‘m in for the music, that‘s what makes me happy and that’s more than enough for me
    For sure, and it's ALWAYS been about the MUSIC for me, so it's hard to even be a "fan" these days, when in nearly 6 years, we've had practically zero new music, less frequent shows that are primarily "greatest hits" setlists, and TONS of merch for sale; ironic coming from a band that keeps saying that they're "excited for the future."
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    well this is just depressing...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015

2020 or bust I guess
  • jeffbr said:
    This is a legacy band, and nostalgia act at this point. Which is fine, they've been at it for a long time. I'm no longer counting on new music, and anything other than one-off fly-in shows, festivals or residencies. It was a great run.
    Then give me more of the 1998 tour please. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    NewJPage said:
    Lame as hell

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    my_wave said:
    well this is just depressing...

Agreed! What the hell happened!?  There HAS to something more going on here! From late 2016 to early 2018 I believe the only thing going on was the RNRHOF stuff.  From what everyone on stage at the induction said (especially Eddie), I truly got the impression they were fired up to continue to make new music.  There was so much time to record in '17.  I'm guessing Cornel's passing derailed them for a while.  But now, almost seven months removed from there last show in September and no signs of them getting something done.  It has got to be more than the usual "they're older now/they have families now/they have lives outside the band now" excuses we always use.  Either they are having a massive writers block situation or there is some kind of MAJOR tensions between certain band members. Sorry to vent!  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    They are done.   
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    The state of this band (and its fan club website, let's be honest) is pretty sad and depressing as of now (it's been since a while, actually).
    I wish they'd at least do something along the lines of the Springsteen monthly archive release.. doesn't have to be a god damn vinyl (I love them, but too expensive to do every month).. not even on CD (they would be CD-R anyway, so we wouldn't miss much).. just give us an archive release every, I don't know, even every couple months, digital only (with Flac and HD-Flac options).. if not new music, give us at least some gems from the past.. and no matter if not everything is multitracks, we would take any kind of listenable recording I'm sure. Just some meat attached to the bone, really.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    edited March 2019
    I’m waiting for the next newsletter with baited breathe so I can be the first to buy the limited Pearl Jam beach ball.  

Sell your shit now folks or you’ll be stuck with it when you finally croak and shit yourself.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    New music? No thanks. Just keep playing the hits. This is what the vast majority want. 
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
    No new music or risk the chance of another Backspacer ... tough call
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Whats depressing about it?  We’ve had a party that’s lasted 20 something years.  

If they put out an album in 2020 great. An EP?  Fine with me.  Nothing?  That’s alright too.  Theres like 400 bootlegs i havent even listened to yet and when we bought the house we turned their fancy office into the Pearl Jam poster room.  There’s lots more fun to be had.  

• hsohi said:
    New music? No thanks. Just keep playing the hits. This is what the vast majority want. 
    Ummm... I personally don't agree with this, but I respectfully acknowledge that everyone has the right to their own opinion, of course.  I concur with a previous comment that their recent tours are approaching "greatest hits concert" status.  The cover songs (too many per show) are getting stale and it's been years since the covers have had that spontaneous feel as they did in the 90's.  Their most recent tour gave me a Rolling Stones / U2 / Paul McCartney greatest hits vibe rather than a vibrant, active rock band that is trying to experiment and push their sound in new directions.        
    04-11-94. The Boston Gahden.  Boston, MA
    10-02-96. The Meadows.  Hartford, CT
    08-29-00. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    07-02-03. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    03-27-11. Tres Mts (with Jeff and Mike).  Paradise Rock Club.  Boston, MA  
    06-16-11. EV solo tour.  The Wang Theater.  Boston, MA
    09-03-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-18. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You know what's really depressing?  All you melodramatic fuckers! :lol:
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    You know what's really depressing?  All you melodramatic fuckers! :lol:

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Boom...Boom is obviously the problem! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    The last two sentences are what I’m holding onto...
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • SCHSCH Easton CT Posts: 59
    At this point, I think the band has pushed the limits of fan base loyalty.  Eddie and the guys are in their 50s not 70s like the guys in the RS, The Who and other older bands. I'm sorry if so, other than health, there is really no good excuse after 6 years with 1 new song.  We've been told all along that this was a fan friendly band but now it feels like a band that is only interested in cashing in.  Have we been fooled ? Are we being taken advantage of? It was a great run but I'm strongly considering giving up on Pearl Jam. It's sad. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    edited March 2019
    hsohi said:
    Yeah NOPE.  Last thing I want.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    SCH said:
    At this point, I think the band has pushed the limits of fan base loyalty.  Eddie and the guys are in their 50s not 70s like the guys in the RS, The Who and other older bands. I'm sorry if so, other than health, there is really no good excuse after 6 years with 1 new song.  We've been told all along that this was a fan friendly band but now it feels like a band that is only interested in cashing in.  Have we been fooled ? Are we being taken advantage of? It was a great run but I'm strongly considering giving up on Pearl Jam. It's sad. 
    this is silly. its a band. You can definitely take a step back and not pay as close attention, but its not like this is an abusive relationship. There's no betrayal or being taken advantage of. Maybe your expectations of Pearl Jam are what need to be adjusted.  

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    SCH said:
    No one is taking advantage of you. Good God.

There's no good excuse other than it's art and it gets made when it gets made. There is no set schedule or timeline.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    I was reading the posts when the email below arrived: timing is crazy.:

This is just a friendly reminder that your Ten Club Membership is set to
 automatically renew at the current level (*Plus applicable sales taxes and Int shipping fees) on March 30, 2019.

If you need to make changes to your payment information, log in and go to MY ACCOUNT, select MEMBERSHIP, then click on Update Payment Info and submit your current details. A renewal confirmation will be emailed to you.

For more information, visit the support page or contact us.

*Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued

Please add donotreply@pearljam.com & shipping@tenclub.net to your email address book so you will not miss updates.

Be sure to stay posted to the site & forum for any future updates.

Thank you,

Ten Club

Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • jeffbr said:
    KN219077 said:
    Ed seems to love solo shows, throw us a bone with a solo album. It sure sounds like Ed is the one that drags his feet in making music with the band, who knows, maybe his well is drying up 
    I think that's exactly the issue. His solo shows are cover songs, and PJ songs. He's not bringing anything new to the table these days.
    Agree with this. Maybe that's why he doesn't tour the US solo. People know what they're going to get.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited March 2019
    The real housewives of pearl jam.  Andy Cohen, Ryan Seacrest, here is your new reality show. 
    Post edited by Get_Right on