What happened to the guy who sued Ticketmaster???

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    hihobibo said:
    pjl44 said:

I go to 50-60 shows per year. Took a quick look through my last two years and, a couple festivals aside, I only paid around that for 3 shows:

You hit up a show a week? Are you including places that have local live music (cover bands) in that as well? That's amazing if it is only "real" bands (by that I mean bands who make all their money in music, and not people like me who play in a bar once every 2 months).
    A lot of big music fans do this. I know people who see "real" shows several times a week. Sometimes even more than once in one day, if possible!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    hihobibo said:
    pjl44 said:

I go to 50-60 shows per year. Took a quick look through my last two years and, a couple festivals aside, I only paid around that for 3 shows:

You hit up a show a week? Are you including places that have local live music (cover bands) in that as well? That's amazing if it is only "real" bands (by that I mean bands who make all their money in music, and not people like me who play in a bar once every 2 months).
    Yeah, pretty consistently for almost 20 years now. Majority are club shows with national bands 250-2500 capacity places. A sprinkling of bar shows, but that's usually friends' bands and don't really count that. It's not one every week, but that's how it averages. Spring and fall are prime touring season for those places and I inevitably have a couple 5-shows-in-8-nights sorta stretches. I'm on my ninth ticket stub album.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I just paid $335 for a pair of Tool tickets..  In freakin' Virginia. Due to shit pay and deployments, I didn't really start going to ton of concerts 'til around 2012, so I don't have $25 tickets to compare to.. But for seven years now, I think $300+(face) for a pair of decent seats is pretty normal, actually maybe even on the low end. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I just paid $335 for a pair of Tool tickets..  In freakin' Virginia. Due to shit pay and deployments, I didn't really start going to ton of concerts 'til around 2012, so I don't have $25 tickets to compare to.. But for seven years now, I think $300+(face) for a pair of decent seats is pretty normal, actually maybe even on the low end. 
    Jesus Christ what time did they go on sale? I completely forgot and they're sold out already!
  • GV658068GV658068 Posts: 10
    I think one thing to take into consideration is that these are big overseas shows and that means a lot of people are involved in every aspect of putting on productions like these. These people need to make a decent wage and I'm just going to assume that they're are being paid a good rate for their work. I'm not picturing Ed sitting on a pile of gold in his castle maniacally laughing.
    I hope that is true, but nonetheless its insane to pay almost twice as much for a EV show than for a PJ show.... 
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited March 2019
    Agreed, another one of these posts.. but those are pretty high for a solo gig..

I will say, if he was touring the US, I'd pay those prices in a heart beat!
    Post edited by SJD3232 on
  • The price of all concerts are crazy. I’d rather EV get the money than pay $75, scalpers scoop them all up, and resale them for $200. Artists should be getting the money. Shows will sell out, meaning prices are fine 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Glad I caught him solo in 08' and 11'. His Fox Theater show in St.Louis will be forever etched into my memories. Also getting dead center front row balcony from the 10c. These days no way I can pay those prices, not with a kiddo still in diapers and in daycare. #dadproblems
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited March 2019
    Jesus Christ what time did they go on sale? I completely forgot and they're sold out already!
    10am. Are you in VA Beach? 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Here is a list of people to blame for ticket prices....

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue
    TM for the "service fees" not the "ticket price"

That's it that's the list
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    The price of all concerts are crazy. I’d rather EV get the money than pay $75, scalpers scoop them all up, and resale them for $200. Artists should be getting the money. Shows will sell out, meaning prices are fine 
    100% with you on this. Tickets are only "too high" if the place is half sold. I have no ill will if I'm priced out of something. Has definitely happened before.

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

I understand but EV must have a choice right? come on... principles. I don't believe he is a slave of the market.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

I understand but EV must have a choice right? come on... principles. I don't believe he is a slave of the market.
    all artist has a fee,..they get paid from promoter..thats all..after that promoter is in charge of everything,,promoter wants to make money 
    he ios not gonna lose money cos arftsit doesnt like the price of the tickets..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

all artist has a fee,..they get paid from promoter..thats all..after that promoter is in charge of everything,,promoter wants to make money 
    I agree. I remember reading that GNR's fee at some places was more than the return if they sold out the show at face value on the tickets. Promoters were making their money on the sales inside and outside of the venues, which is why concessions were more than the typical price at the stadium they played versus football games and regular events held there.  
    GV658068 said:

Performer
    Management 
    Promoter
    Venue

Right
    But the artist along with management sets that fee.
    So it's up to Eddie and Kelly to decide if they want Ed to earn $50,000 per night after expenses or $250,000.
    Not up to TM.

Personally I'd pay the top price but only for 1 or 2 shows. Not for 5 or 6.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    pjl44 said:
    The price of all concerts are crazy. I’d rather EV get the money than pay $75, scalpers scoop them all up, and resale them for $200. Artists should be getting the money. Shows will sell out, meaning prices are fine 
    100% with you on this. Tickets are only "too high" if the place is half sold. I have no ill will if I'm priced out of something. Has definitely happened before.

Exactly.

Door #1 -- Eddie charges $70, $100 and $125. Scalpers buy a majority and charge prices from $150 on up.

Door #2 -- Eddie charges the most he sees reasonable. The shows still sell out and he gets the money.

Door #3 -- TicketMaster does their "variable pricing" where ticket prices constantly change based on sales. Someone pays $75 for a seat and someone else pays $200 a few days later for a seat two rows back.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Nah, about 6 hrs away in western Maryland.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I don't think PJ ever sued ticketmaster.   Stone and Mike testified before congress about the ever increasing service charges.    Unfortunately those hearings didn't result in anything, they kept going up, and TM/Livenation continued their quest for domination (calling dubs on all the decent venues in North America so there was little to no competition for issuing tickets).

In this case the majority of the ticket price is for the actual concerts.  Unfortunately ticket prices have been skyrocketing the last several years.    Previously artists sold many of their tickets below market value.   This creates a black market for tickets.    Artists seem to be closing that gap.   Like others have said I'd rather artists get the money, then scalpers.

Given the crazy costs of concerts these past few years, the prices don't seem that crazy.    If this was coming to Seattle or Vancouver I'd definitely make an attempt at going.  I have noticed I'm hesitant to pay modern ticket prices for other bands.    Most recently skipping tours of bands I've seen before (Tool, GNR, Metallica, AiC etc...) .

At these current ticket prices it seems I'm only willing to pay them to see my favourite artist(s).   Most other bands I'm skipping tours, so it's really killing my repeat business.    I put all my ticket money this year into a Rolling Stones ticket.   Wanted to knock them off my bucket list before it's too late.    Would never pay that price a 2nd time :)
    Yeah the stones, seen them in 2014 on Pinkpop, certainly worth the money.
    However I've seen EV in 2017 in Amsterdam, same venue as now. Bought two tickets as a ten club member, almost the same price as now. I thought we would sit in front of the stage because as a Ten club member you get the seats closest to the stage. unfortunately we were seated in the back and didn't see EV at all.. Not worth the money and certainly not comparable with the experience of a PJ show..
  • ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    mcgruff10 said:
    1995 is a long time ago, people change.  I know I am not the same person so I am guessing Ed isn’t either.  

I have no idea why, what, where....This guy is suing ticketmaster.

But I am pretty sure I can figure it out....

That said...In the year 2019, paying $150 or so for a ticket to see Eddie Vedder? That's sounds about right.

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

This guy has it 100000% right. I'm not sure what fans of this band expect. I argue this every time the bitching starts over ticket pricing. Look up any major touring artist any time and compare ticket prices.  Garbage pop acts that phone it in each night for exactly 90 minutes are twice the price.  Not only is $150 fair, I'd argue its well below market value. I get that most fans of the band (the ones that post here anyway) are stuck in the mid 90's but that isn't reality.  They leave money on the table every tour to keep these prices and people still complain.  To be clear, the band is not a non profit organization.  Paying the artist for 2 and half hours of their time is the only cost associated with a show.  Travels and hotel for everyone on the tour, the promoters cut, venue rental, ticketing, and a pile of other costs. All stuff that costs money.  The whole "I've been a fan forever, I deserve front row, I deserve 25 year old ticket pricing, I deserve a poster, I, I, I. The band owes me x,y,z"  narrative of our community is so tired. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
    Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1995 is a long time ago, people change.  I know I am not the same person so I am guessing Ed isn’t either.  

That said...In the year 2019, paying $150 or so for a ticket to see Eddie Vedder? That's sounds about right.

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

This guy has it 100000% right. I'm not sure what fans of this band expect. I argue this every time the bitching starts over ticket pricing. Look up any major touring artist any time and compare ticket prices.  Garbage pop acts that phone it in each night for exactly 90 minutes are twice the price.  Not only is $150 fair, I'd argue its well below market value. I get that most fans of the band (the ones that post here anyway) are stuck in the mid 90's but that isn't reality.  They leave money on the table every tour to keep these prices and people still complain.  To be clear, the band is not a non profit organization.  Paying the artist for 2 and half hours of their time is the only cost associated with a show.  Travels and hotel for everyone on the tour, the promoters cut, venue rental, ticketing, and a pile of other costs. All stuff that costs money.  The whole "I've been a fan forever, I deserve front row, I deserve 25 year old ticket pricing, I deserve a poster, I, I, I. The band owes me x,y,z"  narrative of our community is so tired. 
    The same people who want 1995 ticket prices, 1995 anger, and 1995 ideals are the same people who still want a mosh pit at PJ shows.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

You are my newest best friend! You are cordially invited to join myself and my wife for Thanksgiving dinner. Bring the kids!

$150-$175 to see Eddie Vedder perform solo is a BARGAIN!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

You are my newest best friend! You are cordially invited to join myself and my wife for Thanksgiving dinner. Bring the kids!

Yeah, it's the fucking flight to Europe that is a bitch! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

Yeah, it's the fucking flight to Europe that is a bitch! ;)

Have you seen the poster prices?

DEAR LORD!!!

Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

The same people who want 1995 ticket prices, 1995 anger, and 1995 ideals are the same people who still want a mosh pit at PJ shows.

Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

You get it too!  
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II

Mosh Pits?

I just want to sit in my seat, and eat some popcorn. Hoping and praying the person sitting next to me doesn't start the conversation with...."So whats your 10 club number?"

edited March 2019
    Nah, about 6 hrs away in western Maryland.
    Are you trying to get to the show? because if you are, I have extra tickets. Both my girl and I scored so I have an extra pair.  Just want what I paid. 

I'll show up but only if the tickets are cheap and I get front row seats to dinner!
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    for crying out loud:

-the band tried to sidestep TM back in the 90's by playing independent venues.
    -the band never sued them.
    -they were ASKED to testify before congress, and they AGREED to. 

I wish people would stop claiming that this band tried to "take on ticketmaster". the just tried to avoid using them, at a substantial cost to themselves, yes, but it's still very different. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:

Its not 1995

Its not 2005

Its not 2015

WAIT A SECOND!!!

The guy suing ticketmaster was in regards to Mr. Vedder.

My dumbass thought somebody here was suing in regards to the pricing!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

Its hell getting old.

Ok

Carry on.