The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm not laughing...I believe he can win. 
    I'm curious to hear - if you believe he can win, do you believe this is just the next pendulum swing and part of the typical cycle, or do you see this as a move to the left (or none of the above)?
    Not part of the cycle per se because generally the incumbent candidate wins. Bush 41 was an exception in a three person race. Trump has that advantage built in as much as people here don't want to admit it. That being said I have written previously that Trump had to thread a needle last time and will have to thread the very same needle again which will not be easy to do. I don't think he'll pick up another state that he didn't win before. New Hampshire is a maybe but I think Bernie blocks him there. So It is essentially a battle for Wisconsin no matter who the Democratic candidate is. That means if Bernie can win the nomination (which I think he will based on the current field) then he can win the general.
    All true, but there's nothing that says that Biden can't run the same strategy.  He'll be stronger in PA than Bernie (and Trump) and he the right attitude for WI and MI too.  I fear Ohio is gone.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my god. if a commie like bernie were to become president, the right would melt down into oblivion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm curious to hear - if you believe he can win, do you believe this is just the next pendulum swing and part of the typical cycle, or do you see this as a move to the left (or none of the above)?
    Not part of the cycle per se because generally the incumbent candidate wins. Bush 41 was an exception in a three person race. Trump has that advantage built in as much as people here don't want to admit it. That being said I have written previously that Trump had to thread a needle last time and will have to thread the very same needle again which will not be easy to do. I don't think he'll pick up another state that he didn't win before. New Hampshire is a maybe but I think Bernie blocks him there. So It is essentially a battle for Wisconsin no matter who the Democratic candidate is. That means if Bernie can win the nomination (which I think he will based on the current field) then he can win the general.
    All true, but there's nothing that says that Biden can't run the same strategy.  He'll be stronger in PA than Bernie (and Trump) and he the right attitude for WI and MI too.  I fear Ohio is gone.  
    I agree but I think the Dem base will want a Bernie over Biden.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited March 2019
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS, I more meant should Sanders win, what you think would occur socially in America. Whether there'd be a 'left wave' that eventually is replaced by another 'right wave', or whether the move to the left is something you see as the natural trajectory of the society. I know that's a tough one to answer, but I respect your opinions and am very curious to hear what you think could come next.

As for the Bernie over Biden comment, I agree. Whether permanent or temporary, the DNC seems to be preaching an attempt to pursue their progressive agenda and abandon their neoliberal one. 

Edit: I just wish we could compromise closer to center and stop swinging from polar extreme to polar extreme.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS, I more meant should Sanders win, what you think would occur socially in America. Whether there'd be a 'left wave' that eventually is replaced by another 'right wave', or whether the move to the left is something you see as the natural trajectory of the society. I know that's a tough one to answer, but I respect your opinions and am very curious to hear what you think could come next.

As for the Bernie over Biden comment, I agree. Whether permanent or temporary, the DNC seems to be preaching an attempt to pursue their progressive agenda and abandon their neoliberal one. 

Edit: I just wish we could compromise closer to center and stop swinging from polar extreme to polar extreme.
    As a Canadian you surely can understand that Bernie is not a polar extreme.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    my god. if a commie like bernie were to become president, the right would melt down into oblivion. 
    #ownthecons
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    dignin said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

As a Canadian you surely can understand that Bernie is not a polar extreme.
    Right? Bernie would be a good NDP leader. He'd fit right in. And the NDP certainly are not considered extreme. They are a mainstream party. And Canada practices a lot of what Bernie preaches, either in part or in full, under no matter which party is in power.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The US doesn't have any "center". You have right winged and crazy-christian-gun-nut-right winged. 

All of you need some perspective, and get to the real "center". For the good of your country. This unicum of the crazy right wing mentality isn't good for you, or the world. 

BRING BACK COAL. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The US doesn't have any "center". You have right winged and crazy-christian-gun-nut-right winged. 

All of you need some perspective, and get to the real "center". For the good of your country. This unicum of the crazy right wing mentality isn't good for you, or the world. 

BRING BACK COAL. 
    Uh yeah, sure buddy.  You've got it locked in there.  If only we could have a stellar economy like the rest of Europe.  Or maybe China's economy or Russia's.  No thanks, we're doing okay without shitty advice.  
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

BRING BACK COAL. 
    Uh yeah, sure buddy.  You've got it locked in there.  If only we could have a stellar economy like the rest of Europe.  Or maybe China's economy or Russia's.  No thanks, we're doing okay without shitty advice.  
    I can see the satire. Good one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

BRING BACK COAL. 
    That's sarcasm, not satire.  Just because we're right of you doesn't make you the center.  
    edited March 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BS44325 said:
    benjs said:
    BS44325 said:
    mrussel1 said:

BRING BACK COAL. 
    That's sarcasm, not satire.  Just because we're right of you doesn't make you the center.  
    You sound just like the people on Fox and Friends! Five out of five Star satire!

:P 

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Trump seems mesmerized by Betos hands. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited March 2019
    I see the hand thing was brought up in the Donald thread. Anyway, I finally seen the video I think he was referencing. I would agree he really was  waving those hands around. 
    I don’t get the hype around Beto. Can someone help me understand? No way I’m voting for this dude in primary. Sorry, just a feeling.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited March 2019
    Hi! said:
    I see the hand thing was brought up in the Donald thread. Anyway, I finally seen the video I think he was referencing. I would agree he really was  waving those hands around. 
    I don’t get the hype around Beto. Can someone help me understand? No way I’m voting for this dude in primary. Sorry, just a feeling.
    I don't really know. He seems pretty conservative to me, politically. I was all for him beating Cruz, but I'll be pretty disappointed if he becomes the nominee for POTUS. I'm surprised the Reps who don't like Trump aren't in love with this guy. They are always talking about wanting a centrist. Well, here's your centrist. So what is the problem? I guess they just hate air drums.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, I don’t know either. Beto always seems like he’s on the verge of crying or something. I probably shouldn’t throw my opinions around without having seen more from him, but I don’t think he has what it takes to be President. It’s like he lacks confidence or something. 

edited March 2019
    Hi! said:
    Yeah, I don’t know either. Beto always seems like he’s on the verge of crying or something. I probably shouldn’t throw my opinions around without having seen more from him, but I don’t think he has what it takes to be President. It’s like he lacks confidence or something. 
    Oh. I don't think that about him at all. It's his actual politics that I don't favour. I think his personality is just fine. He's quite likeable, and I think he has a really good level of confidence, and he handles the public very well. Not insecure at all, but he doesn't come off as arrogant either. If he was farther left I'd like him just fine.
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:
    Oh. I don't think that about him at all. It's his actual politics that I don't favour. I think his personality is just fine. He's quite likeable, and I think he has a really good level of confidence, and he handles the public very well. Not insecure at all, but he doesn't come off as arrogant either. If he was farther left I'd like him just fine.
    What is your opinion on politics versus personality? I personally feel personality is going to get a candidate a lot further ahead than policy, especially in a primary where everyone is basically on the same “team”.
    Post edited by Hi! on

edited March 2019
    Hi! said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:
    What is your opinion on politics versus personality? I personally feel personality is going to get a candidate a lot further ahead than policy, especially in a primary where everyone is basically on the same “team”.
    I care about both, but policy is WAY more important than personality when it comes to who I vote for personally. But a successful politician needs both. I don't think any of the candidates would get to this point without a personality that works for them as politicians.... Everyone choosing personality over policy can only lead to problems. When that happens, any country is getting themselves into some long term trouble IMO.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:
    I care about both, but policy is WAY more important than personality when it comes to who I vote for personally. But a successful politician needs both. I don't think any of the candidates would get to this point without a personality that works for them as politicians.... Everyone choosing personality over policy can only lead to problems. When that happens, any country is getting themselves into some long term trouble IMO.
    Absolutely 

edited March 2019
    Anyway, if O'Rourke wins the nomination, it will be a clear sign that Democrats really do not want to go further left... And I think that would be unfortunate. America really needs to get at least a bit more left if it wants any meaningful change for the better, IMHO. I don't think the country is sustainable under a fraudulent theory that is trickle down, without universal healthcare, without a much more just and equal education system, and without a solid and humane plan to legalize 11 million illegal (law abiding) workers. Even the farthest left Dems running won't be able to do all that, but I don't think O'Rourke will even try to any of those things, nor to get closer to most of them. I'm sure it will surprise no one to hear that I'm hoping America elects a pretty fucking leftist POTUS, lol.
    Everyone on here is obviously smart enough to know that policy is very important. For “joe voter” or the swing voter, personality has to be a huge factor. I’m not talking about as one of their voting issues or whatever, but on a subconscious level, if that makes any sense. I guess what I’m saying is Trump has personality. He’s a piece of shit, but he has a personality, and he’s a shit talker. The dems gotta put up someone that’s gonna be able to match that. I feel like Bernie and Biden have that personality and am nervous about putting up some of these other candidates. Boring Beto ain’t gonna cut it. Policy wonkiness ain’t gonna cut it. Lol, I kid. I don’t know enough about Beto to know if he’s boring or not.

edited March 2019
    Hi! said:
    Everyone on here is obviously smart enough to know that policy is very important. For “joe voter” or the swing voter, personality has to be a huge factor. I’m not talking about as one of their voting issues or whatever, but on a subconscious level, if that makes any sense. I guess what I’m saying is Trump has personality. He’s a piece of shit, but he has a personality, and he’s a shit talker. The dems gotta put up someone that’s gonna be able to match that. I feel like Bernie and Biden have that personality and am nervous about putting up some of these other candidates. Boring Beto ain’t gonna cut it. Policy wonkiness ain’t gonna cut it. Lol, I kid. I don’t know enough about Beto to know if he’s boring or not.
    Yeah, Trump's got a personality. So did Mussolini and so does Elmer Fudd, lol. I really can't explain the idiocy behind some people's voting habits, but I don't think world leaders should be forced to play to the lowest common denominator. If that means some countries have to learn the hard way, and basically crash and burn, so be it.
    Yeah, I definitely don't think Beto is boring. That is not his problem.
    Also, I am very disappointed to know that America still wants old white men the most. It's true. It's like America thinks its voting for their collective grandpa rather than a president. Not that I don't like Bernie and Biden. But over and over again it is made clear that America is largely avoiding female candidates for no truly good reason, and for some reason didn't learn that a younger candidate can be a great option, despite Obama. 
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:
    Yeah, Trump's got a personality. So did Mussolini and so does Elmer Fudd, lol. I really can't explain the idiocy behind some people's voting habits, but I don't think world leaders should be forced to play to the lowest common denominator. If that means some countries have to learn the hard way, and basically crash and burn, so be it.
    Yeah, I definitely don't think Beto is boring. That is not his problem.
    Also, I am very disappointed to know that America still wants old white men the most. It's true. It's like America thinks its voting for their collective grandpa rather than a president. Not that I don't like Bernie and Biden. But over and over again it is made clear that America is largely avoiding female candidates for no truly good reason, and for some reason didn't learn that a younger candidate can be a great option, despite Obama. 
    Interesting to consider these things, especially Obama’s election, when I just listened to a Malcolm Gladwell podcast today that talked about moral licensing.We didn’t follow our moral trajectory after Obama. We went backwards and elected a.....well, you know. 
    If there was any justice in this world we would elect Butt Edge Edge/ Abrams 2020.
    *Edit: Buddha Judge/ Abrams2020
    Post edited by Hi! on

Any chance the DNC reconsiders their decision to not have debates on Fox News? I say have all the debates on Fox. Someone needs to get ahold of Tom Perez or whoever and get this shit fixed asap.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited March 2019
    Yep!  Couldn't agree more.  There is a grave danger of "left wing Trump" happening right now.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    "You want a fair shake.  Go get a massage with Bob Kraft" Bill Maher

LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I usually hate Maher's style (I find him pretty arrogant) but he articulated that perfectly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited March 2019
    I think you all are giving too much credit to Maher on this one, and I like him.
This discussion has been closed.