Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why does some dude on the other side of the world care so much about with America is the best or not?  I live right on the US border, I see and hear about their warts quite often, but they also have plenty to offer people of all stripes.  I am no fan of their foreign policy, been a very vocal critic of it.  With that being said, I would not want to share a border with any other country.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    The US has its faults and, like every other country, could be better; however, its citizens fare very well compared to a lot of other countries.

Look at Pakistan, where women can be killed for clapping to music... or disfigured for making their husband jealous, for example: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-pakistani-man-told-me-he-feared-hed-be-killed-for-exposing-“honor-killings”-his-worst-fear-just-came-true/ar-BBUvr7G?ocid=spartanntp
    You are right now trying to make the US look good by comparing the US... to Pakistan.
    Seriously wants your problem? The thread was started as a veiled “everything that’s wrong with America” thread. No one is in here saying the USA is perfect. What is your continued motivation here? 

Brian - who is a pretty far left and overall nice guy - posts about poverty in the US, and you respond with a meme.

to be fair, he didn't originally respond with a meme. there was quite a bit of intelligent back and forth prior to that. 

I really honestly can't understand why americans are getting so defensive about this thread. if people want to post items in defense of america being the best, or close to the best, why aren't people, no matter where they live, allowed to respond in kind? 

I can't speak for spiritual's "motivations" (I personally don't think he has any besides honest debate), but I can speak for what I think might go through the minds of people from other nations (being from one myself) that scratch their heads at this constant barrage of "the US is the greatest nation on earth" that we hear constantly from politicians and other talking heads, and have for decades. when you really look at everything that goes on, it's not even close. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Plenty of Canadians and politicians in Canada walk saying Canada is number 1...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    every nation does it to a degree. but honestly in the US it's simply not on the same level as anywhere else. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited March 2019
    every nation does it to a degree. but honestly in the US it's simply not on the same level as anywhere else. 
    How does one make that assertion?  What is it based on?  Is this just a typical generalization around the world that America thinks it is the best in everything?  
    America has pluses and minuses just like every other country in the world.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I have no desire to defend America.
    That being said, SC is coming off like an insecure dude who's worried about the size of his "country" and can't get "country" size off his mind.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    How does one make that assertion?  What is it based on?  Is this just a typical generalization around the world that America thinks it is the best in everything?  
    just growing up over the years and observing the differences in culture between the US and everyone else, both in entertainment and in real life. ask anyone who has traveled anywhere else. there's no other nation that just erupts into chants of their country's name spontaneously, even when it makes zero sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    just growing up over the years and observing the differences in culture between the US and everyone else, both in entertainment and in real life. ask anyone who has traveled anywhere else. there's no other nation that just erupts into chants of their country's name spontaneously, even when it makes zero sense. 
    They do it by soccer...excuse me...football team. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh, come on now.  
    You can't possibly be denying our unending arrogance.  You are a history teacher, you should be very familiar with the nasty and totally mainstream ideas of "manifest destiny" and "American exceptionalism".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    mcgruff10 said:
    As an American, I cannot prove it, but I feel it as well.  We seem a bit more devoted to talking about how we're #1 than others.  Then again, maybe people sit around over beers in Norway and talk about how they're the greatest country in the world.  I'm pretty much only privy to what's going on in the USA. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I've traveled throughout most of Western Europe, the caribbean, and central america  and have seen the same amount of nationalism as in the us. Everyone is proud of their country and think they are number 1 for different reasons.  The craziest amount of "we are number 1" I have ever witnessed was being in Europe for two EuroCups and a World Cup.  Holy shit that was intense.  I literally was almost killed in an English pub because I said David Beckham sucked after he missed a pk in the '04 Eurocup.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    As an American, I cannot prove it, but I feel it as well.  We seem a bit more devoted to talking about how we're #1 than others.  Then again, maybe people sit around over beers in Norway and talk about how they're the greatest country in the world.  I'm pretty much only privy to what's going on in the USA. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    Well I know people in Sweden like to post how awesome they are on the internet. :)

Honestly I don’t get either side of this. Posting over and over about how awesome the USA is or posting over and over what’s wrong with the USA.
    hippiemom = goodness
    I live in an area that has lots of Mexican immigrants, they are not shy about flying the Mexican flag...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well I know people in Sweden like to post how awesome they are on the internet. :)

Honestly I don’t get either side of this. Posting over and over about how awesome the USA is or posting over and over what’s wrong with the USA.
    The thing is, I don't think he is looking at what is right in America, just what's wrong.  I could be mistaken...but that what it looks like.

Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've traveled throughout most of Western Europe, the caribbean, and central america  and have seen the same amount of nationalism as in the us. Everyone is proud of their country and think they are number 1 for different reasons.  The craziest amount of "we are number 1" I have ever witnessed was being in Europe for two EuroCups and a World Cup.  Holy shit that was intense.  I literally was almost killed in an English pub because I said David Beckham sucked after he missed a pk in the '04 Eurocup.  

well football in europe is a whole different animal. i'll give you that. it could also be that I have lived in canada my entire life, and grew up watching a lot of canadian and american television, seeing the stark differences in nationalism, and also in my travels both in canada and the us. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The thing is, I don't think he is looking at what is right in America, 
    Name a few things.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Name a few things.
    Hahahaha, so you can refute them?  Really?  Nothing good?  Ah nevermind.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:

well football in europe is a whole different animal. i'll give you that. it could also be that I have lived in canada my entire life, and grew up watching a lot of canadian and american television, seeing the stark differences in nationalism, and also in my travels both in canada and the us. 
    I’ve lived in Canada almost all of my life, but I’ve also lived in the UK for four years and I spend a lot of time in the US, and I agree that the difference is striking. Citizens of other countries can definitely be patriotic and proud, but I don’t meet people in any other country who routinely and unquestioningly assert that their country is the best at almost every opportunity. It’s a national pastime. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

The "other countries are much more nationalistic because I saw them cheer for their country in a pub during the BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD" would not held up in court. 

It's actually quite an absurd thing to say. Instead of just admitting the US view of themselves i comparison to an objective breakdown of the country is quite absurd.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:

I’ve lived in Canada almost all of my life, but I’ve also lived in the UK for four years and I spend a lot of time in the US, and I agree that the difference is striking. Citizens of other countries can definitely be patriotic and proud, but I don’t meet people in any other country who routinely and unquestioningly assert that their country is the best at almost every opportunity. It’s a national pastime. 
    I have literally not heard anyone say that the USA is the best in I don;t know how long.  Maybe you should interact with Americans more often than every 4th of July! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I thought this thread was about if the USA is the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD or not... or am I in the wrong thread?
    rgambs said:
    I have no desire to defend America.
    That being said, SC is coming off like an insecure dude who's worried about the size of his "country" and can't get "country" size off his mind.
    You can be assured, that is not the case.
    You should take a step back and get some perspective. 
    The US has its faults and, like every other country, could be better; however, its citizens fare very well compared to a lot of other countries.

Look at Pakistan, where women can be killed for clapping to music... or disfigured for making their husband jealous, for example: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-pakistani-man-told-me-he-feared-hed-be-killed-for-exposing-“honor-killings”-his-worst-fear-just-came-true/ar-BBUvr7G?ocid=spartanntp
    You are right now trying to make the US look good by comparing the US... to Pakistan.
    Seriously wants your problem? The thread was started as a veiled “everything that’s wrong with America” thread. No one is in here saying the USA is perfect. What is your continued motivation here? 

Brian - who is a pretty far left and overall nice guy - posts about poverty in the US, and you respond with a meme.

to be fair, he didn't originally respond with a meme. there was quite a bit of intelligent back and forth prior to that. 

I really honestly can't understand why americans are getting so defensive about this thread. if people want to post items in defense of america being the best, or close to the best, why aren't people, no matter where they live, allowed to respond in kind? 

I can't speak for spiritual's "motivations" (I personally don't think he has any besides honest debate), but I can speak for what I think might go through the minds of people from other nations (being from one myself) that scratch their heads at this constant barrage of "the US is the greatest nation on earth" that we hear constantly from politicians and other talking heads, and have for decades. when you really look at everything that goes on, it's not even close. 
    Thank you for being level headed. A rare trait in this thread.
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I thought this thread was about if the USA is the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD or not... or am I in the wrong thread?
    Ummm yeah.  And to do so wouldn't you need to compare to the world? Is Sweden in the world? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:

I have literally not heard anyone say that the USA is the best in I don;t know how long.  Maybe you should interact with Americans more often than every 4th of July! ;)
    Actually, like I said, I’m in your country on average at least monthly, and I see and hear this stuff all the time. You just don’t notice it. It’s pervasive. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:

Actually, like I said, I’m in your country on average at least monthly, and I see and hear this stuff all the time. You just don’t notice it. It’s pervasive. 
    I was joking about 4th...hence the smiley.

But in reality, I have honestly not heard it in a very long time...don't even remember last time.  It's not something that comes up at work, in my neighborhood or anywhere really.  Now if you considering playing the national anthem at a sporting event, then I have heard that a lot.
    hippiemom = goodness
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Name a few things.
    Music...plenty of great music
    Hollywood...never short of great movies and TV shows.
    Cannabis...US states started legalizing it, which I'm sure made it easier for our government to legalize it
    Climate...there is pretty much any climate you could ask for in the US...so depending what your climate of choice is, I am sure you can find.
    30 minutes from my door is downtown Detroit, I can attend all 4 major sports, farther down the road UM has world class college sports, pretty much all bands hit up Detroit when touring.
    National Parks...
    Route 66
    The Pacific Coast HWY
    Lifestyle...you can live pretty much live any lifestyle you want
    Affordability

just off the top of my head.

Give Peas A Chance…
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ummm yeah.  And to do so wouldn't you need to compare to the world? Is Sweden in the world? 
    Sweden is in "the world". Yes. It's a country located in the north of Europe, neighbouring Norway, Denmark and Finland. And the monkey wrench was invented there.

OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Name a few things.
    Music...plenty of great music
    Hollywood...never short of great movies and TV shows.
    Cannabis...US states started legalizing it, which I'm sure made it easier for our government to legalize it
    Climate...there is pretty much any climate you could ask for in the US...so depending what your climate of choice is, I am sure you can find.
    30 minutes from my door is downtown Detroit, I can attend all 4 major sports, farther down the road UM has world class college sports, pretty much all bands hit up Detroit when touring.
    National Parks...
    Route 66
    The Pacific Coast HWY
    Lifestyle...you can live pretty much live any lifestyle you want
    Affordability

just off the top of my head.

You left off craft beer.  America is leading the way, though many, many countries have decreased that gap.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.