Options

Should women be required to sign up for military draft?

2»

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Just to be clear - I'm not advocating for compulsory military service in any way. However, if it does happen, I believe it should include all genders, have a reasonable option for other forms of meaningful service, and have very few exceptions, in order to prevent the burden from falling on the disadvantaged. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'd be all for mandatory military service.  Politicians might think twice about going to war especially if their kids/grand kids were in the military.  I would also bet that people would be a hell of a lot more interested in international affairs than the Khardasians if mandatory military service was required.
    Doesn't China also require everyone to join?

yes according to wimi, but it isnt enforced..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'd be all for mandatory military service.  Politicians might think twice about going to war especially if their kids/grand kids were in the military.  I would also bet that people would be a hell of a lot more interested in international affairs than the Khardasians if mandatory military service was required.
    The problem with that is, politicians' kids would have a much, much easier time being granted exceptions from the draft than the average person and a million times better chance than a poor person and a 500 million times better chance than a poor African American, Native American or Hispanic person.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,886
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The problem with that is, politicians' kids would have a much, much easier time being granted exceptions from the draft than the average person and a million times better chance than a poor person and a 500 million times better chance than a poor African American, Native American or Hispanic person.
    Agreed, that's why we make it mandatory.  Bri we know that no matter what someone will be able to work the system but it's not a terrible idea.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed, that's why we make it mandatory.  Bri we know that no matter what someone will be able to work the system but it's not a terrible idea.  
    Again though, McG, "mandatory" is a relative term with conditions favoring the wealthy and those with political influence.  So I don't think a mandatory draft would do much to sway politicians.   In theory, though, your idea makes sense.  But how would it actually pan out? I'm guessing, not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,886
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Again though, McG, "mandatory" is a relative term with conditions favoring the wealthy and those with political influence.  So I don't think a mandatory draft would do much to sway politicians.   In theory, though, your idea makes sense.  But how would it actually pan out? I'm guessing, not.
    True but maybe enough voters would actually contact their representatives about international affairs since their kids are in the military.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Mandatory military service is a flat out terrible idea.
    America is war hungry and jingoistic enough already, thank you.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mcgruff10 said:
    Politicians would just get their relatives safer deployments. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    This.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    Yup. Mandatory service will give us the least trained and motivated military force possible. Forcing people into service against their will also seems fairly antithetical to anything resembling freedom. Fuck that.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    How about instead of the women your so worried about lets let all the immigrant men who work 100 times harder than any american i know personally including myself to join up for 4yr sting with path to residency and if they joing for life they get path to american citizenship automatically ...
    I don't see how that wouldn't create a giant mess. That's why we have a policy and probably every other country in the world that prevents illegal immigrants from enlisting. 
    The issue of people who aren't legal residents here and still citizens somewhere else is messy. What if there's a military action in their country where they are a citizen? Are we going to give away military secrets and top tech secrets to non-citizens? Are we only going to allow them to be PFC infantry to prevent that, because that wouldn't come across as racist at all.
    No, they just can't join. I didn't think even legal residents could, but I just Googled it and the requirement seems to be a legal and permanent resident with a green card.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think technology has made the draft obsolete.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited October 2017

rgambs said:
    Yeah, this is where I stand too. I can't even imagine how brainwashed the population would be if this were done. I mean, a huge swath of the population is already brainwashed enough when it comes to RA RA USA!! USA!! USA!! WHERE'S MY GUN?! RESPECT THE FLAG! - this would just put it over the top. Scary thought.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I think technology has made the draft obsolete.
    Also agree with this 100%. A draft isn't necessary in any realistic scenario. They just don't need that massive an army anymore. I suppose we could imagine nightmare scenarios where it would make sense, but why go there until it's necessary?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    women should be legally required to sign up, yes. same rules for men and women. equal representation in government has zero to do with it. the men being forced to sign up are not in government, nor are they responsible for those in government making these calls. if both genders want to be treated equally, we can't, as a society, only give them equal "good" treatment. they want it, they get it all. 

that said, being forced to sign up for fucking anything is abhorrent to me. I'd be a dodger and fucking proud of it. how is considered freedom when you are being forced to do a job you don't want to do?

But Jose's idea is actually a good one. But then you might run into the whole "putting minorities in the front lines" type of shit again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    women should be legally required to sign up, yes. same rules for men and women. equal representation in government has zero to do with it. the men being forced to sign up are not in government, nor are they responsible for those in government making these calls. if both genders want to be treated equally, we can't, as a society, only give them equal "good" treatment. they want it, they get it all. 

that said, being forced to sign up for fucking anything is abhorrent to me. I'd be a dodger and fucking proud of it. how is considered freedom when you are being forced to do a job you don't want to do?

But Jose's idea is actually a good one. But then you might run into the whole "putting minorities in the front lines" type of shit again. 
    Totally agree, if someone wants to follow the “equal representation” bullshit line of thinking then I would say that only people who sign up for the selective service should be considered for office due to the extra burden/responsibility placed upon them.  Worth mentioning that, currently, men who refuse to sign up for selective service can not hold government office/jobs...
    I do not agree with either stance and also think being forced to sign up is abhorrent.  
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    PJPOWER said:
    The pentagon is suggesting women be required to sign up for the military draft, just like men between the ages of 18-25.  Should they be required to?  Should only men be drafted and sent to war?
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/pentagon-advocates-requiring-women-to-sign-up-for-/
    Voluntary right?
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    PJPOWER said:
    The pentagon is suggesting women be required to sign up for the military draft, just like men between the ages of 18-25.  Should they be required to?  Should only men be drafted and sent to war?
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/pentagon-advocates-requiring-women-to-sign-up-for-/
    Voluntary right?
    What do you mean?  Currently mandatory for men 18-25 sign up for the selective services.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Judge ruled all male draft unconstitutional.  Women will now get to stress about it a bit too when they turn 18 and are forced to sign up for selective service.  Sucks for everybody now!
    Step forward in equality?
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/federal-judge-finds-male-only-military-draft-unconstitutional-n975546
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    Judge ruled all male draft unconstitutional.  Women will now get to stress about it a bit too when they turn 18 and are forced to sign up for selective service.  Sucks for everybody now!
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/federal-judge-finds-male-only-military-draft-unconstitutional-n975546
    Absolutely...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I don't think you can demand equality, but only when it suits you.

This is a step forward in equality.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I totally agree.  Hope the need never comes to fruition again though.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I totally agree.  Hope the need never comes to fruition again though.

No kidding.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Now maybe the draft in general can be deemed unconstitutional.