Options

Should women be required to sign up for military draft?

PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
The pentagon is suggesting women be required to sign up for the military draft, just like men between the ages of 18-25.  Should they be required to?  Should only men be drafted and sent to war?
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/pentagon-advocates-requiring-women-to-sign-up-for-/

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJPOWER said:
    The pentagon is suggesting women be required to sign up for the military draft, just like men between the ages of 18-25.  Should they be required to?  Should only men be drafted and sent to war?
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/24/pentagon-advocates-requiring-women-to-sign-up-for-/
    I say we randomly select social security numbers every six months for our never ending war-ing, men women and children.
    Lets see a Hewson get randomly selected or maybe Kovakovic.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Nobody should ever be drafted. I'm 100% against conscription and being compelled to serve against one's will. So I'd be happy to abolish the selective service all together. But if we're going to have it, then women should also have to register. Women have rightfully demanded equal treatment with regards to the military and combat, and this equal treatment should be extended to the selective service. I let my son know when he signed up that if a draft was ever reinstated and his number called we were leaving the country. I'd tell my daughter the same thing. Either way, neither will be serving unless they choose to.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Since money is free speech now, those with the most to lose should be conscripted to defend our country first.  Draft the wealthiest citizens first! 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJPOWER said:
    Call me foolish, but I thought conscription ended ages ago in the States? Is this not the case? Is there a difference between being required to sign up for the military draft and conscription?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    CM189191 said:
    Since money is free speech now, those with the most to lose should be conscripted to defend our country first.  Draft the wealthiest citizens first! 
    Great idea!! If they are conscripted then give them a buy out option of 90% of their "free speech"
  • Options
    In the United States, conscription, also called "the draft", ended in 1973, but males aged between 18 and 25 are required to register with the Selective Service System to enable a reintroduction of conscription if necessary.

Selective Service registration is still required of almost all young men, although the draft has not been used since 1973 and there have been no prosecutions for violations of the draft registration law since 1986.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    jeffbr said:
    Nobody should ever be drafted. I'm 100% against conscription and being compelled to serve against one's will. So I'd be happy to abolish the selective service all together. But if we're going to have it, then women should also have to register. Women have rightfully demanded equal treatment with regards to the military and combat, and this equal treatment should be extended to the selective service. I let my son know when he signed up that if a draft was ever reinstated and his number called we were leaving the country. I'd tell my daughter the same thing. Either way, neither will be serving unless they choose to.
    I would not say never be drafted. WWII needed a draft and the Nazis and those sided with them needed to be stopped.
    I would not support a draft for our current war though.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited October 2017
    Wait, what?! Are American men required to sign up for the draft?! I didn't even know that! Well, yeah, I think that if men have to women should have to sign up as well (adhering to all the logical exemptions, like medical, educational, necessary employees, family burden considerations, etc etc etc).... But I also disapprove of a draft in any case. I agree there have been valid reasons for it, but in this day and age, unless something almost unimaginable happens, I don't see why the US would require conscription. I feel like technology has eliminated this requirement even during war time. I mean sure, we can all dream up situations where it would be needed, and fair enough, but generally? There shouldn't be a draft.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    How about we 'draft' more women to serve in Congress and other elected positions?

No more Palins tho.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wait, what?! Are American men required to sign up for the draft?! I didn't even know that! Well, yeah, I think that if men have to women should have to sign up as well (adhering to all the logical exemptions, like medical, educational, necessary employees, family burden considerations, etc etc etc).... But I also disapprove of a draft in any case. I agree there have been valid reasons for it, but in this day and age, unless something almost unimaginable happens, I don't see why the US would require conscription. I feel like technology has eliminated this requirement even during war time. I mean sure, we can all dream up situations where it would be needed, and fair enough, but generally? There shouldn't be a draft.
    I remember the local draft boards being called into meetings during the gulf war.  People were freaking out that another draft was about to happen.  
  • Options
    I have one better.  Require EVERYONE to serve at least two years in the military.

Sign up for 4 and you get free college and free benefits the rest of your life.
  • Options
    I have one better.  Require EVERYONE to serve at least two years in the military.

Sign up for 4 and you get free college and free benefits the rest of your life.
    and a gun! 
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    How about we 'draft' more women to serve in Congress and other elected positions?

No more Palins tho.
    Well, that raises an interesting point. Women aren't equally represented in the US government - not even fucking close - so one may reasonably ask why in the hell American women ought to feel obligated to equally invest themselves in wars that the government made up of mostly men starts. So I've changed my mind. No, women should not be made to be equal in the draft until they are equally represented in government.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.
    Well, that raises an interesting point. Women aren't equally represented in the US government - not even fucking close - so one may reasonably ask why in the hell American women ought to feel obligated to equally invest themselves in wars that the government made up of mostly men starts. So I've changed my mind. No, women should not be made to be equal in the draft until they are equally represented in government.
    So in that line of thought, maybe only people that have to sign up to be possibly drafted should have the right to hold office...or vote?  I may be wrong, but I don’t think a man between 18-25 that has not signed up to be drafted can register to vote or get a drivers license?  Don’t quote me on that...

https://www.thoughtco.com/register-for-the-draft-3321313

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    How about instead of the women your so worried about lets let all the immigrant men who work 100 times harder than any american i know personally including myself to join up for 4yr sting with path to residency and if they joing for life they get path to american citizenship automatically ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    How about instead of the women your so worried about lets let all the immigrant men who work 100 times harder than any american i know personally including myself to join up for 4yr sting with path to residency and if they joing for life they get path to american citizenship automatically ...
    I think you could find a lot of people in favor of this.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.
    So in that line of thought, maybe only people that have to sign up to be possibly drafted should have the right to hold office...or vote?  I may be wrong, but I don’t think a man between 18-25 that has not signed up to be drafted can register to vote or get a drivers license?  Don’t quote me on that...

So you're suggesting that either women get equally drafted for wars they're not yet anywhere near able to have equal input in starting, or not get to vote or hold office at all? So a double fuck you to women? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I still can't believe there is a draft. I seriously thought that the draft was totally eliminated after that shit show in Vietnam. Wow. And this is supported by the majority of Americans?? How come this is never an election campaign issue?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.

So you're suggesting that either women get equally drafted for wars they're not yet anywhere near able to have equal input in starting, or not get to vote or hold office at all? So a double fuck you to women? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I still can't believe there is a draft. I seriously thought that the draft was totally eliminated after that shit show in Vietnam. Wow. And this is supported by the majority of Americans?? How come this is never an election campaign issue?
    No, but men that do not sign up for selective service are ineligible to hold office, vote, work for the government, and in some cases even ineligible for citizenship as stated in the article I posted.  Why are women not held to the same “equal” standard?  No one, man or woman, between 18-25 has much input in the wars that are started, so that’s a moot point
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.

No, but men that do not sign up for selective service are ineligible to hold office, vote, work for the government, and in some cases even ineligible for citizenship as stated in the article I posted.  Why are women not held to the same “equal” standard?  No one, man or woman, between 18-25 has much input in the wars that are started, so that’s a moot point
    I think I already answered your question. Women aren't equally represented in government, so why should they be held to the same standards under the rules governing the draft? Any in any case, I don't support anyone signing up for the draft no matter what their gender is, so your suggestion is double horrible, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    The draft... shudder... bad memories.

I think the draft is a bad idea because it assumes every man (and if women are drafted, every woman) has a warrior personality.  I was very nearly drafted during the war in Vietnam.  I informed the draft board that I am half Amish, and though my father did serve in the Navy during WWII as an Aviation Machinist Mate, he brought me up to be non-violent.  They said, "tough". I said, "bullshit".  They gave me a number anyway.

But if is there is to be a draft, here's how I would see it best laid out:  Men and women both register. If selected, both men and women are giving the opportunity to either serve in the military or serve in a peace-making organization.  No one should be made to carry and use arms. 

Jimi had an even better idea (0:30 to 0:53 in the clip below).  Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZxuLklH-o

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Some countries enforce periods of mandatory military OR community service for individuals of a certain age. I would consider that a reasonable option; just think of the community benefits that could be obtained by harnessing the energy of all young adults for a period of time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.

I think I already answered your question. Women aren't equally represented in government, so why should they be held to the same standards under the rules governing the draft? Any in any case, I don't support anyone signing up for the draft no matter what their gender is, so your suggestion is double horrible, lol.
    I do not think anyone should have to sign up either, but since both genders get to enjoy the rights granted to them as a US citizens and do to the push for “equality”, it only makes sense that everyone should have to sign up regardless of gender.  If not, then you cannot hold government office, vote, etc (essentially a citizen that does not get to participate).
  • Options
    Some countries enforce periods of mandatory military OR community service for individuals of a certain age. I would consider that a reasonable option; just think of the community benefits that could be obtained by harnessing the energy of all young adults for a period of time. 
    All adults, men and women?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Are you asking about other countries or what I would favour? If my opinion, I would say if we do it for any gender we do it for everyone, with some reasonable exceptions (which would not include bone spurs). 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    Are you asking about other countries or what I would favour? If my opinion, I would say if we do it for any gender we do it for everyone, with some reasonable exceptions (which would not include bone spurs). 
    Haha, what about multiple bone spurs??? :).  And yeah, it it a genderless line in other countries that require service?  Thanks for your input :)
  • Options
    Israel - compulsory military service for men and women

Switzerland - compulsory military service for all men only; if you refuse, you pay a higher level of income tax 

Austria - compulsory military service of 6 months or compulsory community service of 9-12 months for men only 
  • Options
    Israel - compulsory military service for men and women

Switzerland - compulsory military service for all men only; if you refuse, you pay a higher level of income tax 

Austria - compulsory military service of 6 months or compulsory community service of 9-12 months for men only 
    Interesting, thank you.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

No more Palins tho.

There isnt a draft. Selective Service is a way, IF A DRAFT WERE REINSTATED, for the potential draftee to choose which branch he OR SHE  would be drafted to.

one question, how many women are running in comparison to men? Perhaps if more consistantly ran for office, particularly state and local, we'd see a more equitable representation in national offices.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I'd be afraid now more than ever if i was anywhere drafting age my son is going to be 24 next yr if Orange asshole decides to start a war and open the draft i'm splitting from here and he'd come along fuck any wars specially fighting on behalf of the asshole we have as president .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I'd be all for mandatory military service.  Politicians might think twice about going to war especially if their kids/grand kids were in the military.  I would also bet that people would be a hell of a lot more interested in international affairs than the Khardasians if mandatory military service was required.
    Doesn't China also require everyone to join?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......