Best live version of Getaway?

2»

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    The guitars have no teeth live.  
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I remember everyone wondering what took so long fir them to debut this in 2013. Well, we found out. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Ha, yes night 1.
    If memory serves me right weren't you the guy requesting the song for night 2 but got it for night 1? I was hoping for night 2 since I was there and was bummed to see it played but happy that you got it.  
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJNB said:
    Ha, yes night 1.
    If memory serves me right weren't you the guy requesting the song for night 2 but got it for night 1? I was hoping for night 2 since I was there and was bummed to see it played but happy that you got it.  
    I was there night #1 and missed night #2...knew it was played at the first show for sure! :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• nicknyr15 said:
    I remember everyone wondering what took so long fir them to debut this in 2013. Well, we found out. 
    Remember that too. The love for this banger was strong.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:
    Remember that too. The love for this banger was strong.
    It’s a great song and at the time, seemed destined to become a live staple for the LB tour. 
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    I think they nailed it in Amsterdam 14.. (but I was there, so maybe I'm biased..)
    Yeah, I was there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjMLThkt8g
    I'm sorry, but this sounds awful. I couldn't even tell the intro was this song - detuned really weirdly...half step maybe? Doesn't sound like a full step or even the same key. Anyway, I just wish the band would stop recording songs in a range that's difficult for Ed to sing, then have to detune so he can sing on tour. Gonna See My Friend is what I consider another great rockin' album opener, but live...ugh.
    So tell us a better version drummerboy.

Btw, haven't thought about Gonna see my friends in years. Maybe time for a Backspacer-revisit.
    There isn't a good live version.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Some songs just don't translate very well in concert. I always thought the same about "Infallible."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    rummy said:
    Some songs just don't translate very well in concert. I always thought the same about "Infallible."
    And over half of LB in general. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    Was it for Backspacer or LB they said they wrote songs that would work well live?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    I don't recall them saying that about Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. They definitely said it about Avocado, and, well, all of those songs work great live.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    Definitely Riot Act too.  Man I was listening to a 2009 version of marker and boy did it sound rough live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    Definitely Riot Act too.  Man I was listening to a 2009 version of marker and boy did it sound rough live.  
    That's S/T you poser.
  • Mike D88 said:
    I don't recall them saying that about Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. They definitely said it about Avocado, and, well, all of those songs work great live.
    Might have been S/T... but must have been later... could have been some interview for Backspacer... but maybe it was in 2006... hmm...
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I think they nailed it in Amsterdam 14.. (but I was there, so maybe I'm biased..)
    Yeah, I was there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjMLThkt8g
    I'm sorry, but this sounds awful. I couldn't even tell the intro was this song - detuned really weirdly...half step maybe? Doesn't sound like a full step or even the same key. Anyway, I just wish the band would stop recording songs in a range that's difficult for Ed to sing, then have to detune so he can sing on tour. Gonna See My Friend is what I consider another great rockin' album opener, but live...ugh.
    So tell us a better version drummerboy.

Btw, haven't thought about Gonna see my friends in years. Maybe time for a Backspacer-revisit.
    Never liked GSMF. Saw it in Brisbane and was like meh. Like Getaway in the Amsterdam gig mentioned (was there too) it was a half step down and underwhelming. 

Comatose is detuned and seeing it ballsed up so bad at Fenway last year was such an epic fail I was giggling the whole song. Have seen it smashed though so didn't mind.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018