Klobuchar for President 2020

Glad to see her make it official. She's been a great senator here in Minnesota.

It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    And another loser lol
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I do hope the a Dem wins over Trump..  but there are so many running!  It's like being in a candy store- so many to choose from, so hard to choose!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2019
    I like her better than Harris or Warren. And anyone that sings the praises of Fran Tarkenton is okay with me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CwsfdY5o08

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I'm listening to all of them at this point. It's also possible that a couple of people running could team up and run together so I want to know as much as I can about them all. Happy Monday all. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I like her but these reports about her staff turnover is odd.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    i watched the Maddow interview she was very up front about that part of her character i have no problem with her kicking some ass if things are not being done her way ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    i watched the Maddow interview she was very up front about that part of her character i have no problem with her kicking some ass if things are not being done her way ...
    I didn't see that.  I did hear some talk about how we probably wouldn't be hearing about that if it were a male....can't argue with that.  Men are tough guys and women are bitches in MAGAland.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Or she is hard to work with and/or for... that doesnt mean she's kicking some ass, that could mean she sucks as a boss lol
    my2hands said:
    Or she is hard to work with and/or for... that doesnt mean she's kicking some ass, that could mean she sucks as a boss lol
    My thought as well.  A good boss is also a team player, not a tyrant.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    Team player? Not really. They are the coach. ;)

Not a tyrant but doesn’t mean no tough love.

i agree - if this was a guy the narrative would be very different.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Yeah this would be a non story if we were talking about male candidates..
  • Yeah this would be a non story if we were talking about male candidates..
    If it was a male, they'd say he's an asshole tyrant that's hard to work with (see: Trump, D). But since it's a woman, to quote your post, she's "kicking some ass if things are not being done her way"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    This is true.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    In the interview, she also said she had people who had been working for her for 7 and 5 years. I don't know but maybe some employees don't like a tough boss and maybe some prefer it. Most people seem to like her but I'm interested in policies so I'm still listening. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    LOCK HER UP!

(That's what they'll be chanting if she, or any woman gets the nomination. Otherwise it'll be "LOCK HIM UP." And the longer this goes on, the more likely that is to happen.)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Kat said:
    In the interview, she also said she had people who had been working for her for 7 and 5 years. I don't know but maybe some employees don't like a tough boss and maybe some prefer it. Most people seem to like her but I'm interested in policies so I'm still listening. 
    People mix and work well with different people.  It's clear she sets a certain standard and culture.  Those that don't like it don't stay.  In my opinion not setting that culture is way worse than almost any culture you set.  Being clear about everything is the best.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Kat said:
    People mix and work well with different people.  It's clear she sets a certain standard and culture.  Those that don't like it don't stay.  In my opinion not setting that culture is way worse than almost any culture you set.  Being clear about everything is the best.  
    I agree that's what i came away with from her interview ..
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I was impressed with the half hour or so I saw of this town hall tonight. I like how she’s more of a pragmatist than some of the other candidates who are so far on the left. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    I was impressed with the half hour or so I saw of this town hall tonight. I like how she’s more of a pragmatist than some of the other candidates who are so far on the left. 

We could use a good dose of pragmatism.  I'll have to follow her more and get a better picture.

I didn't see it.  Read some articles.  Another candidate I need to look into more.  Based on what I read about her answers, she is closer to my political leanings than most if not all of the others.  And I really like her specifically mentioning "compromise".

In reality, this will likely keep her from having a shot at all.  The primaries like radical candidates with crazy promises to the base.  They don't actually look for and reward pragmatism and governing ability.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I like that she actually seems to have a grasp on what's realistic and what's not. Plus, she doesn't have an issue pushing herself and her staff at times to accomplish the job. Whose the last boss any of us have had that everybody liked? There's a difference between pushing employees to excel and mistreating them to the point of ridicule and unfair labor/work practices. I do think the opinion piece below highlights some of the issues with her approach. Not that I want an extreme leftist, but she is still mostly catering to the white middle class American. She would be an easy choice to steal back some of the conservatives who will never vote for a Warren or Harris type. Considering she doesn't carry rock-star personality and extreme rhetoric I doubt she will make it out of the primaries though.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/opinions/amy-klobuchar-town-hall-opinion-jill-filipovic/index.html

Moderate Democrats like Klobuchar are not going to capture the support of the many voters who are elated about the leftward shift of the Democratic Party. But she may capture those who are less thrilled, allowing the primary to be a true contest of ideas. I happen to believe that the more left-leaning ideas -- and candidates -- will win out, putting to bed the notion that Democrats are moving too far too fast. But the only way to do that is to give voters options. For the more conservative Democrats in the party, it's hard to come up with a better one than Klobuchar.

While Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand has put gender front and center in her campaign and Sens. Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren have rolled out introductions that touch on their identities and the need to examine economic inequality through the lens of race and gender, Klobuchar again tacks more moderate, largely sidestepping anything that could be construed as "identity politics" and instead homing in on the white, middle America identity that many white voters seem to believe is simply neutral.

That choice reflects an older model of Democratic campaigning that I suspect will fail in our current political era. But again, Klobuchar offers a (backward-looking) choice that stands in sharp contrast to most of the rest of the Democratic field.
    I think she stands to lose. Bland '90s centrism is not what most Democrats seem to want, even if the #NeverTrump conservatives who have been cautiously welcomed to our side tell us it is. And bland '90s centrism is exactly what was on offer from Klobuchar at Monday's town hall.
    But for those of us who think the Democratic base has moved further to the left than its representatives in Congress, this primary is a fight we want to have.
      Elections are usually much more about personality than policy, but with a crowded Democratic field and a slew of candidates who take the details of policy seriously, this contest could prove to be more about substance than optics.

Klobuchar is a worthy representative for moderates and a worthy foe for the more lefty among us. If she's defeated from the left -- and I believe she will be -- it will be the confirmation and the mandate for true progress so many of us have been waiting for.
      It's a hopeless situation...
    • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
      Pragmatist. Sounds like Hillary Clinton. That worked out well last election.
    • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
      dignin said:
      The difference is that Hillary had 25 years as one of the most frequently hated people in America.  (I still think Klobuchar would lose...but nobody has Hillary's baggage.)
      1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
      2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
      OnWis97 said:
      dignin said:
      The difference is that Hillary had 25 years as one of the most frequently hated people in America.  (I still think Klobuchar would lose...but nobody has Hillary's baggage.)
      That definitely played a part, but I think the other reason was that she didn't really inspire or energize anyone. Klobuchar sounds similar.
    • dignin said:
      OnWis97 said:
      dignin said:
      That definitely played a part, but I think the other reason was that she didn't really inspire or energize anyone. Klobuchar sounds similar.
      Well, not as well as putin on the ritz, in three key electoral states. Anyone hear from the NRA of late?
      09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
      Klobuchar can win the rust belt. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania - she won her last Senate re election even in the reddest of MAGA districts.

I am more left than her, but not as far left as some in the race. She's for Medicare for all, climate change action, infrastructure - so I can get with that. 

She has people who have been with her since she worked as the district attorney and a lot of her staff went on to work in the Obama administration. If there are a couple of people who didn't like being pushed to succeed, too bad. You can always find people who will complain about anyone.

And it is entirely a gender based issue, have you heard anything about how the males  in the  race treat their staff? Well, Bernie, but no one was interested. She has said she is tough on her staff, she wants them to succeed. She doesn't suffer fools easily. Good.

I fear that there are a lot of people who will not vote for a woman simply because she is a woman. Not that most would admit it, or even be aware of the intrinsic bias.

Biden/Klobuchar ticket with one term for Biden might be a choice.If he runs. And  I haven't made any decisions yet. I just have always respected her intellect in questioning in hearings and her ability to make policy across the aisle. And she has always come across as a real person with real difficulties that have shaped her without canned answers. 

And when Trump trolled her and called her a snowman/woman after her announcement, she replied that at least her hair was able to withstand the snow and rain. His hair is a soft spot for him. Good first response to the Trump Twitter problem.
      dignin said:
      OnWis97 said:
      dignin said:
      I don't know- if you read what some her staff members say about working with Klobuchar (and not the media hype about her being a so-called bully), I'd say she sounds very motivating, inspiring and energizing.

brianlux said:
      dignin said:
      OnWis97 said:
      dignin said:
      I don't know- if you read what some her staff members say about working with Klobuchar (and not the media hype about her being a so-called bully), I'd say she sounds very motivating, inspiring and energizing.
      People close to Hillary said the same thing. That didn't translate to the voters.

I didn't see it.  Read some articles.  Another candidate I need to look into more.  Based on what I read about her answers, she is closer to my political leanings than most if not all of the others.  And I really like her specifically mentioning "compromise".

In reality, this will likely keep her from having a shot at all.  The primaries like radical candidates with crazy promises to the base.  They don't actually look for and reward pragmatism and governing ability.
      Unfortunately you're right. Just got the impression she was being totally honest in her answers. It was really refreshing.

At one point some little millennial asked her if she would support free college for all. And she basically just said "no it's not realistic." The kid looked as if someone ran over his dog. It was great. 
      chinese-happy.jpg
      dignin said:
      brianlux said:
      dignin said:
      OnWis97 said:
      dignin said:
      People close to Hillary said the same thing. That didn't translate to the voters.
      Other than both being female, I don't get the comparison? And this is coming from someone who grew up despising Hilary and her husband....yet voted for her out of necessity in '16.
      chinese-happy.jpg