Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited February 2019 in Other Music
We have crowned our first Champion and now will move onto another critically acclaimed albums.
Back In Black Champion - Hells Bells

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin IV.

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 1 51 votes

Black Dog
5%
tbergshauntingfamiliarSmallestOceans 3 votes
Rock and Roll
19%
2-feign-reluctanceDukeSpiritBIGDaddyWilpledgeagrievanceDewieCoxThirty Bills UnpaidLoujoeHobbesPJ_Soulnjnancy 10 votes
The Battle of Evermore
7%
RS151862Gern BlansteneeriepadaveCsAc99 4 votes
Stairway to Heaven
5%
ed243421brianluxBlack,red,yellow 3 votes
Misty Mountain Hop
15%
Poncierjosevolutionmfc2006cutzHesCalledDyerRoeDawg13tempo_n_groovedrakeheuer14 8 votes
Four Sticks
37%
jeffbrHorse2345facepollutionmookieblalockpjsteelerfandudemanBrainofBGAjoberschlakejjflashdankindBLACK35timdwilliF Me In The BrainOffSheGoes35rummyjoe159Gtilley8ChadplamMeltdown99 19 votes
Going to California
5%
Ledbetterman10madtowndaveOf The Aggie 3 votes
When the Levee Breaks
1%
mcgruff10 1 vote
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Almost impossible to pick one ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Black Dog

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Rock and Roll
    I'm going to have to think about this one, before I pick.  So damn hard.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Black Dog
    Alright, who the hell is voting for Rock and Roll and Misty Mountain Hop? Curses upon you. Four Sticks is the only easy throw away, and I use that term lightly. I only hold the fact that overplay contributes to me not liking Black Dog and Stairway as much as the rest anymore. Going to California and Levee should be in the final.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Rock and Roll
    You did a good one here. Eesh.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Four Sticks
    Tough to pick once we move down a few.  Levee is my early favorite as well but need to spin again and listen with elimination ears.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,604
    Rock and Roll
    Wow. This one will be all over the place...love the drumming esp on levee.
    My lp skipped on rock and roll so it's out. Not feeling mr plant's 'heyyyyy yayhs and ooooh yahhhs' tonight.
    Black Dog
    Just breezed through this album again and really enjoyed Four Sticks more than I remembered. Bonzo's drumming is excellent. Glad I voted Black Dog instead.
  • Rock and Roll
    tbergs said:
    Just breezed through this album again and really enjoyed Four Sticks more than I remembered. Bonzo's drumming is excellent. Glad I voted Black Dog instead.
    Was gonna vote Four Sticks and balked for the exact reason.

Wht a f**king awesome album. One of the best ever for sure.
    Black Dog
    tbergs said:
    Was gonna vote Four Sticks and balked for the exact reason.

Wht a f**king awesome album. One of the best ever for sure.
    Indeed and yet I still place it behind Houses and Physical. Extraordinary run of albums.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Stairway to Heaven
    OK friends, don't behead me for this, but I voted "Stairway to Heaven".   Yes, in many ways it's a great song but there are a number of things that just don't work for me.  1) What the heck is a "stairway to heaven".  2)  "Buy-y-ing-gah stairway? Huh?  3)  It always seemed to go on a bit too long for my tastes.

And of course this one will survive this round at least.  I won't vote it out again unless it comes down to the last round.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Rock and Roll
    Giving it a spin now.
  • Rock and Roll
    brianlux said:
    OK friends, don't behead me for this, but I voted "Stairway to Heaven".   Yes, in many ways it's a great song but there are a number of things that just don't work for me.  1) What the heck is a "stairway to heaven".  2)  "Buy-y-ing-gah stairway? Huh?  3)  It always seemed to go on a bit too long for my tastes.

And of course this one will survive this round at least.  I won't vote it out again unless it comes down to the last round.
    You’re getting beheaded.
    Stairway to Heaven
    brianlux said:

You’re getting beheaded.
    Oh man, and more than I was bargaining for!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Could never get into Zeppelin so I’m gonna do this one as honestly & unbiased as I can. I do at least know the songs.
  • Rock and Roll
    Could never get into Zeppelin so I’m gonna do this one as honestly & unbiased as I can. I do at least know the songs.
    You’ve just uttered words never in the history of the world have been uttered before.
    Rock and Roll
    You’ve just uttered words never in the history of the world have been uttered before.
    I don't know who is the worse offender, Dyer for the above statement or McGruff for admitting he's never listened to them.

Oy. Where did we go wrong? :disappointed:
    Rock and Roll
    Okay, I voted. Fuck, that was tough.
  • Rock and Roll
    Hobbes said:
    Okay, I voted. Fuck, that was tough.

No shit.

It was between R&R and Battle for me. Brutal. Absolutely brutal. F**k MedozK. This selection is a borderline banning.
  • Rock and Roll
    Hobbes said:
    I don't know who is the worse offender, Dyer for the above statement or McGruff for admitting he's never listened to them.

Scruffy.

Geezuz.

Him and Dyer can meet up at the next PJ big ticket show and have yu-gi-oh duels while the rest of us tilt back beers and listen to great music.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited February 2019
    When the Levee Breaks
    Hobbes said:

Scruffy.

Geezuz.

Him and Dyer can meet up at the next PJ big ticket show and have yu-gi-oh duels while the rest of us tilt back beers and listen to great music.
    Lol. You guys have good memories! Never could get into zep, sorry. Maybe I ll give it a listen to tomorrow  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited February 2019
    Love the commentary, that’s why I love doing these. It will get some people to listen to albums that they may have not really looked at while others pull them out after a long hiatus.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Hobbes said:

Scruffy.

Geezuz.

We’ll be at the pizza shop.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Rock and Roll
    You picked Zoso???  Why???

This is like Sophie's Choice with songs - Arrgh......

I know my favorite won't win because I know what's gonna win but this is going to be painful regardless. Spent many hours stoned, lying on my bed in my dorm at Rutgers listening to this cassette on my 'boom' box that some asshole stole with this tape in it. 
    edited February 2019
    Stairway to Heaven
    I'm blown away by the fact that "Going to California is losing.  Plants singing is so good on this one- love it. 

Correction!  I was looking the wrong way- I see it is "Four Sticks", not "Going to California" that is losing.  Sorry!

And runner up loser this far is "Rock and Roll"- another surprise!  Bonham's snare bashing alone  makes it great plus it was often their live opening number.

But then, this is Led Zeppelin IV--  how do you vote out a song off that one?
    Post edited by brianlux on

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Stairway to Heaven
    Too easy

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Stairway to Heaven

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    When the Levee Breaks
    MedozK said:
    I knew this was led zeppelin but never knew it was from this album.  whoa, what an incredible song.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.