Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    I wanted to name her/him (the english language do not have a word to combine these two?) Riot Act. But I guess Agnes is only the right thing to name her.
    You'd say 'I wanted to name it' in English
    But what if its about a human being? You don't say "it" to a human being, or?
    Well you'd know the sex of a human being, in most cases. So you'd say I wanted to name him or her. If there were two or more of different sexes you would say 'I wanted to name them'. 

If you want to take gender completely out of it you could say 'i wanted to name the cat' or I wanted to name the baby'.

Im not talking about cats now, but human. 

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

You don't have the word for when the gender is unknown/unspecified right, you go with "he/she" ?

Just a question.

You keep talking about gender equality in Sweden and yet you call women "Hon"??

;)
    Hey, the pronoun is sveetitz in Finnish.

Kidding!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    I wanted to name her/him (the english language do not have a word to combine these two?) Riot Act. But I guess Agnes is only the right thing to name her.
    Well you'd know the sex of a human being, in most cases. So you'd say I wanted to name him or her. If there were two or more of different sexes you would say 'I wanted to name them'. 

If you want to take gender completely out of it you could say 'i wanted to name the cat' or I wanted to name the baby'.

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

You don't have the word for when the gender is unknown/unspecified right, you go with "he/she" ?

Just a question.

;)

Kidding!
    Could have guessed you would shit on a country that hasn't got a Pearl Jam show in 26 years.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Yes
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

;)

Kidding!
    Could have guessed you would shit on a country that hasn't got a Pearl Jam show in 26 years.
    Has Pearl Jam ever played Estonia? They should play Talinn next tour just to stick it to Finland a little more. :tongue:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • No
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

;)
    Or "Hen", just to piss them off.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

;)

I wonder what language "Toots" is. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Yes
    So the Agnes hangout is tomorrow? What is the game plan?  Maybe you both could hold a pair of scissors together and cut some pizza. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

;)

Toots is Jamaican. So English. You should know that. 

https://youtu.be/6rb13ksYO0s

:wink:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

;)

Toots is Jamaican. So English. You should know that. 

https://youtu.be/6rb13ksYO0s

:wink:
    Ha!

Oh yeah. 

SC, you can get it if you really want.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yes
    What time is the Agnes hang out?

You come up with any ideas on what to do? 

Any updates on progress with Maja?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2019

Its in 3 hours. 

We will pick up my shoes and drink a beer. 

Maja I might meet afterwards for beer. Depending on how much time every thing takes.

Yes, not only beer with one friend of the opposite gender. But two. @mcgruff10 get's his mind blown. *poff*

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Two girls on the same day? Damn, playa!

See the source image
    Yes

Its in 3 hours. 

Maja I might meet afterwards for beer. Depending on how much time every thing takes.

Yes, not only beer with one friend of the opposite gender. But two. @mcgruff10 get's his mind blown. *poff*

Wait wait wait .... Maja’s in the friend zone now? 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Yes

Its in 3 hours. 

Maybe you should introduce the two? With beer. Then more beer.  Then some vodka. Then offer to play games at your home. Kart Mario, Monopoly, Twister, Pokeher(s)...you know, whatever you all agree to play.

Agnes may be more interested if she sees Maja tryin to get at it. Often times, women are like that.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • No
    Wow. Two girls this close to Valentine's Day...
    have fun with that. :naughty:

Yes

Its in 3 hours. 

Damn It sounds like college!!
  • What time is the Agnes hang out?

Its in 3 hours. 

Yeah. I felt it was for the best.
  • No
    Why don't you show some contestants for your cat adoption search? That way we can feel useful.
    Yes
    Why don't you show some contestants for your cat adoption search? That way we can feel useful.
    You are referring to a picture of each Agnes and Maja, right?
  • No
    He has already scrapped those alley cats! ;)

You'd rather see the Tinder contestants, darwinstheory? 
  • No
    He'll tell you what celebrities they look like, won't you S_C?
    Yes
    He has already scrapped those alley cats! ;)

You'd rather see the Tinder contestants, darwinstheory? 
    Fair point. Neither of them agreed to be placed in a backpack for him to lug around.

While I may be more perverse than most, I think we could all agree that this thread would be very accommodating and appropriate for photos of S_C's top 5 Tinder prospects. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just picked up two nice bottles of Pinot Grigio for dinner tonight. Headed to an excellent local Italian place.  
    Isn't part of earing at "excellent" places that they recommend a wine to the dish you pick...?
    There are people who have way better taste in wines than what a restaurant offers honestly (i have people in my family who can do WAY better than any restaurant and have a wine fridge to back it up). But the point of this being legal is to stop allowing the restaurants to crazily gouge people via their bottled wine menus if the customer doesn't want to be crazily gouged. The markup is so high that it was deemed ridiculous, basically, so the law gave consumers another option, since wine is so accepted as a part of a nice meal. Almost like a right to drink wine without being financially raped, lol. That seems like something anyone could get behind!
    Your vision of this practice doesn't meet reality. You seem to be envisioning it as a seedy kind of thing, when in fact it's the opposite.

I did go to a BYOB Mike Watt show in Montana once. Everyone just carried their own booze into this clothing store that had been cleared out and set up with a little stage. It was very strange, and I was surprised it was legal. And there were some people there who got so fucking drunk they couldn't stand and who really caused problems during the show.
    Maybe Swedish sommeliers take their jobs a little more seriously than Canuck sommeliers.

I know that NYC/Brooklyn sommeliers turned us on to some fantastic wines back when we drank wine. There were definitely other restaurants where we'd bring our own, but akin to what S_C was saying, the convenience of having someone whose whole livelihood is basically tied to his/her knowledge of wine and pairing assist you with your choice and sometimes steering you away from your tried and true usual choices did heighten the overall dining out experience -- at least for us.
    Not at all. This was 100% a consumers' rights thing. Sommeliers are just as valued here (my sister is one), and wine pairing meals and stuff are insanely popular still. Hardly anyone does this FYI. It's simply an option legally. But since my sister is a sommelier and my bro-in-law is also a big wine guy, and rich so he has insanely good wines at home that are better than what the restaurant they may be going to, they do this sometimes. But not usually. They don't generally want to bother with that much forethought.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

"It" for animals, "they/them" for people.
    Yes, the common way over here was to say "han/hon" (he/she). But then this old forgotten word "hen" was sort of re-discovered and became the standard in the last 5-10 years. Nifty having one word for it.

And it also encapsules all other gender identities, or do not have to point to genders at all.
    "They" replaced "he/she" for the most part in relatively recent years, even though it's not technically grammatically correct, just because "he/she" seems too clunky. It kind of bugs me that they haven't come up with a new word for this, as the switch from singular to plural here when it's not actually called for is irritating.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes

Its in 3 hours. 

Yeah. I felt it was for the best.

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Its in 3 hours. 

Lol, usually I would say this is not such an unique situation, but in your case I feel like you S_C are still up for everything with both Ladys and that might will cross your chances here. ;) Am I right that you are more searching for a relationship at the end?

I find it a quiet amusing how you mcgruff feel about meeting "friends" of the opposite gender! I thought you are more of a modern guy you know?! Looks like you can handle your patchwork family great. I have a lot of respect for that! I also thought that might be much more difficult to do. But than you can't meet old female friends? :) Hmm… 
    Is this a personal aspect or the common way in America? 
    Luckily we feel different about that on the other side of the ocean. At least from my experiences. I would be lost without my old male friends. If I had to give up old friendships I'm sure my relationship wouldn't last long. That situation would be unbelievable sad! When I meet a guy, there is no risk for my relationship at all. Of course, this requires a lot of trust on all sides. You have to be careful with your friends relationships and make sure the other person know they can trust you too. 
    On the other side there are also heaps of insanely jealous people, so that theory of friendships won't work for them. 

• Proof of beer with Agnes. She laughed about the existence of this thread. 

Whats in the box you Wonder? Well:

Snus (/snuːs/Swedish pronunciation: [ˈsnʉ̟ːs]) is a moist powder tobacco product originating from a variant of dry snuff in early 18th-century Sweden. It is placed in upper lip for extended periods. Snus is not fermented. Although used similarly to American dipping tobacco, snus does not typically result in the need for spitting and, unlike naswar, snus is steam-pasteurized.

Sale of snus is illegal in all the European Union countries except Sweden.[1][2]

• Beer and food with Maja
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    kce8 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Its in 3 hours. 

Lol, usually I would say this is not such an unique situation, but in your case I feel like you S_C are still up for everything with both Ladys and that might will cross your chances here. ;) Am I right that you are more searching for a relationship at the end?

I find it a quiet amusing how you mcgruff feel about meeting "friends" of the opposite gender! I thought you are more of a modern guy you know?! Looks like you can handle your patchwork family great. I have a lot of respect for that! I also thought that might be much more difficult to do. But than you can't meet old female friends? :) Hmm… 
    Is this a personal aspect or the common way in America? 
    Luckily we feel different about that on the other side of the ocean. At least from my experiences. I would be lost without my old male friends. If I had to give up old friendships I'm sure my relationship wouldn't last long. That situation would be unbelievable sad! When I meet a guy, there is no risk for my relationship at all. Of course, this requires a lot of trust on all sides. You have to be careful with your friends relationships and make sure the other person know they can trust you too. 
    On the other side there are also heaps of insanely jealous people, so that theory of friendships won't work for them. 

Yeah I am a modern guy and have a blended family but just can’t see going out for a beer or to dinner with another woman than my wife.  All my married friends, colleagues and family all march to the same drum. Maybe it is a cultural thing?  
  • No
    How are you guys celebrating Valentine's Day? I think I'm going to overdose on chocolate and watch a marathon of "Who the Bleep Did I Marry" on hulu. 

Also, I don't think those were the pictures darwinstheory was hoping for, S_C. ;)