Pearl Jam Selected as 2019 National Record Store Day Ambassadors

Comments

• I don't see how the end of the fan club single has anything to do with independent record stores or RSD. Its not like the band said they are done with vinyl outright.

Because it's funny in an ironic sense. Not that it has something factual to do with it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:
    oh, the irony! 
    My first thought as well.  A supreme example of irony it is!
    I thought the same thing!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the band just cancelled their EXCLUSIVE vinyl annual fan club single, after nearly 30 years of doing so. 

a month later they become the ambassadors for RSD, which is largely EXCLUSIVE vinyl-only. how does that not reek of irony?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    demetrios said:

Damn it, now I can't unsee that font out of alignment issue mentioned by someone else earlier. It has ruined this image for me.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • the band just cancelled their EXCLUSIVE vinyl annual fan club single, after nearly 30 years of doing so. 

a month later they become the ambassadors for RSD, which is largely EXCLUSIVE vinyl-only. how does that not reek of irony?
    Well RSD is all about people and so-called indie stores flipping exclusive records for big bucks, so the whole event is ironic at this point.

The ambassador thing is a joke though.  It just means they'll have some free pins at record store days, for people to flip to PJ fans.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

the band just cancelled their EXCLUSIVE vinyl annual fan club single, after nearly 30 years of doing so. 

Well RSD is all about people and so-called indie stores flipping exclusive records for big bucks, so the whole event is ironic at this point.

The ambassador thing is a joke though.  It just means they'll have some free pins at record store days, for people to flip to PJ fans.
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865

Because RSD is the celebration of independent record stores not fan clubs.

edited February 2019

I mean, this is the best take. 

that being said, I look forward to RSD. Hopefully PJ does something neat like Jack White did when he was the Ambassador (several exclusives, a show, that may have been the year he did the fastest record pressed too, I can't remember).

Post edited by Tim Simmons on

I know. record stores by way of offering exclusive vinyl. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

That's cool. I hope it means they will have something substantial to offer this year on RSD, and that it means we in the fan club won't have to wait in line to get it, but get the option to order it here.
    tbergs said:
    That's cool. I hope it means they will have something substantial to offer this year on RSD, and that it means we in the fan club won't have to wait in line to get it, but get the option to order it here.
    wouldn't that kind of go against everything RSD is for? supporting indie shops?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Would be a great time to put out in good sound quality things that have never been released.....some demos, b-sides from the last 3 records - or maybe that studio version of Baba O'Riley reference in the PJ20 book. I rather something new than re-hash something that's already been out there.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    tbergs said:
    Yes and No. The RSD organizers do give some sort of dispensation to artists for selling stuff via their own sites. 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594

They haven't had anything to piss and moan about since Sunday.  Let them have this.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited February 2019
    LOST DOGS!!!!

Although I have to be honest this is pretty ironic and probably means nothing. Best band they could have possibly chosen but I REALLY REALLY hope I’m wrong in that it means nothing except a pin in the end...
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    For anyone curious who else have been "ambassadors"

https://recordstoreday.com/CustomPage/5725
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    oh, the irony! 
    Thought the same thing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It probably means Ed mumbling something something about vinyl something something it’s great I like it you should buy more records .....
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    Maybe we'll get a button with them on it 
    Thats a good ideal plus some kinda boxset 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    demetrios said:

I would like one please

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    kramer73 said:

They haven't had anything to piss and moan about since Sunday.  Let them have this.
    who is pissing and moaning about anything? all i see is people thinking this is quite funny and ironic. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    MedozK said:
    For anyone curious who else have been "ambassadors"

https://recordstoreday.com/CustomPage/5725
    I was pleasantly surprised that I knew almost every artist. :smile:
    kramer73 said:

who is pissing and moaning about anything? all i see is people thinking this is quite funny and ironic. 
    Complain may be an exaggeration. More like one more topic that quickly turns into a negative based on the responses. Every announcement they've made lately has been ridiculed or picked apart in some way. I get it,  I'm annoyed by the lack of communication and failure to deliver on goods paid for, but it's getting to be a bit much when it bleeds in to every topic on here.
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    edited February 2019
    tbergs said:
    demetrios said:

Damn it, now I can't unsee that font out of alignment issue mentioned by someone else earlier. It has ruined this image for me.

It looks more in place after seeing the actual easy street sign. Maybe it is confirmation that Live At Easy Street will be the RSD release?

Post edited by BR2428 on
    BR2428 said:
    tbergs said:
    demetrios said:

It looks more in place after seeing the actual easy street sign.

Oh, that's good. Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that sign in years. It all makes sense now.
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    this needs to be changed to Mike McCready of Pearl Jam Selected as 2019 National Record Store Day Ambassador..... 

really this is just depressing... it's like pouring salt on an open wound with the discontinuation of the vinyl single... also they should have cut to him pulling out a copy of lightning bolt and saying 'oh i played on this one, i think that was about 5 or 6 years ago'...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • CJ23113CJ23113 Long Island Posts: 187
    After watching the video with Mike. They showed the band playing at easy street. I have a feeling they will release the whole show for RSD
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    tbergs said:
    RSD may have started out to support indie shops, but nowadays it feels like it's just creating an elitist shitstorm. So many items in recent years have been impossible to get, especially overseas.

That said, this is a great opportunity for PJ to do something cool - hell, just getting them to do anything at all is a win.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    I enjoy rsd.

Line up early with a bunch of other obsessive music lovers and a few flippers.
    The joint I go to gives bags of stuff away and I spend money I scrape together to support the whole scene...record stores, musicians...
    If pj has a rsd release I'll line up even earlier...
     It's still fun and I'm happy for pj.

Its only rock and roll.