A quarter of all kindergartners in Washington county aren’t immunized. Now there’s a measles crisis

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
A quarter of all kindergartners in Washington county aren’t immunized. Now there’s a measles crisis

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2019/02/11/measles-spread-anti-vaccination-communities-new-york-clar-county-washington/2812667002/?fbclid=IwAR2qaz-Spfi93Z_F2Lnd_CIbp70XvmuMYaAJc9cbozSZvWmg7xWmXMHqIBw

Who the fuck started this anti-vaxxer movement.  Maybe they need the measles.
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2019/02/11/measles-spread-anti-vaccination-communities-new-york-clar-county-washington/2812667002/?fbclid=IwAR2qaz-Spfi93Z_F2Lnd_CIbp70XvmuMYaAJc9cbozSZvWmg7xWmXMHqIBw

Fucking sad!  Just read that TX has had a few cases of measles and now mumps popping up in the immigration detainee facilities.  It is scary seeing these diseases making a comeback.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

a bunch of ignorant idiots in my opinion.  someone should ask Jenny McCarthy about it.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    pjhawks said:

a bunch of ignorant idiots in my opinion.  someone should ask Jenny McCarthy about it.
    That was the name the name I was searching for. Thank you.  She has been an outspoken anti-vaxxer.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Smart kid....dumb mom.....

Defying Parents, A Teen Decides To Get Vaccinated

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/02/09/692819105/defying-parents-a-teen-decides-to-get-vaccinated
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    America, before the European Continental Conquest, was pretty much disease free.  Connect the dots.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    USA, where people believe fake science and fake news. (the actual fake news Fox, Breirbart, infowars and qnon bullshit)

Wonder what percentage of kids not vaccinated have parents who are also flat earthers?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    America, before the European Continental Conquest, was pretty much disease free.  Connect the dots.
    So you're blaming the immigrants?

Sarcasm
  • Idiots.

The US would do well with an amicable split. Put all the idiots in a few states... give them their idiot leader (obviously Trump- but stated in the event an idiot is reading this)... let them be idiots as much as they please... and let the Americans shackled with stupidity progress.

It's called medicine you f**king morons. It's why we live as long as we do compared to eras when we didn't have great medicine. F**king morons.

The stupidity on display in the US makes a solid case for eugenics. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    All biological systems have disease. There were different diseases than those that came with the Europeans, but they were definitely there. In fact, there’s some evidence that syphilis developed first in the americas and then spread to Europe. Other infectious diseases are endemic to the Americas but didn’t spread much into Europe because the intermediate host stages aren’t present there. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Not a ringing endorsement for Libertarianism  
  • People are mostly stupid. Lucky we have an above average quota of clever folk here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Idiots those parents are ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Imagine the savings to the health care industry if they just dispense with germ control protocols? No more pre op scrub, gloves, masks or gowns. The savings would be tremendous. Maybe Faux News or Putin on the ritz can get it to be a campaign platform in Team Trump Treason’s re-election bid?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Idiots those parents are ! 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    It is a ringing endorsement for Darwinism though.

I'll play devil's advocate here. 

The number of vaccines is out of control.  Human bodies were not meant to be assaulted like this during the first 24 months.  It's traumatizing to infants, physically and emotionally.  It's also being driven by big pharma lobbying.  Any idea how much money is made vaccinating entire populations?  (it's a lot)

The anti-vaxxer movement is a knee-jerk overkill reaction to all of this.  There are way too many vaccines, but they shouldn't be eliminated entirely. 

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    It is a ringing endorsement for Darwinism though.

I'll play devil's advocate here. 

The number of vaccines is out of control.  Human bodies were not meant to be assaulted like this during the first 24 months.  It's traumatizing to infants, physically and emotionally.  It's also being driven by big pharma lobbying.  Any idea how much money is made vaccinating entire populations?  (it's a lot)

The anti-vaxxer movement is a knee-jerk overkill reaction to all of this.  There are way too many vaccines, but they shouldn't be eliminated entirely. 

First, that chart isn't completely accurate, particularly regarding the influenza vaccination, which is recommended yearly, not every six months.

Second, on what scientific basis do you say that the current schedule is "out of control" or excessive? Simply having more vaccines than 35 years ago isn't a reason; maybe the schedule in 1983 was too little. Which ones would you say are unnecessary?

There's no scientific basis to a claim that human bodies can't deal with this level of immunization. Everything an infant is exposed to from the time it's born is a new foreign antigen, and bodies deal with that very well. The immune system could handle far more immunization than the current schedule. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Who really cares if some parents don't want to vaccinate or use an alternative vaccination schedule that spreads out the shots more as they get older. The world is over populated anyway. The only risk are the weak and non-vaccinated, right?

Once they get to be adults, they can go ahead and get all the vaccinations they want if they choose. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    brianlux said:
    All biological systems have disease. There were different diseases than those that came with the Europeans, but they were definitely there. In fact, there’s some evidence that syphilis developed first in the americas and then spread to Europe. Other infectious diseases are endemic to the Americas but didn’t spread much into Europe because the intermediate host stages aren’t present there. 
    Yes, disease in all systems are in place to keep a balance.  The weak are weeded out.  Simple Darwinism. 

But the fact remains, Europe was far more riddled with disease than pre-European North America.   Why is this?  Because Europeans did not live in balance with nature.  The continent was over-population.  The forest were all cut down.  Cats carried the flees that spread the plague in Europe but then, because of superstitions, those same cats that could have help kill of the rats were killed off.

Etc., etc. 

Europeans were far more disease ridden than Native Americans and First nations peoples. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tbergs said:
    Who really cares if some parents don't want to vaccinate or use an alternative vaccination schedule that spreads out the shots more as they get older. The world is over populated anyway. The only risk are the weak and non-vaccinated, right?

Once they get to be adults, they can go ahead and get all the vaccinations they want if they choose. 
    because it's the old, the very young, and those with compromised immune systems that suffer from it. not just the ones that don't get vaccinated. herd immunity works for a reason. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:

because it's the old, the very young, and those with compromised immune systems that suffer from it. not just the ones that don't get vaccinated. herd immunity works for a reason. 
    Right, like I said, the weak and non-vaccinated. We'd be wise to thin the herd anyway.
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Right, like I said, the weak and non-vaccinated. We'd be wise to thin the herd anyway.
    I'd prefer my daughter not be part of that "thinning", thank you very much. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

If we were to take a wholly objective view of vaccinations we might have to come to the conclusion that in the long run, they are not helpful.  The human species is overpopulated partly because we choose to reproduce widely and partly because we have been successful in extending life through medical means- everything from hernia repair to heart surgery to vaccines.  We have cheated basic Darwinism.  I'm not saying I'm except from this.  Modern medicine has likely save my life a few times.  But objectively speaking, is our ability to cheat death good for us?  Can any of us seriously say objectively, this is a good thing in the long run?  I can't.

brianlux said:
    If we were to take a wholly objective view of vaccinations we might have to come to the conclusion that in the long run, they are not helpful.  The human species is overpopulated partly because we choose to reproduce widely and partly because we have been successful in extending life through medical means- everything from hernia repair to heart surgery to vaccines.  We have cheated basic Darwinism.  I'm not saying I'm except from this.  Modern medicine has likely save my life a few times.  But objectively speaking, is our ability to cheat death good for us?  Can any of us seriously say objectively, this is a good thing in the long run?  I can't.
    objectively speaking, of course our species is weaker for it. we have defied natural selection. without treatment my daughter would be dead right now. but you can't put the cat back in that bag. not ethically, anyway. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2019
    brianlux said:
    objectively speaking, of course our species is weaker for it. we have defied natural selection. without treatment my daughter would be dead right now. but you can't put the cat back in that bag. not ethically, anyway. 
    No, of course not!  Even though I never reproduce, I understand.  I have 16 children by way of a step daughter, godchildren, great godchildren, nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews.  They are like my own children and I can't bear the thought of losing any of them.* 

But generally speaking, I think it is healthy for us to take an objective view of how we as humans go about our way of living and how that affects the world that sustains us and our own longevity as a species.

*As an interesting side note- and I am making no claims either way saying this- but the fact is, five of those children (all now adults) have never had any immunizations whatsoever and of the fifteen total, those five have always been the healthiest and strongest. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    This is the cause of so many of earth's problems.  I have no problem saying I'm anti-immigration, legally or illegally.  People need to stay in thier own neck of the woods and start fixing their own problems.  I've had many, many people say Canada is a great big country, we can take in loads ... no, we can't.  Take a look at where most of Canada's population is located.  We are the 2nd coldest country on earth, the vast majority of this country no one wants to call home because of less than ideal weather.  The current government wants to bring 400 thousand a year, and many of these people are coming from countries where childbirth seems to be a hobby...

In Toronto, Canada largest city people struggle to find affordable housing now...Toronto is likely running out of room to expand because there is a protected greenbelt that hinders Toronto ability to expand...

Give Peas A Chance…
    How nice for those lucky enough to be born in safe, secure, wealthy countries to decide that others can't share that.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    No, of course not!  Even though I never reproduce, I understand.  I have 15 children by way of godchildren, great godchildren, nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews.  They are like my own children and I can't bear the thought of losing any of them.* 

But generally speaking, I think it is healthy for us to take an objective view of how we as humans go about our way of living and how that affects the world that sustains us and our own longevity as a species.

*As an interesting side note- and I am making no claims either way saying this- but the fact is, five of those children (all now adults) have never had any immunizations whatsoever and of the fifteen total, those five have always been the healthiest and strongest. 
    I think it's an interesting point and one most of the population now disregards. I know of very few people who even question any type of immunizations, if they are truly necessary and what the side effects are. Yet, those who don't get vaccinations are called idiots, possible flat earthers or Trump supporters. Why the universal acceptance of all vaccinations? I am ultimately not for or against them. I can go either way depending on individual circumstances and where in the world you are travelling or live. There is legitimate concern over some diseases and instilled fear over others based on what big pharma is selling.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    This is the cause of so many of earth's problems.  I have no problem saying I'm anti-immigration, legally or illegally.  People need to stay in thier own neck of the woods and start fixing their own problems.  I've had many, many people say Canada is a great big country, we can take in loads ... no, we can't.  Take a look at where most of Canada's population is located.  We are the 2nd coldest country on earth, the vast majority of this country no one wants to call home because of less than ideal weather.  The current government wants to bring 400 thousand a year, and many of these people are coming from countries where childbirth seems to be a hobby...

In Toronto, Canada largest city people struggle to find affordable housing now...Toronto is likely running out of room to expand because there is a protected greenbelt that hinders Toronto ability to expand...

I’m fine with legal immigration and think that those coming here should be evaluated and vaccinated for things like measles and mumps.   I also think it is neglectful to not get a child vaccinated to known debilitating diseases.  Pull up some pictures of polio wards if you do not think vaccinations are important.  Anti-vaxers are nothing short of dumbasses in my personal opinion, on the same level as flat-earthers.