2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    PB11041 said:
    One thing that is quite overlooked is that the band has a pretty specific goal in playing venues and not all venues want to play by their rules or even meet them on some terms.  The types of arenas you have more flex access to are not in major cities, but they are also not the ones that tend to want to adhere to what the bands (not just pearl jam) want to do.  

Perfect example, the Times Union Center in Albany NY, it has finally hopefully come to grips with how to attract acts and work with them whereas for about the last decade prior it was a bureaucratic mess and bands would just fly over the venue on tours because the people running it were as I understand it a nightmare to work with.  

2006 Albany is one of my favorite shows.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    vedpunk said:
    This won't be popular but they really should charge more for tickets and offer VIP and Platinum packages.  The per show earnings would definitely motivate them to do a proper arena tour and less festivals. 

Paying $250 for premium quality vs $100 for standing in the mud like sardines for 10 hours with bratty children ****ing in bottles who dont buy albums. Premium tickets for premium band worth every penny.

They are nearing the end of their touring careers. How many US shows do they have left in them... 70? Why waste it on kids shoving you to the ground who will never buy an album anyway?
    70 shows left? Lol
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:
    One thing that is quite overlooked is that the band has a pretty specific goal in playing venues and not all venues want to play by their rules or even meet them on some terms.  The types of arenas you have more flex access to are not in major cities, but they are also not the ones that tend to want to adhere to what the bands (not just pearl jam) want to do.  

Perfect example, the Times Union Center in Albany NY, it has finally hopefully come to grips with how to attract acts and work with them whereas for about the last decade prior it was a bureaucratic mess and bands would just fly over the venue on tours because the people running it were as I understand it a nightmare to work with.  

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:

Was pretty lucky given it was the only 2006 show I got to, it was a fun set, and they played a ton of the new record.  The only song they overlooked that bummed me out was Inside Job.  But overall it was a good night, dropped a handful of deep cuts too, killer Porch (though they had several in 06) and I actually love hearing Alive to end the show.  Had that at Garden 98, and they should do it more often, end shows with their classics as opposed to Baba/Rockin then Ledbetter which has become fairly predictable. 

Went in 2003 too, which also was pretty good given a mid-week night versus the Friday in 2006.  I prefer the 2006 show overall though. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    PB11041 said:
    Get_Right said:
    PB11041 said:

Was pretty lucky given it was the only 2006 show I got to, it was a fun set, and they played a ton of the new record.  The only song they overlooked that bummed me out was Inside Job.  But overall it was a good night, dropped a handful of deep cuts too, killer Porch (though they had several in 06) and I actually love hearing Alive to end the show.  Had that at Garden 98, and they should do it more often, end shows with their classics as opposed to Baba/Rockin then Ledbetter which has become fairly predictable. 

Went in 2003 too, which also was pretty good given a mid-week night versus the Friday in 2006.  I prefer the 2006 show overall though. 
    Second encore is what made that show great. Satan's Bed and Rats blew me away that night.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096

Sorry about that experience. Imagine it replicated in the mud, with no bathrooms nearby, jammed in with aggressive teens with poor sanitary habits.
    Why do you keep assuming festivals are like this after account after account on here of people saying you are WRONG???

We get it.
    You don't like festivals and would rather see Pearl Jam in a big concrete metal building with piss poor sound. 

Different strokes for different folks. Accept it and move on. 
    He's talking about one specific festival, in reference to a bad experience I had at a mega concert. 

That festival was a bad experience for many people. Doesn't mean all festivals since then sucked. 

You don't have to criticize everyone who expresses a negative opinion about a festival. You like them, I think you have expressed that quite forcefully in this thread. 

• DWP founder Danny Wimmer and Senior Vice President of Festival Talent Gary Spivack mention a couple bands they have been in talks with or have interest in booking in the future. They are asked about the overall health of rock music and their take on people claiming rock is dead. Danny Wimmer states “I’m so excited right now. We have the Foo Fighters and Tool this year and have had Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers involved over the years. We’re talking to Pearl Jam for the first time, though nothing is confirmed on that end yet.”

http://metalnexus.net/danny-wimmer-presents-executives-name-drop-potential-future-headliners/
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Sorry about that experience. Imagine it replicated in the mud, with no bathrooms nearby, jammed in with aggressive teens with poor sanitary habits.
    Why do you keep assuming festivals are like this after account after account on here of people saying you are WRONG???

We get it.
    You don't like festivals and would rather see Pearl Jam in a big concrete metal building with piss poor sound. 

Because only you understand right vs wrong, good vs. bad. And only fans believing festivals are best deserve to post. 

I'd love to be commenting on an upcoming album, tour, or the band's admission for the specific reasons THESE expectations were raised , but lets sidetrack all that with ANOTHER stadium or festival...

Better sound at a festival ROFL.
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:
    This won't be popular but they really should charge more for tickets and offer VIP and Platinum packages.  The per show earnings would definitely motivate them to do a proper arena tour and less festivals. 

Paying $250 for premium quality vs $100 for standing in the mud like sardines for 10 hours with bratty children ****ing in bottles who dont buy albums. Premium tickets for premium band worth every penny.

They are nearing the end of their touring careers. How many US shows do they have left in them... 70? Why waste it on kids shoving you to the ground who will never buy an album anyway?
    70 shows left? Lol

Count instead of laugh my friend.

US shows.

They barely play that many in their 50s. How many US shows (not benefits not abbreviated festivals, US shows with PJ fans):

40+ in the last 5 years?

How many do you think they will be playing in their late 50s & 60s?
    njnancy said:

We get it.

He's talking about one specific festival, in reference to a bad experience I had at a mega concert. 

That festival was a bad experience for many people. Doesn't mean all festivals since then sucked. 

You don't have to criticize everyone who expresses a negative opinion about a festival. You like them, I think you have expressed that quite forcefully in this thread. 

Thanks...I'd point out I fully support them playing a few festivals, *if they address their overall lack of US touring or *expectations raised by their "forthcoming" album featuring Cant Deny Me

...and just state Woodstock is a short term detour unlike whatever that was in their recent RS interview.
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

They barely play that many in their 50s. How many US shows (not benefits not abbreviated festivals, US shows with PJ fans):

40+ in the last 5 years?

They have played 70+ shows in North America in the last 5 years... 
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

48 shows in NA in 2014 (14), 2015 (2), 2016 (25), 2017 (0), 2018 (7) combined.
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

I think that would be pulling in fall of 2013 to that, 2014 through 2018, the last five years, it has only been 45 PJ shows, and that even includes Bonnaroo, ACL, Telluride etc.  So truthfully over the last 5 years they have averaged less than 10 shows in the US a year.  

I still think they have a large tour or two in them left, but I honestly think they need to collectively figure out how to shake things up a little.  They did that in the fall of 2013.  

Also would think they could do a pretty good job headlining their own traveling festival, I'd like to see them do what they did at PJ 20 and bring it out and about with something like the HORDE used to be, when the Horse headlined in 1997 it was great.  

As they head into their older age, I would really hope they find a way to go out with dignity.  The rock til you drop approach of the Stones doesn't really do it for me.  

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I see why people compare PJ to the Rolling Stones but they really are quite different in terms of their public history and how they present(ed) themselves on stage.

Eddie never girated around the stage like Jagger so the creepiness factor of being a rock frontman into your sixties isn't the same.

(I like to add more points but typing this on an iPhone 5 really sucks).
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    PB11041 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

I think that would be pulling in fall of 2013 to that, 2014 through 2018, the last five years, it has only been 45 PJ shows, and that even includes Bonnaroo, ACL, Telluride etc.  So truthfully over the last 5 years they have averaged less than 10 shows in the US a year.  

I still think they have a large tour or two in them left, but I honestly think they need to collectively figure out how to shake things up a little.  They did that in the fall of 2013.  

Also would think they could do a pretty good job headlining their own traveling festival, I'd like to see them do what they did at PJ 20 and bring it out and about with something like the HORDE used to be, when the Horse headlined in 1997 it was great.  

As they head into their older age, I would really hope they find a way to go out with dignity.  The rock til you drop approach of the Stones doesn't really do it for me.  
    Horde Festival was great! Seeing Neil w/ Crazy Horse in Tinley Park in a legit thunderstorm was awesome as shit! That part of the show would absolutely be canceled these days. Would REALLY love a copy of this performance. 

I was also 15 then. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    rummy said:
    I see why people compare PJ to the Rolling Stones but they really are quite different in terms of their public history and how they present(ed) themselves on stage.

Eddie never girated around the stage like Jagger so the creepiness factor of being a rock frontman into your sixties isn't the same.

This is a great point.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    rummy said:

This is a great point.
    Yeah the hell with Jagger gyrations.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

We get it.

I've been to good festivals and bad festivals. If anything is constant it's that sound inside beats sound outside.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

The band members are already in their mid to late 50's and Boom is in his 60's. 

I'd just like to point out, that being in your 50's doesn't make you an old person or mean you are no longer capable of being a musician.  There are many fans on here who are working and having successful careers and lives and are in their 50's. Active healthy lives. Or whatever lives they choose, but are in complete control of their faculties both mentally and physically. I mean, come on. 

They are musicians so they know how to do this, it's muscle memory. A tour might sound exhausting if you are not a person who has been doing that your entire adult life, but they have been touring and traveling and surfing and skateboarding just fine. When they do. 

They are not doing a cirque d soleil show - they are playing instruments and singing songs. They know how to do this and  their age is not a valid excuse. 

I'm in my 50's and it really hits a nerve when their age is constantly referred to as if they are old men, in their twilight years. That's ridiculous. Why they aren't dong more of what we want has nothing do with age, refer to Jeff's zest for creating and touring in that article. I don't know what that answer is, but it's not because they are in their *gasp* 50's. 

Please stop (general request, not specific to anyone) insulting a large portion of the fan base and the band by writing off anyone over 50 as incapable of working hard and thriving. .And being led off to some old home for legacy acts. 

Thank you. 

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    njnancy said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

The band members are already in their mid to late 50's and Boom is in his 60's. 

I'd just like to point out, that being in your 50's doesn't make you an old person or mean you are no longer capable of being a musician.  There are many fans on here who are working and having successful careers and lives and are in their 50's. Active healthy lives. Or whatever lives they choose, but are in complete control of their faculties both mentally and physically. I mean, come on. 

They are musicians so they know how to do this, it's muscle memory. A tour might sound exhausting if you are not a person who has been doing that your entire adult life, but they have been touring and traveling and surfing and skateboarding just fine. When they do. 

They are not doing a cirque d soleil show - they are playing instruments and singing songs. They know how to do this and  their age is not a valid excuse. 

I'm in my 50's and it really hits a nerve when their age is constantly referred to as if they are old men, in their twilight years. That's ridiculous. Why they aren't dong more of what we want has nothing do with age, refer to Jeff's zest for creating and touring in that article. I don't know what that answer is, but it's not because they are in their *gasp* 50's. 

Please stop (general request, not specific to anyone) insulting a large portion of the fan base and the band by writing off anyone over 50 as incapable of working hard and thriving. .And being led off to some old home for legacy acts. 

Thank you. 

I don't think anyone is slagging on the fan base as being incapable of working hard in their 50s. I think its directed toward the band😁
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    PB11041 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

Horde Festival was great! Seeing Neil w/ Crazy Horse in Tinley Park in a legit thunderstorm was awesome as shit! That part of the show would absolutely be canceled these days. Would REALLY love a copy of this performance. 

I was also 15 then. 
    There are few good tapes of the festival, I can't say for sure there is one of Tinley Park show.  

pjl44 said:

We get it.

I've been to good festivals and bad festivals. If anything is constant it's that sound inside beats sound outside.
    That is not a constant, it all depends on your vantage point in any setting. At Randall's Island 1996, the bands sound was fantastic and full. I was back of the mob both nights probably 20 yards left of and up from the mixing desk tower. 

I've been in arenas at times when it has been a jumbled mess, in 1998 to me, if you were not in the first part of the floor or side 100s near the overhead stacks the sound could be quite distorted.  

Fenway Park 2016 I was A's row 13, Mike's side.  That was the best I have ever heard Pearl Jam's live audio sound.  Every instrument was crystal clear.  

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    PB11041 said:
    pjl44 said:

We get it.

That is not a constant, it all depends on your vantage point in any setting. At Randall's Island 1996, the bands sound was fantastic and full. I was back of the mob both nights probably 20 yards left of and up from the mixing desk tower. 

I've been in arenas at times when it has been a jumbled mess, in 1998 to me, if you were not in the first part of the floor or side 100s near the overhead stacks the sound could be quite distorted.  

Fenway Park 2016 I was A's row 13, Mike's side.  That was the best I have ever heard Pearl Jam's live audio sound.  Every instrument was crystal clear.  
    The sound at Fenway truly was a pleasant surprise.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    JimmyV said:
    PB11041 said:
    pjl44 said:

We get it.

The sound at Fenway truly was a pleasant surprise.
    yes,cos they have one of th best in usa guys in charge of the sound
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited February 2019
    CopperTom said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

You forgot 2013, counted that because we just started 2019 and the 2013 tour ended in December

So 70 shows in the last 5.5 years for the nitpickers 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,623
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:
    CopperTom said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

You forgot 2013, counted that because we just started 2019 and the 2013 tour ended in December

5.166666666666666666666 is more accurate. 
    PJNB said:
    my2hands said:
    CopperTom said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

Well lol... the tour started in October... and I'm counting London & Wrigley from July 2013 as well lol
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

I was also 15 then. 
    There are few good tapes of the festival, I can't say for sure there is one of Tinley Park show.  
    As far as a good tape perspective, I would doubt there is a good quality version. Storms were bad. Lightening took out all the amplifiers that weren't on the stage. Most of the lawn section crammed under the pavilion or they left. People mud sliding and getting taken away on stretchers. I ran up and found someone from the front leaving and asked for their ticket stub. They had 3rd row and gave it to me.

By the time I got there, I was only able to get up to 5th row. Standing on the seat and my feet were still in water. At one point, someone came from back stage and told Neil to shut it down. He pushed them away and played a few more tunes.

Back then, it was a really awesome concert experience. There is literally a zero percent chance that show happens these days.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,623
    my2hands said:
    PJNB said:
    my2hands said:
    CopperTom said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:

70 shows left? Lol

US shows.

40+ in the last 5 years?

Well lol... the tour started in October... and I'm counting London & Wrigley from July 2013 as well lol

We need a new tour.....
    I'm ready for new music, followed by a tour... but I will take either