MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawks said:
    Dingers are good and fun
    wait I thought you were one of the OBP guys back in the day who ripped on guys who just hit home runs and struck out a lot, like my boy Ryan?  now that you have these on your team you've come around that wow hitting a shit load of home runs is good?  

the only reason pitchers don't hit better is because they don't work at it. don't blame the rule blame the players. AL baseball is awful.

"I want a team that walks and mashes," Cashman said. "And if you can mash and hit home runs, then you can hit singles and doubles, too. We're not going to hit triples. But we're built the way we are for a reason.

"I'm still using the Gene Michael playbook, and this is about getting big, hairy monsters that mash and are selective at the plate. There's a reason we're perennially at the top of runs scored."

Big. Hairy. Monsters
    Image result for baseball  emek
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    Dingers are good and fun
    wait I thought you were one of the OBP guys back in the day who ripped on guys who just hit home runs and struck out a lot, like my boy Ryan?  now that you have these on your team you've come around that wow hitting a shit load of home runs is good?  

the only reason pitchers don't hit better is because they don't work at it. don't blame the rule blame the players. AL baseball is awful.

"I want a team that walks and mashes," Cashman said. "And if you can mash and hit home runs, then you can hit singles and doubles, too. We're not going to hit triples. But we're built the way we are for a reason.

"I'm still using the Gene Michael playbook, and this is about getting big, hairy monsters that mash and are selective at the plate. There's a reason we're perennially at the top of runs scored."

Big. Hairy. Monsters
    Image result for baseball  emek
    Boom.  Even Pearl Jam agrees.  Big. Hairy. Monsters
  • It's almost noon on the west coast and nothing has happened...

Harper/Machado watch 2019 still in full effect!!!

• Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

Dueling proposals from MLB on Jan. 14 and the union on Friday covered a wide range of topics, according to sources. Among them include:

• A three-batter minimum for pitchers

• A universal designated hitter

• A single trade deadline before the All-Star break

• A 20-second pitch clock

• The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum

• Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams

• A study to lower the mound

• A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts

I want the mound raised, not lowered...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

Dueling proposals from MLB on Jan. 14 and the union on Friday covered a wide range of topics, according to sources. Among them include:

You like strikeouts that much?

• Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

You like strikeouts that much?
    I like pitchers having better odds.  They can throw pitches that become ground balls too.  

The game is all geared towards a hitter.

And yes, I like the strikeout.

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson
    I miss igotid88
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson
    ESPN is so focused on NBA trades this news still isn't on their website. Pathetic.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson
    ESPN is so focused on NBA trades this news still isn't on their website. Pathetic.
    ESPN is terrible anymore. I don't even bother...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson
    Oh man this is horrible...

A real All Time great!

RIP
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited February 2019
    Baseball lost a good one today, for sure!  First black manager, only player to win MVP in both leagues, World Series Champion, Hall of Famer.
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    R.I.P to HOF Frank Robinson.

Just heard that he played on a State HS Basketball Championship team with Bill Russell.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    RIP, Frank Robinson.

Realmuto to Phillies, btw.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    RIP, Frank Robinson.

I posted up above.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson

A real All Time great!

RIP
    awww man, RIP, 2nd greatest Oriole? (sorry i'm a Cal Ripken Jr. fan)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson

A real All Time great!

RIP
    Best Oriole.  Brooks Robinson is second followed by Ripken and Murray.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 said:
    RIP, Frank Robinson.

I posted up above.

Didn't see that. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Disabled list will be the injured list
    I miss igotid88
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Frank Robinson

A real All Time great!

RIP
    Best Oriole.  Brooks Robinson is second followed by Ripken and Murray.
    Agree with this. Loved watching Ripken and Murray.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing potentially drastic changes to the on-field game and economic landscape of the sport in the middle of a collective bargaining agreement, a significant departure from the past that speaks to the chasm between the parties but represents a thaw in the chill that has divided the sides, sources familiar with the talks told ESPN.

When will they be adding a 5th base? 4 are just too boring.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin said:

You know the mound was originally higher right?
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JK_Livin said:

I apologize, that wasn't directed at you. It was in response to that entire list of changes.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    If the mound is raised, there will be a no hitter every night and offense is going to go way down, more than it already is.  The ball needs to be put in play more
  • If the mound is raised, there will be a no hitter every night and offense is going to go way down, more than it already is.  The ball needs to be put in play more
    Hmmm.  There wasn't a no hitter every other day when the mound was higher so what will change now?  

If anything the ball would be in play more rather than over the fence.  Small ball is exciting when there are hits and stolen bases and squeeze plays.

Raise the mound and the batter will be more focused on contact rather than a damn "trajectory".

Just my thoughts.

Your counter?
  • JK_Livin said:
    JK_Livin said:

I apologize, that wasn't directed at you. It was in response to that entire list of changes.
    Cool, I get your comment now, lol.  Maybe have a random 2nd ball thrown at the batter for extra points?!?
    If the mound is raised, there will be a no hitter every night and offense is going to go way down, more than it already is.  The ball needs to be put in play more
    Hmmm.  There wasn't a no hitter every other day when the mound was higher so what will change now?  

If anything the ball would be in play more rather than over the fence.  Small ball is exciting when there are hits and stolen bases and squeeze plays.

Raise the mound and the batter will be more focused on contact rather than a damn "trajectory".

Just my thoughts.

Your counter?
    That the game was different when the mound was higher.

I don't think players will make any contact if the mound is higher
  • If the mound is raised, there will be a no hitter every night and offense is going to go way down, more than it already is.  The ball needs to be put in play more

Just my thoughts.

Your counter?
    That the game was different when the mound was higher.

I don't think players will make any contact if the mound is higher
    Interesting.

The game has not evolved in a way that the pitchers dominate like they did in the late 60's.

There were only 19 pitchers w more than 10 wins in the AL w an ERA under 6.

Yes a 6 era, lol.  Ony 5 pitchers w innings to qualify had an era lower than 3 and only 1 lower than a 2.  The NL was slightly better w 6 pitchers and an era under 3.

I'm fine w the mound where it is but certainly don't want it lowered anymore.  I wonder if it would be by far more beneficial to the batter in the sense of a HR derby contest where the pitcher is on flat ground with hardly any delivery angle?

If the game becomes all homeruns I won't find that entertaining at all.  I watch that style of play once a year during the AS break.