Global Warming

2»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    The National Post is a solid newspaper.  I'm not going to debates such silliness anymore...

If you believe the Japenese are even being even 1/2 truthful, well that's your choice. 
    What the fuck did you read in my posts, Melty?   Have some more coffee my friend!  :lol:
    Yeah, par for the course :) 
    You are a real piece of work, but I suspect you know that already...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:
    The National Post is a solid newspaper.  I'm not going to debates such silliness anymore...

If you believe the Japenese are even being even 1/2 truthful, well that's your choice. 
    What the fuck did you read in my posts, Melty?   Have some more coffee my friend!  :lol:
    I was just joking about something there- don't even remember what.  Now look what i started!

Anyway, drinks on me in the lounge for you both.  Kiss, shake hands, whatever it takes. It's so much more fun to get along and be friends than it is to fight.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

CM189191 said:
    My fellow Americans: the crisis of climate change can no longer be ignored, and Congress will not act fast enough.  Powerful forces are at work, and by any standard this crisis is an emergency, so following the precedent set by President Trump, I am today declaring the following actions.

First, the Federal government will immediately seize certain oil and natural gas facilities and lands.
    All refining facilities will be closed. Oil and natural gas lands will be re-purposed for solar and wind power only, and we will offer job retraining for their owners. The Federal government will control these lands in perpetuity to prevent additional damage to the climate. This is a hard step, and we do not take it lightly, by as President Trump seized hundreds of thousands of acres of land under eminent domain, we have followed his precedent to the letter, because the climate emergency demands it.  To prevent any illegal drilling, I am ordering the U.S. military to build appropriate walls, fences, minefields, and other security structures around these lands and facilities. 

Walls work, in the words of President Trump, and this emergency demands them.  We will also take Federal action to end the lawless behavior of Carbon Sanctuary States. Because of this emergency, Federal power must trumps the rights of the states. It's an *emergency*.  Carbon Sanctuary States endanger us all, and they must be brought to heel.

-President Warren 
    Dear President Liz,

Thank you so much for your efforts to lessen the severity of global warming.  Off course, as we know, lessening it's effects is all we have left to hope for.  It can't be stopped in our life time or our children's lifetime. 

But as you know, lessening the effects of global warming will be difficult.  Building solar panels, hybrid and/or electric cars, etc. takes energy and requires destructive mining.  We will have to use oil for a time and continue mining in order to build these things.  And those things will only last so long, so more will have to be manufactured.  Those are sacrifices to the planet we'll have to live with. 

I would suggest that to lessen those sacrifices, each of would do well to strive to live more simply, share what we can, live closer to work, walk more, have more no-drive days, ride share, use public transit, reduce our energy consumption more, buy and use the most durable goods, eat less meat, and most of all, reproduce at lower rates.  There is no way 7.6 billion people can live the way the average first-world person does.  Not even with solar panels and electric cars.  That is just not feasible. 

Good luck to us all!

Brian
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:

I guess you missed the smiling and laughing emojis, which typically indicate jokes, but your reaction isn’t surprising. 

Maybe you could just chill out sometimes, instead of jumping down people’s throats. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:

I guess you missed the smiling and laughing emojis, which typically indicate jokes, but your reaction isn’t surprising. 

Maybe you could just chill out sometimes, instead of jumping down people’s throats. 
    Priceless!!
    hippiemom = goodness
    We need some Global Moving Train Cooling.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

Like ice cubes in the wine, you mean?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:

Like ice cubes in the wine, you mean?
    LOL! 

In white wine, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. 

In red wine?  Ummm, if you happen to run into Mr. McGruff, word has it that the conductor would like to have a word with him about that.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I have for years had this theory that the human race is subconsciously suicidal.  But of course that theory could be refuted with the counter argument that as a species, we are generally lazy, selfish, short sighted and stupid.  Either way, we're fucked.

But I still advocate for doing what makes sense no matter what the outcome.  Feel good about and take more no-drive days, recycle everything possible, use less, buy the most durable product you can find, eat less (or no) meat, boycott all sea food, support environmentally conscious businesses, lower the thermostat in the winter, raise it in the summer, take a "staycation" instead of flying all over the world, participate in a beach clean up day.   There are so many things each person can do to make a difference. 
    Your theory might correct...

Just look at all the past and current wars there have been.  Just look at 9/11, I believe the US had a surge in people who enlisted, to voluntarily go off to war.  That seems suicidal.
    Interesting notion- enlisting to go to war as a suicidal tendency.  What a shitty way to go.
    DBC or SBC

Death By Cop or Suicide By Cop

When you die, yep you guessed it, death by a cop.
  • Anybody ever read this article?

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    Good gawd, the man is such an idiot.  When we have a president that doesn't understand that local weather has little to nothing to do with global climate, you know we're in trouble.

brianlux said:
    Good gawd, the man is such an idiot.  When we have a president that doesn't understand that local weather has little to nothing to do with global climate, you know we're in trouble.
    He should head over to visit our friends down under...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Good idea!  Yeah, might give him a little perspective.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Good idea!  Yeah, might give him a little perspective.
    It sure would.  I'll take the cold any day over what Australia is dealing with...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:

:lol:

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    There is no global warming. The most brilliant intelligent president ever in the history of ever said so.
    Here's evidence from the "beautiful midwest ".....

There is no global warming. The most brilliant intelligent president ever in the history of ever said so.
    Here's evidence from the "beautiful midwest ".....

warm in omaha today, -29 here

also, say 'hi' to M's Pub for me
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    It will be interesting to see in the upcoming year during how much climate change is brought up in the election process in the USA.  I sense not much.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just out this video in the other global warming but will put here to.

fife said:
    just out this video in the other global warming but will put here to.

Great speech and that last minute or so, damn.  That got me.

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    brianlux said:
    Yes come on over😂 His orange pips would start cooking from the inside like the fruit on our trees have been!
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Feel for the homeless it's making big news in Australia too.
    https://www.facebook.com/125982670754724/posts/2363840206968948/
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    OMG!  This is the first time in history it’s gotten cold in the Midwest!  It’s usually in the 70’s this time of year. 
    Although I am well aware of the fact that local weather has little to do with the overall situation with global climate, the following pictures taken by my wife yesterday at least represent some of what is going on.  There have been several scientific  reports that the erratic weather patterns in western North America are global warming related.  The Sierras had a huge snow pack this year and another friend posted elsewhere that Colorado received 1,178% above the average snowfall this last winter. 

I've never seen this much snow at 8,000 feet (2438 meters) in mid June.  Yesterday's little jaunt was a nice reprieve from the high 90's we are getting here today at 2,000 feet (600 meters).

The most snow-free place we stopped at...

...and a more typical scene taken at Shot Rock on Calif Hwy 88 at 7,600 feet (2316 meter).  The highest snow there was a good 10 to 12 feet deep (about 3.5 meters):