The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    My untouchables from this team: Giroux(unless a ridiculous offer came forth that could properly reset/rebuild this team), Hart, Provorov, Sanheim and Konecny. 
    Everyone else is available.
    and Gritty :tongue:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    So who's going to be the top player drafted?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    don't get why people think G is untouchable. because he gets a lot of assists?  good player, not great.   Haven't won a playoff series in what 7 years with him as Captain?  time to move on from the veterans on this team.  they just aren't good enough. Unfortunately the guy who is still in charge, Holmgren, gave G and Voracek deals that make it hard to trade them.

Best asset to trade is probably Couturier.  Young enough and cheap enough to get good value for him.

Untouchables for me Hart, Provy, and Konecny.  Sanheim would have to be blown away to trade him but wouldn't say totally untouchable.

Patrick is so disappointing. he seemed to get better in 2nd half of last year but has regressed again. as a 2nd pick in the draft he has to be better moving forward.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    JK_Livin said:
    Jack Hughes, who is a legit #1 overall/franchise center
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited January 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Yeah it is a race between a small group of teams to Lose for Hughes.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited January 2019
    They made the lottery very difficult to predict/win.  

I think the 31st place team has the highest chance to pick 4th overall, >50%, greater than being in the top 3 combined so it sucks.  I get limiting "tanking", but most of the time, teams at the bottom generally need a franchise player.  

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

here, this got me through some tough years.  I would be miserable to be an Ottawa fan
    http://www.tankathon.com/nhl
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    pjhawks said:
    don't get why people think G is untouchable. because he gets a lot of assists?  good player, not great.   Haven't won a playoff series in what 7 years with him as Captain?  time to move on from the veterans on this team.  they just aren't good enough. Unfortunately the guy who is still in charge, Holmgren, gave G and Voracek deals that make it hard to trade them.

Best asset to trade is probably Couturier.  Young enough and cheap enough to get good value for him.

Untouchables for me Hart, Provy, and Konecny.  Sanheim would have to be blown away to trade him but wouldn't say totally untouchable.

Patrick is so disappointing. he seemed to get better in 2nd half of last year but has regressed again. as a 2nd pick in the draft he has to be better moving forward.
    Hextall signed both the Voracek and Giroux deals.
    Giroux is easily their best player and has carried this team on his back for years. Surrounded him with garbage goaltending. Playoff record isnt great but thats not all on him.
    When all is said and done Giroux will be one of the top Flyers ever. Right now he's #4 in total points for the franchise. He should have no problem breaking 1000 career points. He will prob end up #2 behind Bobby Clarke.
    He's a great player.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    pjhawks said:

Giroux is easily their best player and has carried this team on his back for years. Surrounded him with garbage goaltending. Playoff record isnt great but thats not all on him.
    When all is said and done Giroux will be one of the top Flyers ever. Right now he's #4 in total points for the franchise. He should have no problem breaking 1000 career points. He will prob end up #2 behind Bobby Clarke.
    He's a great player.
    Yes his stats will end up very high on the list but that is partially due to longevity and games played here.

today would he be 1st line for any of the top teams in the league?
    has any other supposed star for this franchise had to have his position change to make him more effective?  
    how about that for the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey he can't get on the ice for Team Canada?

In my opinion he is not one of the Top 10 Flyers of all-time.  he is in the next tier.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

He's a great player.
    Yes his stats will end up very high on the list but that is partially due to longevity and games played here.

has any other supposed star for this franchise had to have his position change to make him more effective?  
    how about that for the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey he can't get on the ice for Team Canada?

In my opinion he is not one of the Top 10 Flyers of all-time.  he is in the next tier.

depending on what you consider top teams I would say yes he could be a 1st liner.  I think Nashville is a top team and I would bet money that they would rather have G on their first line as a center as compared to Ryan Johansen.  it can reasonable said that G should have been nominated for MVP last season when you look at the season he has. 

as for position change, moving G to the wing actually helps the team as he is the most talented player on the team.  when you are the center you have more added responsibilities on defence.  I want G to have more freedom to be more creative and plus it made Coutuier the player he is today.

would you put at top 10 in Flyers history?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    MayDay10 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    I saw him play in the World JR Championships and was very impressive.
    fife said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

He's a great player.

depending on what you consider top teams I would say yes he could be a 1st liner.  I think Nashville is a top team and I would bet money that they would rather have G on their first line as a center as compared to Ryan Johansen.  it can reasonable said that G should have been nominated for MVP last season when you look at the season he has. 

as for position change, moving G to the wing actually helps the team as he is the most talented player on the team.  when you are the center you have more added responsibilities on defence.  I want G to have more freedom to be more creative and plus it made Coutuier the player he is today.

would you put at top 10 in Flyers history?
    in no particular order here are 12 I think have been better off the top of my head.  Maybe can argue against Lindbergh for not being around long enough but he did win a Vezina.  the rest I think are solid above G.

Lindros
    Clarke
    Barber
    Leach
    Parent
    Howe
    Kerr
    Desjardins
    LeClair
    MacLeish
    Hextall
    Lindbergh

I think Giroux is closer to these players and can make the argugment for or against these.  Propp, Recchi, Tocchet and Brind'Amour.  I would put Propp and Recchi ahead of G and Tocchet and Brind'Amour below G.
    This can't be right, we won four in a row?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Went to game tonight...first half of the game was dreadful.  Both teams sucked hog
    Second half was entertaining.  Hart played well and the Flyers got a big win.  
    Now they only need to go 23-10 the rest of the way to have a shot at the 8 seed

Oy.
    Momentum Cup 2019. But happy for Hart. Looks very promising.
    It is amazing how much better a team can look when you have faith in your goaltender.

Wow.  Stolarz looks like fucking Hasek tonight.
    Got the shutout. 5 in a row.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Haha
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    7 in a row. What is happening? Can they do it??
    The kids are leading them.
    If they had only not dropped 8 in a row before this streak.....
    Watched some of the game and they looked really strong.  
    Going to the Kings game next week.  Will be awesome to see the Kings again (saw them in LA in Nov) but weird to root against the Flyers as we have been having fun rooting for them all season with our ticket package.
    Carter Hart NHL rookie of the month for January
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    8 in a row! Hard to believe they are 5 points out of the wildcard race now

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I'm officially on board for a playoff run. Hart is playing like a seasoned All-Star goalie.

Flyers have now become the second-fastest team in @NHL history to reach 2,000 wins and the first expansion-era team to hit the milestone
    Hart is a stud.  I liked Hexy but he'd still have him in the AHL.  Wonder how Hexy feels these days about how well Hart is playing.
    I'm officially on board for a playoff run. Hart is playing like a seasoned All-Star goalie.

Flyers have now become the second-fastest team in @NHL history to reach 2,000 wins and the first expansion-era team to hit the milestone
    Who was the first?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

Who was the first?
    I believe the Montreal Canadiens.

Who was the first?
    I believe the Montreal Canadiens.
    ah, that's who i would have guessed.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Voracek!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    That was a wild game . My wife was talking shit on me as we started walking out and they rules Kempes shot a goal.
    Fun!
    Still got a point from the gayout.

Rooting for Stolarz to win the backup next year.
    Odd watching the goalie styles

Quick is fascinating to watch but Stolarz is a fucking gigantic goalie.