Jack White

cindy roberts

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he's playing SNL Oct 10. some country star violated covid protocols, so Jack stepped up. And expect him to play some White Stripes tunes, with their first greatest hits currently being heavily promoted on social media. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

The guy's amazing, and one of the best live performers I've ever seen.

he is hands down THE best show i've ever been to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

At his point I'll see him any chance I get.

• mvwmvw Posts: 1,642

At his point I'll see him any chance I get.

I heard he has a huge point!
  • The energy he created with just him and Meg was pretty amazing.  I have not seen a solo show or Raconteurs show but would like to.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    For a few years, I was really into Jack White and White Stripes.  Now I'm not and I don't fully know why.  That actually bothers me.  There is no good reason I can think of to have lost interest all of his music, yet I have.  I think maybe it was because of that damn Lazaretto album of his.  It's a pain in the ass to play and I tried playing the "playable" paper section and had to replace my stylus.  Yeah, dumb on me, but how many other people made the same stupid mistake?  Any why did he do that in the first place?  I guess the answer is, "Because he could,"  but still, that bugs me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:
    For a few years, I was really into Jack White and White Stripes.  Now I'm not and I don't fully know why.  That actually bothers me.  There is no good reason I can think of to have lost interest all of his music, yet I have.  I think maybe it was because of that damn Lazaretto album of his.  It's a pain in the ass to play and I tried playing the "playable" paper section and had to replace my stylus.  Yeah, dumb on me, but how many other people made the same stupid mistake?  Any why did he do that in the first place?  I guess the answer is, "Because he could,"  but still, that bugs me.
    He is the Willy Wonka of the music world. I can't wait to see him on SNL tonight!
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    edited October 2020
    intends on using a Eddie Van Halen model guitar on one of the songs he'll play tonight. posted on facebook that he isnt arrogant enough to play a VH song....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I was hoping White's SNL performance tonight might re-spark and old interest. Sadly, no such luck.  It wasn't bad, it just didn't work for me.  Interesting drum kit the dude of the left has.  I hope that's not just some gimmick, but it was interesting for about 60 seconds. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I only saw the Ball and Biscuit performance but I thought it was incredible. Especially the way he interloper the Jesus is coming soon lyrics.
    brianlux said:
    I was hoping White's SNL performance tonight might re-spark and old interest. Sadly, no such luck.  It wasn't bad, it just didn't work for me.  Interesting drum kit the dude of the left has.  I hope that's not just some gimmick, but it was interesting for about 60 seconds. 

same dude from lazaretto and boarding house reach recordings and tour.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited October 2020
    watching the second song lazarretto now. jack is using the van halen model guitar made for him with his mods. little fret board fingering tribute to eddie at the end.

the drummer has reconfigured his set up from the tours I saw. the angles are still the same but his floor tom moved from right of bass to left.  I assume the heads away from him allow him to keep his wrists straighter as he hits.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Holy shit. did JW3 kill it or what?

• I enjoyed the performances and liked how he switched up the lyrics for Ball and Biscuit for the pandemic.  He still rocks hard on the stage, and always enjoy his guitar playing. 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    That was friggin awesome!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Yeah both performances were pretty great 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    brianlux said:
    Have you listened to the Raconteurs album from last year? Solid listen, front to back. 
    brianlux said:
    Have you listened to the Raconteurs album from last year? Solid listen, front to back. 

I've heard it's good and will check it out, thanks!

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Where have you been??!! Get on that!!!
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

the drummer on the BHR tour had a female drummer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

the drummer on the BHR tour had a female drummer. 

you're right. I looked it up. now I remember all band members were wearing black suit coat and pants, white shirts and a black skinny tie...

his band last night was also kick ass. he always gets the best players. it's interesting how it seems it's just ingrained in him, from so many years of just being him and Meg, that he jams almost exclusively with the drummer. it was noticeable during one of the two songs that he made an obvious point to go over to the bassist during one of the instrumental interludes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Where have you been??!! Get on that!!!

I've been hiding under my rock.  :lol:
    Yes, I will check it out!

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    I've seen Jack a few times in concert, and the one (overwhelming) negative takeaway I have is that his performances are filled with feedback. This SNL performance was absent of it, and I REALLY enjoyed it.

Feedback might not be the proper word...static? Just that loud hum type noise...
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Gibson said:
    I've seen Jack a few times in concert, and the one (overwhelming) negative takeaway I have is that his performances are filled with feedback. This SNL performance was absent of it, and I REALLY enjoyed it.

Feedback might not be the proper word...static? Just that loud hum type noise...
    haha when i was watching it again on sunday on youtube my 11 year old daughter said "ow, i hate this sound". the screeching guitar sound he makes during his solos can be grating on the ears. i get it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Jack is my favorite artist the man is just pure talent! Lazareto is so damn good Madera & Yeso! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    aaaaand I turn around and order the Stripes greatest hits vault package. I cannot make up my mind with this man!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: