Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I don't understand the people saying they were bad....I think they did fine.  They are pretty impressive actually.
    It seems from your responses that you are a fan, but annoyed by those who aren't. You found their performance to be impressive. Fantastic. I found it to be less than wonderful, but kind of figure that not everyone can have a great performance every time.  I appreciate a difference of opinion, but am not certain that you are so cool with it.  I wish them well and hope that they find continued success, but personally feel that if they don't pull around their own sound with LZ influence and not the other way around, I believe that they will fade.  :peace:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't enjoy listening to this band, but I think the reason I have an actual dislike for them (almost against my will) is the comparisons to Led Zeppelin. As an LZ fan, I find that annoyingly insulting to Led Zeppelin.
    I don't deny that they have the LZ sound, and they are talented for sure.  But sounding like LZ isn't going to get you there
    They don't sound like Led Zeppelin though, that's my point. I mean, not in an actual MEANINGFUL way, which would be sounding awesome. They do not sound awesome at all. They sound fairly shitty IMO, with only a pathetically lame similarity to LZ because of the vocals, which pale in comparison in any case (and frankly, his voice reminds me more of Geddy Lee than Robert Plant). I find them basically unlistenable. So just to have a band that I feel is unlistenable compared CONSTANTLY to the greatest band that ever existed just rubs me the wrong way, in a big way. :lol: So yeah, as a massive LZ fan, I fucking hate GVF!!! =) If people didn't make this ridiculous, offensive comparison, I would feel completely indifferent towards them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    My favourite Greta Van Fleet song is Stairway to Heaven.
    What is yours?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    My favourite Greta Van Fleet song is Stairway to Heaven.
    What is yours?
    GRAAAAAA!!!!! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Image may contain 1 person standing and text
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited January 2019
    People, man. There are only three things wrong with them imo. A. a really cheesy song I can’t think of atm B. the price of their tickets. C. The incredibly short setlists. Yes they jam, but actual songs you mght get 10 on average? 

Besides that, I am a happy listener! 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Image may contain 1 person standing and text
     =) 
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    The two bands are clearly on the same...Page.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    (SNL performance) Why is he dressed like a hobbit that got kicked out of his home?
  • They sound like Led Zeppelin like Creed sounded like Pearl Jam. By that I mean, they don't sound at all like Led Zeppelin, despite the singer doing an impression of Robert Plant. But at least it's a good-enough impression. Scott Stapp sounded like Adam Sandler parodying Eddie Vedder. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    (SNL performance) Why is he dressed like a hobbit that got kicked out of his home?
    HAHA! Have you read the YouTube comments? Lots of people mentioning that it was good to see Frodo was in a band now.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    deadendp said:
    I don't understand the people saying they were bad....I think they did fine.  They are pretty impressive actually.
    It seems from your responses that you are a fan, but annoyed by those who aren't. You found their performance to be impressive. Fantastic. I found it to be less than wonderful, but kind of figure that not everyone can have a great performance every time.  I appreciate a difference of opinion, but am not certain that you are so cool with it.  I wish them well and hope that they find continued success, but personally feel that if they don't pull around their own sound with LZ influence and not the other way around, I believe that they will fade.  :peace:
    I'm not really a fan.  I just don't think it's fair to say they were "bad".   They clearly can play and he clearly can sing very well.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2019
    I think it would help if they dropped the 60's nostalgia look. that seems more forced than anything, and I've mostly enjoyed the music they have put out. 

My wife had never heard of them before. first word out of her mouth when they came on SNL was "posers".  IMO  If they toned down the 60's costumes and the singer didn't go quite so high on the singing I think they would be awesome.  I like what they're trying to do.
    deadendp said:
    I'm not really a fan.  I just don't think it's fair to say they were "bad".   They clearly can play and he clearly can sing very well.  
    I think he sounds bad and that their songs have no "soul", which kind of means they can't play well from my perspective. Obviously it's just a subjective thing, depending on the listener, just like with every other band in the world. I think it's totally fair to say they were bad, if the listener thought they sounded bad.
    The singer sounding bad shouldn't take away from the fact that the brothers are talented musicians.  They just are....fact.  As a guitar player I know when someone can play or is posing...they can play.

Except, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure there was another guitar player off stage during that first song.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    The singer sounding bad shouldn't take away from the fact that the brothers are talented musicians.  They just are....fact.  As a guitar player I know when someone can play or is posing...they can play.

Except, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure there was another guitar player off stage during that first song.
    That isn't a fact unless you think being talented musicians only involves playing the right notes properly on an instrument. I personally feel that real musical talent involves a whole lot more than being technically on point. And I think you probably would agree, yeah?
    No matter how you look at this kind of thing, it's is still just a matter of opinion.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited January 2019
    They already have 2.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify. In comparison PJ has close to 8m. Then further comparison another newish rock band that I personally thought was “saving rock music” was Highly Suspect... and they still have less than 1m (insert extremely sad face). Then for shits and giggles and because it’s fun to see these stats, Rival Sons has about the same as Highly Suspect at 950k.

...Led Zep has close to 12m. Spotify monthly listeners may mean nothing to you, but I find it interesting and slightly informing about where they stand currently. Obviously sales would be another good thing to insert about popularity, but someone else can research that. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I don't think the SNL performance was terrible, but it was quite forgettable.
    edited January 2019
    I don't think the SNL performance was terrible, but it was quite forgettable.
    agreed...but not "bad" for 19-22 year old kids

not as impressive as Silverchair back in their day

edited January 2019
    They already have 2.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify. In comparison PJ has close to 8m. Then further comparison another newish rock band that I personally thought was “saving rock music” was Highly Suspect... and they still have less than 1m (insert extremely sad face). Then for shits and giggles and because it’s fun to see these stats, Rival Sons has about the same as Highly Suspect at 950k.

...Led Zep has close to 12m. Spotify monthly listeners may mean nothing to you, but I find it interesting and slightly informing about where they stand currently. Obviously sales would be another good thing to insert about popularity, but someone else can research that. 
    I agree that monthly listener counts mean something.... and sometimes it is even an indication that the artist makes good music, lol. But that is certainly not an indicator of who makes great music vs who doesn't. I mean, Justin Bieber has 23 million monthly listeners, sooo..... And there a MANY artists who I think anyone here would easily admit are better than GVF with far fewer monthly listeners that they have. It's just the GVF are getting a ton of media attention because they're kinda weird, for all the reasons outlined in this thread. I bet a huge chuck of those monthly listens are from one timers.
    Anyway, I hate this band because of the LZ comparisons, but I don't wish the band members ill will.... What they badly need to do is find a decent fucking style consultant. Their wardrobe choices are idiotic, and are sending out the wrong message.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    They are popular with the younger generation.  My 18 year old bought me a GVF shirt for xmas....of course I told her I loved it but a 50 year old guy wearing a shirt with a bunch of 20 year olds on it just isn't my thing.

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    There are people who love Tom Waits. I heard this song the other day.  

Why do I bring this up?  Because it is okay not to like someone's music or, dare I say, state that they believe it is "bad."

Incidentally, this song is terrible. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

Why do I bring this up?  Because it is okay not to like someone's music or, dare I say, state that they believe it is "bad."

yeah he blows

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    The only time ive heard this band was watching the SNL clips just now.   Their second performance wasnt too bad audio-wise.  Sounds like a 70s radio background song.  The visual part ruined it for me tho.  Looked like an SNL skit.  

Some nostalgia things i like.  Like how a throwback sound or look feels new again sometimes.  I just didnt get it with this band.  They’re definitely not for me but im glad they’re not making songs with DJ Khalid or someone.  
    The only time ive heard this band was watching the SNL clips just now.   Their second performance wasnt too bad audio-wise.  Sounds like a 70s radio background song.  The visual part ruined it for me tho.  Looked like an SNL skit.  

Some nostalgia things i like.  Like how a throwback sound or look feels new again sometimes.  I just didnt get it with this band.  They’re definitely not for me but im glad they’re not making songs with DJ Khalid or someone.  
    probably will with their next album

LMAO!
    deadendp said:

yeah he blows
    Totally. I kind of want to like Tom Waits for some reason, but I just can't. He sounds awful to me.
    Greta Van Tribute