Options

***Official Led Zeppelin Thread***

1151617181921»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited June 2015
    Now that it's clear there is no intention of releasing any more live shows in the deluxe version like they did for Led Zeppelin I, I have totally lost interest in these reissues. I don't want a bunch of rough version of LZ songs on vinyl that bad. I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't keep doing that. I was so happy to have that first one with live show included and thought they'd keep doing it at least for some of them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    PJ_Soul said:

Now that it's clear there is no intention of releasing any more live shows in the deluxe version like they did for Led Zeppelin I, I have totally lost interest in these reissues. I don't want a bunch of rough version of LZ songs on vinyl that bad. I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't keep doing that. I was so happy to have that first one with live show included and thought they'd keep doing it at least for some of them.

Agreed.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,417
    JK_Livin said:

PJ_Soul said:

Agreed.
    AGREE-2.

I think they should've added a live show with each remaster like they did with LZ-1 too.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    These reissues sound fantastic. Great way for me to build up my Zep studio collection. Bought Physical Graffiti with the extra disc & love it! The old boxset from the 80s or was it early 90s sound awful compared to these.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited January 2019
    Your top 4 Led Zep albums?
    Mine:
    1. Physical Graffiti (only recently heard this one for the first time, instant favourite)
    2. Led Zeppelin III
    3. Led Zeppelin IV
    4. Houses of the Holy
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Houses of the Holy

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. II
    3. IV
    4. I
  • Options
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Houses of the Holy
    Is that an official thing? The V for Houses of the Holy? I have never heard or seen it called that before.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Houses of the Holy
    Is that an official thing? The V for Houses of the Holy? I have never heard or seen it called that before.
    Same.
    I assumed he meant Houses of the Holy but everything after IV was titled. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Houses of the Holy
    Yes....because the name doesn't appear on the album.  It was originally called "Five" or V (by my clan at least)
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    1. Physical Graffiti
    2. Presence
    3. IV
    4. V
    V?
    Houses of the Holy
    Yes....because the name doesn't appear on the album.  It was originally called "Five" or V (by my clan at least)
    "Houses of the Holy was the first album by the group to not have an eponymous title, but like the previous one, neither the band's name nor the album title was printed on the sleeve. However, manager Peter Grant did allow Atlantic Records to add a wrap-around paper title band to US copies of the sleeve that had to be broken or slid off to access the record.[11] The first CD release of the album in the 1980s had the title logos printed on the cover itself.[19]"

But also, even with the original UK pressing, the album title is on the actual label on the record. It just wasn't on the jacket.
  • Options
    Remember that In Through the Out Door came in a paper bag.....I still have all of that vinyl

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Remember that In Through the Out Door came in a paper bag.....I still have all of that vinyl
    Yes, and that paper bag had some kind of watercolour feature on it if memory serves, wherein if you painted it with water, it would turn into full colour. Is that right? Or was it the actual jacket that did that? One or the other... I think either way it was only a limited number that had the feature? But not totally sure. And I'm also not sure if any of the early reissues replicated it either. I have seen one of them in a record store, but someone had already "painted" it (which is essentially considered "ruined" from a collector's standpoint, lol).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, and that paper bag had some kind of watercolour feature on it if memory serves, wherein if you painted it with water, it would turn into full colour. Is that right? Or was it the actual jacket that did that? One or the other... I think either way it was only a limited number that had the feature? But not totally sure. And I'm also not sure if any of the early reissues replicated it either. I have seen one of them in a record store, but someone had already "painted" it (which is essentially considered "ruined" from a collector's standpoint, lol).
    I don't have this, Coda, or Presence on vinyl (need to fix that!)

From the Wiki entry on the album regarding the cover:

The original album featured an unusual gimmick: the album had an outer sleeve which was made to look like a plain brown paper bag (reminiscent of similarly packaged bootleg album sleeves with the title rubber-stamped on it), and the inner sleeve featured black and white line artwork which, if washed with water, would become permanently fully coloured. There were also six different sleeves featuring a different pair of photos (one on each side), and the external brown paper sleeve meant that it was impossible for record buyers to tell which sleeve they were getting.[9][a] The pictures all depicted the same scene in a bar (in which a man burns a Dear John letter), and each photo was taken from the separate point of view of someone who appeared in the other photos. The walls are covered with thousands of yellowed business cards and dollar bills.[citation needed] The photo session in a London studio was meant to look like a re-creation of the Old Absinthe House, in New OrleansLouisiana.[9]

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't have this, Coda, or Presence on vinyl (need to fix that!)

From the Wiki entry on the album regarding the cover:

The original album featured an unusual gimmick: the album had an outer sleeve which was made to look like a plain brown paper bag (reminiscent of similarly packaged bootleg album sleeves with the title rubber-stamped on it), and the inner sleeve featured black and white line artwork which, if washed with water, would become permanently fully coloured. There were also six different sleeves featuring a different pair of photos (one on each side), and the external brown paper sleeve meant that it was impossible for record buyers to tell which sleeve they were getting.[9][a] The pictures all depicted the same scene in a bar (in which a man burns a Dear John letter), and each photo was taken from the separate point of view of someone who appeared in the other photos. The walls are covered with thousands of yellowed business cards and dollar bills.[citation needed] The photo session in a London studio was meant to look like a re-creation of the Old Absinthe House, in New OrleansLouisiana.[9]

crazy....wasn't aware of that

LZ III had a real cool picture wheel in it :)

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Facebook banned the Houses of the Holy artwork. What crap.
    I only know because I posted the album a while back, and I recently got a message from Facebook that my image was graphic and had been banned.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,212
    eddiec said:
    I only know because I posted the album a while back, and I recently got a message from Facebook that my image was graphic and had been banned.
    Well, look at Facebook, acting like they have morals or something. Meanwhile, your data is being mined and sold to 3rd parties at an alarming rate and your privacy is being hacked. What a bunch of nitwits.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    tbergs said:
    eddiec said:
    Well, look at Facebook, acting like they have morals or something. Meanwhile, your data is being mined and sold to 3rd parties at an alarming rate and your privacy is being hacked. What a bunch of nitwits.
    Lol, those are the kind of morals that keep children from seeing the statue David.
    In this case it's even worse, because obviously they've decided that the Houses of the Holy cover have pedophelic images on it... it's kind of like those perverts who think a photo of a kid in a bathing suit at the beach is sexual.... Um, yeah, only if you're thinking about kids sexually, sicko.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on