2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    These lines really sum up what is going on in the pearl jam world:
    “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says.
    Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”
    "This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen. It just hasn’t happened for some reason.”
    The last quote at the bottom is very telling. 
    What’s Eddie up to these days. What’s the reason?
    i will probably get a lot of shit for what im about to say but i think Ed (and to an extend PJ because none of the rest of the band wants to "rock the boat" and take the control of the band from Ed) has become what they were fighting against being in the 90´s.

Im not talking anything from the lastest albums , hell i love Lightning Bolt but something radically changed in 2006/2007 within the band. From mini-tours (the 2009 european tour is the main proof ) to the huge increase in price tickets , lack of comunication with the fan club and lost of stuff members get (see x-mas single).

they just cant be bother with anything these days, they know FULL WELL at this point what´s going on with the merch prices and situation and what do they do ? absolutly NOTHING about it.

They are living out their lifes from past accolates at this point and especially Ed seems to fine with it. People like Jeff and Stone know , or seem to have some notion of what going on but choose not to do anything about it because i imagine all the money they get for just playing a few shows here and there and have side projects in which they can take their creative vision.

Yes they still mix the live setlists a bit but let´s be real and honest for a minute since 2014 the setlists have become very predictable , 2 or 3 slow songs opening the show , a few gems in the middle of the main set , 2 or 3 accustic songs in the first encore and end the show with alive / cover / Ledbetter or Indifference

I really wish to know what would be Eddie pre-2006 opinion on what PJ has become these days...

This is 50% of why I'm selling off my merch collection.  If they aren't into it than why would I be?
    At the end of the day, it is a business.  Simple as that.  Too many people involved, too many people that need to get paid.  They are older, have wives and kids and I am sure they want to spend as much time as they can with them.  I stayed at the same hotel as the band in Boston in September and ran into Stone a few times.  He was there with his daughter and they both just looked exhausted.  I know they get to travel in luxury and stay in the best hotels available these days, but it still takes a toll on you, especially after doing it for almost 30 years now.

From the business standpoint, they make $10+ million per weekend with these stadium shows.  That's impossible to turn down.  A couple of weekends a year and you make enough to do whatever you want the rest of the year.  I know many fans don't want to think of it in these terms, but that's just the reality of it.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    SS151546 said:
    just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says.
    Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”
    "This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen. It just hasn’t happened for some reason.”
    i will probably get a lot of shit for what im about to say but i think Ed (and to an extend PJ because none of the rest of the band wants to "rock the boat" and take the control of the band from Ed) has become what they were fighting against being in the 90´s.

Im not talking anything from the lastest albums , hell i love Lightning Bolt but something radically changed in 2006/2007 within the band. From mini-tours (the 2009 european tour is the main proof ) to the huge increase in price tickets , lack of comunication with the fan club and lost of stuff members get (see x-mas single).

they just cant be bother with anything these days, they know FULL WELL at this point what´s going on with the merch prices and situation and what do they do ? absolutly NOTHING about it.

They are living out their lifes from past accolates at this point and especially Ed seems to fine with it. People like Jeff and Stone know , or seem to have some notion of what going on but choose not to do anything about it because i imagine all the money they get for just playing a few shows here and there and have side projects in which they can take their creative vision.

Yes they still mix the live setlists a bit but let´s be real and honest for a minute since 2014 the setlists have become very predictable , 2 or 3 slow songs opening the show , a few gems in the middle of the main set , 2 or 3 accustic songs in the first encore and end the show with alive / cover / Ledbetter or Indifference

I really wish to know what would be Eddie pre-2006 opinion on what PJ has become these days...

This is 50% of why I'm selling off my merch collection.  If they aren't into it than why would I be?
    At the end of the day, it is a business.  Simple as that.  Too many people involved, too many people that need to get paid.  They are older, have wives and kids and I am sure they want to spend as much time as they can with them.  I stayed at the same hotel as the band in Boston in September and ran into Stone a few times.  He was there with his daughter and they both just looked exhausted.  I know they get to travel in luxury and stay in the best hotels available these days, but it still takes a toll on you, especially after doing it for almost 30 years now.

From the business standpoint, they make $10+ million per weekend with these stadium shows.  That's impossible to turn down.  A couple of weekends a year and you make enough to do whatever you want the rest of the year.  I know many fans don't want to think of it in these terms, but that's just the reality of it.  
    For sure.   Can’t argue with that.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    It's a business. It's always been a business. I don't spite them their success in that business. That doesn't mean, as a fan of the music, I can't want more.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Wake me up when they announce their 12 show tour lol
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    It’s January 22 but to read some people’s comments one gets the impression their year has already been less than stellar. On any given day the vast majority of us have any number of first world problems if at all. Just enjoy the ride because it could all be over tomorrow. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    100 Pacer said:
    It’s January 22 but to read some people’s comments one gets the impression their year has already been less than stellar. On any given day the vast majority of us have any number of first world problems if at all. Just enjoy the ride because it could all be over tomorrow. 
    What that  person.  Said is for real, stay chill ,it will work out and before we no it we will be at a PEARLJAM Show and hearing new music

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19

Why can't we speculate about Pearl Jam?  We are big fans of the band.  If we were all friends at the same school we would be having these same discussions during lunch and it wouldn't seem as strange or doomsday (just two fans talking).    If we couldn't speculate than what else is there to talk about?  Songs that have been around for 6 to 27 years?  No, we talk about the future and what we think is happening. 

Besides, when arguably the best singer/songwriter of his generation has zero new output in 5 years (whether music, art or whatever),  it shouldn't be some sort of secret there are other priorities for him.  It isn't a knock on him but just an observation that would be difficult to argue against, and a discussion of what Pearl Jam is today.  

I personally believe EV is working on/finishing a solo album before a PJ album comes out... with both coming this year possibly... already has a festival lined up in early march... I could see some spring/summer EV dates followed by PJ late summer/fall dates
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You forgot Even Flow in the 8-12 spot. They also always do RVM and Porch in the same spots and start the first encore out with some slow stuff.

Heck, there were a couple nights during the European leg of the 2000 tour when Alive was near the start of the show...but yeah, after Roskilde, that song just seems best at the end.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    my2hands said:
    I personally believe EV is working on/finishing a solo album before a PJ album comes out... with both coming this year possibly... already has a festival lined up in early march... I could see some spring/summer EV dates followed by PJ late summer/fall dates
    and don't forget EV at Ohana in late September
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited January 2019
    EV in Europe. Great it is 2017 all over again. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    EV in Europe. Great it is 2017 all over again. 
    Ugh
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    If true, what about some US shows? Europe getting a lot of Ed/PJ love the past 3 years. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Ed's solo show was a top-5 concert experience when I first saw it in 2008. It was good in 2011. It was great again in 2012. But now it is 2019 and the setlists haven't much at all.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    :|   
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Wasn’t this the expectation for the last month or so?  EV solo tour in summer and then typical PJ fall tour?  
    Wasn’t this the expectation for the last month or so?  EV solo tour in summer and then typical PJ fall tour?  
    Everything hinges on the album and that is looking further behind then expected. Also what is a typical fall tour? If anything fall tours are done since the last one was almost 5 years ago and was said to be the last.  I am really hoping for a miracle and an album released this summer with a late summer tour and another leg with a late fall tour. 
    edited January 2019
    PJNB said:
    Everything hinges on the album and that is looking further behind then expected. Also what is a typical fall tour? If anything fall tours are done since the last one was almost 5 years ago and was said to be the last.  I am really hoping for a miracle and an album released this summer with a late summer tour and another leg with a late fall tour. 
    Based on Dimitri's post implying nothing before June and no Europe this summer for PJ, I guess I'm expecting a Pearl Jam tour in the US sometime August - October.  If they do an album I'm thinking it could be bigger.  If they can't finish the album than it might similar to 2008/2010/2014 US tour length.  I would be surprised if they don't tour in 2019, and the album will decide what size the tour is. 
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Dimi said “not in June” for a Pj tour, possibly implying an EV solo tour in Europe. Mad Cool would be July 10 if they add an extra day per that website. So possibly looking like EV tour could run from mid-June to mid-July? EV’s 2017 tour wasn’t announced til March. 
    PJNB said:
    Based on Dimitri's post implying nothing before June and no Europe this summer for PJ, I guess I'm expecting a Pearl Jam tour in the US sometime August - October.  If they do an album I'm thinking it could be bigger.  If they can't finish the album than it might similar to 2008/2010/2014 US tour length.  I would be surprised if they don't tour in 2019, and the album will decide what size the tour is. 
    I hope you are right. I just hate how there are no whispers of anything just like 2017 was besides what Leaf said which is dependant on the new album. Also if there is another EV tour in Europe and nothing with Pearl Jam again this year then there is a good chance that in the last 3 years we will have more EV shows than Pearl Jam shows which is pretty shocking especially since he has almost zero new music.

Also if there is an EV tour in Europe I hope they communicate that is all for the year or there is more to come. I know they will not but it would make a lot of peoples lives a lot easier planning wise if they at least gave us a wink. 
    If we don't see PJ tour in 2019 than they really have hit semi-retirement.  I always assumed rather than doing huge 80 date world tours every three years and then taking two year breaks that they would just tour 20 dates a year.  But if they take 2017 off and 2019 off, then they really can't really have any less activity. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    An EV tour doesn’t bode well for finishing the album anytime soon, assuming it’s not done already.  If they’re having troubles getting in the same room now, a solo tour in Europe won’t help. 
  • retro said:

retro said:
    You made it sound like it was an Eddie Vedder interview. Does anyone other than the same five or six people posting have any info? We fill stadiums for this band and f5 (lol) all day to get tickets yet only the same people are posting and a few posting negative. anyone else able to post? Seems like a glitch in the system. Why was there a link to retro and now no longer a link? Anyone have any valid info?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    If they did, it would already be posted.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    If we don't see PJ tour in 2019 than they really have hit semi-retirement.  I always assumed rather than doing huge 80 date world tours every three years and then taking two year breaks that they would just tour 20 dates a year.  But if they take 2017 off and 2019 off, then they really can't really have any less activity. 
    Might as well count 2015 as well minus the small SA tour. 
    My guess is Lollapalooza first weekend in August with Woodstock two weeks later and dates in between/surrounding 

• ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm half hoping theres no tour this year. The funds aren't there, and if they don't want to play or be in the same room together, I'd rather wait till they have something new and are excited about it, however if they do Woodstock, Canada or NOLA I will be there, as I have family wanting to do those. From what we've seen my bet is probably EV tour in June/July Pearl Jam in August and maybe sept with only festival appearances this year, only time will tell however.
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • dadesdades Posts: 321
    If it’s either an EV tour or PJ tour, they both need new music to do it. They can’t keep on doing the same shows all the time. Both need new material.
    Saying that, PJ can bring in a lot of songs that get ignored and it would feel like a whole new experience. Same can be said for EV, he can cover any song out there in his solo tour.
    So basically who knows what will happen........definitely not me 🤔
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I’ll be okay with zero EV or PJ shows until new music is released by one or both. I love the shows and the live experience is second to none, but with no new music it does feel like full blown legacy act territory. Not trying to be negative. Just the reality.