Greta Van Fleet

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    The LP grew on me, but I agree.  The EP was better.   I also think the wrote alot of the songs on the LP years ago.   It's partially a collection of stuff they hadn't recorded yet.  
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited January 2019
    on SNL last night, thoughts?

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited January 2019
    My first time ever hearing/seeing them. Pretty generic rock IMO.

I get the impression that they play classic sounding rock so that people who are older and enjoy only classic sounding rock have a new/young band to listen to so they can say "see, I still like new music".

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

I get the impression that they play classic sounding rock so that people who are older and enjoy only classic sounding rock have a new/young band to listen to so they can say "see, I still like new music".

I could see that - I like them enough - I'd show up if they were opening up for PJ 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    on SNL last night, thoughts?

Not so great.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    The singers stage presence is non existent and it sticks out with the guitar player aping Jimmy Psge every step of the way and the bass player doing some mix of Page and Robert Deleo. What happened to the guy from the Safari Song video? 

Who is dressing these clowns? Who’s feeding them between song banter? Who is writing their songs? Just the whole thing seems like it was put together by a computer algorithm.
  • DewieCox said:
    The singers stage presence is non existent and it sticks out with the guitar player aping Jimmy Psge every step of the way and the bass player doing some mix of Page and Robert Deleo. What happened to the guy from the Safari Song video? 

Who is dressing these clowns? Who’s feeding them between song banter? Who is writing their songs? Just the whole thing seems like it was put together by a computer algorithm.

I tend to agree with you a bit; however, I remember the 'older' generation knocking grunge bands back in the day. I remember grunge bands knocking other grunge bands back in the day.

Among many, trying too hard to pretend they don't care was a common critique of many bands including PJ and Nirvana.

I try to keep that in mind when I find myself being overly judgemental (which has become more commonplace as I grow older lol).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I really liked these guys at first, but it’s waning. I just tried watching the SNL performance and had to turn it off because I felt embarrassed for them.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Yeah.  First time hearing them and it seemed rather amateurish.  Talented I am sure but just thought the song was blah.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I gave their current record a play today, There isn't a more  'music for older white dudes in 2019' sounding band than these guys. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I gave their current record a play today, There isn't a more  'music for older white dudes in 2019' sounding band than these guys. 
    Pearl Jam?
    “We take the music that was made before and make it again ” - GVF
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    DewieCox said:

Except its 3 brothers and one of their best friends, and they've been playing together for years.

It's crazy how much resentment there is to a bunch of kids trying to play rock n' roll.

I've been enjoying their music.  If people are going to shit on a band for playing music that's too classic rock, I'll take it over modern rock any day.   At least the dude's got pipes (Even if his voice makes him sound like Robert Plant).  Most new rock singers don't stand out like that.  They get muted in the mix and covered up by protools.

Given that were on a PJ board.  Look how many albums they had before they started to figure things out.  Stone/Jeff had 3 green river albums, a mother love bone record, and temple of the dog.  Ten was their 6th studio album?   Mike had Shadow and ToTD.  Eddie was a bit more green.  Their wardrobes in their early 20's weren't great either.

Why all the hate for some kids trying to make rock music in a world where there's almost no good rock music anymore?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The singer looks like the lovechild of Zack de la Rocha and Bob Dylan
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    The singer looks like the lovechild of Zack de la Rocha and Bob Dylan
    Hahahahahaha! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I thought they did ok on SNL....it does seem odd that the singer doesn't have better stage presence and he dresses like Rhea Perlman.

I saw them at the Louder than Life festival in Louisville a few years ago.  Not much has changed to be honest.  I was impressed with their performance but I can't really get into the music.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I thought they did ok on SNL....it does seem odd that the singer doesn't have better stage presence and he dresses like Rhea Perlman.

I saw them at the Louder than Life festival in Louisville a few years ago.  Not much has changed to be honest.  I was impressed with their performance but I can't really get into the music.  
    Rhea Perlman lol
    He does wear some wacky stuff. 
    His hair and outfit in the (very Zeppelin-ish) video for When the Curtain Falls...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    I cringed throughout 

the singer needs to come out and say he dropped acid that night 

wtf man
  • I’ll give any new music, especially rock, a chance. And that SNL performance was cringe worthy and embarrassing. Maybe they’re good but they weren’t the other night. 
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I think it would help if they dropped the 60's nostalgia look. that seems more forced than anything, and I've mostly enjoyed the music they have put out. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    And I thought that the kids with the guitar and bass were going to run into each other.  Not everyone has a great performance and perhaps it was an off night.  And who dressed that lead singer that night?  WTH was up with that shirt? :fearful:

Sorry, but if they don't want to be compared to LZ, perhaps their sounds needs to evolve a bit.  I don't think that they are bad.  In fact, I wanted to go see them but was completely unwilling to pay the same to see them (a relatively new band) as I did to see The National in Detroit.  But, that's just a personal choice.  

I think that if their sound doesn't shift a bit to something of their own, they will quickly fade into the background.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:
    And I thought that the kids with the guitar and bass were going to run into each other.  Not everyone has a great performance and perhaps it was an off night.  And who dressed that lead singer that night?  WTH was up with that shirt? :fearful:

Sorry, but if they don't want to be compared to LZ, perhaps their sounds needs to evolve a bit.  I don't think that they are bad.  In fact, I wanted to go see them but was completely unwilling to pay the same to see them (a relatively new band) as I did to see The National in Detroit.  But, that's just a personal choice.  

I think that if their sound doesn't shift a bit to something of their own, they will quickly fade into the background.  
    yeah they won't be around long if they don't write something unique

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I am not surprised they are brothers.  They sound to me like what a junior high band whose parents only had Led Zeppelin albums would sound like.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    They will be around for a while. The get off my lawn attitudes are rampant...
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I'm pretty sure there was another guitar being played on the Black Smoke song they played on SNL.  If you watch the guitar player for the first 30 seconds or so you can clearly hear parts being played that he isn't strumming.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Wow, that was bad. That's unfortunate that was their first big national exposure moment because they were not ready. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I don't understand the people saying they were bad....I think they did fine.  They are pretty impressive actually.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I don't enjoy listening to this band, but I think the reason I have an actual dislike for them (almost against my will) is the comparisons to Led Zeppelin. As an LZ fan, I find that annoyingly insulting to Led Zeppelin.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't enjoy listening to this band, but I think the reason I have an actual dislike for them (almost against my will) is the comparisons to Led Zeppelin. As an LZ fan, I find that annoyingly insulting to Led Zeppelin.
    I don't deny that they have the LZ sound, and they are talented for sure.  But sounding like LZ isn't going to get you there