1/7/2019 Vault 8 shipping update

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    iO letsgo said:
    does the vault vinyl purchase include a digital download?  
    No. And it hasn't in a few years.

I never understood why all vinyl does not come with a digital download.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    LukinFan said:
    iO letsgo said:

Me either.
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    LukinFan said:
    iO letsgo said:

For a start, $, but also, why should it? 
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    LukinFan said:
    iO letsgo said:

Exactly. Similarly, why do shoes come without socks?  
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    I never understood why vinyl people want lossy mp3s. But I've said this every time a vault comes out. Just like someone complains there's no digital download with the vault every time a vault comes out.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    I never understood why vinyl people want lossy mp3s. But I've said this every time a vault comes out. Just like someone complains there's no digital download with the vault every time a vault comes out.
    This is hard to understand? It's nice to have mobile version of an album that when we are home we listen to on vinyl. Pretty common. So common that pearl jam used to do it with vaults!
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    Many albums I order on vinyl (especially pre-orders) come with some form of digital download. Most of us want them to play in our cars, iPods in the gym, etc. Sound quality isn’t exactly paramount in those situations so who really cares if it’s lossy? If you’re paying $67 for a vinyl record, you shouldn’t have to fork over another $10-15 to get the same album in a digital format.
    edited January 2019
    bazzer said:
    LukinFan said:
    iO letsgo said:

$ for what? A little bit of bandwidth? A digital file shouldn’t cost extra when you’re already forking over $67 for a vinyl record.
  • bigjilmbigjilm Sea Posts: 182
    Just curious, should a digital version of a book come with a hardback?  Maybe some do, but most I'd think do not.  Why should vinyl come with a download?  CDs don't come with them either.
    edited January 2019
    bigjilm said:
    Just curious, should a digital version of a book come with a hardback?  Maybe some do, but most I'd think do not.  Why should vinyl come with a download?  CDs don't come with them either.
    You can both transport and read a physical book and a digital one the same. Both have the same function and similar form.  You can’t take vinyl records with you on the go. A CD doesn’t need to because you can just rip it onto your computer and make your own digital files.
    bigjilm said:
    You can both transport and read a physical book and a digital one the same. Both have the same function and similar form.  You can’t take vinyl records with you on the go. A CD doesn’t need to because you can just rip it onto your computer and make your own digital files.
    You can also digitize your vinyl.  I do.  If they come with downloads I look at it as a bonus.  I buy the vinyl for the vinyl, not a download.  Just me.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    You can also digitize your vinyl.  I do.  If they come with downloads I look at it as a bonus.  I buy the vinyl for the vinyl, not a download.  Just me.
    I have to agree with the other posters.  Many artists/labels include download codes with the vinyl.  Vinyl's great but it's not portable.   I like to have vinyl to play at home, but use digital for travelling (transit to work or driving around in my truck).  To be honest most of the time it's mp3 and I prefer flac, so there's that whole grey area of seeking out a digital copy from nefarious sources for something you did pay for.
    bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    Not everyone has a setup to digitize vinyl. You can  just pop a CD in your computer. And yes we all buy vinyl for vinyl. If we *only* wanted a download, we’d only buy a download. It’s really not a hard concept to include something that practically costs nothing when you’re already paying a premium for the physical product. Look at a band like Nine Inch Nails who lets you download in whatever format you like, lossless included.  Almost anything you buy from Amazon comes with Autorip. It is common practice with pretty much everyone in the industry except of course Ten Club & Pearl Jam.
    edited January 2019
    Zod said:
    bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    I have to agree with the other posters.  Many artists/labels include download codes with the vinyl.  Vinyl's great but it's not portable.   I like to have vinyl to play at home, but use digital for travelling (transit to work or driving around in my truck).  To be honest most of the time it's mp3 and I prefer flac, so there's that whole grey area of seeking out a digital copy from nefarious sources for something you did pay for.
    So, if someone likes vinyl at home but only has a cassette player in the car, should they get a cassette with a vinyl purchase? The point I'm trying to make is that they charge for downloads. Why give away something for free that you already charge for?

bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    Not everyone has a setup to digitize vinyl. You can  just pop a CD in your computer. And yes we all buy vinyl for vinyl. If we *only* wanted a download, we’d only buy a download. It’s really not a hard concept to include something that practically costs nothing when you’re already paying a premium for the physical product. Look at a band like Nine Inch Nails who lets you download in whatever format you like, lossless included.  Almost anything you buy from Amazon comes with Autorip. It is common practice with pretty much everyone in the industry except of course Ten Club & Pearl Jam.
    Whether it is common practice or not, you're asking for something they charge for for free.  I'm definitely not trying to argue, only pointing out that they charge for digital files and many want them for free with the vinyl purchase.  Yes, most artists/labels include them.  But just because most do doesn't mean all HAVE to. 

I do love the fact that NIN offers you whichever format you choose.  That is awesome.  But they don't have to.  Third Man Records doesn't do it for all of them, especially not the Vault series.

Again, I like the convenience of downloads.  I just try not to expect them
  • biosfearbiosfear Melbourne, Australia Posts: 19
    Has anyone received the vinyl in Australia yet?
    I've got no movement on mine, but as others have said, the shipping updates don't seem to mean much.
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    bazzer said:
    LukinFan said:
    iO letsgo said:

$ for what? A little bit of bandwidth? A digital file shouldn’t cost extra when you’re already forking over $67 for a vinyl record.
    I mean the dollars they can squeeze out of you by getting you to buy the download too. I would never bother paying for mp3s. It would be awesome if they let you download high res or at least losslesslbut almost no one does so it's useless to me. I'll just buy the CD. 😪
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Anyone in Canada receive their Vault vinyl yet?
    bigjilm said:
    Zod said:
    bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    So, if someone likes vinyl at home but only has a cassette player in the car, should they get a cassette with a vinyl purchase? The point I'm trying to make is that they charge for downloads. Why give away something for free that you already charge for?

bigjilm said:
    bigjilm said:
    Whether it is common practice or not, you're asking for something they charge for for free.  I'm definitely not trying to argue, only pointing out that they charge for digital files and many want them for free with the vinyl purchase.  Yes, most artists/labels include them.  But just because most do doesn't mean all HAVE to. 

I do love the fact that NIN offers you whichever format you choose.  That is awesome.  But they don't have to.  Third Man Records doesn't do it for all of them, especially not the Vault series.

Again, I like the convenience of downloads.  I just try not to expect them
    To the first point regarding cassettes, in the 1980's when many vehicles were equipped with cassette players and most people had hifi stereo systems at home it was easy to buy blank cassettes and record it on your own for mobility in the vehicle, Walkman, etc.  But cassettes (aside from the hipster surge) are a thing of the past.  Walkman players aren't a thing and vehicles aren't equipped.  In this day & age, the equivalent is an iPod, phone, or some sort of compact digital device. Sure, you had to buy the blank cassettes, but you also have to buy the iPod or phone, at a much higher premium than blank tapes.  In the same sense, people who only wanted tapes, bought tapes.  People who wanted vinyl bought vinyl and transferred it because the means to do so were commonplace.
    And while I understand they charge for digital files on their own, they are not losing any money buy offering them to someone who already paid a premium for the vinyl format.  (Let's face it, vinyl is expensive as hell, unlike in the 80's.)  I know they don't have to offer them and I appreciate the artists, labels, & services like Amazon AutoRip that do.  But there really is no reason not to offer them when you're making me pay $30-40 (or in the case of PJ Vaults, $60+) for a record then expecting me to fork over another $10-15 for the same album in a format that does not require a physical medium, and only a fraction of a cent of bandwidth to download.  I understand why they do it, to milk as much out of the consumer as possible, I just think they could throw us a bone when we already forked over an extreme markup to begin with.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 830
    demetrios said:
    Anyone in Canada receive their Vault vinyl yet?
    im still waiting patiently
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    mine was supposed to be yesterday but now says friday.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    ComeToTX said:
    mine was supposed to be yesterday but now says friday.
    Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday as well, updated last that it was in Springfield on Saturday, then yesterday nothing, then updated again this morning that was Springfield and still scheduled to arrive last night.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

To the first point regarding cassettes, in the 1980's when many vehicles were equipped with cassette players and most people had hifi stereo systems at home it was easy to buy blank cassettes and record it on your own for mobility in the vehicle, Walkman, etc.  But cassettes (aside from the hipster surge) are a thing of the past.  Walkman players aren't a thing and vehicles aren't equipped.  In this day & age, the equivalent is an iPod, phone, or some sort of compact digital device. Sure, you had to buy the blank cassettes, but you also have to buy the iPod or phone, at a much higher premium than blank tapes.  In the same sense, people who only wanted tapes, bought tapes.  People who wanted vinyl bought vinyl and transferred it because the means to do so were commonplace.
    And while I understand they charge for digital files on their own, they are not losing any money buy offering them to someone who already paid a premium for the vinyl format.  (Let's face it, vinyl is expensive as hell, unlike in the 80's.)  I know they don't have to offer them and I appreciate the artists, labels, & services like Amazon AutoRip that do.  But there really is no reason not to offer them when you're making me pay $30-40 (or in the case of PJ Vaults, $60+) for a record then expecting me to fork over another $10-15 for the same album in a format that does not require a physical medium, and only a fraction of a cent of bandwidth to download.  I understand why they do it, to milk as much out of the consumer as possible, I just think they could throw us a bone when we already forked over an extreme markup to begin with.
    I'm familiar with cassettes and recording vinyl/radio to cassettes. I did it all the time (radio mostly) in the 80's.  And I don't see any difference between digitizing my vinyl today and recording it to tape back then.  You still need the equipment and it still takes time, but you didn't get the tape for free with purchase.  If you already have a turntable and a computer then you're only missing the connection between the 2 to make a digital file.  I use a Tascam Portable Audio Recorder I bought on Amazon for maybe $150.  There are others that cost less, and if you can afford a $60+ vinyl record then you can afford to purchase the gear you need to take that music on the go.

And regardless if they're not losing money on the digital files, they are not making any money off them either if they just give them away for free.  PJ is a business and this is the way the choose to do it. 

And how are we forking over an extreme markup if these things usually sell out?  (Usually) a 3 record set with cool packaging for $50 isn't a bad deal in my book.  And living in Washington state I end up having to pay 10%+ in taxes on top of the shipping which puts it over $70.  That's roughly $23 a record.  Not uncommon nor extreme these days.  Would I like to pay less?  Sure.  But I'll also pay the $50-$70 upfront so I don't pay $100+ later.
    edited January 2019
    bigjilm said:
    I'm familiar with cassettes and recording vinyl/radio to cassettes. I did it all the time (radio mostly) in the 80's.  And I don't see any difference between digitizing my vinyl today and recording it to tape back then.  You still need the equipment and it still takes time, but you didn't get the tape for free with purchase.  If you already have a turntable and a computer then you're only missing the connection between the 2 to make a digital file.  I use a Tascam Portable Audio Recorder I bought on Amazon for maybe $150.  There are others that cost less, and if you can afford a $60+ vinyl record then you can afford to purchase the gear you need to take that music on the go.

And regardless if they're not losing money on the digital files, they are not making any money off them either if they just give them away for free.  PJ is a business and this is the way the choose to do it. 

And how are we forking over an extreme markup if these things usually sell out?  (Usually) a 3 record set with cool packaging for $50 isn't a bad deal in my book.  And living in Washington state I end up having to pay 10%+ in taxes on top of the shipping which puts it over $70.  That's roughly $23 a record.  Not uncommon nor extreme these days.  Would I like to pay less?  Sure.  But I'll also pay the $50-$70 upfront so I don't pay $100+ later.
    Sure, you didn't get the blank tapes for free.  You don't get the iPod, computer, USB stick, etc for free with purchase either.  And you're not giving the files away for free.  You're paying for a product (an expensive vinyl record), they are making money. A digital file costs virtually nothing.
    A product selling out does not negate the fact that the price is marked up at a premium.  AP posters are a prime example of this.
    We can agree to disagree on this.  I will always be of the opinion that vinyl records should come with a digital download. No one is gonna go bankrupt if they do.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    I can't believe people are actually arguing saying that vinyl should not come with a digital file. Really? 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    Whether it costs nothing and they won't go bankrupt or not has no bearing. You are asking for something for free that they charge for. Plain and simple. The fact that others do it also has no bearing. 

Is $23 a premium for 1 brand new vinyl record these days?  Not to me.  So I still don't follow your logic of how these records are so marked up. If they're too expensive then don't buy them.

Agree to disagree. 

LukinFan said:
    I can't believe people are actually arguing saying that vinyl should not come with a digital file. Really? 
    And I can't believe that people feel entitled to get something for free just because they paid for something else. 

I'm not arguing the fact that vinyl should or should not come with a download code. Like I said before, I like the convenience.  I'm only stating the fact that people shouldn't expect them. Otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed and inclined to argue on a message board about why you can't listen to your vinyl on the go. 
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Vault arrived outside Philly today. Packaged safely and looks in great condition. 

Listened to the first record tonight and am very happy with the sound. Seemed to get a tad but of dostortion on the inner grooves, but will have to listen again. Overall, sound is very good to my ears. 

And to chime in, I’m always disappointed with the lack of digital download with a vinyl. If you buy a digital download, you can take it anywhere and you can easily burn a CD. If you buy a CD, you can rip to digital and the ease of transport is there again. When you buy a vinyl, with a much higher price tag than a download or CD, it should come with a download, IMO. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Nothing In Denmark.......

Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
    I am not a logistics expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...
    This is still waiting to arrive in Albany New York

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2019
    Mine went from a town 15 minutes away from my house 2 days ago.... to a town 3 hours from house today.....

its comical... but I expect no less.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    Mine went from a town 15 minutes away from my house 2 days ago.... to a town 3 hours from house today.....

its comical... but I expect no less.
    that is anti-logistics