Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think he should absolutely be fired because he displayed poor decision-making, laziness, a profound lack of empathy, and a capacity for cruelty. Definitely not qualities you want in any police officer, obviously. If he can do this to a fawn, then he's for sure not going to treat human beings the way police officers are expected to in a civilized society.
    1st: I appreciate due process. is it highly likely he acted the way it's been reported? yes. 100%? no. still on active duty? no, he should be suspended or put on desk duty during investigation. 

2nd: the way people treat animals is not 100% the way they treat humans. and I say this as a person who tears up watching The Dodo animal videos on twitter. might be prudent to look at his overall record with humans, if they've received any complaints or red flag comments, etc, before jumping the gun.  
    Oh, of course, I meant fired if it happened the way Meltdown said it happened.
    But I do not trust people who mistreat animals to make the right decisions with humans. I've definitely got a zero tolerance policy when it comes to that, lol. But my first and main point was that his decision making skills are seriously lacking, and THAT makes me not trust him with humans more than anything else.
    I just mean that a lot of people, even people I know who are good people, and aren't serial killers, don't have the same attitudes towards animals that you and I do. Mainly: hunters. I don't know many, but the ones I do know, they are good humans to other humans, but don't have that same standard when it comes to animals. 
    Yeah, but do you know any hunters that would, say, slowly stab an animal to death rather than efficiently shoot them to keep the suffering to a minimum??
    I think it was a dumb decision. But in all reality, it may have really been the most humane for the animal. Police can't just fire their weapons like that. There is going to be a lot of paperwork every time they discharge their weapon, and killing an injured deer within city limits may not be approved. I don't know the laws up there, but I know many police would face discipline actions for shooting an injured deer and calling animal control could take who knows how long.
    Like I said, I don't think what he did was right. And I don't know the guy he could be a total a-hole, I'm just responding to your comment of just shooting it to put it out and why that may not have been an option.
    Police can fire their weapons to put the injured animal down.   Its fuckin Alberta, you mean this dick head didn't know at least 1 hunter who would put down this animal humanely.   I worked with a fellow who often put injured deer down for a cop friend who just couldn't shoot an animal.
    Yeah, I'm under the impression that cops can do that too. Hell, they're allowed to shoot dogs who are barking at them in people's yards apparently, so they can certainly shoot a deer or bear that's been run over.
     I don't know how it works up there. But down here I can't see a cop shooting an injured animal off the side of the road as an option. He'd call animal control and probably wait an hour for him to arrive.
    It works the same way here.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    dignin said:
    I watched the video, this sick fucker was enjoying running over the deer.  He should be fired immediately.  The chief of that police department should be fired as well for not immediately firing that son of a bitch.  The video says it all.  That fucking cops name should be released to the press.
    How the hell would you know he was enjoying it?
    Because of common sense.  If your goal is to put down an injured animal, and your first attempt causes the animal to cry this should be the dumb ass's first clue that running the fawn over was a bad an idea and maybe I should consult with animal control or a vet to make sure the animal couldn't be saved, and only a person who enjoys harming animals would continue doing what he did. As for you, you seemed to get riled up when Canadians criticize anything, Alberta.  Let's lay that fucker on the highway and run him over a few times.  I'd volunteer to drive the car, no problem.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Video of police driving over 'shrieking' deer triggers calls for criminal charges, death threats

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-deer-video-1.4972346?fbclid=IwAR2odq7BzFHyWJtQYaGZvh0ugeDrI5j-M9ph64lGOUBD_BtOD5jyejj907I

Good.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Video of police driving over 'shrieking' deer triggers calls for criminal charges, death threats

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-deer-video-1.4972346?fbclid=IwAR2odq7BzFHyWJtQYaGZvh0ugeDrI5j-M9ph64lGOUBD_BtOD5jyejj907I

Good.

"If you see injured animal, call authorities"

Yeah they seem to know what to do.  :(

Smellyman said:

Good.

"If you see injured animal, call authorities"

Yeah they seem to know what to do.  :(

Agreed.  He should have had no problem finding someone to put down the fawn humanely.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    My take-away:  how can a four-letter abbreviation for Alberta not include a “B?”  Alta?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    dignin said:
    I watched the video, this sick fucker was enjoying running over the deer.  He should be fired immediately.  The chief of that police department should be fired as well for not immediately firing that son of a bitch.  The video says it all.  That fucking cops name should be released to the press.
    How the hell would you know he was enjoying it?
    Because of common sense.  If your goal is to put down an injured animal, and your first attempt causes the animal to cry this should be the dumb ass's first clue that running the fawn over was a bad an idea and maybe I should consult with animal control or a vet to make sure the animal couldn't be saved, and only a person who enjoys harming animals would continue doing what he did. As for you, you seemed to get riled up when Canadians criticize anything, Alberta.  Let's lay that fucker on the highway and run him over a few times.  I'd volunteer to drive the car, no problem.
    Common sense tells me that people who want to murder someone are unwell, and should seek help.

Lethbridge police officer facing death threats after running over injured deer

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/lethbridge-police-officer-facing-death-threats-asirt-says
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    OnWis97 said:
    My take-away:  how can a four-letter abbreviation for Alberta not include a “B?”  Alta?
    That isn't the correct abbreviation for Alberta. It is actually AB. I have never in my life seen someone use "Alta". I think the person who wrote that was either stupid or lazy or had a brain fart, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    That isn't the correct abbreviation for Alberta. It is actually AB. I have never in my life seen someone use "Alta". I think the person who wrote that was either stupid or lazy or had a brain fart, lol.
    Alta is a common abbreviation used here in AB.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Is it? Oh. I've never seen it in BC. OnWis97 is right - it's a bad abbreviation, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Is it? Oh. I've never seen it in BC. OnWis97 is right - it's a bad abbreviation, lol.
    Yeah, I've never really thought about it. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I’ve seen it a lot. It is kind of weird, though; not even that much shorter than the original, which is a negative for an abbreviation. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf