New music this week? 01-07-2019

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    1991-1999: Five Studio Albums. Plus Merkinball 2 song album.
    2000-2009: Four Studio Albums. Plus Lost Dogs 2 disc B-side album.
    2010-2019: One Studio Album.

It's time for some new music. We need it.
    I think that’s embarrassing honestly. I know a bands output generally slows down as they age but that’s insane. I mean there are 5 songwriters in this band. Unlike a band like u2 where only half the band write. 
    U2 also do nothing musically outside of the band.

Jeff: RNDM - two albums
    Tres Mts: one album
    three solo albums
    Three Fish: 2 albums

Matt: one solo album plus SG

Stone: two solo records

Mike: various side contributions and now his own record company

Ed: two solo records and various singles over the years

it would be awesome if all of these individual efforts would have been for PJ, but if they were, we might not have PJ anymore. 
    Fair point. But for some reason that frustrates me even more. I guess I’m getting bitter  Hopefully we get a new album soon. I’m dying for something. 
    I think at least one band member has said that if it weren't for side projects, the band would be no more. so they are a blessing in disguise I think. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    So nice to see people craving new music.  Not just tour dates.
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431

I think it's a sign of where the band is in terms of creative output. After 9 albums (over 100 songs), creating new music just isn't as easy anymore. We've all had to write open-ended essays in school; how much harder would it be to come up with ideas for your 100th after you've already composed 99 unique ones? As much as I'd love new PJ music, I'd hate for them to put out albums that are obligatory and forced just for the sake of staying active. I really hope that WHENEVER a new album comes out, it kicks ass and makes us all feel like it was worth the wait.
    For me, I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel with their music to stay active and relevant. Obviously, each their albums have different feels and I appreciate those efforts as much as the next PJ fan. Many times we (the PJ community) have admitted to have been spoiled rotten by this band and their efforts. Has their appreciation, in turn, finally grown into expectations? I think so...

Not apples to apples here. At all. But when I listen to AC/DC, sure the songs are varied, but they all sound about the same save a riff or two. And somehow, that's ok, because they rock it and own the relatively small stylistic range they operate in. I don't want a generic PJ album for an album's sake, but I don't need or expect a "new" sound or concept album. If the guys are dry, then so be it, but sometimes I wonder if there is an external pressure present that has kept them from being productive as a band. That would be sad :(

I want new music too. No pressure ;)
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    PJinIL said:

I think it's a sign of where the band is in terms of creative output. After 9 albums (over 100 songs), creating new music just isn't as easy anymore. We've all had to write open-ended essays in school; how much harder would it be to come up with ideas for your 100th after you've already composed 99 unique ones? As much as I'd love new PJ music, I'd hate for them to put out albums that are obligatory and forced just for the sake of staying active. I really hope that WHENEVER a new album comes out, it kicks ass and makes us all feel like it was worth the wait.
    For me, I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel with their music to stay active and relevant. Obviously, each their albums have different feels and I appreciate those efforts as much as the next PJ fan. Many times we (the PJ community) have admitted to have been spoiled rotten by this band and their efforts. Has their appreciation, in turn, finally grown into expectations? I think so...

Not apples to apples here. At all. But when I listen to AC/DC, sure the songs are varied, but they all sound about the same save a riff or two. And somehow, that's ok, because they rock it and own the relatively small stylistic range they operate in. I don't want a generic PJ album for an album's sake, but I don't need or expect a "new" sound or concept album. If the guys are dry, then so be it, but sometimes I wonder if there is an external pressure present that has kept them from being productive as a band. That would be sad :(

I want new music too. No pressure ;)
    Very few bands/artists have an increased output and even fewer have an increased quality output in their later years.  While it would have been great had pearl jam steadily released a record every two years and and toured to suit, there just is not much if any of that to be seen anywhere.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Deadman said:
    So nice to see people craving new music.  Not just tour dates.
    If they announced a tour without any new record, I'd just do the Normal within 4hour drive of NYC Shows

A record....ill add some west coast, maybe Europe

Its hard not to go to a PJ Show nearby, and in some years its nice to have shows with no record ( dust off some oldies)….but its been a long long time

Id much rather have the new tunes on vinyl at this point than a few stadium shows
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    nicknyr15 said:

I think that’s embarrassing honestly. I know a bands output generally slows down as they age but that’s insane. I mean there are 5 songwriters in this band. Unlike a band like u2 where only half the band write. 

I hate to point back to the CRB (Chris Robinson Brotherhood) but Chris is not much younger, if at all, than the PJ guys. the Brotherhood does anywhere from 150 - 190+ shows a year. While finding time to write/record and release a new album every year or close to that.

Plus Chris is in 2 other groups (as the crow flies & Green Leaf Rustlers) when CRB is on break.

I swear he only stops for a week at Christmas time, that's it.

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    There’s totally going to be a huge announcement tomorrow!!!

that there are no plans and nothing in the works for the foreseeable future.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • There’s totally going to be a huge announcement tomorrow!!!

lol, what a dick.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    There’s totally going to be a huge announcement tomorrow!!!

lol, what a dick.
    That's what she said!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

U2 also do nothing musically outside of the band.

Jeff: RNDM - two albums
    Tres Mts: one album
    three solo albums
    Three Fish: 2 albums

Matt: one solo album plus SG

Stone: two solo records

Mike: various side contributions and now his own record company

Ed: two solo records and various singles over the years

it would be awesome if all of these individual efforts would have been for PJ, but if they were, we might not have PJ anymore. 
    Fair point. But for some reason that frustrates me even more. I guess I’m getting bitter  Hopefully we get a new album soon. I’m dying for something. 
    I hear where you're coming from.... My solace is that I LOOOOVE those RNDM albums. Those are better than PJ's last two albums by far. So if not making more PJ music is responsible for RNDM, then I'm actually pretty pleased about PJ suddenly not making music, especially considering what the music they now make sounds like.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    edited January 2019
    I said it before, they need to lock themselves in a studio somewhere and jam more. They are better when they collaborate. As opposed to bringing in 75% completed songs, separately.
    The first 6-8 albums have a definite feel to them. Their last 2 have good songs, but dont feel like albums. they feel like "heres our most recent songs". And I LOVE some of the songs off of them, but the albums themselves feel less cohesive. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    If you're also a fan of Tool the wait for every other band's new music is fine haha. PJ have released two albums since Avocado and 10000 Days came out on the same day. So I'm like "yeah sweet as, new music' if and when it comes. Cheers for the background of the stations and their DJs though. Makes me a little excited for the weekend. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I said it before, they need to lock themselves in a studio somewhere and jam more. They are better when they collaborate. As opposed to bringing in 75% completed songs, separately.
    The first 6-8 albums have a definite feel to them. Their last 2 have good songs, but dont feel like albums. they feel like "heres our most recent songs". And I LOVE some of the songs off of them, but the albums themselves feel less cohesive. 
    yep, but most bands of this longevity don't keep living in the same city, even the same country, after 25 years together. I just watched a video with the drummer of the Tea Party (canadian band), and the lead singer lives in australia, the drummer in southern ontario, the bassist in vancouver, so he was talking about the writing process compared to the first years of the band. they send each other ideas over the web, which, as you said, isn't nearly the same as jamming out a groove in the basement. 

they don't even like touring for a few weeks away from their families. writing a record isn't a finite endeavour, so getting them all together for that would be even harder. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vedd Hedd said:
    yep, but most bands of this longevity don't keep living in the same city, even the same country, after 25 years together. I just watched a video with the drummer of the Tea Party (canadian band), and the lead singer lives in australia, the drummer in southern ontario, the bassist in vancouver, so he was talking about the writing process compared to the first years of the band. they send each other ideas over the web, which, as you said, isn't nearly the same as jamming out a groove in the basement. 

they don't even like touring for a few weeks away from their families. writing a record isn't a finite endeavour, so getting them all together for that would be even harder. 
    I agree with all of that. Its just a byproduct of age. 

And yet, I feel they could still find the time to do it somehow, haha.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    FFS, that Alt Nation link is pretty funny
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 230
    Just to give this rumour some merit, there is a show next week... And if they did happen to record some sort of tribute to Chris, maybe now would be the time to release it. Just a thought...
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Just to give this rumour some merit, there is a show next week... And if they did happen to record some sort of tribute to Chris, maybe now would be the time to release it. Just a thought...
    That would make my year.
  • I mean we could be GNR fans. 

Axl waits 17 years to release 1 album of original material. 

11 years since then, we have just gotten to hear fresh Axl Rose studio vocals one time..... on Looney Toons. Not even joking 

Just saying. 
    I mean we could be GNR fans. 

11 years since then, we have just gotten to hear fresh Axl Rose studio vocals one time..... on Looney Toons. Not even joking 

Just saying. 
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Finally, a great Alt Nation article! :LOL:
    @on2legs For shame!!! ;)

Honestly, if Alt Nation became a news source that simply reported on the happenings on the 10C forum, like a forum gossip rag, that would be so funny and I'd be all over it ... Even after I became victim to it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    If I know what the article is about I'll post it in the comments so people don't click and they don't get the ad revenue. Petty I know but it gives me jollies and brightens up my commutes. Used to be an ok site until bugalugs thought taking the piss out of his readers' intelligence and losing credibility was worth the clickbait dollar.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018

Just saying. 
    :|   Leave Axl alone. 
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."

Just saying. 
    :|   Leave Axl alone. 
    look im just trying to rock the rock  ;)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,376
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Finally, a great Alt Nation article! :LOL:
    @on2legs For shame!!! ;)

Honestly, if Alt Nation became a news source that simply reported on the happenings on the 10C forum, like a forum gossip rag, that would be so funny and I'd be all over it ... Even after I became victim to it.
    Lol =)

I’ll give him credit for having a sense of humor about our comments.  And I’ll freely admit that typing comments on a phone day after day has completely destroyed my spelling and grammar.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    PB11041 said:
    Very few bands/artists have an increased output and even fewer have an increased quality output in their later years.  While it would have been great had pearl jam steadily released a record every two years and and toured to suit, there just is not much if any of that to be seen anywhere.
    It bears mentioning that 10 studio albums is pretty in line with what other still-active long-existing bands put out over the amount of time that PJ has been in existence. Case in point:

Nine Inch Nails: 9 studio albums (debuted in 1989)
    Radiohead: 9 studio albums (debuted in 1993)
    Metallica: 10 studio albums (debuted in 1983)
    RHCP: 11 studio albums (debuted in 1985)
    U2: 14 studio albums (debuted in 1980)
    R.E.M.: 15 studio albums (debuted in 1983... and broke up in 2011 due to fatigue with the music industry)

So while PJ's recent slowdown is certainly noticeable, perhaps they just started off too quickly. It's not easy to consistently churn out new music as a band, especially (as someone else mentioned) when individual members have their own side efforts going on. I'm grateful for what we've gotten and especially grateful that there's still the hope of new music to talk about.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    JT167846 said:
    If I know what the article is about I'll post it in the comments so people don't click and they don't get the ad revenue. Petty I know but it gives me jollies and brightens up my commutes. Used to be an ok site until bugalugs thought taking the piss out of his readers' intelligence and losing credibility was worth the clickbait dollar.
    i've seen plenty of people do this. it's hilarious. i actually just unfollowed on facebook last week. i couldn't take the clickbait anymore. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited January 2019
    JT167846 said:
    i've seen plenty of people do this. it's hilarious. i actually just unfollowed on facebook last week. i couldn't take the clickbait anymore. 
    Good.  I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been sued (by an artist) yet for his bullshit, misleading headlines.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    Or given a restraining order by Frances. Waiting for them to post "See Kurt Cobain's daughter's lady bits" and the subsequent fallout ha. Think they revelled in Billy Corgan calling them third rate after the D'Arcy debacle. Though even without that he'd be pissed at them for posting such filth about his friend's daughter. 

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018